How do you feel about these on a TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Grigio4G
Just don't pay attention to Brock, I made a mistake engaging him in a conversation to begin with. Dude is clueless...

Stop feeding the GD troll!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
The supercar comments only related to the post above that I commented on, no where else on this forum have I brought that up. As for actually how I got to drive them is very easy and attainable for the average joe like myself. If you guys are familiar with Groupon they have these offerings 2-3 times a year in my area, well within 75 miles I should say. For 100 bucks you get to take a car out of your choice from what is available for a set amount of laps. The larger the course the less amount of laps. The only kick in the pants is the insurance which they don't tell you about anywhere in the fine print. I believe it starts at 150 per car and is non refundable. Anyways I do this once a year at different tracks and choose a different car every year as well. As for negative comments about the TL, they're not really negative, they are just facts about the car and the TL is not a sports car. People get upset when I say that, but the truth hurts I guess.
Brock,

What is your conception about a sports car?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
As for negative comments about the TL, they're not really negative, they are just facts about the car and the TL is not a sports car. People get upset when I say that, but the truth hurts I guess.
It may not have all the torque and HP, it may not be the fastest, it may not be a true sports car but it is great handling sports sedan for its size. Read all the reviews and they all say mostly the samething. Also, your opinion is subjective so there is no truth to it besides what you believe in.

And my bad for going off topic everyone.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Racer

I bought some niche's already but before i mount tires on them i've been exploring some options. I always liked HRE wheels specially P40SC series, i think they are absolutely beautiful.

Well i came accros some avant garde wheels that look very familiar (M590), cast iron obviously but for TL will do just fine. I asked around what ppl thought of them and was told that on a TL split spoke design wouldn't look good. It's more of a CV3 style body due to it rugged edges. Would you guys agree?
I can pick up a set of 4 of these 20x10 +38 for under $1600. What do you think?
Here are some pics of them.

Grigio4G, did not want to hijack your thread, sorry about that.

Drive safe
Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM

off topic pro tips:

- learn to distinguish who'll be here forever and short timers. (hint* Brock isnt going anywhere.)
- annoyed? troll back. this doesnt mean to be an ass, butt, have valid arguments and spin it back.
- No personal attacks!
- Good Luck, Have Fun!!!

Now, back to your scheduled programming
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Brock79 (03-11-2014), DynamicJ32 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
I can roll with justnspace, because he gets it.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it looks good,if properly dropped and if its staggered..it will be sexy..
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mylove4cars
Brock,

What is your conception about a sports car?
Well for starters I would want the company producing the car to call it a sports car. There might be literature out there claiming the TL to be a sports car, but anything I have seen by Acura says it's their SPORTY SEDAN, not a sports car. Sporty and sports car are two entirely different things. Cars I consider sports cars because they actually get tested against other SPORTS cars, like the BMW M3, CTS-V, CL63 AMG, think along those lines. Everyone knows about Vettes, Ferraris, Lambos and those types, the TL can't hang with any of the cars mentioned above, nor can many other cars out there. Acura/Honda had the NSX and will again very soon, this is the Honda sports car. When there are a few suv's and trucks out there that will blow the doors off of my TL, I don't consider it a sports car. Is it sporty? YES. Is it a sports car? NO.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Back to topic though I think the Niches the Grigio already has look much better.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Well for starters I would want the company producing the car to call it a sports car. There might be literature out there claiming the TL to be a sports car, but anything I have seen by Acura says it's their SPORTY SEDAN, not a sports car. Sporty and sports car are two entirely different things. Cars I consider sports cars because they actually get tested against other SPORTS cars, like the BMW M3, CTS-V, CL63 AMG, think along those lines. Everyone knows about Vettes, Ferraris, Lambos and those types, the TL can't hang with any of the cars mentioned above, nor can many other cars out there. Acura/Honda had the NSX and will again very soon, this is the Honda sports car. When there are a few suv's and trucks out there that will blow the doors off of my TL, I don't consider it a sports car. Is it sporty? YES. Is it a sports car? NO.
This statement is very true. Btw. 1991 NSX. Most fun car I've ever driven despite it being slower than it's competitors.

How are Niche wheels in terms of pricing? I found a really nice set I like but it doesn't show pricing on their site.

Last edited by andrewcjduong; 03-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Racer

Brock,
I thought so; your conception is a misconception!! Is the Mazda Miata a Sports Car or not, only to name one.

Performance isn't just what's under the hood - it's how what's under the hood works with everything else.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Though the TL is not a sports car, it can feel like one at times with the 6MT and SH-AWD...maybe not so much with the FWD.

Grigio, two thumbs up on those wheels...think they would look dope!
justnspace (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Though the TL is not a sports car, it can feel like one at times with the 6MT and SH-AWD...maybe not so much with the FWD.
my 2006 6MT TL is the closest thing I have to a sports car.
and I wont make the move to a real sports car(read:not a miata) when the TL's wheels fall off in like 20 years.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
and I wont make the move to a real sports car(read:not a miata) when the TL's wheels fall off in like 20 years.
Exactly
Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Brock,
I thought so; your conception is a misconception!! Is the Mazda Miata a Sports Car or not, only to name one.

Performance isn't just what's under the hood - it's how what's under the hood works with everything else.

A Miata a sports car? mo it's not, Mazda doesn't claim it to be either. Can it be turned I to a sports car? Technically yes it can, can the TL? no, it will never happen. Miatas are turned into cross touring vehicles and are raced as such, they also are kept in their own class and not put into classes with Mustangs, Vettes, camaro sand such. Will the average modded Miata outperform the average modded mustang? No they won't, are they fun little cars to drive? I guess so, I'm to tall to fit into one. I have seen several with Vette motors in them and this mod makes it an entirely different beast. Now with this mod I consider it a sports car, with the regular engine they are just little toys. By the way I had a Miata in front of me yesterday when I was in my TL and felt that I could have driven right over it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
To each their own and hopefully your TL will make 20 years, if that's your goal.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
A Miata a sports car? mo it's not, Mazda doesn't claim it to be either. Can it be turned I to a sports car? Technically yes it can, can the TL? no, it will never happen.

mylove4cars (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM

To each their own and hopefully your TL will make 20 years, if that's your goal.
at 60k, i think she'll make it.
shes a garage queen
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Racer

A Miata a sports car? mo it's not, Mazda doesn't claim it to be either. Can it be turned I to a sports car? Technically yes it can, can the TL? no, it will never happen. Miatas are turned into cross touring vehicles and are raced as such, they also are kept in their own class and not put into classes with Mustangs, Vettes, camaro sand such. Will the average modded Miata outperform the average modded mustang? No they won't, are they fun little cars to drive? I guess so, I'm to tall to fit into one. I have seen several with Vette motors in them and this mod makes it an entirely different beast. Now with this mod I consider it a sports car, with the regular engine they are just little toys. By the way I had a Miata in front of me yesterday when I was in my TL and felt that I could have driven right over it.
Brock,
What you claim is incorrect!!!

"Not only is the MX-5 Miata one of the few production cars to have its own race series—more than one to be specific—but the Spec Miata is SCCA's largest and most popular amateur racing class.
In fact, the MX-5's racing heritage is so strong it even inspired a new model, the MX-5 Club. Proving the Miata to be as authentic as a sports car can get."
Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Racer

Brock showed his true colors when he went head to head with me and other members over a construction of simple air box and was proving us how drilling holes under the box would cause air enter engine unfiltered. At that point it was understood that arguing with this kid is pointless, we all met them in real life, don't know what he's talking about and yet will stand behind it til the end. Confident ignorance.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I've never liked the Miata. It seemed just weird and super small and the looks of it just turned me off, but as soon as I got in one and drove it. That was a different story. The thing handles like a king. I felt like a kid in a go-kart again. I mean it probably wasn't the fastest thing ever but the handling was just awesome.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Racer

Mine are brand new, never mounted so I can sell them for $800 plus shipping. Shipping wont be cheap tho since you're in Canada.
Grigio4G, Do you have some pictures of these wheels?
Thanks - Roland
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Racer

Grigio4G, Do you have some pictures of these wheels?
Thanks - Roland

Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Those look really nice. How come you want to sell them?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Racer

Not a 100% on a style of this wheel. Thats why I started this thread, just exploring other options. When I bought these wheels I was considering not lowering the car, car I had before this was slammed and that made it very unpractical so I said never again.
Because of that I went with 20x10 40 offset all around. Now that im going to lower it and roll fenders after all (old habits) I want something more aggressive. 20x10.5 +35 preferably.
I have the wheels up for sale locally but if they dont sell in the next week or so i'm just gonna stick with them and worry about a different set up for next year.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
I say go for the mesh wheels... looks different and if you really lower it, itll look really nice.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Racer

Not a 100% on a style of this wheel. Thats why I started this thread, just exploring other options. When I bought these wheels I was considering not lowering the car, car I had before this was slammed and that made it very unpractical so I said never again.
Because of that I went with 20x10 40 offset all around. Now that im going to lower it and roll fenders after all (old habits) I want something more aggressive. 20x10.5 +35 preferably.
I have the wheels up for sale locally but if they dont sell in the next week or so i'm just gonna stick with them and worry about a different set up for next year.
Grigio4G, there nice, nevertheless I think I will go for the M590 AG. If you have them first show some pics
Thanks for sharing and drive safe - Roland
Grigio4G (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

You're in the exact position that I was. Not about that slammed life. Does 20x10 +40 all around not rub? Also, what are you lowered on.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
You're in the exact position that I was. Not about that slammed life. Does 20x10 +40 all around not rub? Also, what are you lowered on.
I will tell you once they wheels are on and car is lowered. It shouldn't have any issues, 20x10 +40 is not an aggressive set up in my opinion. Tire is mildly stretched @ 255/35/20.
20x10.5 +35 with that tire size would of been a perfect set up.

It will be lowered on Tein SA's in a week or so. Fenders will be rolled front and back before hand. Spacers will also be added to push wheels out as far as fenders will allow, not sure on size of the spares until its actually all put together.

Last edited by Grigio4G; 03-13-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Grigio Been watching you for a min. I like what you doing. Hey No hate here i'm glad you selling those wheels. All I see is the Basic Star Spoke wheels looks hella redundant to me. I like that Gray and Gold. I was thinking going Gold or Chrome Myself (got the black). But Forge Wheels. I will be lowering myself but not Hella flush. Keep it up I'll be watching.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

I will tell you once they wheels are on and car is lowered. It shouldn't have any issues, 20x10 +40 is not an aggressive set up in my opinion. Tire is mildly stretched @ 255/35/20.
20x10.5 +35 with that tire size would of been a perfect set up.

It will be lowered on Tein SA's in a week or so. Fenders will be rolled front and back before hand. Spacers will also be added to push wheels out as far as fenders will allow, not sure on size of the spares until its actually all put together.
20x10.5 is a better set up with those tires ? That's the set up I'm waiting on I'm hoping I don't have to roll fenders I don't want to drop of at all so u think this might work ? Mine is awd do u think that makes it lower ?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Racer

Ordered new wheels so Niches are officially for sale.