My in-warranty TL is burning oil....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 01:32 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My in-warranty TL is burning oil....

Guys, I need some help dealing with Acura HQ/dealership on this one. first i am going to apologize in advance how long my post is lol

I bought a 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD in March of 2014. it had approx 45000 miles on it. It was a certified used car so it carries a warranty 130000KM on it(or approx 80000 miles.

Last year I checked the oil in between changes and noticed it was very low on oil. I ended up adding 2 quarts to it and that barely brought it into the safe zone on the dip stick so I added about another half a litre.
I'll admit I am not mechanically inclined but I am not an idiot who doesn't change their oil and do scheduled maintenance on time. I brushed it off and didnt think too much of it. I had the oil changed not too long after that.

This time I decided to monitor it more closely. I tried to check it every 500 miles or so and found myself having to add oil in it everytime. I ended up using about 4-5 quarts before it was due for another oil change.

I took it into the dealership for that oil change and mentioned the issuing I was having. They ended up replacing the valve cover seals I believe(I have to check my receipt for this, I might be wrong but it was something like that). and they said it should be fine now. Well, long story short it wasnt. It was still burning oil like crazy. I ended up putting cardboard down underneath the car for weeks and not a single drop on it. I was even gone for a week so the car sat there awhile and nothing.

Fast forward to more recent times, last month I ended up meeting with the service manager at the dealership to talk about my issue. He wasn't very helpful to say the least and kept saying they cannot replace the engine( I was not even asking for them to replace the engine but I guess that is the only thing left?) unless Honda approves it and how maybe I drive the car too aggressively or something, which I definitely do not and how he manages the Hyundai dealership which is owned by the same company and there is a Sonata or something that is a 2011 that has over 300k KM on it and it hasnt had a problem. How that is any relevance to a Japanese car burning oil I dont know. He did of course give me the option that they would do the an oil consumption test on my next oil change which I am getting done this Thursday.

Needless to say I am quite pissed about this so I decided to write a letter to Honda customer relations department explaining my issue. I got a call on Friday from someone there. I have no idea what these people are capable of doing if anything? anyone know?

So I need some advice here on what to possibly do....
my plan so far is to call that guy from honda back on Monday and see what he can do for me, and then take my car into the dealership this week and get that oil change and the consumption test started.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boxcutters
Guys, I need some help dealing with Acura HQ/dealership on this one. first i am going to apologize in advance how long my post is lol

I bought a 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD in March of 2014. it had approx 45000 miles on it. It was a certified used car so it carries a warranty 130000KM on it(or approx 80000 miles.

Last year I checked the oil in between changes and noticed it was very low on oil. I ended up adding 2 quarts to it and that barely brought it into the safe zone on the dip stick so I added about another half a litre.
I'll admit I am not mechanically inclined but I am not an idiot who doesn't change their oil and do scheduled maintenance on time. I brushed it off and didnt think too much of it. I had the oil changed not too long after that.

This time I decided to monitor it more closely. I tried to check it every 500 miles or so and found myself having to add oil in it everytime. I ended up using about 4-5 quarts before it was due for another oil change.

I took it into the dealership for that oil change and mentioned the issuing I was having. They ended up replacing the valve cover seals I believe(I have to check my receipt for this, I might be wrong but it was something like that). and they said it should be fine now. Well, long story short it wasnt. It was still burning oil like crazy. I ended up putting cardboard down underneath the car for weeks and not a single drop on it. I was even gone for a week so the car sat there awhile and nothing.

Fast forward to more recent times, last month I ended up meeting with the service manager at the dealership to talk about my issue. He wasn't very helpful to say the least and kept saying they cannot replace the engine( I was not even asking for them to replace the engine but I guess that is the only thing left?) unless Honda approves it and how maybe I drive the car too aggressively or something, which I definitely do not and how he manages the Hyundai dealership which is owned by the same company and there is a Sonata or something that is a 2011 that has over 300k KM on it and it hasnt had a problem. How that is any relevance to a Japanese car burning oil I dont know. He did of course give me the option that they would do the an oil consumption test on my next oil change which I am getting done this Thursday.

Needless to say I am quite pissed about this so I decided to write a letter to Honda customer relations department explaining my issue. I got a call on Friday from someone there. I have no idea what these people are capable of doing if anything? anyone know?

So I need some advice here on what to possibly do....
my plan so far is to call that guy from honda back on Monday and see what he can do for me, and then take my car into the dealership this week and get that oil change and the consumption test started.

I had a similar issue with the 2010 SH-AWD I purchased this past January. I purchased it certified with 51K and noticed that it was burning oil at the 55K mark. The dealership I purchased the car from initiated a oil consumption test. Based on the results they had to replace the short block (basically the entire engine). I would request an oil consumption test from your dealership. Call Acura Customer care and have them open a ticket. Use the case number to request a oil consumption test from the dealership. I hope this helps. Good Luck
Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Acura will give you a bullshit response saying they won't replace the engine unless it burns at least 1 quart per 1000 miles. Well, 1 quart brings you down to the minimum fill line. So they expect you to drive around, damaging your engine to prove to them that it's messed.

Some will think its dishonest, but if your car is burning under 1 quart/1000, i would drain a bit of oil before bringing it in. There is zero way for them to tell if you drained some. Furthermore, the dealership likely wouldn't give a shit either. I think it's more dishonest of Acura to setup a bullshit requirement of 1 quart/1000 than admit there is an issue with their engines. That is A LOT of oil to be burning.

Fuck Acura and their bullshit stipulations. As a consumer of a CPO vehicle, I believe you deserve to be treated better than that.
The following users liked this post:
csmeance (07-16-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 06:05 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
OP my TL does the same thing, burns oil at ~1.1QT every 1,000 miles and then some. Search for my thread re: oil consumption and you'll see what I'm going through.

Long story short, I have opened a ticket w/Acura and they won't help. Acura client care is useless and a mere marketing facade IMHO. They side with the stealership, and both HQ and stealership refuse to help. Hence rendering the power train warranty useless and a mere facade as well. At this rate my warranty will run out in a few months and Acura will then have sufficient reason to deny warranty work (which I suspect they are aware of).

I too recently had to add 2QTs oil. The 3.7V6 engines appear to consume oil, and appears to be the reason why the newer Acura models have only the 3.5 V6.

My advice: keep complaining on the internet to make your voice known, file a complaint w/NHTSA, but there's not much you can do unless the dealership with help you. Try another dealership if possible; a few here on AZine have done so with success. Keep a few bottles of oil in the trunk and monitor the oil levels closely.

Bear in mind some engines from other makes also burn oil (ie. BMW 5 series, Audi's 2.0T), but many also do not. My experience with my current TL would suggest this would be my last Acura simply b/c Acura refuses to take care of its customers, especially if the car is still under "warranty."