Got the winter wheels and tires on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:17 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Got the winter wheels and tires on.

I wasn't sure how they were going to look, I only had a few internet photos to go by, but I'm really happy with them. I didn't want to go all black, so the anthracite is perfect for me.

RWC AC80 18x8 +45 offset.
245/45/18 Michelin Xice xi3 tires.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Looks good. Have you used the Xice before? How have they done? I've heard great things about their treadwear but that they may not be as good as the Conti WinterContact Si or Bridgestone Blizzak. I've stuck with the Blizzak. They're like magic in the snow but they wear out quick.

Do you use your same wheels for summer and winter or do you have separate wheels for summer?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Looks good. Have you used the Xice before? How have they done? I've heard great things about their treadwear but that they may not be as good as the Conti WinterContact Si or Bridgestone Blizzak. I've stuck with the Blizzak. They're like magic in the snow but they wear out quick.

Do you use your same wheels for summer and winter or do you have separate wheels for summer?
I ran the Michelin X-Ice on my 530i and they were extremely competent winter tires.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Good to know. Maybe I'll give them a shot next year. I drive Uber up in Park City a lot in the winter and it's pretty serious snow, often unpacked, up to 12' or so when going up private roads to drop off/pick up. Most drivers don't venture up there unless they have AWD and killer tires because it's pretty treacherous. I was the only Uber sedan I saw last year during the heavy snow and I was rolling with all the other SUV's like a boss with those Blizzaks. And I'm only FWD. It would be hard to change based on how well they did but I'd really welcome the increased treadwear.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Yeah, it was funny in my area where we have two-lane roads which wind around over hill and dale, I'd get out in my 530i and literally catch up to the SUVs and 4WD trucks. I remember one day with tight to ten inches of heavy rutted snow when, after reeling in a line of SUVs, a county Sheriff pulled out behind me in a Crown Vic, started catching us, and then promptly put the cruiser into the ditch.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Nice. I had a similar experience where a SLPD cop was in front of me, stopped at a traffic light at a rather steep incline. It was in the Avenues in SLC where there are some significant grades due to all the hills. There really wasn't that much snow, but it was pretty cold which turned it into sort of a snow/ice mix. When the light turned green, all his Dodge Charger police cruiser could do is spin the rear wheels. After a minute or so, the cruiser started to swing to the right and hit the curb. Luckily it didn't slip backward otherwise it would have hit me.

The guy behind me got out of his car and started to push the cruiser. I got out as well but wasn't much help because all I had were tennis shoes on without much traction to get a grip on the road. After three guys got behind the car we finally managed to get his car some traction and into the intersection. Pretty embarrassing for him I'm sure. I'm surprised they don't put snow tires on those cruisers earlier, and that they don't drive AWD cruisers here in Salt Lake. We don't get massive snow most of the time but enough that emergency and law enforcement vehicles should have better traction.

Oh, and I ended up driving up the hill into the intersection with literally NO slipping. Traction control didn't even kick in.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow

This is the 2nd set of Xice I've had. The last set lasted me 5 winters where I used them for about 6 months at a time. I'd estimate about 50,000 km maybe? Great treadwear. I've never used Bridgestone due to my wife's family all worked and retired from Michelin here in NS. I've never had any kind of traction issue though.

These will just be for the winter. I have the stock 19" wheels amd tires for the summer.