TEIN SS w/EDFC vs XLR8 Coils? Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
TEIN SS w/EDFC vs XLR8 Coils? Opinions needed

I decided against the springs and going to get some coils. First time ever in my life to have coils and I always had just springs. I want to keep the ride close as possible to the way it is now, but lower the car some. I like the ability to adjust the TEIN electronically too. But I hear the XLR8 have more adjustments and can go lower. Really how low is low on the TEIN vs the XLR8?

Also can you actually adjust the rears of the XLR8 without removing the interior each time?

Anyone own both?

Need opinions as I plan to purchase fast.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

What else will I need for this setup? I know alignment, but do I really need camber/toe arms as thats another 300-500 bucks that I wasn't expecting till I read now. I don't plan to do a slammed ride. Just a nice drop to make it look more flush and the adjust ability of ride.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
If you lower the car such that an alignment job is able to adjust all suspension geometries back to the factory specs, then you won't need any aftermarket arms/rods.

But once you have gone over any alignment adjustment limits, then you will need them or risk shortening the life of your expensive tires.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
I decided against the springs and going to get some coils. First time ever in my life to have coils and I always had just springs. I want to keep the ride close as possible to the way it is now, but lower the car some. I like the ability to adjust the TEIN electronically too. But I hear the XLR8 have more adjustments and can go lower. Really how low is low on the TEIN vs the XLR8?
yes xlr8 can go lower.. edfc wont work with xlr8 coils.

no point of going with xlr8 unless your going for that hella slammed look because that is all that is good for.

as far as adjusting.. you will have to do a trial and error type of thing. you will need to adjust then drive it around then adjust till you are satisfied.

Also can you actually adjust the rears of the XLR8 without removing the interior each time?
no, you will have to remove the rear everytime you adjust..

Anyone own both?
i dont think anyone has gone out of their way to own both types of suspensions. but i do have tein ss and they ride way smoother than stock

Need opinions as I plan to purchase fast.
go with tein ss as they have the option to use edfc.. also it is a company that has been around for centuries.. go with the Japanese brand.

if your not going with that hella flush look, dont bother with xlr8.. only difference inbetween is that xlr8 can go lower.. otherwise go with tein ss
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The TEIN coilovers will be softer than our XLR8 ISC coilovers because they will reuse the top upper mounts with rubber rings, whereas our coilovers use aluminum upper mounts which are more rigid.

Yes it would require removal of the seat to adjust damping in the rear without the EDFC (the EDFC only works with TEIN coilovers).

You may need a rear camber/toe kit depending on how low you go but you should get an alignment first to find out. If you do need one I'd recommend the INGALLS kit.

The difference though with the XLR8 ISC coilovers and the TEIN coilover also is more than just slamming the car. Our XLR8 ISC coilovers come with top hats, more damping adjustment, more ride height adjustment, and a fully threaded shock body.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
The TEIN coilovers will be softer than our XLR8 ISC coilovers because they will reuse the top upper mounts with rubber rings, whereas our coilovers use aluminum upper mounts which are more rigid.

Yes it would require removal of the seat to adjust damping in the rear without the EDFC (the EDFC only works with TEIN coilovers).

You may need a rear camber/toe kit depending on how low you go but you should get an alignment first to find out. If you do need one I'd recommend the INGALLS kit.

The difference though with the XLR8 ISC coilovers and the TEIN coilover also is more than just slamming the car. Our XLR8 ISC coilovers come with top hats, more damping adjustment, more ride height adjustment, and a fully threaded shock body.

yup, pretty much explains it all.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Thanks guys. It will probably be the Tein SS with EDFC!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate

Does this apply to the street/comfort spring rate xlr8 isc coilovers? Are the tein ss still softer than xlr8 isc street/comfort? I'm leaning towards isc cause I don't think I'll need edfc too much. Plus 2 year warranty on the xlr8's coils is nice.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Triplebeesoul
Does this apply to the street/comfort spring rate xlr8 isc coilovers? Are the tein ss still softer than xlr8 isc street/comfort? I'm leaning towards isc cause I don't think I'll need edfc too much. Plus 2 year warranty on the xlr8's coils is nice.
It will be close. Again, because our coilovers use an aluminum top mount it makes them slightly firmer than the TEINs but not because of the spring rate but due to the top mount. With the Street/Comfort setup the ride is comfortable, not as much as OE, but definitely on par with the TEIN SS.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Safety Car

For me to not take apart my factory assemblies what exactly do I need for the twins top hat to mount off the factory? I am going to buy new top hats. Anyone at has swapped over parts able to tell me ?

Both front and rear correct?