Driver side seat rocks slightly

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side seat rocks slightly

My driver side seat rocks slightly along with a slight clicking noise when I do slightly jerky start or have to stop short (Such as in traffic). It only happens when the seat is back most of the way and elevated. If the seat is forward or low the issue doesn't occur.

I have taken it into the dealer 3 times and each time they claim they cannot replicate the issue but this last time the odometer hadn't moved from where it was when I took it in making me think they didn't actually drive it. I also asked them to have someone my size (6'3 250) sit in the seat since the previous technician and the service manager are both under 6 feet and the seat sits much differently for them than it does for me. I also gave them what I thought were clear instructions for replicating the issue and replicated it for them in the car but they didn't hear the click I heard nor did they see the seat move. Obviously even a slight seat wobble is noticeable to someone in it vs someone sitting next to them.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there anyone else about my size who sits with the seat elevated? I almost wonder if they assumed that anyone my size would sit with the seat low for headroom and didn't consider it in the position I sit in...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
have u checked the bolts to make sure everything is tightened down properly? a lose bolt could be causing ur issues
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
^^ had a similar issue on my 3G TL-S - took it in and they torqued down the bolts on the seat, didn't have an issue after that.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VQPower37
have u checked the bolts to make sure everything is tightened down properly? a lose bolt could be causing ur issues
I have to the best of my abilities but I am honestly not sure that I could really tell. The dealership also told me they tightened it as well.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
first issue is your weight ( but there is some reasoning behind that though, with the seats not being normally designed for "heavier" people; but in all reality you are probably are a little heavier set, but by no means look fat though, due to having a bit of height to you)
i am also 6' 3" or so, but only like 180 though, and i am on the skinny side for my height

but there is a possibility of the height mechanism bushings (or whatever it may be, idk exactly) holes being elongated, which when raised, lines them up right to allow the rocking, but when lowered it does not allow it

and as far as when it rocks, is it your normal seat height that you set it at?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
B A N N E D

as far as your best bet, is are you able to get the seat in the correct position to rock back and fourth, then are able to manually rock it with your feet pushing on the floor while seated?

if so, i would get the service writer (or tech if they will allow that) to go out with to the car, so you can duplicate the situation/issue for them in the parking lot
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by friesm2000
first issue is your weight ( but there is some reasoning behind that though, with the seats not being normally designed for "heavier" people; but in all reality you are probably are a little heavier set, but by no means look fat though, due to having a bit of height to you)
i am also 6' 3" or so, but only like 180 though, and i am on the skinny side for my height
I am relatively lean body-fat wise, I used to be a gym rat and still workout 3 times a week but I do know my mass is higher than average, though considering the average American maybe it is normal now? Honestly I would think that the seat should be ok with 250 lbs, if it isn't I would flag that as a flaw unless the salesman brings scale to the test drive!

but there is a possibility of the height mechanism bushings (or whatever it may be, idk exactly) holes being elongated, which when raised, lines them up right to allow the rocking, but when lowered it does not allow it

and as far as when it rocks, is it your normal seat height that you set it at?
Yes, when I am at my normal seat height it rocks. I hate sitting in a deep recline position, this is the whole reason I drove a Ford 500 for so long, it has very elevated seating compared to most sedans. I will try your other suggestion about trying to rock it with my legs, as stupid as it sounds I never tried that but instead spent my time trying to provide the dealer with test cases. Obviously my logic failed me here!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by darrena
I am relatively lean body-fat wise, I used to be a gym rat and still workout 3 times a week but I do know my mass is higher than average, though considering the average American maybe it is normal now? Honestly I would think that the seat should be ok with 250 lbs, if it isn't I would flag that as a flaw unless the salesman brings scale to the test drive!

Yes, when I am at my normal seat height it rocks. I hate sitting in a deep recline position, this is the whole reason I drove a Ford 500 for so long, it has very elevated seating compared to most sedans. I will try your other suggestion about trying to rock it with my legs, as stupid as it sounds I never tried that but instead spent my time trying to provide the dealer with test cases. Obviously my logic failed me here!
sounds like more muscle then anything....
and for the seat handling 250 lbs, it does, but given enough time/miles, something is going to wear out (quite a few pivots and such under there, with all the adjustments), especially with heavier people
as far as the sales person bringing a scale, all they care about is the sale, and then for honda that it lasted the warranty period

as far as those high seating positions, visibility is nice, but i also hate it sometimes when they do set you so high, cause it feels like you are driving a truck at times (my seat is at the lowest position btw, with the front adjusted as necessary to support the my legs some)

and yeah sometimes actually showing the issue to the people is the best way of getting them to be able to recognize the problem, compared to just a bunch of words on a piece of paper, it's like the saying "a picture is worth a 1000 words" or in this case directly showing them...

edit: never mind about lasting the warranty period, idk why i was thinking of a older vehicle with some mileage on it

Last edited by friesm2000; 03-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like the seat track itself im surprised they are even giving you a hard time...we warrenty that stuff all the time and it ususally is becuase its a heavier set person sitting in that seat..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced

I have the same problem with my 09 (movement, but no clicking?). I noticed it early on and had the dealer check, they couldn't replicate it. They did check that all the mounting bolts were tight. I subsequently discovered that if I stood next to the car with the drivers door open - right hand on the top of the seat back and the left hand on the front of the seat bottom - I could detect the movement as I tried to rock the seat back and forth. It would only occur with the seat further back - would go away if you moved the seat up/forward past about mid-way. I talked with the dealer about it again and they offered to replace the seat track mechanism - I decided to hold off since I had a real bad experience with this dealership working on the seats of my previous 09 TL. That was over a year ago and actually the movement has pretty much stopped. I notice it every once in a while, but it is so seldom that it is not an annoyance. I'm glad I didn't have them work on it!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
My driver side seat rocks slightly along with a slight clicking noise when I do slightly jerky start or have to stop short (Such as in traffic). It only happens when the seat is back most of the way and elevated. If the seat is forward or low the issue doesn't occur.

I have taken it into the dealer 3 times and each time they claim they cannot replicate the issue but this last time the odometer hadn't moved from where it was when I took it in making me think they didn't actually drive it. I also asked them to have someone my size (6'3 250) sit in the seat since the previous technician and the service manager are both under 6 feet and the seat sits much differently for them than it does for me. I also gave them what I thought were clear instructions for replicating the issue and replicated it for them in the car but they didn't hear the click I heard nor did they see the seat move. Obviously even a slight seat wobble is noticeable to someone in it vs someone sitting next to them.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there anyone else about my size who sits with the seat elevated? I almost wonder if they assumed that anyone my size would sit with the seat low for headroom and didn't consider it in the position I sit in...
Originally Posted by str8aero
I have the same problem with my 09 (movement, but no clicking?). I noticed it early on and had the dealer check, they couldn't replicate it. They did check that all the mounting bolts were tight. I subsequently discovered that if I stood next to the car with the drivers door open - right hand on the top of the seat back and the left hand on the front of the seat bottom - I could detect the movement as I tried to rock the seat back and forth. It would only occur with the seat further back - would go away if you moved the seat up/forward past about mid-way. I talked with the dealer about it again and they offered to replace the seat track mechanism - I decided to hold off since I had a real bad experience with this dealership working on the seats of my previous 09 TL. That was over a year ago and actually the movement has pretty much stopped. I notice it every once in a while, but it is so seldom that it is not an annoyance. I'm glad I didn't have them work on it!
Same thing here 5'10" 250lbs (all fat)! Divers seat in RDX and passenger seat on TL. Stealership "could not replicate" and I gave up because I got use to it. If it really bothers you ask for the new track. You should not have a seat that rocks in a car that cost more than $30K.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted about my issue with the exact same thing except mine clicked the whole time I drove. Mine was the passenger side though. It was shakey and didn't feel as solid as the drivers, and clicked the whole time I drove (with the seat empty). I read several with this problem, I posted the solution my dealer came up with, they repaired it and its great now. They were very helpful. I stopped trying to post anything about it though. Once I tried to help others and post a solution to mine and a fix, not one single person responded or seemed interested in it. I am just glad mine is fixed, guess the others can shake and vibrate to the end. Good luck with the seat.