DEALERSHIP, WARRANTY ISSUES - need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEALERSHIP, WARRANTY ISSUES - need advice...

Check Engine Oil Level light came on after a recent oil change. And yes, i've read all the check engine oil level threads here.

First thing my mechanic did was replace the sensor. Light still comes on. I bring the car to dealership. I told them I already replaced the sensor and they think they're smarter then me and tell me that i replaced it w/ a faulty sensor. Covered under warranty, I drive off, light still comes on. Bring the car back, they give me a loaner. Dude calls me back, and says there's an issue w/ the oil pump and i ask them if its covered under warranty. He says no, because you don't do regular maintenance and there's no records at the dealership, I have to pay for it. I say, I have all my records at home, and I can bring them to you no problem if you want. He hesitates, then says he has to call me back. I check my warranty, oil pump is the second thing listed under the engine section. Now I'm thinking there's no way i'm paying for this. Its been almost a week. The loaner they gave me literally has 5% oil life left. He calls me back today. Tells me its going to take 1-2 weeks for them to get the oil pump. I ask them if its covered under warranty, gives me a slow, begrudging yes, then he says I can come pick up my car and he'll call me once they get the pump. I ask him, wait, is it safe for me to drive, he assures me yes. I question him and say, but if somethings wrong w/ the oil pump, isn't that bad for my engine? Isn't it better for me to just wait til you replace the pump? He says its fine, oddly pressuring me to return the loaner. I say fine. I hangup, call my mechanic, he says no way, don't return it. Cars not safe to drive. \

WTF is going on. Is the dealership trying to trick me to returning the loaner and not helping me? I don't get it. Other threads have indicated that there could be a potentially serious problem w/ the engine. If so, could the dealership have figured that out and trying to snake their way out of fixing it? I have 193 000 kms and the warranty's done at 200 000 km. I'm planning to call the dealership tomorrow and tell them that I don't feel safe driving a car w/ an ongoing issue until its resolved. Do I ask them to replace the loaner? Do i just pay for an oil change out of my own pocket at my mechanic and keep the loaner? Any advice or previous experiences would greatly help. 2010 TL tech.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,736 Likes on 6,739 Posts
keep the loaner until they fix your oil pump issue. That loaner is fine.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 AM
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 69 Posts
Bring it to th attention of the service Manager. If he is not responsive to your concerns, Bring it to the attention of the Dealership general manager. I am certain that they would be grateful for bringing the potential hazard to a loaner vehicle to their attention.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
Bring it to th attention of the service Manager. If he is not responsive to your concerns, Bring it to the attention of the Dealership general manager. I am certain that they would be grateful for bringing the potential hazard to a loaner vehicle to their attention.
also give them a chance to rectify the issue. It could be a new person working and they don't know all the info