Replacing front suspension. OEM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Replacing front suspension. OEM or aftermarket?

Hey,

Cars hitting 100k and the front suspension is getting a little weak and is starting to be noticeable. I was wondering if an aftermarket solution would be a better deal or stick with the OEM spring/struts? I just replaced the rear suspension after one side failed at 85k with the OEM spring/strut assembly.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I was in the same boat about 6 months ago. Had about 145K and felt like the suspension was getting a little soft. I just about pulled the trigger on the TEIN street advance but after thinking about it, I decided to just stick to OEM. I was happy enough with the handling as-is. I've only changed the two front strut assemblies but it definitely breathed new life into the car. I changed the sway bar end links, outer tie rods and upper control arms at the same time. Feels totally different now (in a good way....).

I just ordered mine on oemacuraparts.com for $163 each. Also much cheaper than aftermarket. All of the other parts I ordered from Rockauto.com. I wanted OEM for the assemblies but the aftermarket provides good OE stuff at a much lower price.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Pro

Nice, yeah I bought the OEM struts for the rear from the dealer in Del Roy FL? Or some florida beach town. Best dealer IMO. Super cheap and great shipping rates. I'll check out oemacuraparts.com as well. Did you -need- to change the other parts? I'm a DIY guy so dunno how that's gonna be doing it myself vs someone trained to do it.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm at 115K and decided to go with Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni Yellows. 3 out of 4 of my struts were leaking. It was about $500 more than OEM, but I want to keep my car for another 100K and have some fun while I'm at it.

I highly recommend Delray Acura for OEM parts. I just recently ordered about $900 worth of parts from them (axles, wheel bearings, ball joints, sway bar end links, etc.) and they were very quick. Since you already bought the rear OEM spring/strut assemblies, I would just go with OEM for the front.

I know most people will say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but since you will be disassembling most of the suspension anyways, it's worth performing some preventative maintenance. In my case my axles and wheel bearings are shot, so I went through and ordered everything else that I'll be removing anyways. At the very least, tie rods and sway bar end links are easy to replace.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
I'm at 115K and decided to go with Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni Yellows. 3 out of 4 of my struts were leaking. It was about $500 more than OEM, but I want to keep my car for another 100K and have some fun while I'm at it.

I highly recommend Delray Acura for OEM parts. I just recently ordered about $900 worth of parts from them (axles, wheel bearings, ball joints, sway bar end links, etc.) and they were very quick. Since you already bought the rear OEM spring/strut assemblies, I would just go with OEM for the front.

I know most people will say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but since you will be disassembling most of the suspension anyways, it's worth performing some preventative maintenance. In my case my axles and wheel bearings are shot, so I went through and ordered everything else that I'll be removing anyways. At the very least, tie rods and sway bar end links are easy to replace.
Snap! Did Delray OEM parts website close down? or maybe just temporary? I can't access it right now. Will call them later to find out. Was about to place an order for the front assembly. =/
Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
I used DelrayAcuraOEMParts, earlier this morning, without an issue! Just tried them again, no problem!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
I used DelrayAcuraOEMParts, earlier this morning, without an issue! Just tried them again, no problem!
Yup! they were just down last night =)