Half inch drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Half inch drop

Do you guys have experience with a suspension kit that drives similar or better to stock with a minor drop (.25 to .5 drop) i live in new york and don't really pay mind to potholes. my last car was dropped and i felt that the overall feel of the car deteriorated. i blamed it on a stiffer suspension. Things got loose, made more noise.........

I really want to get rid of some of the wheel gap (which is ridiculously huge) but i really don't want to jar the car and loosen everything up.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
get the Tein SS coilovers. I live in The Bronx NY where there are potholes the size of Texas. You can lower or raise the car height. I have Eibach on my 09 tl and I'm not to happy with them. When I got my TL in 09 the Tein setup was not available. With the Eibach springs I feel every bump on the road.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive got the Tein SS coilovers. Its great because you can higher and lower the car and make the ride soft or stiff. Its kinda pricey though. If you dont want to spend that much on a suspension setup, I read the H&R Sport Springs for the 4G TLs are great quality spring. Much better than the Eibachs. Rides like stock and gets rid of the wheel gap
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by types1fan
get the Tein SS coilovers. I live in The Bronx NY where there are potholes the size of Texas. You can lower or raise the car height. I have Eibach on my 09 tl and I'm not to happy with them. When I got my TL in 09 the Tein setup was not available. With the Eibach springs I feel every bump on the road.
is it me or does the stock set up give you the feeling of every bump. my 08, did not feel so rough. it might be all in my head.

Originally Posted by 2010_TL
Ive got the Tein SS coilovers. Its great because you can higher and lower the car and make the ride soft or stiff. Its kinda pricey though. If you dont want to spend that much on a suspension setup, I read the H&R Sport Springs for the 4G TLs are great quality spring. Much better than the Eibachs. Rides like stock and gets rid of the wheel gap
Do you have any idea how long the coil overs will last? and can you replace a strut only or would you have to get a whole new spring/strut, from tein?

can you also tell me what site you ordered them from? i have been looking online and cant find them for the sh awd

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-16-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by types1fan
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
ive had lots of TLs, with all different types of suspension

teins ride really, really well for the aggresive drop. h&r springs are the closest to stock ride quality... IMO
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Instructor

for some reason i'm finding a hard time finding tein coil overs. can you guys point me in the right direction. I'm sorry for being so needy.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
works too...

also how much are you willing to spend on dropping it (coilovers are roughly $1000+ )
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
works too...

also how much are you willing to spend on dropping it (coilovers are roughly $1000+ )
i was figuring installed 1500. i tried google. but it seems that everyone is selling the same set for the au8 and au9, the au9 just dropping lower because of weight.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 PM
B A N N E D

you mean UA9???

but yes labor will add some to the cost, so you are about right on as far as that

as far as dropping further, because of weight, remember coilovers are ADJUSTABLE, so you can just adjust it up a little to compensate for the added weight

edit: and as far as cost of TIEN basic coilovers, MSRP is only $810, where i was figuring about $1000-$1100

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-16-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Instructor

you mean UA9???

but yes labor will add some to the cost, so you are about right on as far as that

as far as dropping further, because of weight, remember coilovers are ADJUSTABLE, so you can just adjust it up a little to compensate for the added weight

edit: and as far as cost of TIEN basic coilovers, MSRP is only $810, where i was figuring about $1000-$1100
ua8-ua9 sorry. i slept two drunken hours today.

http://www.customcarscentral.com/ten...l--04-up-.html

this site has them along with a few others, but they don't list the upper mount with camber adjustment. again. i'm sorry for being such a newb, and thank you for taking the time to answer.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by jpmunoz
ua8-ua9 sorry. i slept two drunken hours today.

http://www.customcarscentral.com/ten...l--04-up-.html

this site has them along with a few others, but they don't list the upper mount with camber adjustment. again. i'm sorry for being such a newb, and thank you for taking the time to answer.
ok, first you want superstreets instead of basics (nothing wrong, just add costs, but you get more adjustability though)

as far height, and shock valving, for the additional weight, easily compensated for (you just put the spring perch a little higher instead of at there "specs", and as far as shock valving, you might just have to click them up one click as far as to compensate for the additional weight)

as far as compatability with EDFC, it is, and for reference TIEN's website itself
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/b96.html

and as far as the camber adjustability with the upper mount, the shock/strut does not dictate the camber at the wheel (it has a seperate arm that does that, you are thinking of the wrong suspension design), so the reason for not listing an upper mount with camber adjustment
so if you want camber adjustability, you will have to buy a seperate camber kit in order to get that (but considering that you don't really want to go that low, you may not need one actually idk completely [you will probably not really gain enough camber to actually need it], but the car still will have to be aligned afterwards though)

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-16-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Instructor

ok, first you want superstreets instead of basics (nothing wrong, just add costs, but you get more adjustability though)

as far height, and shock valving, for the additional weight, easily compensated for (you just put the spring perch a little higher instead of at there "specs", and as far as shock valving, you might just have to click them up one click as far as to compensate for the additional weight)

as far as compatability with EDFC, it is, and for reference TIEN's website itself
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/b96.html

and as far as the camber adjustability with the upper mount, the shock/strut does not dictate the camber at the wheel (it's has a seperate arm that does that, you are thinking of the wrong suspension design), so the reason for not listing an upper mount with camber adjustment
thank you.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 AM
B A N N E D

just gotta know where to look
Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
idk, I had tein ss coilovers in my car before and they squeaked and rattled over every bump, drove me nuts. I will never get them again.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Racer

can you also tell me what site you ordered them from? i have been looking online and cant find them for the sh awd
I ordered them from Excelerate, a vendor here on Azine.

i was figuring installed 1500. i tried google. but it seems that everyone is selling the same set for the au8 and au9, the au9 just dropping lower because of weight.
The SS coilovers cost me $990 and the EDFC for an extra $390. Installation cost another $500 because of the EDFC module. If I hadnt grabbed the EDFC, installation would of cost me $200.

BTW, EDFC stands for Electronic Dampening Force Control. It allows you to adjust whether you want the ride to be stiff or soft with a push of a button. It has 16 levels with 1 being the stiffest and 16 being the softest.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by rondog
idk, I had tein ss coilovers in my car before and they squeaked and rattled over every bump, drove me nuts. I will never get them again.
friend has a 3g TL on SS's, and i have not really noticed any squeaking, biggest thing was the rubbing, but that was from being so low more then anything (i don't think he had the pillow mounts though)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Instructor

I ordered them from Excelerate, a vendor here on Azine.

The SS coilovers cost me $990 and the EDFC for an extra $390. Installation cost another $500 because of the EDFC module. If I hadnt grabbed the EDFC, installation would of cost me $200.

BTW, EDFC stands for Electronic Dampening Force Control. It allows you to adjust whether you want the ride to be stiff or soft with a push of a button. It has 16 levels with 1 being the stiffest and 16 being the softest.
i pretty much decided to take everything you did. get the acura 19s and powder coat them (darker) and drop. But i really wanted a "stock" looking drop. nothing too aggressive. i don't think i would like to lower my car as much as you did yours. did you go with the Tein recomended 1.6 front and 1.5 rear? honestly at most i was looking for .5, like i said i want a "stock" looking drop. (i know i will get abused for this) i want an audi/bmw type wheel pace. which i think .5 would do for me. Looking at the specs on these coilovers it seems they are speced for at most .7 front and .4 rear. So the rear would be fine but the front might be too low for what i am looking to do.

what do you think?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Racer

i pretty much decided to take everything you did. get the acura 19s and powder coat them (darker) and drop. But i really wanted a "stock" looking drop. nothing too aggressive. i don't think i would like to lower my car as much as you did yours. did you go with the Tein recomended 1.6 front and 1.5 rear? honestly at most i was looking for .5, like i said i want a "stock" looking drop. (i know i will get abused for this) i want an audi/bmw type wheel pace. which i think .5 would do for me. Looking at the specs on these coilovers it seems they are speced for at most .7 front and .4 rear. So the rear would be fine but the front might be too low for what i am looking to do.

what do you think?
To be honest, if thats all you want to drop then you should just leave the height alone. Teins cost way too much to only drop it .5". Other springs have a drop from 1"-1.5". This is how the stock height would look with the HPT 19s.....

I say just leave it the stock height. Just my
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Listen man, if all u want is that kind of drop dont bother. You said you do not pay mind to pot holes,with a severe drop in NY you have to pay attention or you are going to ruin you suspension. contantly im driving slow and with caution to avoid messing up my suspension or my beutiful 20's. in your case beat up the OEM springs and drive on man.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced

^Agreed. I know what your going through as far as trying to find the right height and suspension for your needs. I've been looking around for a suspension set up when I put on new wheels as well.

From what it sounds like if you only want to drop it .5" I would find a spring that could maybe do the job for you, or just leave it at the stock height (it will still look good w/ the HPT 19"s and everything will ride stock and essentially you will have no worries). The Tein SS seems to be the best aftermarket suspension option out there for the 4G TL from everything I have read and heard, but it is pricey, especially if you're not looking to take advantage of all of its features. If the price is no deterrent, then by all means get the Teins because you will certainly be able to accomplish what your looking for with them....Just my opinion....everyones got one lol, keep looking and just make sure you will be happy with what you do, in the end thats all that matters because you have to drive the car
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Instructor

I don't want to say that money is not a restraint, but if it does what i want and it is quality i don't mind paying for it. I have alot of complaints about the 4g, and i regret getting rid of my 3g. One of the main complaints is the fact that to me it seems much higher then the 3g, and kind of looks like a dune buggy because of all the space between the wheels and body. I just want a German wheel gap. I don't want a bottomed out look.

I mean maybe .75" gets what i am looking for and .5" won't, i don't know at this point. I do know one thing, if i can't do anything with the ride hight i might have to eat my losses and trade in for something else. I had $18,000 of equity on my 3g, which i used as a down payment on my 4g. I now owe 22,000 and it seems my trade in value is 33,000. So i have 11k, out of my 18k invested from my 3g. So i figured spending 1,500 to make me happy would be better then trading again and loosing 7,000.

But i am open to suggestions, and i appreciate all of your opinions.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^If it is looks that you are going for why not just take the springs out and cut them down with a torch. Hey while you are at it, put some 22's on the car.

Is anyone interested in setting up the car to actually handle better?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^^^^If it is looks that you are going for why not just take the springs out and cut them down with a torch. Hey while you are at it, put some 22's on the car.

Is anyone interested in setting up the car to actually handle better?
do you wake up in the morning, and think of ways to spread negativity in the forum?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced

@jpmunoz: I can certainly see what your talking about w/ the "dune buggy" look, especially from the rear. A nice little drop will do the car well. Gauging from your comment a nice set of coilovers will do the trick. You can set it up to ride how YOU want, no questions asked. Like you said if you are willing to spend $1500 for some peace of mind, and the look/performance you desire, instead of loosing $7K on a trade then more power to you and it seems like you've found your answer or at least the best option available.

@Mr. Marco: Just to respond to your question. Yes, handling is absolutely a factor, for me anyway, when it comes to a new suspension system. However, I will admit I am a victim of vanity at times, but I wouldn't lower the car just for looks if I thought it would tear the car up or drastically reduce performance. Some springs or coilovers get me the best of both worlds, a better look and better handling.......I did laugh a little at your sarcastic comment though, I like a good layering of sarcasm from time to time....... hacked off springs and 22's HAHA that would be ridiculous!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

do you wake up in the morning, and think of ways to spread negativity in the forum?
Hey JP get used to it that's the way he operates
Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

"A man with no enemies is a man with no character."
— Paul Newman
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Instructor

To be honest, if thats all you want to drop then you should just leave the height alone. Teins cost way too much to only drop it .5". Other springs have a drop from 1"-1.5". This is how the stock height would look with the HPT 19s.....

I say just leave it the stock height. Just my
can you pleaseee, post up a few more current pictures of your car?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Racer

This is the most current picture. It was takin today after getting it back from the body shop

Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Instructor

This is the most current picture. It was takin today after getting it back from the body shop

i love it, the car looks sick. not flash which is exactly what i wanted my car to look like. How does it ride, and is getting into driveways a pain? also what are the specs on your drop? and can you send a few more pics. car looks great.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Instructor

one more question for everyone i don't want to make another post. Do you guys know where i can get the htp rims with wheels? and if i go back to acura, is there any chance the dealer will give me credit for my stock 18 inch sh awd rims? i'd hate to have two sets of rims.

2010 tl, i read somewhere you got yours on the black market. I have been looking for days, and don't see anything popping up. How long were you looking before you found them?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Racer

one more question for everyone i don't want to make another post. Do you guys know where i can get the htp rims with wheels? and if i go back to acura, is there any chance the dealer will give me credit for my stock 18 inch sh awd rims? i'd hate to have two sets of rims.

2010 tl, i read somewhere you got yours on the black market. I have been looking for days, and don't see anything popping up. How long were you looking before you found them?
Well it took a couple months for anything to pop up. I stated in a couple threads that I regretted not choosing the HPT when I first purchased the car and that I was looking for the HPT 19s. A member saw my posts and just so happened that he was selling his set of HPTs in the BM. It was a good price and jumped on it. You just have to be patient, it could take a couple months. You never know, it can pop up tomorrow. Just keep checking different places online. You should be able to find some eventually. Good luck

As for the pictures you requested, I don't have any updated ones of the car. But I do have some older pictures with the coils. I'll post those tonight or tomorrow when I get off work.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Well it took a couple months for anything to pop up. I stated in a couple threads that I regretted not choosing the HPT when I first purchased the car and that I was looking for the HPT 19s. A member saw my posts and just so happened that he was selling his set of HPTs in the BM. It was a good price and jumped on it. You just have to be patient, it could take a couple months. You never know, it can pop up tomorrow. Just keep checking different places online. You should be able to find some eventually. Good luck

As for the pictures you requested, I don't have any updated ones of the car. But I do have some older pictures with the coils. I'll post those tonight or tomorrow when I get off work.
what are the specs on your drop?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Racer

what are the specs on your drop?
I couldn't tell you exactly, but my guess would be a little less than 2" all round.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the OP have an update on what he did about lowering?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Screw the OP, look at this evil beast. If I saw this in my rear-view mirror I would just admit defeat and pull to the right!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Racer

Haha Thanks Mr Marco. I have some updated pics in my progress thread, check them out
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Instructor

I haven't done anything yet. A friend of mine who isn't worried about scrapping is getting the tein ss. He said he'd drop minimal for me to see and drive for a week. After that I'll make up my mind
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
That's a lot of money for a 1/2 inch drop...
BUT, that said, since you do like how it looks lowered, if you buy something that allows you to lower it, you WILL lower it alot more. The SS's are very forgiving when set to soft...but you will have to pay attention to potholes.

You won't regret it though...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't done anything yet. A friend of mine who isn't worried about scrapping is getting the tein ss. He said he'd drop minimal for me to see and drive for a week. After that I'll make up my mind
Post pics, and help me out too. TIA.

Quick Reply: Half inch drop