driver door courtesy lights HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post driver door courtesy lights HELP!

2010 acura TL sh-awd 6-speed
So I'm trying to install some logo courtesy lights on the passenger and driver door, I have the passenger side hooked in but its very dim, I believe because i just have the wires pushed into the quick connect to the old courtesy light. Now on the driver side it doesn't work at all, even when I tried to reconnect the quick connect in the stock light and it was working when I took it out. so it think theres a problem with the whole wire or something. Anything ideas???!!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
So, it currently works with the stock lights? But it doesn't with the connectors and logo lights plugged in? Check the connections and also check the logo lights are not bad, a voltmeter will come in handy.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:22 AM
9th Gear

Maybe you blew the MICI fuse box, That's what I did....about $300.00 from the dealer...you have to be very careful with those!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by randyt15
Maybe you blew the MICI fuse box, That's what I did....about $300.00 from the dealer...you have to be very careful with those!!!

lol very careful is not even the word more like you have to be a neurosurgeon when changing/modifying your courtesy door lights. That is why i haven't even change my license plate lights yet.. $300 is not bad my dealer qouted me $896 for the part or labor I think.. i also created thread about the MICI part.. If anyone can send a link with a part number or solution lmk... to help the OP... What others have done is wiring the lights to work from the dome or other source where they can get power and just ground it to something. Good luck
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Instructor

It happened to me when trying to replace the courtesy lights to leds, I used a tiny flat head screwdriver to pry out the halogen bulbs on the driver side, this created a short and immediately the light stopped working, however the passenger side was woking fine.
After some research I found out the car has 3 fuse boxes, one under the hood and two under the dashboard on each side of the vehicle. The MICU on the driver side fuse panel had a short and only fix was to replace the whole box which I believe is around $200 plus you will get charged labor and additional parts like fuses or relays if they got damaged. After some testing I discovered positive terminal was good but it was getting NO GROUND, I routed a parallel ground from the door open/close sensor and this fixed the issue. My courtesy light now works and it only cost me some electrical tape, speaker wire and some time. It is not the cleanest install but you can not see it because the wire is routed under the door sills and through the door. If need any more info PM me.
The following users liked this post:
Diamond2289 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by LostProphet
It happened to me when trying to replace the courtesy lights to leds, I used a tiny flat head screwdriver to pry out the halogen bulbs on the driver side, this created a short and immediately the light stopped working, however the passenger side was woking fine.
After some research I found out the car has 3 fuse boxes, one under the hood and two under the dashboard on each side of the vehicle. The MICU on the driver side fuse panel had a short and only fix was to replace the whole box which I believe is around $200 plus you will get charged labor and additional parts like fuses or relays if they got damaged. After some testing I discovered positive terminal was good but it was getting NO GROUND, I routed a parallel ground from the door open/close sensor and this fixed the issue. My courtesy light now works and it only cost me some electrical tape, speaker wire and some time. It is not the cleanest install but you can not see it because the wire is routed under the door sills and through the door. If need any more info PM me.
Definetly will ...it's cold now so when the weather breaks I'll start the project plus I don't drive it anyway because of the takata recall..so maybe summer? But will, keep in touch thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The easiest way is to put the entire thing back together with the stock bulbs and just say you don't know what happened. Then again with your 2010, I doubt your car is still under warranty.

But when installing them, you want to take out the entire rectangular housing, unplug it, and then change out the bulb, then plug it back in
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 AM
7th Gear

Hello,

I had the same Scenario happen on my 209 tsx, except it happened before i installed the LED, it happened as i was wiggling the stock halogen to pull it out and now it wont come on at all only on the driver's door. Any way I can test if My ground is not working?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diamond2289
Hello,

I had the same Scenario happen on my 209 tsx, except it happened before i installed the LED, it happened as i was wiggling the stock halogen to pull it out and now it wont come on at all only on the driver's door. Any way I can test if My ground is not working?
Hey Manny, Elliot here, I live in Olney, MD. How about you?
My first suggestion is if your car in still under warranty to put the stock bulbs back and drive to the dealer for a warranty fix, just play it cool and tell them you don't know how it happened. Second option is to have a car electronic guy do it for you based on my post, usually places that install remote start and stereos can do this work and have all the necessary equipment/tools. Third, depending on how far you are maybe we can meet up one weekend and take a look at it, I don't have the tools a pro have and it might take longer, the hardest part is routing the wire through the door boot, I used a metal clothes hanger and it was a pain in the a$$.
Hope I can help you in any way.
Take it easy and let me know.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,748 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Hopefully you guys just blew a fuse and not for the MICU.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM
7th Gear

Hello Elliot,

Im in North Bergen NJ, not sure how far we are, But i think i know someone that installs remote starters. However it was a weird scenario in which my problem occurred, I turned the little switch and it fell behind the pannel and then i got it back with little tweezers once the socket was on place and i turned it it went off, meaning i didnt even removed the bulb at that point. is there a simple way of testing if the socket has power?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:43 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Hopefully you guys just blew a fuse and not for the MICU.
I dont think so, read below
Old 04-25-2016, 02:43 PM
7th Gear

Hey Manny, Elliot here, I live in Olney, MD. How about you?
My first suggestion is if your car in still under warranty to put the stock bulbs back and drive to the dealer for a warranty fix, just play it cool and tell them you don't know how it happened. Second option is to have a car electronic guy do it for you based on my post, usually places that install remote start and stereos can do this work and have all the necessary equipment/tools. Third, depending on how far you are maybe we can meet up one weekend and take a look at it, I don't have the tools a pro have and it might take longer, the hardest part is routing the wire through the door boot, I used a metal clothes hanger and it was a pain in the a$$.
Hope I can help you in any way.
Take it easy and let me know.

Hey Elliot, Read message i left below.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,748 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Use a multimeter to test power
Old 04-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diamond2289
Hello Elliot,

Im in North Bergen NJ, not sure how far we are, But i think i know someone that installs remote starters. However it was a weird scenario in which my problem occurred, I turned the little switch and it fell behind the pannel and then i got it back with little tweezers once the socket was on place and i turned it it went off, meaning i didnt even removed the bulb at that point. is there a simple way of testing if the socket has power?
The best way to test if the socket has power is with a multimeter. In my car the courtesy light has only 2 wires, one is constant power (white) and the other (blue) is the ground and also acts as a switch. When the door is open you should get 12v in the power and 0 on the ground, and a different reading when the door is closed which you can test pressing the button at the B pillar.
Have you checked my post? If not, I am attaching a link to it, hope it gives you insight to fix your problem. And btw I am going to Little Ferry in a couple months for a weekend.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...-fixed-944236/
The following users liked this post:
Diamond2289 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM
7th Gear

Cool That is literally 5 minutes from me!

The best way to test if the socket has power is with a multimeter. In my car the courtesy light has only 2 wires, one is constant power (white) and the other (blue) is the ground and also acts as a switch. When the door is open you should get 12v in the power and 0 on the ground, and a different reading when the door is closed which you can test pressing the button at the B pillar.
Have you checked my post? If not, I am attaching a link to it, hope it gives you insight to fix your problem. And btw I am going to Little Ferry in a couple months for a weekend.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...-fixed-944236/

Lmao, i've read everything on the forums about this stupid light. That is literally 5 mins from me!