Failing Trying to Replace Door Actuator - Cant get rod out from door handle

Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Failing Trying to Replace Door Actuator - Cant get rod out from door handle

Guys i am so ticked! I tried to save some money and do the door actuator myself and I'm pretty much regretting it. I have finally gotten this door all the way to where i need to remove the broken actuator and but the metal rod that connects to the inside of the door handle wont come out. There is a clip you need to flip up so that you can pull it out, but i feel like i am going to break the plastic inside pulling so hard. There is certainly not much room to do anything in there which is miserable but i cannot get this thing to come out. What in the world am i missing?

The rod is shaped like a number 7 so i am trying to pull it to the right but it is not breaking free. I put the thing back together and was trying to drive to a shop to have them do the rest of it but no one was available today. Please save my sanity...
Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If this is any help, there is a video by eric the car guy trying to do something similar on an older RL... see what tools he is using. Fun stars around the 5 min mark.

The following users liked this post:
ucf_bronco (01-12-2019)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I followed the service manual. There a copy of the different years floating around on this site. I did need a 4" diameter mirror to see the shaft connection.
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...ng-out-947804/
Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
If this is any help, there is a video by eric the car guy trying to do something similar on an older RL... see what tools he is using. Fun stars around the 5 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtsRsUtH8Vw
unfortunately ours is just a metal rod. I know because it is attached to the new actuator.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
BTW: Make sure the widow is UP before you disconnect the inner panel switches. You can't change the actuator with the window down.

Search this Thread