NEWBIE: Question about coilovers/spring for slight drop

Old 12-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWBIE: Question about coilovers/spring for slight drop

Hi Guys - new to the site and forum.

I absolutely love my 2012 Acura TL, was my big brothers and finally I bought it from him. Has 120k miles and just did full tune up and timing belt on her 10k miles ago.

I found a good deal on a staggered setup for Niche Verona 20x9/10 but when I mounted em I could not stand the wheel gap and lifted look.

Upon reading several threads it looks like TEIN SA/SS seem like the way to go, but are there folks out there with mileage like mine who have just gone with lowering springs?

If so, what is a good spring setup and how much of a drop should I be looking for? thanks to all in advance - will be posting some pics here shortly if I can find out how (help on posting pics is appreciated)
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

anyone want to chime in??
Old 12-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
120k miles on your oem struts. In my opinion, I would just go with a coilover setup because chances are those old struts maybe on their last leg. Even more so if you're installing new lowering springs. The Tein SA on heeltoe is going for $485 right now. I'm lowered on Tein SA and close to a 2" drop with 20x10 with 245/35/20 tires.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

awesome - great advice JTECH.

I will most likely go that route and do it right the first time, plus it will prevent another headache when the OEM struts/shocks go out in the future.

Question for you, did you install the coilovers yourself? I am so busy I will most likely have my buddies shop do it for timing.

Along with the Tein SA - did you do the camber kit that everyone is talking about on these supension forums or did you not need it?

I will be running 20x10 in the back but with 275/30/20. Thanks in advance! and please post some pics of your Acura it looks fire from the small profile pic, we might have twins lol.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nkarimi91
awesome - great advice JTECH.

I will most likely go that route and do it right the first time, plus it will prevent another headache when the OEM struts/shocks go out in the future.

Question for you, did you install the coilovers yourself? I am so busy I will most likely have my buddies shop do it for timing.

Along with the Tein SA - did you do the camber kit that everyone is talking about on these supension forums or did you not need it?

I will be running 20x10 in the back but with 275/30/20. Thanks in advance! and please post some pics of your Acura it looks fire from the small profile pic, we might have twins lol.
Yeah, I did the install myself with the help of my cousin. I only have the rear camber kit. I didn't need the fronts. I guess my drop wasn't too bad. Some people get away with not needing them and some people aren't, so it really depends on how low you go. When you take your car in for a alignment after your coil over settles in is when you'll find out if you need it or not. That 275/30/20 rear tire, you might get some rubbing issues and will probably have to roll your fenders. That one I can't really say if it'll work or not. I'm leaning more towards no from what I've read through the forum.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jtech316
Yeah, I did the install myself with the help of my cousin. I only have the rear camber kit. I didn't need the fronts. I guess my drop wasn't too bad. Some people get away with not needing them and some people aren't, so it really depends on how low you go. When you take your car in for a alignment after your coil over settles in is when you'll find out if you need it or not. That 275/30/20 rear tire, you might get some rubbing issues and will probably have to roll your fenders. That one I can't really say if it'll work or not. I'm leaning more towards no from what I've read through the forum.

thanks again- I didn't think I could run 245/35/20 on a 20x10 but you seem to have this setup.. if rubbing is going to be an issue I would rather slim the width on my tires some and hope NOT to have to roll fenders - have had bad experience with this in the past.

I will keep you updated, thanks again JTECH for the opinion and advice.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Racer

thanks again- I didn't think I could run 245/35/20 on a 20x10 but you seem to have this setup.. if rubbing is going to be an issue I would rather slim the width on my tires some and hope NOT to have to roll fenders - have had bad experience with this in the past.

I will keep you updated, thanks again JTECH for the opinion and advice.
no prob man. i'm not sure if you're into the stretch look but 245/35/20 does have a slight stretch on it. Close to rubbing but haven't rubbed once and it's been close to 3 years now.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

awesome looking whip!! which Niche wheels are those? I am running Niche Veronas staggered setup and offset are +35/40 what about yours?

Also - you mind sharing full side angle of your TL. looks like a super nice fitment and you have helped me decide which route to go so I really appreciate it brother!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

no prob man. i'm not sure if you're into the stretch look but 245/35/20 does have a slight stretch on it. Close to rubbing but haven't rubbed once and it's been close to 3 years now.

might have the same wheels LOL - for some reason they look different and cleaner mounted on your TL.....
Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
At that mileage defiantly go with the TEIN Street Advance coil overs, everyone likes them and they don't cost too much.

Im surprised Jtech316 isn't rubbing in the back! My 20x9.5 +35 with 255/35 tires does rub a little in the backs and im at -2.5 camber.

What camber are you at in the backs Jtech?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Racer

awesome looking whip!! which Niche wheels are those? I am running Niche Veronas staggered setup and offset are +35/40 what about yours?

Also - you mind sharing full side angle of your TL. looks like a super nice fitment and you have helped me decide which route to go so I really appreciate it brother!
we have the same wheels..hahaha. mine is square setup 20x10 with a +40 offset.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
At that mileage defiantly go with the TEIN Street Advance coil overs, everyone likes them and they don't cost too much.

Im surprised Jtech316 isn't rubbing in the back! My 20x9.5 +35 with 255/35 tires does rub a little in the backs and im at -2.5 camber.

What camber are you at in the backs Jtech?
Sorry bro, it's been a few years since I did my alignment so I no longer have my readout. I know it was pretty much close to oem specs, so there's not much camber. I think having a slight stretch with the 245/35 on my 20x10 help clear the rubbing issues. I would rub for sure if i got 255/35 tires like yours. Also, I rarely pack my car with people. I drive it like I drove my z4, one passenger and that's it. hahahaha
Old 12-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

jtech your TL is GOALS AF!! thank god we have the same wheels - feel like yours are cleaner, but I did buy mine used off of Craigslist.

also, do you mind sharing what you did with the taillights? looks like they're tinted red/or smoked?? thanks man sorry to bite but your car is the goal of what I want mine to look like.

thanks again!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Racer

jtech your TL is GOALS AF!! thank god we have the same wheels - feel like yours are cleaner, but I did buy mine used off of Craigslist.

also, do you mind sharing what you did with the taillights? looks like they're tinted red/or smoked?? thanks man sorry to bite but your car is the goal of what I want mine to look like.

thanks again!
oh, mine had some curb rashes but I fixed it this past Spring. I will have to do it again this Spring because I got some more. I did it myself and cost me about $20 bucks for material, a few hours and a few beers. My taillights are red tinted vinyls and I cut out the reverse light area leaving that clear strip. I got the tint from metrostyling on ebay. It's been on there for 2 years now and no fading at all.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

sorry for continuing to bombard you with you with more questions - can you share what materials or kit you used to clean up the rash and get wheels all cleaned up? mine are in need of some deep cleaning.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Sorry bro, it's been a few years since I did my alignment so I no longer have my readout. I know it was pretty much close to oem specs, so there's not much camber. I think having a slight stretch with the 245/35 on my 20x10 help clear the rubbing issues. I would rub for sure if i got 255/35 tires like yours. Also, I rarely pack my car with people. I drive it like I drove my z4, one passenger and that's it. hahahaha
Oh I guess the tires make a big difference. Mine do seem visibly meatier. I've noticed having people in the back does make a big difference too but like you I use the car mainly as a 2 seater lol.

Yall need to watch those curbs and avoid that curb rash!
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Racer

sorry for continuing to bombard you with you with more questions - can you share what materials or kit you used to clean up the rash and get wheels all cleaned up? mine are in need of some deep cleaning.
haha, no worries man.
For the wheel repair, you're going to need:
• sand paper (320 and 800 grit)
• body filler
• etching primer
• paint that matches your wheels. I just got duplicolor from autozone. They let me take the cans out to try and match my wheel color. A small 8oz can worked for my repair on all 4 wheels. Depending on how bad yours is, you may need the bigger can.
• Clear coat. I didn't use any clear coat and it held up fine.
• painters tape
• paint prep cleaner.

There's a few youtube videos on it that can give you an idea of what to do. It may cost more than my $20 i mentioned earlier since all i needed off that list was primer, paint and paint prep cleaner. I think it will still be under $50. I know you said you are pretty busy and this will take up some time to do so you might look into getting it repaired by someone or you can do one wheel a weekend since they aren't mounted on your car yet. I was quoted $85 to repair each wheel. I have a lot of free time on the weekends so I just did it myself. Have you looked into getting the wheels powder coated?

To clean my wheels, I just use Meguiar's G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner and a wheel brush. I also clean them when i take it off for the winter. Ah, I also polish my wheels with a buffer at least twice a year when I fully detail my car.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Oh I guess the tires make a big difference. Mine do seem visibly meatier. I've noticed having people in the back does make a big difference too but like you I use the car mainly as a 2 seater lol.

Yall need to watch those curbs and avoid that curb rash!
hahaha man, it's hard to avoid them curb rashes..hahahaha. I'm planning on getting 255's when I'm due for new tires, so I will definitely rub when I do that. I may end up switching my wheel setup too though..maybe go with a 20x9 square setup.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

thanks for the tips - and yes tbh my company works with a few powder coating shops and I have been quoted some really good prices on powder coating my wheels.

owner of the shop said he can turn em around in one weekend - only question I had was whether to go with gloss black/matte black or dark titanium grey?

anyone want to chime in on this? I was leaning towards gloss black since niche sells these wheels in that color already and i saw them on a 540i and it looked great, but the car was gloss black too.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:17 AM
Racer

thanks for the tips - and yes tbh my company works with a few powder coating shops and I have been quoted some really good prices on powder coating my wheels.

owner of the shop said he can turn em around in one weekend - only question I had was whether to go with gloss black/matte black or dark titanium grey?

anyone want to chime in on this? I was leaning towards gloss black since niche sells these wheels in that color already and i saw them on a 540i and it looked great, but the car was gloss black too.
What color is your car. I wouldn't do the matte black because personally, i would get tired of that dull look.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

same color as yours! LOL
Old 12-31-2018, 12:47 PM
Racer

same color as yours! LOL
oh lol....well, here's a quick shop i did with black wheels.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

JTECH - do you mind posting a link of where to get some similar lug nuts?? I am having trouble finding the right size and fitment on these wheels. The holes are much smaller in my case than the standard.

Also - will be posting pics of my rims I finally got them back from the powdercoating shop and I must say...they look AMAZING.

feel free to chime in anyone! feedback is always appreciated.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

just got wheels back from powder coating they came out exceptional! thanks for all the help JTECH - now just need to get one last tire and I might just mount em even before the car gets lowered LOL.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Racer

JTECH - do you mind posting a link of where to get some similar lug nuts?? I am having trouble finding the right size and fitment on these wheels. The holes are much smaller in my case than the standard.

Also - will be posting pics of my rims I finally got them back from the powdercoating shop and I must say...they look AMAZING.

feel free to chime in anyone! feedback is always appreciated.
Wheels came out great man. I got my lugs with my wheels as a package. You need tuner lugs for aftermarket wheels. You can get them pretty much at any automotive place. You can get it from endlessrpm or even on amazon.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Wheels came out great man. I got my lugs with my wheels as a package. You need tuner lugs for aftermarket wheels. You can get them pretty much at any automotive place. You can get it from endlessrpm or even on amazon.
Specifically "CONE/TAPER seat"

aftermarket wheels usually use a cone or taper seat.
OEM wheels will use a ball seat.

pictures are to show the difference between the seats.

Last edited by justnspace; 02-18-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Wheels are finally ON!

JTECH mine does not look as good as yours but I am happy with the finished look. This summer I will get the car dropped and get the tints redone slightly lighter.

here are pics from yesterdays spin.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Racer

JTECH mine does not look as good as yours but I am happy with the finished look. This summer I will get the car dropped and get the tints redone slightly lighter.
here are pics from yesterdays spin.
Looks good bro. When you drop your car, it's going to set it off nicely. I can't wait for winter to be over with so I can put my wheels back on.