'09 TL Vibration in seat between 65-75 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '09 TL Vibration in seat between 65-75 mph

This is a 2009 Acura TL (FWD) with about 70,000 miles. It's on the second set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s (only about 15k miles on them) purchased from NTB. I am experiencing vibration in the seat between 65-75mph (no difference in vibration whether accelerating or coasting). This vibration occurred only after my recent tire rotation and balance at NTB. I've returned about 5 or 6 times for them to perform several more road force balance tests, and I am still experiencing the same vibration. They did not indicate any issues such as a bent rim, warped rotor, etc. causing the issue. In one of the visits, they had even put on two new tires (same type). However, still same issue with vibration in seat. I've read several threads searching for similar issues, but could not come up with much other than potentially being an axle issue? I slipped it into neutral through and still experienced the same vibration. Other than the potential for NTB to continually screw up the balance, what else could be my issue? I am going back to NTB again tonight and want to be able to come away with some sort of solution.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not an expert when it comes to this but I've had this on my car and my girls car.

We both had our tires changed at the same time, and both experienced vibrations at a certain speed. I have 09 TL, she has 05 g35.

We did everything just like you..

Long story short, it wasnt until we got new rotors and brakes that both of our vibrations stopped. We live in south florida where there's heat and rain. Driving in the heat, then having to go over a puddle of water, does alot to the brakes and rotors. It became apparent when we swapped out the tires.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago when I have my summer tires rotated. In my case, the vibration came from the front. I had no vibration before the rotation. I remove the front wheels to check for any missing weights. Everything was good. When I put the wheels back on, I spent extra time to tightened the lug nuts evenly with a torque wrench. The vibration reduced substantially.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sKepz
I'm not an expert when it comes to this but I've had this on my car and my girls car.
Originally Posted by sKepz

We both had our tires changed at the same time, and both experienced vibrations at a certain speed. I have 09 TL, she has 05 g35.

We did everything just like you..

Long story short, it wasnt until we got new rotors and brakes that both of our vibrations stopped. We live in south florida where there's heat and rain. Driving in the heat, then having to go over a puddle of water, does alot to the brakes and rotors. It became apparent when we swapped out the tires.

Sorry for the delayed response. I know the brakes and rotors have not been replaced in the time I've had the car (35k miles to 70k miles). Recently I have been experiencing some vibration during braking, and especially notice sensitivity and noise for a brief time after washing the car. However, everything I've read says that vibration due to rotors/brakes is usually only experienced when engaging the brake, not cruising at high speeds. The vibration I experience is not in the wheel, but in the seat bucket, between 65 and 75 mph, and it's while just cruising along (no brakes applied).

I've read that CV Joint could be causing vibration, but I have not experienced anything that would lead me to think they are bad (e.g., clicking while making sharp turn). The shop (NTB) also said they did not notice any issues of damage on the CV Joint.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Samba
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago when I have my summer tires rotated. In my case, the vibration came from the front. I had no vibration before the rotation. I remove the front wheels to check for any missing weights. Everything was good. When I put the wheels back on, I spent extra time to tightened the lug nuts evenly with a torque wrench. The vibration reduced substantially.
Each time, they've done a road force balance which also involves rotating the tires as necessary. Each time I experience vibration in the seat and floor. Not in the wheel. I find it hard to believe it would be due to lug nuts?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
just to clear things up.. you did get an alignment after getting new tires right? especially all 4 tires.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by potmilkz
just to clear things up.. you did get an alignment after getting new tires right? especially all 4 tires.
Yes. I am not experiencing any pull to the right or left. I do not think alignment issues would be indicative of vibration at highway speeds.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:14 AM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi Priddy,

I had exactly same issue I bought new rims XXR 530s 19" and new summer tires.
I took car back to the tire place thet said there is hop in my rims means they r oval.
Then I took my car to the rim repair shop he said go to the tire shop tell them to put the wheel on the balance machine and see myself if the tire is oval BINGO. My 2 front tires had hop in them(they were not round) and rims were good. So they had to replace all 4 tires.

So go to the tire shop and see for yourself I have no doubt that you have defective tires. Now I have no vibration whatsoever.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LADHAR
Hi Priddy,

I had exactly same issue I bought new rims XXR 530s 19" and new summer tires.
I took car back to the tire place thet said there is hop in my rims means they r oval.
Then I took my car to the rim repair shop he said go to the tire shop tell them to put the wheel on the balance machine and see myself if the tire is oval BINGO. My 2 front tires had hop in them(they were not round) and rims were good. So they had to replace all 4 tires.

So go to the tire shop and see for yourself I have no doubt that you have defective tires. Now I have no vibration whatsoever.
I actually had the car in again last night for this same issue (probably my 9th time with 3rd round of new staff at this NTB). Put it on the road force balance again. Cleaned the rims up. The road force machine said the tires were all in balance, but noticed that one of the rims had a small "hop" in it. First time I've heard this from them in my 9 return visits for this same issue. Took it out on the road and still felt the vibration between 65 and 75mph in the seat of the car.

I'm not sure of my next course of action: Do I take their word for it and replace the rims? Do I request they look at it again? What if the problem is really in the tires and I invest $500+ in rims and still have this issue?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by priddy4286
Yes. I am not experiencing any pull to the right or left. I do not think alignment issues would be indicative of vibration at highway speeds.

so how long after you got new tires that you did alignment?

how many miles now did you put on the tires?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by potmilkz
so how long after you got new tires that you did alignment?

how many miles now did you put on the tires?
Alignment was only a couple months ago, and at most, 2,000 miles. Based on what I've read and the mechanics I've talked with, alignment would cause in wear in the tire over time, not suddenly. The vibration I am experiencing occurred after a standard rotation/balance. They still can't get it right (unless there is some other looming issue causing the vibration in the seat that is not the tire)...
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 PM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
You should go back in the shop and tell them to actually show you
You can easily differentiate if the hop is in your rims or its tires.
My shop knew that since the beginning but they kept on saying that its my rims for first 3 times I went there but when i myself saw the hop then they acknowledged it so dont just trust them see yourself. I put 10000 city km on them before they replaced them.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 AM
10th Gear

I had the ’09 TL back in this weekend. Rotated tires to the front, still feel vibration in the seat (ruling out the tires/wheels causing my vibration). Checked bearings, shocks, cv joints, rotors, etc...no issues. Car appears in great shape. Any advice would be great. Don’t want to throw parts randomly hoping to fix this issue.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by priddy4286
I had the ’09 TL back in this weekend. Rotated tires to the front, still feel vibration in the seat (ruling out the tires/wheels causing my vibration). Checked bearings, shocks, cv joints, rotors, etc...no issues. Car appears in great shape. Any advice would be great. Don’t want to throw parts randomly hoping to fix this issue.
I too just had my tires rotated back-front to diagnose my vibration and had no effect. I'm beginning to look away from the wheels as the root cause and will look at driveline components to start crossing them off the list.

If your car is SH-AWD, it would be worth it to have dealership inspect the propeller shaft. I understand those can go out of balance, especially with worn or damaged u-joints. The bearings on these prop shafts are also known to go bad.

EDIT: Oh sorry I see now you have FWD version. Other ideas might be to check for worn shocks and bad motor mounts causing vibration? Here's an awesome site:

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/det...s?limitstart=0
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So the propellor shaft can cause vibrations in driving?

I had mine replaced under warranty due to the noise it made while driving but have had vibrations. Problem is that I had it replaced within the first week of owning the car, so I can't be positive it vibrated before or not.

But I sure as hell will take it there if that's the case
Old 09-11-2014, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

I got a message from NTB yesterday approving to replace all tires to see if this eliminates the vibration. Unsure if they will put Primacy MXM4s on again or something different. I will update once installed and tested.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how did it goes after NTB replaced the tires?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 AM
10th Gear

I'd say it's 99.5% resolved via the new tires. They put on new Primacy MXM4s from a different lot #. On the old tires, they found some "soft spots" on the inner wall of one of the tires. Took over 10 visits to NTB to correct, but it appears to have solved it.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Acura Tl Sh-AWD
I am getting a Vibration at 70 miles to 80 miles per hour. I seem to get a hop around 30 to 40 miles an hour. I have 18 inch factory wheels with 57,000 miles on my car.I had replaced my factory installed tires with Continental's ExtremeContact DWS. I had the tire shop tell me one of my rims was bent so i paid them to send it out and recondition the rim. I still had vibration so i sent the other rim out also after all said and don i don't believe my rims where bent in the first place. I had the shop replace two of the tires. I went back after a month because i still had vibrations They replaced the other two tires. Still no luck I still have the vibrations.I replaced the Rotors , brake pads , I had the wheels balanced few times by two different tire shops. I had a 4 wheel alignment. I purchased these tires in 12-2013 had two replace in March or May 2014 then the other two in June 2014.The new tire place tells me I have 10/32 tread left basically still new tires I'm sick of this vibrations I'm stuck on what is my next fix. I Just drove to Washington Dc from NY this past weekend and it drove me nuts with the vibrations
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda70
2009 Acura Tl Sh-AWD
I am getting a Vibration at 70 miles to 80 miles per hour. I seem to get a hop around 30 to 40 miles an hour. I have 18 inch factory wheels with 57,000 miles on my car.I had replaced my factory installed tires with Continental's ExtremeContact DWS. I had the tire shop tell me one of my rims was bent so i paid them to send it out and recondition the rim. I still had vibration so i sent the other rim out also after all said and don i don't believe my rims where bent in the first place. I had the shop replace two of the tires. I went back after a month because i still had vibrations They replaced the other two tires. Still no luck I still have the vibrations.I replaced the Rotors , brake pads , I had the wheels balanced few times by two different tire shops. I had a 4 wheel alignment. I purchased these tires in 12-2013 had two replace in March or May 2014 then the other two in June 2014.The new tire place tells me I have 10/32 tread left basically still new tires I'm sick of this vibrations I'm stuck on what is my next fix. I Just drove to Washington Dc from NY this past weekend and it drove me nuts with the vibrations
Continental DWS need to be high pressure mounted to ensure the bead seals on the rim and the tire balances out. Make sure you go to a place that uses road force balancing machines.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM
10th Gear

I purchased these tires for my Acura On December 2013 since that time I have been to the place that sold them to me several times having the tires checked for a wobble and vibrations to my car. I had two tires replaced in Feb, 2014 and then the other two in March 2014 I had the tires rebalanced several times , rims supposedly repaired or straighten because the tire shop said it must be my rims. Cost of rim repair $75- $90. Cost of tires mounted $944.00. Cost of re balancing $100 extra over several visits. As time went on the wobble and Vibrations got worse. I Contacted Continental and they informed me to go back to one of the Continental tires dealers to inspect my tires. I chose to visit a different tire shop. They too see no apparent defects or bent rims. They contacted Continental which in turn prorated the tire return quietly and offered me $148 per tire. I still had my Michelin tires which came off the Acura in the first place. Cost to reinstalled my old tires $130.00. And GUESS what my car drives normal now with no vibrations or wobble ! I have been dealing with this for almost 1 year. I wonder how many other people have this issue with these tires. Should we consider a Class Action lawsuit ?

Last edited by cuda70; 11-25-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 AM
10th Gear

Take a look at the search I did on this tire related to wobble
https://www.google.com/search?output...ct+dws+wobble+
Old 11-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda70
Take a look at the search I did on this tire related to wobble
https://www.google.com/search?output...ct+dws+wobble+
If you what I read posted above, you'll see that the wobble occurs bc the tire is not properly attached to the rim. I ran into the same problem with the Continental DW tire. THey are inflated to 50+PSI to help get them to mount and then brought down to the right level. A good tire shop should know how to install the product. IMO go to discount tire, they have never let anyone I know down and they price match any other competitor.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:31 PM
10th Gear

Continental Tires shipped back to Continental they can stick them. Ill never buy Continental's again Paid $950.00 installed , Continental paying me $148 per tire I feel like i got bent over
Old 01-21-2015, 02:41 PM
10th Gear

I took the car to the dealer and had they check the car over. I got the car to vibrate at 75 to 85 with the service manager in the car his response was come on we are speeding don't drive that fast. Tells me they can't find any problems. The Service guy who i got my keys from tells me Im better off selling the car what a laugh

Going back to Subaru I think. I have had 3 Subaru's so far this would be my 4th