Is running A/C all the time bad in any way?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Registered. Nothing more.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Is running A/C all the time bad in any way?

I never turn the A/C off, its always set to AUTO, and I was wondering if any problem would come up from never turning it off?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Not a problem. Most people with automatic thermostats just set them and forget them. There are protective sensors and fuses should there be a problem. No need to worry about this part of the car.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
setting the a/c to auto is the preferred way!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Whovain
I never turn the A/C off, its always set to AUTO, and I was wondering if any problem would come up from never turning it off?
When set to AUTO, the HVAC system engages the A/C as necessary; it is also smart enough to shut it off when the OAT gets down to a certain point (I don't know what Honda's threshold is, but some manufacturers use 27°F as the point where the compressor will no longer be engaged).
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
If you ask my finacee's dad, his answer will be, "ALWAYS TURN OFF THE A/C A FEW MINUTES BEFORE TURNING OFF THE CAR"

Where's the logic to that? who knows..
Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I'm kind of weird but I manually turn off my AC when I don't need it. It bugs me to have it cycling on and off when I'm stopped and it places an extra burden on the engine and cooling system. Granted, if it's not warm outside, the compressor isn't going to stay on long. But it still bugs me.

If I'm on the freeway or something like that I might not mess around with it since it's not noticeable when cruising and the cooling system isn't working nearly as hard at highway speeds due to more air flow. But around town I shut it off.

In the winter, I'll turn it on if I need the defroster. When you hit the defrost button it comes on automatically anyway to help reduce humidity. Or I'll turn it on at least once a month to prevent it stagnating too long which I've heard can cause problems. But otherwise, I leave it off if I don't need it.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by thoiboi
If you ask my finacee's dad, his answer will be, "ALWAYS TURN OFF THE A/C A FEW MINUTES BEFORE TURNING OFF THE CAR"

There is logic to that.
  • By shutting the car down with the A/C still engaged the coils are typically COLD; if you live in a humid environment water will condense on the coils, and with no airflow mildew can grow and make for that kind of nasty A/C smell many folks complain of.
  • By turning the A/C off while there is still airflow through the evap coils, you allow them to come up to the ambient temperature; this in turn keeps them dry.
The following 3 users liked this post by horseshoez:
Mickman (08-09-2017), NBP04TL4ME (08-09-2017), sockpuppet (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by losiglow
I'm kind of weird but I manually turn off my AC when I don't need it. It bugs me to have it cycling on and off when I'm stopped and it places an extra burden on the engine and cooling system. Granted, if it's not warm outside, the compressor isn't going to stay on long. But it still bugs me.

If I'm on the freeway or something like that I might not mess around with it since it's not noticeable when cruising and the cooling system isn't working nearly as hard at highway speeds due to more air flow. But around town I shut it off.

In the winter, I'll turn it on if I need the defroster. When you hit the defrost button it comes on automatically anyway to help reduce humidity. Or I'll turn it on at least once a month to prevent it stagnating too long which I've heard can cause problems. But otherwise, I leave it off if I don't need it.
Sounds like we're singing from the same page of the songbook; that's exactly how I operate the Automatic HVAC in all of our cars.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thoiboi

LoL. My parents tell me that too. If it's true, it was likely the case 30 years ago when cars used R12 and carburetors. Back when a V8 had 220hp and expelled more unburned fuel than it consumed. Back when it was also recommended to warm the car up for a few minutes before driving.

My parents also never turn their computer off because 15 years ago it was best to leave it on to prevent temperature cycling to the circuitry. Oh, and they make sure to run the water for a minute or two because back in the day, copper piping might corrode and leave deposits in the water. Nevermind that their house is all pex piping. I can't convince them otherwise.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
There is logic to that.
  • By shutting the car down with the A/C still engaged the coils are typically COLD; if you live in a humid environment water will condense on the coils, and with no airflow mildew can grow and make for that kind of nasty A/C smell many folks complain of.
  • By turning the A/C off while there is still airflow through the evap coils, you allow them to come up to the ambient temperature; this in turn keeps them dry.
I'm okay with this logic then

Southern California is far from humid though
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Drifting

There is logic to that.
Hmmm. Never thought about that. I was under the impression that it was done to somehow prevent damage to the system. I'm in Utah so humidity isn't much of an issue but I might do that anyway since there's always that musty smell when the air is turned on after the car was turned off for a while and the AC was previously on.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
There is logic to that.

Sounds like we're singing from the same page of the songbook; that's exactly how I operate the Automatic HVAC in all of our cars.
I do the same and have been for years, so looks like their might be the beginning of a barber shop quartet. Just can't get the Mrs. to do the same.

Search this Thread