All-season tire recommenation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-season tire recommenation?

Hi,
I just bought a 2007 TL that has a set of Triangle Talon TR968s that are like new. I live in Connecticut and did a little research on the web and these are Chinese tires with little review data. They have M+S on the side which indicates they are all season. But the data I did find says they are not good in really any adverse weather conditions.

I am thinking of replacing these tires with a good set of all-weather tires. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a good all around tire that is quiet and handles good in all weather conditions in southern new england? oh yea.. dont want to break the bank either (college bills!!!)

Also, anyone have experience with the Triangle Talons I have?

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by emba129
Hi,
I just bought a 2007 TL that has a set of Triangle Talon TR968s that are like new. I live in Connecticut and did a little research on the web and these are Chinese tires with little review data. They have M+S on the side which indicates they are all season. But the data I did find says they are not good in really any adverse weather conditions.

I am thinking of replacing these tires with a good set of all-weather tires. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a good all around tire that is quiet and handles good in all weather conditions in southern new england? oh yea.. dont want to break the bank either (college bills!!!)

Also, anyone have experience with the Triangle Talons I have?

Thanks
Chris
From everything I have read, and given your location, Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tire would be a good choice. I'm running Yoko's on my winter vehicle, but I will be relying on studded snow tires for the white stuff. Also, you need to post in the 3G forum.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM
7th Gear

Thanks..
This is a user review on the continentals which concerns me a bit. It is from a fellow TL owner
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season)Reviewer's Overall Rating: 7.252006 Acura TL Automatic TransmissionMore Tire Reviews for This Vehicle
5,000Miles driven on tires:
St. Charles, ILLocation:
Combined Highway/CityDriving Condition:
Average

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE. I fed into all the other positive reviews for this tire too. Great in winter, 60 day satisfaction guarantee, free GPS, low price, etc. I replaced a set of worn Dunlops with these tires on my Acura. For the past two months I have had constant vibrations at 50 and at 70. Also, THESE TIRES FLAT SPOT ALMOST EVERY NIGHT. The first couple miles of the drive every day was very uncomfortable and bumpy. Also, these tires are kind of noisy and it only got worse the more miles I put on. I had the car re-balanced, then road force balanced, aligned, and inspected twice. Tire Rack suggested that I just do the Continental guarantee and take the credit towards another set of tires. I ended up driving to Tire Rack headquarters in South Bend, Indiana as to not have to wait for reimbursement and have the direct source install the new set of tires. They did tell me that they have had a lot of complaints about the tire, mostly from flat spotting due to the soft side wall. I asked why there are so many positive reviews and they said a lot of people are just thinking these tires are so great because of the low price. The truth is, as they put it, you pay for what you get. The new Michelin's I have on the car are perfect. No vibrations, better handling, and NO FLATSPOTTING. I really wish I could have seen how the DWS's did during winter driving but I'm happy I was able to make the switch before my 60 day guarantee was up. Oh and if you get a chance and you are near Tire Rack headquarters, they had excellent customer service and did a thorough job at making sure each tire was balanced correctly and on the right corner of the car.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Ya, I read that one too. But there are another 100 that don't mention anything about flat spotting. The only issue that would give this review any credit is the fact that it is an Acura. I have heard some bad reviews from Conti owners in the past as well. If your gut tells you not to buy them, pick another tire.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-21-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I can confirm what emba129 says the difficulties with this tire. I have just had a set installed on my TL and can tell you that there is a persistent vibration that does seem to go away, in fact gets worse at speed (over 75 mph
) I am going in Saturday for a road-force balance to see if it can be corrected. Otherwise I really like the tire! its very smooth, hangs on in the wet and absorbs small bumps really well. Everything is good up to 60, then it starts!

Contniental says it might be the W speed rating is just not compatible with the TL's suspension. Regardless they say they will stand behind their 60 day customer satisfaction replacement. Which I may have to use!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mtc46jw
Well I can confirm what emba129 says the difficulties with this tire. I have just had a set installed on my TL and can tell you that there is a persistent vibration that does seem to go away, in fact gets worse at speed (over 75 mph
) I am going in Saturday for a road-force balance to see if it can be corrected. Otherwise I really like the tire! its very smooth, hangs on in the wet and absorbs small bumps really well. Everything is good up to 60, then it starts!

Contniental says it might be the W speed rating is just not compatible with the TL's suspension. Regardless they say they will stand behind their 60 day customer satisfaction replacement. Which I may have to use!
what? that is just sad. These are such good M&S tires. As for the "W" rating, that's just a good excuse for Conti. (Obviously)There is a fault in the sidewall construction.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have them and after over 9000 miles I have not had any problems - FWIW
Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I've had good luck with these brands in the past.

General Exclaim UHP

Toyo Versado LX

Yokohama ADVAN S4
Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Takehold66
I have them and after over 9000 miles I have not had any problems - FWIW
Has the road noise increased with mileage? How is the road noise compared to the OE Michelins??
Old 10-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
To me they were and are still quieter than the OEM tires. There is a reason they are #1 on TR. There will always be negative opinions on anything but the majority of people seem to be very happy with these tires overall. I don't think there is a perfect tire. You have weigh the pros and cons of each and buy a tire that meets your needs. For me it was wet traction and tread life that were most important and this tire is very good at both. As a bonus they are quiet and the price is great. To me it was an easy decision. Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i had the yokohama advan s4 on my 07 type s for the last 5k miles i owned the car...i really liked them, but cant comment on snow....
Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
^ The ADVAN S4's were the last set I had on my CL. Was very impressed with the wear, traction, and mileage I was going to get out of them if I hadn't moved into the TL. As I was seriously looking into the DWS's to replace the OEM Michelins, the concerns raised earlier in this thread are somewhat disconcerting. However, as I currently have over 20K miles on my OEM Mich's, it looks like I'll easily make it to the winter change-over, and will have until spring to research and purchase replacements for the OEMs.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtc46jw

Continental rep. says it might be the W speed rating is just not compatible with the TL's suspension. Regardless they say they will stand behind their 60 day customer satisfaction replacement. Which I may have to use!
Well, just so you know...did the road force re-balancing stuff, and road tested the car. Its still too rough and bumpy for my tastes. They did the run-out checks and rotated the tires on the rims to get things as close as possible, but still no joy.

Don't get me wrong, its a great handling tire but not for me too bumpy. Accordingly, I will forget the idea of an "all-purpose-all-season" performance tire and go with some dedicated continental extreme winter contact tires then get some good summer touring tires in the spring.

Too bad it didn't work out, but I just couldn't see myself taking a long trip in them. It was annoying to feel the bumpiness all the time.

Perhaps I was just unlucky and got a bad set. who knows. For me the dedicated snows (225-55-17's) are perhaps the smarter choice in the long run given all our snow up here.

Continental has been great about the 60 day return policy though. And promises the tires in 2 weeks or so. Let hope they can find and deliver! even those seem in high demand!

Cheers
Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

I have 2010 TL SH-AWD that I replaced the oem Michelins with these Continentals DWS tires. While I have not had them in the snow yet I am thrilled so far with them. They handle as good or better than the Michelins, much better in the rain and are fairly quiet.

Anxious to see how they handle the white stuff, being in Chicago something tells me I wont have to wait too much longer.

I have not experienced any flat spotting as others have reported. After 4K miles, I would certainly recommend them to other TL owners.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I am not sure why these people are getting the flat spot issue as to I have had the DWS on my Lexus GS300 for more than a year now without a single issue.

We just installed a set of these on my brother's RL and he is in love so far

They do perform awesome in light or even deep snow and are unbeatable in rain.