2012 TL FWD and DWS06 Tires

Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL FWD and DWS06 Tires

Hello, I am running a 2012 TL on the base 17" wheels and still on the terrible oem Michelin tires. I am ready to replace them and there really are not a ton of options for that wheel size. I have it narrowed down to the DWS06 and maybe the pureContacts also by continental.

I have read over 20 forum posts and 100 hundred reviews of the DWS06 and there seems to be a trend of the DWS06 not being a good tire at highway speeds on the TL, the reports say it feels floaty and is slow to respond. I wanted to see if some other users running on these tires feel that way? If so how severe is it? I know these tires are generally highly regarded, but I just wanted to get more real world opinions. I promise I have conducted a search of the forum, but there seems to be no conclusion on this. Also about of the tirerack reviews of the tire by 4g TLs are negative.

Whatever tire I do buy I will give a full review later on in this forum after mounting them.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Tires are subjective.
no two people are the same. Which means reviews don't mean much when it comes to tires.
The best practice is to set your sights on one tire, purchase and if you do not like that particular tire...Do not purchase again....
Expensive experiment..... But that's the only way to do it.

You can review that tire if you want, but it comes down to personal preference....On why you liked or disliked the tire.
No two ppl will be the same
Old 03-14-2017, 09:41 AM

I prefer summer tires, because I live in Texas. Summer year round.
some ppl rave about a certain tire, so I purchased....Only my experience wasn't so great. Will never purchase that tire again! It was the nitto NT05's...I personally found the tires finicky when cold and tire pressure had to be spot on...Or I'd slide.

Which then brought me to the direzza star spec z1's....
Way better tire, to me!

I've now moved on to nitto invo's. Which I like too.
It's a personal experiment.

​​​
Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

So in other words, you can read all the reviews you want.... But won't mean jack until you personally find a tire that you like
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
DWS06 drivers a picky drivers who love performance hence the Ultra HIgh Performance All Season Tire. Purecontact seems to be Grand touring so meant for less sporty drivers.

Either way you go, the tires you get (DWS06 or purecontact) you'll be doing better than the worn stock tires. Discount tire offers a refund policy if you aren't happy with your purchase. They have been incredible to my family for the last 10 years. I bought some tires from ebay from them and the price dropped the following day by $50. An email over to them and I was refunded $50!
The following users liked this post:
TeamAcura (04-24-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
While I agree that tires and tire reviews can be very subjective, I took a leap and recently purchased a set of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 for my '11 6-6 Coupe and they are great. I heard about them from a friend who got a set as 'temporary' tires and couldn't get over good they were.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toModClar=Base

They are great in the wet, and perform great in the dry. I find myself going more than a few mph faster on certain turns, exit and on ramps than I did on my previous tires. Tire noise is also greatly reduced and I wasn't running what anyone would have considered a 'performance' tire before these. Mileage warranty for the W speed-rated version is 4 years / 45K and honestly, for the price I paid (A bit over $400 shipped for a set to my door) if they last 20K miles performing like they do now, I'd gladly keeping buying them.
The following users liked this post:
kev9999 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ctandc
While I agree that tires and tire reviews can be very subjective, I took a leap and recently purchased a set of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 for my '11 6-6 Coupe and they are great. I heard about them from a friend who got a set as 'temporary' tires and couldn't get over good they were.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toModClar=Base

They are great in the wet, and perform great in the dry. I find myself going more than a few mph faster on certain turns, exit and on ramps than I did on my previous tires. Tire noise is also greatly reduced and I wasn't running what anyone would have considered a 'performance' tire before these. Mileage warranty for the W speed-rated version is 4 years / 45K and honestly, for the price I paid (A bit over $400 shipped for a set to my door) if they last 20K miles performing like they do now, I'd gladly keeping buying them.
Thanks for all the responses! I looked at that tire and a tire rack advisor advised me against them heavily. I am very heavily tempted by them for the price though.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kev9999
Thanks for all the responses! I looked at that tire and a tire rack advisor advised me against them heavily. I am very heavily tempted by them for the price though.
Really? That's odd. The tire rack online support person I talked to raved about them. Different strokes I guess. I'm sure there are some tires that work great on certain cars / chassis and some that don't. Tire Rack has been great to do business with, I remember calling to ask a question about lugs / hug rings on some Enkei wheels (that they didn't even carry and yes I mentioned that) and the customer support person went out of their way to make sure I had the right hub rings and lugs and to top it off they were cheaper then anyone else. All that for a sale that if I remember correctly was under $50.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by kev9999
see what I mean by subjective...

Every one and their momma will have a different opinion. And Rightfully so! as each person's tolerance to bumps, noise, etc will be different.

just grab a tire....and if you dnt like it...see if you can return...like poster above suggested.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ctandc
Really? That's odd. The tire rack online support person I talked to raved about them. Different strokes I guess. I'm sure there are some tires that work great on certain cars / chassis and some that don't. Tire Rack has been great to do business with, I remember calling to ask a question about lugs / hug rings on some Enkei wheels (that they didn't even carry and yes I mentioned that) and the customer support person went out of their way to make sure I had the right hub rings and lugs and to top it off they were cheaper then anyone else. All that for a sale that if I remember correctly was under $50.

replace car/chassis with PEOPLE.
cars/chassis will ALWAYS benefit from the stickiest tire. you will gain better acceleration, better handling, and better stopping distances...BECAUSE of traction.
it's us, humans, who want; Long life, low noise, good traction, low price, great in wet, etc. except there will ALWAYS be a compromise. ALWAYS
Old 03-15-2017, 01:17 PM

we call All Season's, NO SEASONS...

cuz it compromises SOO much
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i put DWS on the wife's 2012 FWD and they are much smoother than the Hankook V12 EVOs that were on there
Old 04-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I have DWS06 on my summer wheels and they great all around tires. Smooth and quiet. What's more impressive is they grip for all season tires. Dry and wet. No squealing or sliding. I was quite surprised. I've only driven it for 5 thousand miles so far so long term I do not know how well they will hold up.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
It's very true that tire opinions are subjective. Plus each car is a bit different. Ours is FWD only.
But I don't understand the hate for the 17" Michelin tires. HXMXM4 96V M+S
We had these tires installed when we got the car used in 2012, so we have had them for 5 years, 60,000 km and they look like they are about 50% worn for tread depth.
I do think they are a bit harsh when cold, and they do make different noises on various hiway surfaces. Yes, they are "touring tires" not HP tires.
Apparently there is a difference between the tires that are installed at the factory (made for best mileage) and aftermarket tires even when they have the same name and same specs.
I've read that and tend to believe it, but don't have any documentation to confirm it.
But we have driven for many hours on long trips. 12 hour drives at 70 - 80 mph with outside temp about 90F.
We have driven through the mountains in W Va. for hours in terrible icy snowy winter driving with barely two vague tracks showing in one lane of the interstate.
For normal sensible driving there is nothing wrong with these tires. MHO.LOL.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
It's very true that tire opinions are subjective. Plus each car is a bit different. Ours is FWD only.
But I don't understand the hate for the 17" Michelin tires. HXMXM4 96V M+S
We had these tires installed when we got the car used in 2012, so we have had them for 5 years, 60,000 km and they look like they are about 50% worn for tread depth.
I do think they are a bit harsh when cold, and they do make different noises on various hiway surfaces. Yes, they are "touring tires" not HP tires.
Apparently there is a difference between the tires that are installed at the factory (made for best mileage) and aftermarket tires even when they have the same name and same specs.
I've read that and tend to believe it, but don't have any documentation to confirm it.
But we have driven for many hours on long trips. 12 hour drives at 70 - 80 mph with outside temp about 90F.
We have driven through the mountains in W Va. for hours in terrible icy snowy winter driving with barely two vague tracks showing in one lane of the interstate.
For normal sensible driving there is nothing wrong with these tires. MHO.LOL.
The problem with the MIchellin Pilot HX MXM4s is that they are expensive while harsh and noisy. Dry handling is pretty good but that's about it. For the price there are much better options out there.

I am running the softer Michellin Primacy MXM4. They are okay. Better than the Pilot HX MXM4 in terms of ride comfort and noise. Handling is about the same. But then again for the price, I'll go with different tires next time.

And btw, Michelin naming conventions can be confusing lol.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed 255/45/17 DWS06 on my TL this morning.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I just purchased new wheels and the DWS06's from Tirerack and had them mount and balance them. <1000 miles but I'm very happy with them so far. It's true that they're a bit squirly on the highway but it doesn't bother me. They don't flat spot like the previous gen DWS's did on my '06 and they corner plenty well considering I have 17's and the tires are 225/55/17's which means a larger sidewall than if you have 18's or 19's.

BTW, 17's were fine for the '06 but yeah, they're a bit small for the 4th gen. I might be the only one on the whole damn board that gets aftermarket 17's. They sure do move though. 15.5lbs. It was like going from Doc Martins to running shoes.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
I just purchased new wheels and the DWS06's from Tirerack and had them mount and balance them. <1000 miles but I'm very happy with them so far. It's true that they're a bit squirly on the highway but it doesn't bother me. They don't flat spot like the previous gen DWS's did on my '06 and they corner plenty well considering I have 17's and the tires are 225/55/17's which means a larger sidewall than if you have 18's or 19's.

BTW, 17's were fine for the '06 but yeah, they're a bit small for the 4th gen. I might be the only one on the whole damn board that gets aftermarket 17's. They sure do move though. 15.5lbs. It was like going from Doc Martins to running shoes.
What car are you running 225/55 R17s on? A 2006 Acura TL? If so then you're running an incorrect size and your speedometer and odometer will be registering significantly lower speeds and fewer miles than you are actually traveling.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
2012. 225/55/17 is an approved alternate size for the stock 245/50/17 tires. The 245's are 0.7" wider but the 225's are the same diameter and have a sufficient load rating for the car. The car actually came with 225/55/17s when I purchased it used from the dealer.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by losiglow
2012. 225/55/17 is an approved alternate size for the stock 245/50/17 tires. The 245's are 0.7" wider but the 225's are the same diameter and have a sufficient load rating for the car. The car actually came with 225/55/17s when I purchased it used from the dealer.
Ahhh, makes perfect sense then; I thought you were talking about a Gen 3 TL.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To OP,

I driven my DWS06 for 50k miles now and I will tell you I enjoyed every one of those miles over the stock Goodyear Eagle that came stock with my 12 TL awd. I do have the adv. 19in rims so keep that in mind.

I do take on/off ramps and every corner with throttle on which these tires can grip very well. The snow traction is not bad but anything is better than stock. I live in MA so snow is a concern. They are very aggressive tires so there will be some road noise but I also have 19's with 40 profile. For ultra perf. tires that you can depend on year round DWS06 is excellent especially the price.

Right now I am looking for a new set and have my eyes on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, just waiting for Costco to have the $80 rebates and 1 cents installation.

I am open to options and like to try something new so that is why I am switching to Michelin for my next set. But I would get the DWS06 again if the opportunity arises.

Btw, what type of driving style are you? Aggressive, moderate, casual? What do you expect your tires to do, like last more than 60k mi, fuel econ, smooth highway driving, or loads of grip? If your looking for best fuel econ and last more than 50k miles than I would say look for a different tire.

Hope that helps you in making the decision if you have not already done so.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by fryrice
I driven my DWS06 for 50k miles now and I will tell you I enjoyed every one of those miles over the stock Goodyear Eagle that came stock with my 12 TL awd. I do have the adv. 19in rims so keep that in mind.
I assume you're talking about Goodyear Eagle RSAs, yes no? If "yes", comparing them to the DWS06s is like comparing a silk purse to the proverbial sow's ear; the RSAs are some of the crappiest tires ever foisted on the driving public. Said another way, pretty much anything would be an upgrade.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
I assume you're talking about Goodyear Eagle RSAs, yes no? If "yes", comparing them to the DWS06s is like comparing a silk purse to the proverbial sow's ear; the RSAs are some of the crappiest tires ever foisted on the driving public. Said another way, pretty much anything would be an upgrade.
oh yea RSA, those are the stock tires for the 19s
Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 PM
7th Gear

I have the DWS06 tires in 245/4518 on my 2013 TL AWD. Love them. I have about 15k on the combination. The tires are no longer the limiting factor when cornering.

I have noticed a little bit of flat spotting (?) when the car is cold for the first few miles. The car will vibrate a little, but once the tires come up to temp it goes away. You would think it would happen more in warmer weather, but seems to be the opposite.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by aturk
I have the DWS06 tires in 245/4518 on my 2013 TL AWD. Love them. I have about 15k on the combination. The tires are no longer the limiting factor when cornering.

I have noticed a little bit of flat spotting (?) when the car is cold for the first few miles. The car will vibrate a little, but once the tires come up to temp it goes away. You would think it would happen more in warmer weather, but seems to be the opposite.
Regardless of tire, flat spotting is virtually always worse the colder the weather gets. Fact of life.

Search this Thread