Is this noise normal? Rear end, low pitch groan 35-45mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this noise normal? Rear end, low pitch groan 35-45mph

I finally made the upgrade from an 02 TL to an 09 TL with Tech package. My car has 55k miles on it and I love it! I do have a question for those with some experience with this car.

The vehicle is pretty quiet overall, but there's a low pitch groan or dull roar (best way I can describe it) between 35-45mph coming from the rear of the car. I don't really hear it at slower or faster speeds. I also can tell that it's not transmission related. I hear it when I'm accelerating and when I'm just coasting.

I thought it was the poor tires the previous owner put on my car, but I replaced those today.

Is this normal? It's not terribly annoying, it just seemed odd that I only hear it between 35-45mph. Just want to make sure it isn't something that needs to be explored further.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
propeller shaft?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VQPower37
propeller shaft?
I should have mentioned that I have the FWD. Not sure if it matters, but wanted to include that detail. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Try jacking up the rear, one side at a time and spin the wheel to see if you can hear anything funny. It could be the bearing. Or perhaps you are dealing with a stuck caliper (any of the rear wheels feel just too hot? or don't spin freely?). But speed-sensitive noise is usually the bearing. On our cars its built into the hub and takes a lot of lb/ft pressure to remove it. So, unless you have the professional press you can't take it out yourself.

Last edited by Tonyware; 10-31-2013 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
seans5 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Try jacking up the rear, one side at a time and spin the wheel to see if you can hear anything funny. It could be the bearing. Or perhaps you are dealing with a stuck caliper (any of the rear wheels feel just too hot? or don't spin freely?). But speed-sensitive noise is usually the bearing. On our cars its built into the hub and takes a lot of lb/ft pressure to remove it. So, unless you have the professional press you can't take it out yourself.
Thank you! This was great advice. I wasn't able to do this myself, but I did take the car to the dealer and mentioned the possibility of a bearing problem in the rear right wheel. At first, they said that my situation really didn't sound like a bearing issue because the noise of the bearing did not get louder at higher speeds.

But, they did go back and investigate further with a stethoscope. They reported back that they could hear a minor, slight noise in this specific bearing. Long story short, they ordered the bearing and replaced it today. Problem completely solved! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction on this.

Best part? While I'm outside of the bumper to bumper warranty (I have 55k miles), I was still covered by the power train warranty. No cost.

Thanks again!