Slight Grind in 6MT 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Slight Grind in 6MT 2nd and 3rd

Hey all you 4G 6MT'ers, Have you noticed that shifting into 2nd and 3rd there is a slight grind feeling? I don't ever force it into gear, I actually use very little force to move the stick around (per what I was taught), but it still seems like there is like some sort of grind feeling. Shifting into 4,5,6 etc, all seem fine. I've made sure the clutch is fully depressed but there is still that feeling. My buddy noticed it as well when he drove it, and he's been driving MT's for a very long time.

I read on the 3G forums that others seemed to have the same problem on the 3G 6MT, and the issue was fixed when they change the MT fluid to GM Synchromesh fluid... Does anyone else notice this? Think a fluid change might help?

Anyone know the steps on how to change the transmission fluid?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope...

Almost 500 miles on mine, nothing like that to speak of. Everything seems smooth to me...

How many miles do you have?

Have you EVER mis-shifted and ground from 2nd to 3rd?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tach32000
Almost 500 miles on mine, nothing like that to speak of. Everything seems smooth to me...

How many miles do you have?

Have you EVER mis-shifted and ground from 2nd to 3rd?
No, I haven't yet mis-shifted, clutch is always fully in the gear shifter moves, I haven't heard that dreaded griding teeth sounds yet... this is more of a very soft mechanical feel.

I only have like 80 miles so far... and I shouldn't have said grind...it's not really a grind, it's probably just the synchronizers working with upshifting... During my drive to the dealer today (needed my inspection sticker), I noticed that shifting at higher gears is much smoother to put the shifter into gear than 2 and 3. Maybe it's just because i'm a MT noob... but I just wanted to check with the 6MT crowd.

I'm probably just hyper critical about the car right now, and still trying to get the timing down of driving 6MT. This is probably how it should feel when driving the 6MT, my friend didn't mention anything when he drove it, so it's probably just me.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2003 CLS-6 had this issue too .. didn't happen often, but happened.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced

I just got back into a MT after a long while without. I usually short shift under normal conditions and everything is as it was with all previous manuals.

1st, sometimes is a little stiff to get into, but it depends on the speed (rolling up to a light) your going, again I think this is normal.

There is a sweet spot with every MT car for shifting that makes shifts smooth for each gear. If your shifting too early, or too late (so to speak) you won't be as smooth in your shifts.

Just takes some time to get use to.

As far as being sensitive, same here. I popped the hood while it was idling and was like damn, the valves are noisy .

I had a 3g and it was very similar sound, but in the car you can't hear it and it is normal. If you even go to Acura's website and click listen to the engine rev, the idle sound is EXACTLY what mine sounds like...

Enjoy, I'm about to take a 3500 mile round trip in my car, I can't wait.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
In the cold, the fluid sometimes needs to warm up. I know the Cl had this problem, then we changed to a different tranny fluid from GM, or the reformulated Honda fluid and it is barely noticeable when cold, but goes away after a minute or two of shifting.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys, I'll have to pay some more attention to it over time and see if it's just when cold, if it goes away, etc...etc...

Tach, that's a good description of what I experience also, it's like a mechanical stiffness, only slight... I thought I saw a SouthernBoy post somewhere that said if you shift into 2nd (even part way) and then into 1st, it's smoother and there is less wear on your syncro's... Anyone else with MT knowledge know if I'm remembering that quote correctly? I'd rather get confirmation that won't screw the car before trying it myself.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
9th Gear

No grinding here at all, smooth as butta.

I always "row" through the gears once when I first start the car, been doing that for 20 years. It works because it moves the fluid around. If it's cold do it a few times and let the car engine and tranny warm up a little.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I noticed this as well, not a gear grind, but as mentioned more like the synchros "trying to work itself into a smooth mesh." Occasionally happens from 1-2 and 4-5 also, but I do notice that it tends to happen during the morning only. After the car warms up and I've done a few shifts, it's gone.

I'll try Blk6sp "rowing through the gears" when first starting the car.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by docboy
I noticed this as well, not a gear grind, but as mentioned more like the synchros "trying to work itself into a smooth mesh." Occasionally happens from 1-2 and 4-5 also, but I do notice that it tends to happen during the morning only. After the car warms up and I've done a few shifts, it's gone.

I'll try Blk6sp "rowing through the gears" when first starting the car.
Thanks, I like that idea too... sounds like a good way to get the fluid moving, which is probably helpful too when it starts getting colder here in NE.

I'll keep you posted on if that helps.

Anyone know about the shift to 2nd then 1st when fully stopped before take off. I saw it on a SouthernBoy post, i'm still searching for it and can't seem to find it... But it was something about saving wear on the syncros and making a smoother shift.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM

The 1-2 shift is the hardest to get smooth, IMHO; something about the greatest power transfer occurs at gears 1 and 2. My wife complains about the "rough" shift sometimes, and 1-2 is usually the culprit; I have to get the rpms just right, not too high and not too low. It's getting smoother every day. It will take me a while get fully affluent to driving a daily manual again.

There is a good website on driving a manual and the mechanics of driving a manual transmission; I'll try to post the url later this week if I can find it.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Advanced

I'm right there with you DocBoy...I'm much better than when I picked it up 10 days ago, I needed to give it more RPM's than I normally would..but car is super smooth IMO..

After my drive to FL I should have it perfect
Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
9th Gear

I've been driving manuals for just about 20 years now and the feel of this manual is one of the best I've experience. I my last manual was an E46 M3 and I changed out the shifter to a short shifter, stock throws were much too long. Even with the short shifter, which made a tremedous difference, the manual in the TL is VERY good. It's not notchy and it's not rubbery, it's perfect in my opinion. The clutch is a hydraulic and takes a little getting used to because the travel isn't long (which is a good thing) like some others or too short.

Needless to say I am very happy with this since I did buy it on the spot after test driving it. Now, if it only had about 50 more horses! lol

For you guys that live in cold climates and this is your first manual, you should let the car warm up for at lest until it reaches idle speed. You definitly want to "row" through the gears to get the syncros lubricated. I grew up on the east coast and works very well. You might still find that it's a bit notchy at first but that should last long once it gets to temp.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tach32000
I'm right there with you DocBoy...I'm much better than when I picked it up 10 days ago, I needed to give it more RPM's than I normally would..but car is super smooth IMO..

After my drive to FL I should have it perfect
Holy cow, NY to FL I assume? It'll be a fun trip I'm sure. The TL 6MT is awesome to drive.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sounds like another case for:

GMSMTF-FM

Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by princelybug
GMSMTF-FM

That seemed to be a popular fix in the 3G forums... How hard is it to change out the transmission fluid for a total mechanical dummy like myself? I'm willing to try a superior transmission fluid (if that's what this is).
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Man of God.....

Cool

Or just use the original. AMSOIL. It's the BEST!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM
9th Gear

Had Redline DT4 in my M3 tranny and it made a slight difference. Royal Purple and Amsoil are also synthetic and very good.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

My two cents...

Originally Posted by petec2010
Hey all you 4G 6MT'ers, Have you noticed that shifting into 2nd and 3rd there is a slight grind feeling? I don't ever force it into gear, I actually use very little force to move the stick around (per what I was taught), but it still seems like there is like some sort of grind feeling. Shifting into 4,5,6 etc, all seem fine. I've made sure the clutch is fully depressed but there is still that feeling. My buddy noticed it as well when he drove it, and he's been driving MT's for a very long time.

I read on the 3G forums that others seemed to have the same problem on the 3G 6MT, and the issue was fixed when they change the MT fluid to GM Synchromesh fluid... Does anyone else notice this? Think a fluid change might help?

Anyone know the steps on how to change the transmission fluid?

Couple of house cleaning items before I ask my question:

My 2010 manual TL is still on order. Aaaaarrrgh
I have driven sticks for thirty five years. Currently, '07 TL Type-S.
I am NOT suggesting a lack of experience.

Here is my question:
When you feel the unsmooth in first to second, what tach and road speed are you at? Sometimes, lower speeds make the shifting be a bit "strained." Higher tach shifts, when the engine and tranny are good and warm, smooth things.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

I just picked up my 2011 TL MT. With 3K on the odo, I cannot get a smooth 1-2 shift when hitting it hard (shifting at redline). Like many of the folks here, I've been rowing gears for 30 years and haven't run into this before. This thread points to this as an 'issue' but I don't read any real solutions other then the liquid fix the 3Gs used. Anyone else run into this lately?

Thx
Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced

It took maybe 600 miles before my 2010 6MT loosened up a bit and allowed snappy upshifts/downshifts. I have maybe 750 miles on the car now and I believe it to be superior to the transmissions on my retired BMWs, Audis and Hondas.

The car may be ugly but the transmission, once broken in, is slick.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I have the same issue, took it to the dealer, and they said they could not reproduce the issue.

It happens more if you shift quickly from 1st to 3rd
but going from 2nd to 3rd happens also, it doesn't quite engage all the way, you have to push-hold the gear forward for a while until it engages into 3rd. all other gears are butter smooth.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Just an update - seems like this something that since it's warmed up, I haven't had a problem. It could be either because of the warm weather (maybe cold weather exacerbates the problem), or now that I'm around 7k miles and things have broken in a bit more.

I'll have to wait for the winter to see, but if I can recreate it again when it's cold i'll probably take it in. Nice thing is that we've got a 75k mile powertrain warranty, so I'm not too worried about anything major.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

I have a new 2010 TL SH-awd (2500 miles) with the 6MT. My own experience is that the 1st to 2nd shift requires a deliberate pull to the driver's side. I think the detent springs are pushing the lever into neutral at that crossover point and it gives a notchy, grabby feel to the shift. I intend to have the dealer examine the linkage at the first maintenance interval.
It may be my imagination but I think the linkage may be loosening up a little as I use it.
I used to have a similar problem in my 07 Type S if I made too casual a shift from 5th to 6th. The spring would tend to center the shifter and I would unintentionally shift into 4th. It's something that you have to learn with a 6 speed, pay attention to 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th.