Driving Experience with AWD question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Driving Experience with AWD question

For you AWD owners....

This is an opinion/question as to how my 6 speed transmission operates. I've put 25,000 miles on my car since I purchased it in March 2015. I've noticed this since day one, and assumed the transmission needed to learn my driving habits. However, I want to know if my description below is normal for us AWD owners....or if I have a mechanical issue perhaps. I understand we're over text and driving helps...but its straight forward. Current mileage, 51,000.

1. First gear into 2nd gear. - accelerating under normal "follow the pace of traffic" conditions, the transmission DROPS into 2nd gear and takes a bit to move to 25-30mph. If I go WOT, it will move, but lags. I am considering that perhaps the design in the 6 speed was intended to be this way....its not as quick as my 2009 TL FWD was with the 5 speed. Thoughts ?

2. After reaching 40mph.... the tachometer fluctuates 200-300 rpms until it reaches a higher speed. This is more prevalent on the upgrade hill or consistent gas pedal pressure in traffic. Almost like the car shouldn't have shifted into 6th gear. Always happens on automatic...not S mode/paddle shifter. Thoughts, anyone?

3. Transmission oil filter was replaced yesterday. Would the clogged filter have restricted transmission in any way to cause the issue above?

4. Acura Technical Mechanics cannot duplicate the problem . . .But its obvious to me.

Are all of these descriptions normal as the car was designed?

Appreciate you AWD owners chiming in to confirm. Im not looking for a problem...it just seems odd to me. I know the car is heavy as well.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I notice the same thing you describe in #1. Going from 1st - 2nd at a low speed, conservative throttle, it will kinda dump itself into second like it shifted too early in a weird way. Hopefully its not a problem, i don't think so, but I could be wrong. I've just learned to live with it.

Edit: 2012 TL SH-AWD

Last edited by Mickman; 07-06-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added Vehicle
Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Turns out TSB 16-030 is a possible fix. If that does not work, after some continued driving, then TSB 16-040 may be the solution. I'll repost with the results to help others with similar issues. Won't have this relearn software update until the end of the month.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Classic Symptoms of a failing torque converter! Take a video of the RPM fluctuation with your phone to show the dealership.

Have you changed the transmission fluid at all? It should have been replaced around 30K miles.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickman
I notice the same thing you describe in #1. Going from 1st - 2nd at a low speed, conservative throttle, it will kinda dump itself into second like it shifted too early in a weird way. Hopefully its not a problem, i don't think so, but I could be wrong. I've just learned to live with it.

Edit: 2012 TL SH-AWD
Same exact thing with 2012 FWD 6AT. I have a steep incline on my neighborhood's road, so I have to punch it when leaving in the morning, otherwise it'll dump into second and nearly stall out. It's never stalled, but it does the most jarring jerk ever. I did have a transmission software update several months ago, but my invoice says nothing about what version it was before, and what version it is now. Someone posted a new thread saying that there's a new software update that released this month, so maybe I should bring it back in. The annoying part is the dealership wants to try and charge for the software update, claiming it's the same as if they update the navigation CD - not under warranty. Naturally I said F that.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Classic Symptoms of a failing torque converter! Take a video of the RPM fluctuation with your phone to show the dealership.

Have you changed the transmission fluid at all? It should have been replaced around 30K miles.
Manual transmission, no torque converter, it has a clutch instead...
Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance

Just changed it at 51k - just like my 09
MID never showed anything for the transmission service before, and thats what I go by since the car is ALL highway miles.

Its crazy. I'll let them play with the software update, but Its not my first car. I've known the TC is failing, and now the fact that a TSB is out on it, plus warranty extension . . . just replace the TC please :-)