Tell me about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Tell me about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, please

Anyone have them?

I posted a reply to a thread in the tires section, but have an urgent/immediate need for information.

I need to know if they are as rigid as the OEMs, or more so. I replaced the OEMs with Yokahama YK580's last week and hate them as they compromise the performance of the vehicle considerably.

I have to have ALL Seasons.

By the way, interested in the same question on the Conti DWS as well.

I did search on this topic, but didn't find anything related to handling, cornering, etc. on either of these tires.

TIA
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I have owned them in the past and they were a great tire (for an all season)

Though, I prefer the Conti DWS. My dad has had both on his Genesis and he likes the DWS the best as well.

Also check out tirerack.com you can compare the tires with test data and user comments
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
cobra611 (12-17-2012), Hogan9166 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I have owned them in the past and they were a great tire (for an all season)

Though, I prefer the Conti DWS. My dad has had both on his Genesis and he likes the DWS the best as well.

Also check out tirerack.com you can compare the tires with test data and user comments
Thanks. I have checked Consumer Reports, but not TireRack. I will do that.

Can you speak specifically to how the tires feel in cornering or in "slalom" type handling? I really enjoyed driving this car and that has fallen off considerably since driving on the Yoki's.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
No a/s are perfect. The DWS tire is not the most rigid tire, and I think,less so then oem. However it is a VERY good all around tire, that is better than oem. It's quieter, and smoother. I have no trouble with the way it handles. It's grips much better than oem. Read the reviews at tire rack. I find that site very helpful as well as car forums, picking tires. DWS has a very good reputation and has less negative reviews then just about any other all season. I love my DWS.
The following users liked this post:
Hogan9166 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dwest1023
No a/s are perfect. The DWS tire is not the most rigid tire, and I think,less so then oem. However it is a VERY good all around tire, that is better than oem. It's quieter, and smoother. I have no trouble with the way it handles. It's grips much better than oem. Read the reviews at tire rack. I find that site very helpful as well as car forums, picking tires. DWS has a very good reputation and has less negative reviews then just about any other all season. I love my DWS.
Thanks. When you say "a/s are perfect", do you mean the Michelins? You go from there into a review of the DWS, so I wasn't sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogan9166
Thanks. When you say "a/s are perfect", do you mean the Michelins? You go from there into a review of the DWS, so I wasn't sure.

Sorry, I meant no A/S IS perfect.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
You don't say where you are so we can't advise you if A/S (aka no-season) tires are correct for your situation but the Conti DWS and the Michelins are by far some of the best A/S tires out there for three seasons.

No A/S tire will do well in snow or when the temps fall below freezing as they are, by definition, a compromise to be decent during three seasons and acceptable during the fourth.

One link

Two link

Three link

I run DW on one car and switch to DWS during the winter. That car will never see snow or ice.

The other car runs DWS most of the year and Conti WinterExtremes during the winter.
Hogan9166 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
You don't say where you are so we can't advise you if A/S (aka no-season) tires are correct for your situation but the Conti DWS and the Michelins are by far some of the best A/S tires out there for three seasons.

No A/S tire will do well in snow or when the temps fall below freezing as they are, by definition, a compromise to be decent during three seasons and acceptable during the fourth.

One link

Two link

Three link

I run DW on one car and switch to DWS during the winter. That car will never see snow or ice.

The other car runs DWS most of the year and Conti WinterExtremes during the winter.
Good stuff. Thanks for the information. I'm in Cincinnati, OH where we rarely get anymore than an inch or two of snow or ice at a time. A good A/S tire will do me just fine. Thanks for the links. Very informative.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Good stuff. Thanks for the information. I'm in Cincinnati, OH where we rarely get anymore than an inch or two of snow or ice at a time. A good A/S tire will do me just fine. Thanks for the links. Very informative.
>>ceb gets on his soapbox<<

Any amount of snow or ice can be lethal with an all-season tire. Ask yourself these two questions

Can I leave the car at home on those couple of days when the weather is bad?

Do I have the time and money for the bodyshop if my all-season tires decide that they are really three season tires?

If the answer to both is "yes" then keep the all-seasons.

One interesting statistic is that there are way more accidents during those "couple days" of snow than there are during extended snowfalls. There are a couple of reasons - one is that drivers don't have the experience with driving in snow and are much more likely to overestimate their abilities.

Me? I'd rather put snows on early and take them off early rather than put them on late and leave them on until I know the last snow is gone - that's why I have all-seasons for the three seasons.

>> ceb gets off his soapbox, trips and bloodies his nose<<

I guess you can tell that I'm an advocate for snow tires. Once you've driven with snow tires you'll ride on all seasons in the winter.
Hogan9166 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Pro

The question isn't whether I'm getting all season tires or not. That's a given. It's what all season to get that give me the highest performance in dry and wet conditions. Snow is an anomaly here and I have LOTS of experience driving in snow on all seasons anyway.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
+Best A/S tire I've ever owned.

-Very expensive.
Hogan9166 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Marco

-Very expensive.
Thanks. Just ordered them. Will be on tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The question isn't whether I'm getting all season tires or not. That's a given. It's what all season to get that give me the highest performance in dry and wet conditions. Snow is an anomaly here and I have LOTS of experience driving in snow on all seasons anyway.
Let's hope those aren't famous last words. The DWS are outstanding A/S tires and far cheaper than the Michelins. Good luck and tell us how you like them.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Many members have upgraded to DWS from stock.

The DWS is a high-performance A/S tire, and the stock is a grand-touring A/S tire.

The DWS will perform much better than the stock Michelin. With DWS, you can now take corners at significantly higher speed than with the stock Michelin, especially in the dry.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Pro

Thanks. Just ordered them. Will be on tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Mr Marco

-Very expensive.
Just had them put on late yesterday afternoon. I have over 180 miles on them already...mostly highway, but love them. MUCH better and more firm than the crappy Yokohama's I had on there for a week.

Originally Posted by ceb
Let's hope those aren't famous last words. The DWS are outstanding A/S tires and far cheaper than the Michelins. Good luck and tell us how you like them.
Seems to me that you won't be happy unless I agree with you. I drove for 17 years in Nebraska, so have lots of experience driving in snow. I did have snow tires on my '68 Mustang, but beyond that, have run all seasons the rest of the time.

Frankly, if it snows too much, it becomes a drive only as needed situation and then take it very carefully. There are very few drivers in my area that will drive over 20-25 even is there's a dusting on the ground.

We're good.

Thanks to everyone for all the information.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Did you know snow tires aren't really about being able to drive through deep snow better than an all season? What they are really about is being able to perform emergency maneuvers to help avoid stuff(at 30 mph there is roughly 30 feet difference in stopping distance, that could mean accident or not)

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I found running higher than the cars recommended psi (which I do anyway to get the most of the tire, disclaimer..never exceeding the tires rating) made the tire not feel as though it had a soft sidewall.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ceb
>>ceb gets on his soapbox<<

Any amount of snow or ice can be lethal with an all-season tire. Ask yourself these two questions

Can I leave the car at home on those couple of days when the weather is bad?

Do I have the time and money for the bodyshop if my all-season tires decide that they are really three season tires?

If the answer to both is "yes" then keep the all-seasons.

One interesting statistic is that there are way more accidents during those "couple days" of snow than there are during extended snowfalls. There are a couple of reasons - one is that drivers don't have the experience with driving in snow and are much more likely to overestimate their abilities.

Me? I'd rather put snows on early and take them off early rather than put them on late and leave them on until I know the last snow is gone - that's why I have all-seasons for the three seasons.

>> ceb gets off his soapbox, trips and bloodies his nose<<

I guess you can tell that I'm an advocate for snow tires. Once you've driven with snow tires you'll ride on all seasons in the winter.
I agree 100%
I also wish it was mandatory for all vehicles to run snow tires in any state that sees snow annually.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Pro

I agree 100%
I also wish it was mandatory for all vehicles to run snow tires in any state that sees snow annually.
Yeah. Because its such a huge issue and everyone can afford two sets of tires for each of their vehicles and has the place to store them. Funny.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro

Did you know snow tires aren't really about being able to drive through deep snow better than an all season? What they are really about is being able to perform emergency maneuvers to help avoid stuff(at 30 mph there is roughly 30 feet difference in stopping distance, that could mean accident or not)

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter
Yes I do. I also know there are other ways to be safe in in lament weather like slowing down and increasing following distance. I also know I have to worry about the other guy, too, but that's why I have airbags, seat belts and insurance.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Yes I do. I also know there are other ways to be safe in in lament weather like slowing down and increasing following distance. I also know I have to worry about the other guy, too, but that's why I have airbags, seat belts and insurance.
And that's why you have medical insurance and life insurance, right?

Ask anyone who has been involved in a snow related accident and they'll tell you that it makes more sense to spend $1k on a set of snow tires and wheels than to spend your $1k on your insurance deductible, a couple hours in a ditch and a trip to the hospital.

Remember that the mileage driven on your snow tires increases the life of your regular tires by the same amount so the actual cost is only for your wheels and you can find those cheaply.
justnspace (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

And even when you do that there are time where that's not enough. "that's why you have airbags, seat belts and insurance" since you think those are enough to keep you safe why not add snow tires? They will keep you safer than the above

Yeah. Because its such a huge issue and everyone can afford two sets of tires for each of their vehicles and has the place to store them. Funny.
It is a huge issue that most people have your same mentality. If people were properly educated on them more would use them. As for being able to afford them, that's part of life. There are many things I don't want to pay for but I have to. Plus owning them will extend the life of your all seasons reducing the frequency of having to replace them. Storing them is a poor excuse. 4 tires don't take up that much room and many places will store them for you, dealers being one of them if you bought the car and tires from them.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ceb
And that's why you have medical insurance and life insurance, right?

Ask anyone who has been involved in a snow related accident and they'll tell you that it makes more sense to spend $1k on a set of snow tires and wheels than to spend your $1k on your insurance deductible, a couple hours in a ditch and a trip to the hospital.

Remember that the mileage driven on your snow tires increases the life of your regular tires by the same amount so the actual cost is only for your wheels and you can find those cheaply.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Pro

And even when you do that there are time where that's not enough. "that's why you have airbags, seat belts and insurance" since you think those are enough to keep you safe why not add snow tires? They will keep you safer than the above

It is a huge issue that most people have your same mentality. If people were properly educated on them more would use them. As for being able to afford them, that's part of life. There are many things I don't want to pay for but I have to. Plus owning them will extend the life of your all seasons reducing the frequency of having to replace them. Storing them is a poor excuse. 4 tires don't take up that much room and many places will store them for you, dealers being one of them if you bought the car and tires from them.
I don't live in Appleton, WI. I live in Cincinnati, OH. Our winters are very different than yours, hence the difference in need. I don't need, nor do I want another set of tires that I'll benefit from very seldomly. Period.

We are possibly expecting our first inch of snow in two years tomorrow. You think that justifies spending $1k on an additional set of wheels and tires? I don't think so.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I don't live in Appleton, WI. I live in Cincinnati, OH. Our winters are very different than yours, hence the difference in need. I don't need, nor do I want another set of tires that I'll benefit from very seldomly. Period.

We are possibly expecting our first inch of snow in two years tomorrow. You think that justifies spending $1k on an additional set of wheels and tires? I don't think so.
Depends if that first inch is enough to cause you to slide into somebody because you haven't driven in snow for two years and overestimate your snow driving prowess - or some other idiot starts sliding and you can't get out of the way.

The majority of accidents happen on the first day of a storm with little snow on the road. Snow is snow, WI or OH. The only difference is that in OH you can say "I'll stay home whenever it snows" - it that case you don't need ANY tires.

Last edited by ceb; 12-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Pro

Wow. I bet you're fun at parties. You're the first to bring up religion and politics, aren't you?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

I dont need nor do i want vehicles with VSA but im stuck having to have it now

I guess i should have said annually with a specific amount, maybe you might be happier. But to say you dont need them, MAYBE you may not but there are always plenty of situations even with 1 inch where they would benefit you, but there are PLENTY of people that their driving skills would HIGHLY benefit from them.

And yes, if you get snow (doesnt have to be the Blizzard like we are getting now with 12-18") spending the money on the tires is justified, like i said before, snow tires arent about how much deep snow they can drive thru, but its the smaller amounts and ice that they really benefit the driver. Is the chance of injury to you or others justified when something as simple as snow tires could have prevented an accident?

Last edited by fsttyms1; 12-20-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's okay Hogan, ceb doesn't care to let things go very easily. He does make some very good points, but won't let it slide until you agree with his views.

Do snow tires help in the snow? Absolutely. That's what they are designed for. However, I have to agree with you, Hogan. Cincy does not see nearly enough snowfall to warrant their use in the case of most drivers.

I live in northern Ohio and we saw a nasty bit of weather the past couple days from the storm that moved across the country. I happened to be out shopping last night with a friend and the roads were pretty nasty. Plows were barely doing anything because it was blowing so much. Most major roads had anywhere from 2-4 inches covered. Back roads had more. It was the first decent snowfall of the year and drivers definitely forgot how to drive... they always do. But if you can avoid the traffic and other forgetful people, drive slow enough, careful and alert, you'll do fine. Then again you know that since you've been through Nebraska winters... very underrated as far as how nasty they can be!

I wouldn't necessarily assume that people who post on these forums are members of that "forgetful club". I'd like to believe that most people on here are relatively responsible and careful drivers!

except me... I was out in that mess on my 'bald' tires.

In all seriousness... There's a lot of driving to be done around the holidays and some of our winters aren't pleasant. Be safe everyone!!!!

Last edited by tblood; 12-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe it would be best to stay home when it snows and the venture out after the snow stops and the roads are cleared if you live in an area with low snow fall.

I live in Jersey and would rather stay home and avoid the Snow Angel Ballerinas, with or without snow tires.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
Maybe it would be best to stay home when it snows and the venture out after the snow stops and the roads are cleared if you live in an area with low snow fall.

I live in Jersey and would rather stay home and avoid the Snow Angel Ballerinas, with or without snow tires.
That is certainly ideal if one can avoid going out, but that's not always possible. We got more snow in the last few days than we've had in a couple years and there were a few times when I had to venture out.

The Pilot Sport A/Ss performed very well in the snow with careful driving and I am very happy with my purchase. I did have the opportunity to push them a bit in an empty parking lot, to test them out with emergency procedures and am very comfortable with how they performed.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Snow is nothing to be scared at, especially with the advanced SH-AWD, dedicated snow tires, and drive at the appropriate speed according to the road conditions.