Vibration at highway speeds, progress at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Vibration at highway speeds, progress at dealership

So I was posting in a different thread but I decided to start my own.

Basically my car has a "driving on gravel" feeling around 70MPH. Its a 2012 advance AWD.

--------
Howdy just to give an update on my situation,

I have a 2012 awd advance with the eagle rsa stock tires. Car has 29K on it.
Car has had the propellor shaft replaced and the tires balanced twice.

Current dealership wasn't being very good at figuring out the issue for my vibration which was greater at higher speeds.

Took it to another dealership and did a test drive with the tech. He said "wow thats not normal"

So they have the car and I have a loaner. I'll let you all know what they come up with.
---------
Well the car has been at the dealership for 3 days. They said that so far theyve only test drove it again and visually checked under the car for a few things. Theyre going to start from the tires and work their way in, rims, joints, axle, drive shaft, transmission etc. He said it could take a couple days.

One thing they were going to do was take the rims and tires off another advance (19inch) and drive the car and see if the problem duplicates, easy way to determine if its the tires or rims I guess!

Too bad if they tell me I need new tires that I probably can't get those replaced under warranty since they are the stock?? I dont think so, since wear is affected by driver patterns etc.
---------
Daily update:

Dealership called me today to say that they have driven the car again and still felt the vibration. They have replaced the propellor shaft, and still felt the virbation. Theyre taking the wheels and tires to a shop and getting it roadforce balanced. I'll let you all know what I hear next. Point is they talk to me like "vibration is still there" meaning theyre agreeing its not normal
---------
Day 6 update:

Dealership called me at 8 am. Said they got the tires back from the shop that was doing the roadforce balance and everything was well below standard specs.

The tech is going to call the acura service line again and see what they recommend the fix be. The rep verified that everything is going under the warranty and not charged to me.

I have a 2012 awd advance automatic with 29K on it with eagle rsa tires.

I'm getting used to driving this RDX O.o
---------
Day 7: No update yet, they'll probably call later today
---------
Day 8:

Update! Dealership called and said that they are waiting for approval to replace both full axle assemblies. Again he confirmed this is all under warranty. He said he'll call later today and let me know when it gets approved as he has them in stock.
---------

So follow me for my updates in hoping of a smooth ride
The following users liked this post:
mynameisjacob (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Can a mod edit the title of this to "12 AWD Vibration at highway speeds, progress at dealership" so its easier for people to find it in search?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Hmm interesting. Are they replacing axle assemblies on a hunch or did they actually find something?

Also, how severe would you describe your vibration? Was it a slight vibration from steering wheel or was it frighteningly severe that you felt scared to drive the vehicle?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Instructor

The vibration is more in the seat, but if I have my visor down, the visor shakes. Like I said, it feels like youre driving on a gravel road or there are rocks in the tread of the tires. Just not smooth any way at all.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Oh and they said the axle is next on the list in diagnosing the issue. They go through the acura tach line and try thing ones by one until the find the issue. I could care less if they keep the car another month if they fix the issue at no cost to me.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Do you buy the car new, or does it have any collision damage ?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Used from carmax, clean carfax
Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Characteristic of the vehicle" was my result today. The vibration persists.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Day 10: no update
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Day 14: I was called that I could come pick up my car. They replaced the axles and had no change in the vibration. They on a hunch took the wheels to a different dealership (mazda) and had the wheels balanced. He said they weren't balanced right and 2 wheels were actually having some issues. They balanced them and moved the 2 wheels to the back axle.

The advisor basically told me this, he said the tires are bad but not in a safety issue. The car has 29K on it and has the OEM eagle RSA. He said if I rotate those 2 tires to the front, I'll have more vibration and if I go through Goodyear they'll prorate me a discount on another goodyear set. He told me to get new tires if it gets intolerable but I have to admit the vibration got better but not nonexistent.

So in my cause, Goodyear is my issue. He told me guaranteed my ride will improve if I get new tires.

This whole experience cost me nothing, it was all under warranty.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Bah... vibration issues are a bitch. Thank you for keeping us updated, I appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by SlyAccord
The vibration is more in the seat, but if I have my visor down, the visor shakes. Like I said, it feels like youre driving on a gravel road or there are rocks in the tread of the tires. Just not smooth any way at all.
Vibration in seat means it's the rear wheels that are causing it. IMO new tires and a balancing on a HUNTER ROAD FORCE BALANCER should solve all the issues.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
IMO new tires and a balancing on a HUNTER ROAD FORCE BALANCER should solve all the issues.
true, if the tires are made to spec. however there are sometimes defective tires that do make it down the assembly line
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow just searched this and i have similar issue.

when i am driving on the highway around 70mph i get a slight vibration. i would say after 25min of highway driving my hands feel a bit numb/tingling.

i also have a 12 TL awd advance pkg. and have the same goodyear rsa tires.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Yea I got new tires that fixed it.. F those goodyears
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

So there was nothing wrong with the car, just bad tires ?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Instructor

New tires...sounds good to me gonna go with continental dws

my dealership has the buy 3 and 4th for $10 gonna see how much it's gonna cost going through them.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Instructor

I mean, I have the advance with 19s, I think there is always some vibration, but lord Jesus did it get better with new tires.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Day 14: I was called that I could come pick up my car. They replaced the axles and had no change in the vibration. They on a hunch took the wheels to a different dealership (mazda) and had the wheels balanced. He said they weren't balanced right and 2 wheels were actually having some issues. They balanced them and moved the 2 wheels to the back axle.

The advisor basically told me this, he said the tires are bad but not in a safety issue. The car has 29K on it and has the OEM eagle RSA. He said if I rotate those 2 tires to the front, I'll have more vibration and if I go through Goodyear they'll prorate me a discount on another goodyear set. He told me to get new tires if it gets intolerable but I have to admit the vibration got better but not nonexistent.

So in my cause, Goodyear is my issue. He told me guaranteed my ride will improve if I get new tires.

This whole experience cost me nothing, it was all under warranty.
Originally Posted by fryrice
wow just searched this and i have similar issue.

when i am driving on the highway around 70mph i get a slight vibration. i would say after 25min of highway driving my hands feel a bit numb/tingling.

i also have a 12 TL awd advance pkg. and have the same goodyear rsa tires.
Yea I got new tires that fixed it.. F those goodyears
I mean, I have the advance with 19s, I think there is always some vibration, but lord Jesus did it get better with new tires.

It seems everyone with the 19" Advance wheels + goodyear rsa tires are having this problem... I am experiencing the same thing now!!

Car vibrates violently at 70+ MPH. First thought was that wheels were out of balance, so I went to a shop to get new weights. They told me the wheels were not far off from spec, but they put new weights on anyways. This did nothing to alleviate the vibration.

I bought the car with 14K miles and dealer put new RSA tires on. I only put 10K miles on these tires, and they have a lot of tread left, so I would've never suspected them to be the problem!
The following users liked this post:
SlyAccord (08-07-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had similar issue with my 19's and Eagle RSA. Brought it back to dealer 3 times they finally replaced the Goodyear with Michelin Primacy and the vibration went from being completely intrusive to non existent or barely noticeable. Wet and dry driving are much improved as the RSA are shit tires.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
My car is 2014 TL with Michelin tires (30k) and I am also feeling when driving on highways. I wonder if it is a tire or something else?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Mlody - I would do the usual balance and check for bent rims first before jumping into getting new tires. Unless your tires are going bald but I doubt it with only 30k...

Sometimes due to potholes and can throw the balance off or some bent in the rims can cause the issue.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
Mlody - I would do the usual balance and check for bent rims first before jumping into getting new tires. Unless your tires are going bald but I doubt it with only 30k...

Sometimes due to potholes and can throw the balance off or some bent in the rims can cause the issue.
I wish it was that easy. The tires were balanced twice (road force according to the dealer) and the car still vibrates past 75mph unfortunately.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I took my tires off. I think I have some pretty standard Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. The rear tires. Took them off, laid them on a flat surface and pushed them. They wobbled like crazy. Absolutly terrible. At first I thought they weren't balanced properly. I got them balanced and the same thing. Then I looked at them again and lo and behold, they're patchy. The wear pattern is totally wonky. The last tire here:

Well, I just bought new struts and spring assembly and Installing it. Soon after gonna get new tires.

When I rotated my tires, all hell broke loose and there was a sickening grinding/wining noise coming from the front (the previously rear tires). Crazy stuff man. It drove me and my mechanic crazy for almost a month and a half before we figured out it was something else.

At first I thought it was my front bearings, which we replaced and it lowered the noise just a little. Then we tried balancing and aligning. Nothing. Then I suggested rotating tires back. And bam, noise gone. Just vibrations. So it's 100% the tires in my case. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by Blaze9; 01-21-2017 at 12:37 AM.