Question for those lowered: Did you need a front camber kit?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question for those lowered: Did you need a front camber kit?

So yeah, I'm lowered on tein s-techs and after my alignment, my front passenger side camber is off -1.3 degrees. I already have a rear camber kit waiting to be installed, but i'm debating about getting a front one. -1.3 degrees is right on the line for being out of spec.

I have had two bad scenarios trying to order the front ingalls ball joint. One site was back ordered. The other site was in stock but that fell through. I ordered it from them on May 17th and it STILL has NOT shipped so i just cancelled it today. Now i'm debating getting the front camber kit at all cause I've been driving around with negative camber on my rears for a while and dont' want to continue wearing them out... especially since I'm going on a long road trip this coming weekend.

So i'd like to put my camber kit on tomorrow, but I guess I will wait if i need that front camber kit and do it all at once. They already tried to align it and came up with -1.3 degrees.... so is there a reason for me to believe they can get it within spec on a second "try"?

From what I've read, some people here seem to have been able to stay within spec for the front after being lowered. And then others have needed a front camber kit...

So, my question is did you guys need a front camber kit too? Should the shop be able to get my front within spec? S-techs give a drop of F: 1.6" and R: 1.5" so it's not slammed...

Please let me know guys, a sufficient answer would consist of:

1. what you are lowered on/your approximate drop in inches
2. if you needed a FRONT camber kit or not

Thanks.

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-05-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
im lowered on coils tire right on fender.. no gap and im within specs..

no camber front or rear.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
You don't need front kit...Keep toe at 0 and you will be fine...Toe is the tire killer...
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Thanks for the replies guys.

@potz How is that possible to be lowered that much without needing at least a rear camber kit? Lucky you i guess?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne
Thanks for the replies guys.

@potz How is that possible to be lowered that much without needing at least a rear camber kit? Lucky you i guess?

dunno.. had my tein coils on since 9500 miles.

now that im at 32000 miles.. i still have even tire ware on my stock 18's

the guy that did my alignment did suggest that i get camber kit just so i can get my car aligned perfectly but when i asked him if i can get away with getting one, he said that im only off by slightly and it shouldn't make a difference as long as i get an alignment every 4 months i should be good.

i get an alignment 2-3 times a year anyways so im fine.. been running 2 years like this no issues.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm lowered on coilovers, currently 3/8" from bottom in the front and about 1.5" from bottom in the rear. I needed and installed a rear camber kit in the back. Keep in mind once you install the kit, it will raise or straighted the car up a little in the front and rear. So having a little negative camber is good for handling/performance reasons. Plus by the time the tire wears out even with a slight negative camber you will need new tires anyway.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll skip the front camber kit. Plan to get the rear camber kit installed today after work if all goes according to play.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
Nice..
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I EFFED up!!! So I aggressively dropped (not slammed) the car on Tien SS. Before I got the car aligned I ordered SPC front and rear Camber kits after reading thread after thread about lowering the TL. I went back to the same shop that did the coils only to find out that its just as expensive to install the camber kits as it is to do the coils! And to top it all off I'm not totally convinced that I needed to purchase all this camber kit crap + install = $1000!!!!! ...... I got spooked by people experiencing handling issues ("play" in the steering wheel, not responding to steering input sharply etc.) after lowering and alignment... many have reported that after a kit install all handling and steering issues were resolved.

The lesson here to all that read these threads as I have is as follows : GET THE ALIGNMENT BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING! It could save you $$$$ and a$$ pain if you could get it back into spec without buying a bunch of unnecessary parts. However if your going to run a stretched tire or slam the car the expenditure might be justifiable.

Last edited by jenkinsinc; 06-15-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

I'm slightly confused. You don't know if you needed the kit or not? Did you get a printout of the specs before the kit? Cause my camber was off 2.3 degrees in the rear... After the camber kit, everything was in spec. So it definitely was "necessary" for me in the sense it is now back in spec... granted I obviously could have ran without the kit and dealt with the consequences of increased tire wear and the cost of it.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
oops is that your face?

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jenkinsinc
I think I EFFED up!!! So I aggressively dropped (not slammed) the car on Tien SS. Before I got the car aligned I ordered SPC front and rear Camber kits after reading thread after thread about lowering the TL. I went back to the same shop that did the coils only to find out that its just as expensive to install the camber kits as it is to do the coils! And to top it all off I'm not totally convinced that I needed to purchase all this camber kit crap + install = $1000!!!!! ...... I got spooked by people experiencing handling issues ("play" in the steering wheel, not responding to steering input sharply etc.) after lowering and alignment... many have reported that after a kit install all handling and steering issues were resolved.

The lesson here to all that read these threads as I have is as follows : GET THE ALIGNMENT BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING! It could save you $$$$ and a$$ pain if you could get it back into spec without buying a bunch of unnecessary parts. However if your going to run a stretched tire or slam the car the expenditure might be justifiable.
ur first problem was paying someone to install ur coilovers then ur second screw up was paying to install the camber kit. save ur money next time for the alignment and that's it, everything else can be done with a socket set and maybe a buddy if ur feeling uneasy about ur abilities. oh I'm slammed on teins with only a camber kit in the rear, got an alignment and toe is good all around and camber it perfect in the rear, front is at -1.6 camber but no uneven tire wear or stability issues
The following users liked this post:
Unknownerror0010011 (05-12-2019)
Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

WTF!!!! So I went to firestone to get the lifetime alignment... everything was well (in spec) and I wanted to push the car a little. I was cornering hard and heard a loud pop... now when turning I get a loud clunk or popping sound and the alignment is off again!!!.... Im going the fU(K off on them when they open tomorrow... Ill give you guys an update when they fix my SHYT!.. Sounds like tie rod ends.... what do you guys think this is??

Last edited by jenkinsinc; 06-17-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cazio
ur first problem was paying someone to install ur coilovers then ur second screw up was paying to install the camber kit. save ur money next time for the alignment and that's it, everything else can be done with a socket set and maybe a buddy if ur feeling uneasy about ur abilities. oh I'm slammed on teins with only a camber kit in the rear, got an alignment and toe is good all around and camber it perfect in the rear, front is at -1.6 camber but no uneven tire wear or stability issues
I've performed all my installs on most of my imports when I was in my 20's but I'm a little older now with kids in gymnastics, cheer, soccer etc. so banging around in my garage isn't conducive to my lifestyle these days ( I SO wish it was). But I agree 100% DIY is the way to go if you have the time.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 PM
toferdisobey

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
dunno.. had my tein coils on since 9500 miles.

now that im at 32000 miles.. i still have even tire ware on my stock 18's

the guy that did my alignment did suggest that i get camber kit just so i can get my car aligned perfectly but when i asked him if i can get away with getting one, he said that im only off by slightly and it shouldn't make a difference as long as i get an alignment every 4 months i should be good.

i get an alignment 2-3 times a year anyways so im fine.. been running 2 years like this no issues.
Hey man, how low did you go? I'm getting the same coilovers tein SA and I only want a slight drop like 1" but not sure yet. Thanks for the info.