Conti DW not any better than the OEM MXM4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Conti DW not any better than the OEM MXM4 ?

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/oops-aftermath-help-874990/

Originally Posted by ceb
There is an offramp from a freeway near my house. It is marked for 25mph. With my Conti DW tires, I generally exit around 40 without much ado. The stock Michelins will do that at about the same speed and my Conti WinterExtremes will do that (dry) at somewhere between 35 and 40.

You should take a driving course to learn how to recognize your limits and your car's limits and stay below that. You'll also learn how handling changes as tires wear.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OE furnished tires.
This guy says that the Conti DW performed about the same as the OEM MXM4 in the dry.

I haven't tried the Conti DW nor the DWS. Would those who have please comment ?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I can say this; My oem mxm4 would chirp everytime I took off from a light. No issue with my conti. It's a much better tire and you will notice the difference. Car rides much better. Got mine from tire rack and I believe they are on sale.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
i had the DWS's on my TL and the only concern I had about them was the tendancy for them to 'flat spot' if parked for more than a couple of days. even with the softer sidewalls, I was still able to power into/out of off ramps with more confidence than the stock Mich's provided.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I never said (or implied) that the Michelins were as "good" or worse than any other tire. If our little buddy Edward wants to take something out of context then he can do it with someone else's post - not mine.

Edward claimed that the Michelin Pilots would take an offramp at 90km faster than the stock Michelins. That is baloney.

Of course the Pilots are a better warm weather tire for the enthusiast but they also wear faster, cost more and are useless when the temps drop (although Edward claimed that they do better on ice).

My point was that the stock tires are perfectly fine for the majority of owners. They are an intentional compromise between handling, wear and all season performance (as much as an all-season tire works in snow).

My post was prompted by a fellow who lost it on a curve in the wet. He had bald tires and Edward blamed the tires - I blamed the lack of tread.

Cliff notes

Some tires better than others
You need tread for roadholding
Stock OE tires perfectly fine
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by ceb

Of course the Pilots are a better warm weather tire for the enthusiast but they also wear faster, cost more and are useless when the temps drop (although Edward claimed that they do better on ice).

I've already asked you these questions, but you've try real hard to avoid answering them :

"When and where in which post did I say the Pilot Super Sport was better on ice than the crappy-performing OEM MXM4 ?"

"I have used more than a dozen different brands and models of tires, across various performance categories, from crappy-handling standard-touring all the way to super-performing extreme-performance tires; how many different tires have you used so far ?"

Are you preparing to answer them this time around ?

You seems to be reading everything from the internet, and you're using that knowledge to discuss tire performance between max-perf. (PSS) vs grand-touring all-season (MXM4) tires, with someone who has real-life experience of having used them on his cars.

That's why I have all but given up posting on the original thread, since there's not much point going further. I have resorted to read comments from other members who have dumped their crappy-performing OEM MXM4 tires and have upgraded to high-performance tires for more dry road performance and more emergency maneuver capability.

The comments from the 3G TL Tires & Wheels sub-forum are particularly interesting and straight to the point. Enjoy !

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/conti-dw-no-better-than-oem-mxm4-875473/
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've got the DWS tires and like them a lot.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I've got the DWS tires and like them a lot.
That is the general consensus I've read from everyone running DWS Conti's. I tried for months to get them a couple years ago but the demand was so high they were back ordered. I had to go with Bridgestones instead.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I've already asked you these questions, but you've try real hard to avoid answering them :

"When and where in which post did I say the Pilot Super Sport was better on ice than the crappy-performing OEM MXM4 ?"

"I have used more than a dozen different brands and models of tires, across various performance categories, from crappy-handling standard-touring all the way to super-performing extreme-performance tires; how many different tires have you used so far ?"

Are you preparing to answer them this time around ?

You seems to be reading everything from the internet, and you're using that knowledge to discuss tire performance between max-perf. (PSS) vs grand-touring all-season (MXM4) tires, with someone who has real-life experience of having used them on his cars.

That's why I have all but given up posting on the original thread, since there's not much point going further. I have resorted to read comments from other members who have dumped their crappy-performing OEM MXM4 tires and have upgraded to high-performance tires for more dry road performance and more emergency maneuver capability.

The comments from the 3G TL Tires & Wheels sub-forum are particularly interesting and straight to the point. Enjoy !

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875473

You actually said that in post #34 when you typed

"Let's say the OP had full-treaded tires, but made a mistake by traveling too fast under not-so-perfect road condition, or a kiddy darts out in front of your car in the rain, or the driver unknowingly runs over an ice patch during the winter time.

Under these situations, the crappy OEM tires will NOT cover your ass, but the extra traction/performance offered by high-performance tires MAY"

I responded to that a few posts later.

I won't try to convince you of my credentials because you seem unwilling to learn but suffice it to say that this is my business. I have (for the industry) driven cars on various tires virtually from the beginning of modern radial tire technology.

Continue to play in your sandbox and I'll stay out of it unless you continue to take my posts out of context.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:07 AM
2G TLX-S

Back in that thread, this was what I said in full (with no editing) :

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (post #34)
It is well known that the OEM tires are regular all-season tires which are not capable of delivering exception traction and extreme maneuvers, but aftermarket high-performance tires can.

Human being is human being. Everyone makes mistakes. No matter how good you are, no one is immune to mistakes and mis-judgements.

Let's say the OP had full-treaded tires, but made a mistake by traveling too fast under not-so-perfect road condition, or a kiddy darts out in front of your car in the rain, or the driver unknowingly runs over an ice patch during the winter time.

Under these situations, the crappy OEM tires will NOT cover your ass, but the extra traction/performance offered by high-performance tires MAY.

It is this extra insurance given by high-perf. tires that can forgive the driver's minor mistakes and mis-judgements.

Apart from adjusting their speed and following distance to road, traffic, weather and environmental conditions, smart drivers will also upgrade their tires to handle unexpected and extraordinary situations that may tax the tires' ability to the limits.

Remember the Michelin tagline : "Because there's so much riding on your tires."

This was a continuation of what I started off in post #15, once again quoted in full :

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (post #15)
Please ditch the crappy OEM all-season tires and instead get some decent high-performance tires best suited for the weather.

Remember this.

No matter how good it is the OEM suspension tuning and how advance it is the SH-AWD system, it all comes down to the four small patches of tire rubber that come in contact with the roads.

I was always talking with this point in mind : "Please ditch the crappy OEM all-season tires and instead get some decent high-performance tires best suited for the weather."

Thus, in post #34, when I said high-performance tires, I meant high-performance summer tires for the summer, and high-performance all-season/snow tires for the winter.

Still, high-perf. all-season and even some high-perf. snow tires will out-corner the crappy performing OEM MXM4 in both the dry and the wet.

Nowadays, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 and PA4 high-perf. snow tires are so advanced that they are on par with even the high-perf. all-season tires in the dry/wet/snow/ice, let alone the grand-touring all-season tires such as MXM4. The drawback are more noise and much shorter lifespan than normal.

It wasn't after you posted the following, that I mentioned the Pilot Super Sport summer tire for the very 1st time, just to illustrate how max-performance tires can virtually "blow the socks off" the crappy-performing OEM MXM4 A/S tire in the dry; simply because you couldn't even take corners with the Conti DW (max-perf tire) any faster than the OEM MXM4 (grand-touring A/S) :

Originally Posted by ceb (post #35)
There is an offramp from a freeway near my house. It is marked for 25mph. With my Conti DW tires, I generally exit around 40 without much ado. The stock Michelins will do that at about the same speed and my Conti WinterExtremes will do that (dry) at somewhere between 35 and 40.

You should take a driving course to learn how to recognize your limits and your car's limits and stay below that. You'll also learn how handling changes as tires wear.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OE furnished tires.

I absolutely can't see any value of a person's credentials when he said he had (for the industry) driven cars on various tires virtually from the beginning of modern radial tire technology, but wasn't able to take corners with maximum-performance summer tires any faster than with the grand-touring all-season tires in the dry.

I have used many different tires and have continuously posted reviews on them in the 2G/4G TL Tires & Wheels sub-forums. In the next few days, I'll post another new tire review on the Michelin's newest snow tire - Pilot Alpin PA4.

If you really have (used ?) tried so many tires, why don't you also post some reviews on them, so that all Acurazine members can benefit from your knowledge and experience too ?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
It took about 1.5k for my conti's DWS to begin to grip the road...Now I dont think I would buy any other brand for our daily drivers...jmho...
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
DW's are way better then the OEM tires that came with my car. Use them on both the 2 door BMW'S.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Lead Foot Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i bought my 09 Tech at 39k miles. I replaced the MXM* for DWS at 49k miles - it felt significantly smoother to me. I've been very happy with them so far (3.5k miles)