Lowering Advice 2012 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Lowering Advice 2012 SH-AWD

Hey I've decided its time to lower my TL to eliminate some of that wheel gap. I'm just looking to go 1 to 1.5 inches lower, not too low as I have to drive over some crappy road/driveways. I'm also fine with stock or near stock ride quality.

Looking at either Tein basis, Tein advanced or maybe H&R springs to save money and spend it elsewhere. Have read a lot on here and I am still leaning towards the H&R because I feel like even if I get one of the Teins I would get them installed and probably never mess with the height/dampening.

Anyways I've never lowered a car and am not going to do the install myself. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shop in the Niagara region, Ontario, Canada, or somewhere closer than Toronto.

Also do I just buy the springs/coilovers, have it installed, do an alignment or two and then find out if I need a camber kit?

Any opinions/recommendations?

Heres a couple pics of how it sits now

Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on how lowered you want the car to be. Lowering an inch or two will not affect camber all that much, but lowering 3-4 inches will significantly change the suspension geometry of your car.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
I had the H&R Springs and switched to the Teins Street Advance. I would recommend the Street Advance, simply for the adjustability it provides. With the Basis or H&R you get what you get, happy or not.
Installation will cost roughly the same regardless of which you choose. Any lower than 1 1/2" and I suggest you get a Rear Camber Kit.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
The inconvenient truth

I had the H&R Springs and switched to the Teins Street Advance. I would recommend the Street Advance, simply for the adjustability it provides. With the Basis or H&R you get what you get, happy or not.
Installation will cost roughly the same regardless of which you choose. Any lower than 1 1/2" and I suggest you get a Rear Camber Kit.
How did you find the H&R Springs and did you use a camber kit with them?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:05 AM
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
I agree with kraze. Like you, I was considering going with lowering springs or the basic teins. I got the street advance and dont regret it at all (he actually suggested​ that to me as well). It was nice being able to dial in the height and dampers the way I wanted. I haven't touched anything since then.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:03 PM
The inconvenient truth

Its just that from XLR8 tein street advanced will cost me $1177 CAD shipped to my door and H&R Springs will cost me $397 CAD shipped to my door. I'm not convinced the cost difference is worth it for me personally. I Could use that 780 for some other mods... unless someone knows where I can get either or for cheaper than that?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
It might be cheaper to go the H&R route, but that doesn't mean it's always the best.

We've installed both in house, and sold many sets of each - here's what we've noticed: The H&R springs are good if you're only looking for an inch drop that you can set and forget. We have found that the H&Rs tend to ride hard for just a lowering spring, and they're actually a bit bouncy (in a firm way) from time to time. That being said, we haven't seen much sagging happening so they seem good there.

The Tein Street Basis is more money, but you're also getting more. They're height adjustable, and rather then putting lowering springs on your old stock strut you get to replace everything and start with a new setup (except for tophats). A coilover setup will also outlive the lowering spring/OE shock setup since the pieces were designed around each other, this will save you from the labor it takes to go in and replace things that wore out pre-maturley such as the shocks themselves.

If you would like a shipping quote on anything feel free to email me at: Performance@excelerateperformance.com

Good luck & happy modding!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
How did you find the H&R Springs and did you use a camber kit with them?
Its just that from XLR8 tein street advanced will cost me $1177 CAD shipped to my door and H&R Springs will cost me $397 CAD shipped to my door. I'm not convinced the cost difference is worth it for me personally. I Could use that 780 for some other mods... unless someone knows where I can get either or for cheaper than that?
Sorry for the late reply. I did not have the H&R Springs for long, maybe 2K Kms, I did not have a Camber Kit at the time.
I added the Rear 3 Pc Camber kit a few weeks ago after realizing that my Tires were damaged due to excessive camber (-3.7). I also replaced the Tires and did an alignment a few days later, the car is within spec now.

Couple of additional points for you to consider, I am not sure what mileage you have on your car but the Springs will shorten the life of the stock struts, you might find yourself having to replace them which means you take a double hit. The H&R perform well on smooth roads but are harsh over bumps, it also appears that you have 20" rims as your tires seems to be low profile, this will definitely add to the harshness of the ride.

I understand the cost, as a Canadian myself, I am often in the same dilemma since most of my purchases are from US vendors. I would suggest that you contact JRP in Mississauga for a quote on the Teins Locally, I can also make an inquiry on your behalf through a friend of mine that deals with another shop.

Let me know if you need any more advice.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 PM
The inconvenient truth

I understand the cost, as a Canadian myself, I am often in the same dilemma since most of my purchases are from US vendors. I would suggest that you contact JRP in Mississauga for a quote on the Teins Locally, I can also make an inquiry on your behalf through a friend of mine that deals with another shop.
Thanks for the info. It would be much appreciated if you could check for me. I went to a local place in my city and they said they could only locally get the tein street basis for 815CAD (which is only $30 less than it would be shipped to my door from XLR8). But I don't really want the basis since the advanced is only a little bit more. Also yeah my car has 105,000 km on it so the stock struts could be an issue in the future.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the info. It would be much appreciated if you could check for me. I went to a local place in my city and they said they could only locally get the tein street basis for 815CAD (which is only $30 less than it would be shipped to my door from XLR8). But I don't really want the basis since the advanced is only a little bit more. Also yeah my car has 105,000 km on it so the stock struts could be an issue in the future.
I will send him a text tomorrow and let you know when I hear from him. Also, give JRP a call at 1 905-822-7223 for a quote, they are a very established shop in Mississauga.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
check nextmod, or grounded conceptz
Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 PM
The inconvenient truth

I will send him a text tomorrow and let you know when I hear from him. Also, give JRP a call at 1 905-822-7223 for a quote, they are a very established shop in Mississauga
I called JRP at that phone number they quoted me $412 for H&R springs plus tax plus approx. 20 to ship them to me and 847 for Tein street advanced plus tax plus approx. 40 to ship them to me, XLR8 has it for 835 CAD, the 1177 that I said before included the EDFC motor kit, shipping and tax.

check nextmod, or grounded conceptz
thanks I checked nextmod they have street advanced for 690 (926 CAD) which is more than XLR8 and ground conceptz I couldn't get on I think the website is down or something.

So far XLR8 is the best priced and im still wondering where I should it get installed, hoping I don't have to google search suspension shops and cross my fingers hoping they know what their doing.

A little off topic but Ive been on the phone a lot this afternoon calling acura dealers in quebec, trying to find the one that serviced my car so they can send me its detailed service records.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
I called JRP at that phone number they quoted me $412 for H&R springs plus tax plus approx. 20 to ship them to me and 847 for Tein street advanced plus tax plus approx. 40 to ship them to me, XLR8 has it for 835 CAD, the 1177 that I said before included the EDFC motor kit, shipping and tax.

thanks I checked nextmod they have street advanced for 690 (926 CAD) which is more than XLR8 and ground conceptz I couldn't get on I think the website is down or something.

So far XLR8 is the best priced and im still wondering where I should it get installed, hoping I don't have to google search suspension shops and cross my fingers hoping they know what their doing.

A little off topic but Ive been on the phone a lot this afternoon calling acura dealers in quebec, trying to find the one that serviced my car so they can send me its detailed service records.
I think most shops will be able to install coilovers, it's a pretty straight forward job since everything bolts up the same way, and setting the ride height is just measuring. I wouldn't take it to Monroe or something, but I'd like to think most places can handle the task; I definitely understand the concern though.

If you can't find service records CarFax should have most of what you're looking for, assuming everything was done at a reputable shop. I think it's like $10 for the full report if it comes down to that.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Drifting

I called JRP at that phone number they quoted me $412 for H&R springs plus tax plus approx. 20 to ship them to me and 847 for Tein street advanced plus tax plus approx. 40 to ship them to me, XLR8 has it for 835 CAD, the 1177 that I said before included the EDFC motor kit, shipping and.
Ahha, that makes sense now, I thought $1177 was the cost for the Coilovers , that sounded extraordinarily high. I haven't heard anything yet but I will let you know when I do.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Grounded conceptz website blows. Call them. Or go directly to their shop. They're in Pickering if you're in the GTA.

only pain in the ass thing about buying from the US is the duties. I paid about 135 in duties for my pcd, on top of shipping.

Last edited by stevesin; 05-25-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:32 PM
The inconvenient truth

Yeah im in Niagara so im not tryin to go to the gta if I don't have to. I agree those import duties are annoying, I bought a rear window lip/spoiler and it came from Taiwan. The declaration said it was worth $20 USD (actually paid 50 USD for it) and fedex charged me 16.50 CAD as an import free lol. Seems a bit steep to charge 16.50 CAD on an item that's declared as being worth 26 CAD.

Anyways someone suggested to me on another thread to buy the tein advanced coilovers from endless rpm. They are advertised for 540 USD which is the lowest I've seen yet. But it says they are out of stock til mid june so ill probly call them see what they want to ship them to me and hope they actually do come in mid june.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Drifting

The quotation I received is similar to JRP, seems like Endless RPM might be your best bet.

Anyways, you received some good info on your thread, regardless of which route you take you can do it informed. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Shocks/struts et al

Gentlemen,
2014 Acura TL SH-AWD. Love the car which I picked up about 3 months ago. Looking for a firmer ride but not a stoneboat. I probably woun't be lowering the car unless someone can give me a good reason; ( I live in Northeastern Pa with some of the worst shit roads in the country). There will not be any track days or autocross days. I'm just looking to sharpen up the handling. I see the word Teins and i'm unfamiliar with the term; Does this mean Bilstein Shocks/Struts? Had Bilstein HD shocks/struts on an older BMW 535i which gave me a firm but comfortable ride and sharpened the handling. I used Eibach springs at the time which were a little soft for my taste but all in all it was a good upgrade. No one, so far can tell me if Bilstein makes a shock/strut combo for my car. I have also thought about Koni Sport shocks/struts and wonder if anyone has had experience with these. This is my first Japanese car in about 20 years, so I am largely ignorant; ( I know German cars/suspensions). I am hoping for some education here and would be most appreciative for any help/guidance you good people can give me.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Simplemonk