Creak noise over irregular surface

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Creak noise over irregular surface

Noticed a slight creek noise (like metal springs bending on an old truck) when going over speed bumps, and irregular surfaces on the road.
Its most obvious when the car is going lower in speed (30 mph).

Had the car in for service, nothing found. I trust these folks too, and it was determined as normal suspension movement.
Ive never heard that before. Maybe bushings are going. Anyway, has anyone experienced this at all?

Just looking for a direction. Its not broken, but It would be nice to know that I am not solo.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob
Noticed a slight creek noise (like metal springs bending on an old truck) when going over speed bumps, and irregular surfaces on the road.

Had the car in for service, nothing found. I trust these folks too, and it was determined as normal suspension movement.
Ive never heard that before. Maybe bushings are going. Anyway, has anyone experienced this at all?

Just looking for a direction. Its not broken, but It would be nice to know that I am not solo.
Check out TSB 12-041 - Front Suspension Clunk in Hot Weather in the 2012 TSB thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945428/

Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 PM
Advanced

I tried that approach. They said it was not the problem.
I think I am going to go to another dealership and have it checked out.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced

What I don't understand is: If everything is "tight", why am I getting stress notices of metal against metal.
Does anyone have a direction for me to look into underneath the car?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob

I just bought a rebuilt a week ago and think I may have the same thing going on. I hear an irregular noise coming from the front of the cad when I go over any bumps at low speeds (below 20-25 mph).

When I got it all the wheels had bends in them, I got them repajred yesterday and it rides smooth now but there is also noise from I believe uneven tire wear.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I get the same creaking sound, it seems like the sound is coming from the front driver's door area towards the bottom of the car. It's hard to say for certain what it is. It could very well be a suspension component.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone else get something similar that they found a fix for? For me, it started happening about 10k after I replaced my front struts. Everything was verified tight when I swapped my winter wheels on.

Maybe after 200k its just time to replace all the front end bushings and rubber.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same noise coming from the front of the car on my 14 TL FWD when going over bumps. The noise almost completely disappears when driving in the rain, which makes me think the water is lubricating whatever is causing the creaking. The car has 95,000 miles. The noise has gotten worse over the past year, possibly because I have been driving on pot-holed dirt roads.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Its most likely a dried up/damaged lower ball joint.

If you replace it, use a genuine Honda/Acura part. Never trust aftermarket chassis parts.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:41 AM
Intermediate

The Acura dealer diagnosed (incorrectly) the noise coming from a worn upper control arm bushing. They replaced the control arm but the creaking noise did not go away.

I sprayed lithium grease all over the strut assembly and as many of the bushings I could reach with the front wheel removed. It did not solve the creaking noise.

What drives me crazy is that the noise goes away when I drive in the rain. The rain water must be lubricating something that is rubbing that I was not able to reach with the lithium grease.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by maltbie
The Acura dealer diagnosed (incorrectly) the noise coming from a worn upper control arm bushing. They replaced the control arm but the creaking noise did not go away.

I sprayed lithium grease all over the strut assembly and as many of the bushings I could reach with the front wheel removed. It did not solve the creaking noise.

What drives me crazy is that the noise goes away when I drive in the rain. The rain water must be lubricating something that is rubbing that I was not able to reach with the lithium grease.
????

I gave you the most likely solution...
This is almost 100% for sure your issue.

Originally Posted by BROlando
Its most likely a dried up/damaged lower ball joint.

If you replace it, use a genuine Honda/Acura part. Never trust aftermarket chassis parts.

Advice...

The car did not leave the factory with a squeaky suspension. And it didn't leave the factory with grease sprayed all over everything.

So why would spraying grease all over the suspension fix your issue?

You should spend time cleaning off that grease. Its going to collect dirt and break down the rubber components that are not compatible with it.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-16-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

See if you can get the lithum grease straw to spray INTO (not onto!!!) the lower ball joint boot.

I bet your noise goes away.
If so, you need a new lower ball joint.

No, the grease is not a fix. Its just a test to see what happens. Don't neglect a bad lower ball joint. It holds up the entire front corner of the car.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear

I have similar 2012 TL SH-AWD front end noise

Occurs at low speed

Sound comes from the front driver’s side.

Occurs when the steering wheel is turned as well as just slow forward movement, which seems unrelated to steering.

No noise at speeds above 25 miles per hour

Sound is intermittent – has been going on for the past 6 months. Sound occurs consistently after a long drive of 50 miles or more.

Sound stops for several days after car is jacked up and suspension hangs free.

Sound stops for several days when driver’s side only is put on a car ramp.

DIAGNOSTICS

When the front end is jacked up, there is no movement in the tie rod ends, the front wheel bearing or the upper or lower ball joints.

There are no obvious signs of any of the upper or lower control arm bushings being damaged.

Does not seem to be brake related – brakes operate as designed.

No Steering wheel vibrations

Steering tracks accurately

No engine vibrations
What makes you so confident the ;problem is the lower ball joint?
Thanks for you help.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BobH
I have similar 2012 TL SH-AWD front end noise

Occurs at low speed

Sound comes from the front driver’s side.

Occurs when the steering wheel is turned as well as just slow forward movement, which seems unrelated to steering.

No noise at speeds above 25 miles per hour

Sound is intermittent – has been going on for the past 6 months. Sound occurs consistently after a long drive of 50 miles or more.

Sound stops for several days after car is jacked up and suspension hangs free.

Sound stops for several days when driver’s side only is put on a car ramp.

DIAGNOSTICS

When the front end is jacked up, there is no movement in the tie rod ends, the front wheel bearing or the upper or lower ball joints.

There are no obvious signs of any of the upper or lower control arm bushings being damaged.

Does not seem to be brake related – brakes operate as designed.

No Steering wheel vibrations

Steering tracks accurately

No engine vibrations
What makes you so confident the ;problem is the lower ball joint?
Thanks for you help.
Because I've seen the problem before, a dozen+ times, with the exact same symptoms you are describing.

The reason the noise doesn't happen when you lift the car is that you're taking all the load off the lower ball joint. The creaking will only occur when loaded.

The creaking stops temporarily after lifting up because grease is allowed to flow into the ball joint bearing when you lift the load off it.

The bearing is likely cracked or has formed pits, so the grease only has a temporary effect.

Next time you hear the creak, have someone turn the steering wheel while you lie on the ground and put your finger on the lower ball joint boot. You will feel the creak in your fingers.

You can also test the theory by injecting grease into the lower ball joint boot. It will temporarily quiet down.

Again....when you decide to fix it....never ever buy an aftermarket ball joint. Buy one from a Honda/Acura dealer. Its a good idea to also buy a new fastening nut and cotter pin.

You need a pretty special ball joint seperator since the joint shaft is so huge.

The joint will probably pull the LCA sleeve out with it. You need that sleeve, so don't toss it out. Separate it off without damaging it. And reuse it.

If the ball joint comes out without pulling the sleeve with it...you got lucky. Buy a lotto ticket!

When reinstalling, follow the torque spec/starting spec in the FSM. This is massively important.

Last edited by BROlando; 09-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks. That is very helpful advice.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BobH
Thanks. That is very helpful advice.
No problem. Updated my post to be more complete.

Let us know how your diagnosis and fix goes.

I applaud the detail in your diagnosis and posting so far!
Old 09-06-2023, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

Come to think of it...since you'd be replacing the ball joint anyway, using a pickle fork and hammer would ensure that the ball joint does not pull the LCA sleeve with it.

Just don't damage the ball joint sleeve in the process.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (09-07-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BROlando
????

I gave you the most likely solution...
This is almost 100% for sure your issue.

Advice...

The car did not leave the factory with a squeaky suspension. And it didn't leave the factory with grease sprayed all over everything.

So why would spraying grease all over the suspension fix your issue?

You should spend time cleaning off that grease. Its going to collect dirt and break down the rubber components that are not compatible with it.
My local mechanic fixed the creaking noise by installing new sway bar links. Car is finally quiet!
Old 09-18-2023, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by maltbie
My local mechanic fixed the creaking noise by installing new sway bar links. Car is finally quiet!
Give it a couple of days