SH-AWD - Michelin Pilot MXM4 vs Premier A/S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
SH-AWD - Michelin Pilot MXM4 vs Premier A/S

I've spent about 30 minutes going thru the various tire posts here, and can't really find the data I'm looking for - so hoping this focused thread may help me and others...

My wife's '12 TL SH-AWD Tech has a set of Factory Michelin Pilot MXM4's on it. These tires were manufactured in mid-2011 (per DOT code), and are starting to get some rubber cracking due to age. These tires are run only in the summer (dedicated winter tires on 17" rims). Car has only 47K miles on it now, and I figure maybe 30K of that is summer driving. The tread depth on the MXM4's is probably at 4-5 32nds so due to change anyway, but the cracking due to age is the tipping point.

Wife is requiring Michelins on the car, and something that will keep similar handling characteristics to what she's used to. She's not a "spirited" driver by any means, but she's also not a passive driver - so she'd notice if handling got squishier than she was used to. My local tire dealer who I've used for decades is suggesting a set of Premier A/S as a replacement, saying that the handling is similar and the longevity of the tires should be better. Plus they're a bit more forgiving in normal driving in noise and feeling over the bumps.

Looking to see if anyone has gone from the Factory Pilot's to the Premier A/S tires and had any observations?

thanks - andy
Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I have not made this switch (yet), but just replaced the tires on my son's Accord. Our tire dealer said the MXV4 Primacys (hard to get, no longer in production) are actually better in his opinion than the Premiers. I think you can ascertain some data from Tirerack.com to allow you to compare the tires. We went with the Primacys (and saved quite a bit of $$ in the offing). Good luck.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
^^ The Primacy MXV4 is pretty soft in my experience.

Not exactly an answer you are looking for but I got the Permier A/S for my MDX to replace the Latitude HPs. I think they are an improvement.

If your wife isn't complaining about the Pilot MXM4, why not get her the same set?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Both are Grand Touring tires, so you are getting ride comfort, and quiet over performance. Which is not a bad thing, we had good luck with the Bridgestone Serenity when my wife drove the car the 1st year. I know someone who has the 2009 stock FWD base model with the Premiers. Older man, Rich likes the tires for solid smooth ride is not about performance in the least. Type of guy who would shift at 3000 rpm if it was a manual cause he did not want to stress the engine, so very mellow guy.
Another popular grand touring Pirelli Cinturato P7 all Season/
Unless you are set on a certain tire, you can always go to a local dealer with 30 day guaranty pick a tire dont like it, switch it up. I think we test drove Bridgestone Serenity Michlelin Pilot Sport AS3+, Continental DWS (older) and I think Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. What she wanted was very different than what I drive now. I use Summer/Winter set up

Last edited by Anicra; 03-16-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
I would get a Summer tire. I have been using Continental DW and they are quieter than the Michelin's. The successor to the DW is below and it's even better.....

https://blog.caranddriver.com/its-ex...contact-sport/

Just change your tires earlier in the season so you don't get caught with summer tires in the snow. I change my tires in the first week of November.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
FYI - thought I'd follow up. Had the OEM tires replaced with the same Michelin Pilot MXM4 245-45R18 V tires and it's amazing how improved the overall ride quality is - frankly better than the original set from back in 2012. They spun up smooth on the Road Force balancer with negligible road force readings, and are like glass on the highway. Handling is crisp and predictable, and driving through rainy roads last evening was much more stable than with the worn OEM's. But the most important thing is the wife is happy, as she heads into year 7 of her TL ownership.

andy
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (04-12-2018)