New Acura Owner That doesnt know what he's doing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Acura Owner That doesnt know what he's doing.

Hey guys, Im 20 years old and I bought a 2010 Acura Tl SHAWD with 65k miles on her (clean record) and dont have the slightest insight on how to maintain it and keep it in tip top shape. Besides changing the oil with Mobile1 5w-20 i dont know whatelse to keep on eye on.

I recently had to change my brakes and went to a local autoshop who charged me 1/4 what the dealership wanted to hit me with. Are dealerships worth the extra cash?

Im currently in Buffalo, NY dealing with subzero temperatures and ive been dealing with my start up being really loud at the punch but goes away immediately. Is this due to the temp. maybe?

Also when im on the highway doing 50mph or above my steering wheel starts to shake and im 90% sure it has to do with the two wheels up front. I asked around and was told its probably some snow build up thats messing with my balancing? IDK...and this sucks. Cause i adore my car. And I'll do anything to keep her in pristine condition.

Any advice or headsup will mean a lot. Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I've never heard of snow build-up affecting balancing. Snow is not going to be on the wheel at 50 mph. There might be some packed in the wheel well, but that shouldn't affect anything, really. Have you taken it in to a reputable tire shop to check balance and alignment; both can be thrown out of whack without there being a collision or poor maintenance.

Your MID will let you know when you need some type of service; you're owners manual will tell you what the codes mean (just got my B16 done). I personally stopped going to the dealer as soon as I was out of warranty; I don't see any value in the premium paid. But to each, his own.

Otherwise, you're in the right place. There's an awful lot of good information flying around these forums, and a bunch of money has been saved. Do yourself a favour and search for the thread with the service manual...it will help you out a lot over time.

You should expect that you'll get asked for pictures, and what mods you intend. This place is a good spot to get ideas for mods, if that's what you're into.
The following 2 users liked this post by sockpuppet:
DesertAcura (02-04-2015), justnspace (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
newer cars have catalytic converters coming right off the heads.
this is the case with the TL and it allows the cats to warm up faster by throwing a little extra fuel at start up.
on a cold start up(cold meaning; the car sat for at least 6 hours) the car will sound a little extra angry until it warms up and the idle speed goes back down to 700-800 RPM.

and they dont call them "stealerships" for fun. Dealerships LOVE to steal your money.
you did great by going to an indie shop to get your brakes changed.

head here to see all maintenance minder codes:
http://owners.acura.com/

Last edited by justnspace; 02-04-2015 at 02:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
DesertAcura (02-04-2015), sockpuppet (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Check out the photo section if you want ideas. You have some aggressive ass 4G's (which I'm thinking your not going for that) then you have some simple and tasteful 4G's. Also, don't go to sears. Is there anywhere else in your area that you can go to? Someone who gives a rats ass about customers cars.

Oh and it's tint not tints. LOL
The following users liked this post:
DesertAcura (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
newer cars have catalytic converters coming right off the heads.
this is the case with the TL and it allows the cats to warm up faster by throwing a little extra fuel at start up.
on a cold start up(cold meaning; the car sat for at least 6 hours) the car will sound a little extra angry until it warms up and the idle speed goes back down to 700-800 RPM.

and they dont call them "stealerships" for fun. Dealerships LOVE to steal your money.
you did great by going to an indie shop to get your brakes changed.

head here to see all maintenance minder codes:
Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits
Thanks for your post justnspace! After a nice warm up, the TL appears to be on 1000 RPM...i hope that isnt an issue. And I remember slightly hearing a difference in the sound of the start up (again thinking it was probably because of the weather) and casually grew louder to the point it became a concern of mine. Im planning on visiting an autoshop of mine this Saturday, any ideas on what i should mention or recommendation on what to look for?

And Stealerships are no fun. Especially since i probably appear as just a kid to them. Would be nice to be taken care of professionally, no matter who steps in to do business with you.

Last edited by DesertAcura; 02-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Congrats and welcome. I've never heard of snow build-up affecting balancing. Snow is not going to be on the wheel at 50 mph. There might be some packed in the wheel well, but that shouldn't affect anything, really. Have you taken it in to a reputable tire shop to check balance and alignment; both can be thrown out of whack without there being a collision or poor maintenance.

Your MID will let you know when you need some type of service; you're owners manual will tell you what the codes mean (just got my B16 done). I personally stopped going to the dealer as soon as I was out of warranty; I don't see any value in the premium paid. But to each, his own.

Otherwise, you're in the right place. There's an awful lot of good information flying around these forums, and a bunch of money has been saved. Do yourself a favour and search for the thread with the service manual...it will help you out a lot over time.

You should expect that you'll get asked for pictures, and what mods you intend. This place is a good spot to get ideas for mods, if that's what you're into.
Thanks sockpuppet! I notice so much snow build up and around the wheel well every morning its ridiculous. I tried convincing myself that it was probably the build up cause when the suns out and the roads are clear there is nothing felt what so ever.

But I took your advice and headed back to Sears where i originally did my alignment a couple days ago and the mechanic there brushed me off with a "give it a couple highway drives and it should be okay." Please tell me that isnt how it works. When i caught the manager there she insisted on telling me that my alignment (which cost me $108) did not cover my balancing and that was the solution to my problem. Even though she was rude, I kindly told her id be back. I seriously dont want bad business with them in case they need to work on my TL in the future.

Im trying to really get involved with this forum. It appears to be just want i needed. And id like to thank those who made this forum possible.

I've done so much mods researching its frustrating. I am running on a budget and im also in school which takes the majority of my time. But i got plans nonetheless. What i was thinking for the short term was maybe some tint (50% visibility) and i just put on mudflaps a couple days ago which look decent i guess. Hopefully by this Saturday i could place my order in and get the full body kit which took forever to save up for Lol. Any ideas on which direction i should take? Any other mods in mind?

Last edited by DesertAcura; 02-04-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Check out the photo section if you want ideas. You have some aggressive ass 4G's (which I'm thinking your not going for that) then you have some simple and tasteful 4G's. Also, don't go to sears. Is there anywhere else in your area that you can go to? Someone who gives a rats ass about customers cars.

Oh and it's tint not tints. LOL
I've seen some pretty bad ass TL's on here. I've checked out Matt's TL on here and absolutley fell in love with what he did to his TL. Im not really looking for an aggressive look but a classy clean approach. Something i can pull up to law school with, without looking like an idiot. Lol.

Sears was always recommended by nearly all my friends but then again they all own 95 corallas (no offense to any corolla owners out there)...

I've got a custom shop down the street from me that i'll give a try.

LOL sorry man, Im learning so much already

Last edited by DesertAcura; 02-04-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DesertAcura
I've seen some pretty bad ass TL's on here. I've checked out Matt's TL on here and absolutley fell in love with what he did to his TL. Im not really looking for an aggressive look but a classy clean approach. Something i can pull up to law school with, without looking like an idiot. Lol.

Sears was always recommended by nearly all my friends but then again they all own 95 corallas (no offense to any corolla owners out there)...

I've got a custom shop down the street from me that i'll give a try.

LOL sorry man, Im learning so much already
No worries, just giving you a hard time. Just remember to search, which it seems like you have already been doing. Simple and clean is the way IMO. Granted some of the aggresive 4G's are clean.
DesertAcura (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

No worries, just giving you a hard time. Just remember to search, which it seems like you have already been doing. Simple and clean is the way IMO. Granted some of the aggresive 4G's are clean.
Do you think if i add the kit it would look a little out of place without it being dropped or without any wheel upgrades?
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

People have done it without a drop or wheels. It's pretty much up to you.

I would get a drop before anything, but that's me.
DesertAcura (02-04-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i am unfamiliar with how a 4G SHAWD auto should idle at, as I have a 3G FWD six speed manual.

at start up; it should sound a little more pronounced but will quiet down. normal behavior. let's see if another 4G'er chimes in about the idle speed
DesertAcura (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Do you think if i add the kit it would look a little out of place without it being dropped or without any wheel upgrades?
Doesn't look bad (to me). I have the kit, no drop, no upgraded rims.
DesertAcura (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Cruisin'

People have done it without a drop or wheels. It's pretty much up to you.

I would get a drop before anything, but that's me.
Im not too excited about a drop. Id like to think i want function over form if anything. But A nice blend is what im aiming for.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by liquidneon
Doesn't look bad (to me). I have the kit, no drop, no upgraded rims.
Dosent look bad at all acutally. I fall in love with the pearl white TL's each time i get to see one. I really like the aggressive look the kit adds to the trunk too. Are you tinted?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Im not too excited about a drop. Id like to think i want function over form if anything. But A nice blend is what im aiming for.
Nothing crazy. Mild drop is fine, plus I don't want to hear that BS about roads.
DesertAcura (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Racer

Dosent look bad at all acutally. I fall in love with the pearl white TL's each time i get to see one. I really like the aggressive look the kit adds to the trunk too. Are you tinted?
yeah 18% all around. The contrast with the white makes it look beautiful. OEM kit + dark tint + blacked out headlights and tail lights + white LED license plate lights. That's it for exterior mods. the 2010 Tech rims were always my fav 4G rims, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade. and I'm too rookie to attempt to lower it for the satisfaction I would get out of it.

only interior mods I have are some LED puddle/under door lights, and the blue foot well lights. zero performance mods (also too rookie for that).
DesertAcura (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Racer

Also when im on the highway doing 50mph or above my steering wheel starts to shake and im 90% sure it has to do with the two wheels up front. I asked around and was told its probably some snow build up thats messing with my balancing? IDK...and this sucks. Cause i adore my car. And I'll do anything to keep her in pristine condition.

Any advice or headsup will mean a lot. Thanks guys.
I'd think this would be alignment.
Just noticed you're in Buffalo... not too far. Let me know if you're out this way. I may be in Buffalo next weekend.
DesertAcura (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Nothing crazy. Mild drop is fine, plus I don't want to hear that BS about roads.
Buffalo Roads are pretty bad though. And i would think springs would take away from the quality of the drive, no? I've looked into the Tein Advance Coilovers but they're just to much $ to have installed.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

yeah 18% all around. The contrast with the white makes it look beautiful. OEM kit + dark tint + blacked out headlights and tail lights + white LED license plate lights. That's it for exterior mods. the 2010 Tech rims were always my fav 4G rims, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade. and I'm too rookie to attempt to lower it for the satisfaction I would get out of it.

only interior mods I have are some LED puddle/under door lights, and the blue foot well lights. zero performance mods (also too rookie for that).
I think it came out great. Have you thought about any HIDs up front?
And i have the same rims! I dont mind them at all.

Im planning on purchasing the Takeda Intake as soon as the kit arrives. And probably Magna Muffler/tips in the near future.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

I'd think this would be alignment.
Just noticed you're in Buffalo... not too far. Let me know if you're out this way. I may be in Buffalo next weekend.
I sure will! Hopefully you did okay with all the snow we got.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Cruisin'

Some quick shots

Trunk blacked out 4 days ago. It turned out Perfect.