10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new

Hey guys,
So I'm new to all this and here are the specs:
2010 Acura TL FWD
Ext/Int: Diamond Pearl/Ebony
245/50/17 all around

I just want to get wider rims.. Maybe 19" or 20" but don't know what's best because I drive it daily.

I live in an area where there are hills and speed bumps. Winter time there's a lot of snow. So lowering the car may not be the best..
What do you guys think?
Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by NTan58
Hey guys,
So I'm new to all this and here are the specs:
2010 Acura TL FWD
Ext/Int: Diamond Pearl/Ebony
245/50/17 all around

I just want to get wider rims.. Maybe 19" or 20" but don't know what's best because I drive it daily.

I live in an area where there are hills and speed bumps. Winter time there's a lot of snow. So lowering the car may not be the best..
What do you guys think?
Thanks!!

The bigger the wheel the tougher the fitment. Typically on these cars you can run a 8.5" wheel in the front and up to a 10" wheel in the rear without having to do too much modification. 20's will ride a little bit rougher than 19's due to thinner tires but IMO, they look better. They are big cars and deserve a bigger wheel. If you're concerned about snow in the winter, perhaps you should look at a coilover which will give you the ability to adjust your ride height (lower in the summer, raise in the winter).

For some ideas on wheels check out our thread on Avant Garde:

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...wheels-918105/

Shoot me a PM for pricing and eta if you're interested. We also have coilovers in stock for your vehicle.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
the larger the diameter of the rim, the rougher the ride will be. This can be aided with proper tire selection, but at the end of the day you will lose some ride quality. I have 20" and definitely notice a difference.

the wider the rim, the more careful you have to be about fitment. offset is key here. The rim size calculator linked at the top of the page is a huge help.

take a look in the spec thread in this section and get an idea for other people's sizes. For instance, I have a staggered fitment (20x9 and 20x10), and had to be very careful with my offset and tire sizes to ensure I didn't rub and could still get around town.

on the topic of speedbumps...everyone lives near them, they are very common. Do you mean there is a couple malls that have them near you, or your residential streets have them? if it's just a shopping center or two, it's no big deal to drive around them or learn which entrances to take to avoid them, it's all apart of driving a lowered car. There are streets in my town I don't even think about taking anymore because they have huge dips. That being said, I'm extremely proud of how my car looks, and it can be justified.

for winter, assuming you will be investing in coilovers, you can always raise them up for winter. I'll basically be going back to my stock wheel setup and height in about a month. I'd discourage against lowering springs since it's significantly more work to remove them for winter than simply adjusting a coilover.

if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. don't be afraid to go low, it's an absolute blast. just make sure your wheels can fit and that you understand it will change your driving habits considerably.