AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/)
-   -   Crackling Sound from rear deck area (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/crackling-sound-rear-deck-area-963319/)

HaloGirl 10-08-2017 08:14 PM

Crackling Sound from rear deck area

4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker who has finally decided to start a thread as I'm not seeing a fix to this issue and it is really close to driving me bonkers. In May, I started noticing a crackling sound coming from my rear speaker area in my 2012 TL even when the stereo was turned off. It was intermittent, seemed to be more prominent on rougher roads, but would always appear at some point in my commute. I took it to the dealer to have them look at it. Although they were able to replicate the sound, they said they wouldn't be able to fix it unless I was willing to pay between $500-$1000 (I was not). In the process of not fixing the issue, they damaged my car and long story short, I will never go back to my local Acura dealer.

I ended up searching on here for some time to try to find anyone with same issue and fixes and there were some posts, but they were quite old and pictures or further information are no longer accessible. I am not someone who works on cars, so I would need detailed and clear step-by-step instructions for some of the procedures named to try. I was finally able to get the liner out of the trunk and took the back seat out, but I am have not been able to get the rear deck shelf out or isolate where this noise is coming from (it sounds like it's near the shelf on the passenger side). Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

Also, when the dealer put my car back together my rear deck shelf doesn't look right to me. It's up higher in the center at the back window and I never noticed that before. I always thought it was flat all the way across the base of the rear window. Can anyone let me know what it's supposed to look like?

I've attached some pictures of the rear deck shelf and a video of the noise I've been dealing with.

Thanks so much!

HaloGirl 10-08-2017 08:15 PM

Sorry, don't know why the first picture is upside down..

Beak14 10-08-2017 08:53 PM

If it were me, and it bugged me as much as it does you, I think I'd take it to a talented stereo installer. Reason, they take interiors apart, and put them back together, all the time. Well, I think they do! lol

If that idea is not something that sounds good, how about a body shop, as they're take down cars, and rebuild them?

If that doesn't sound good, how about a better stereo? Or, just turn the one up, that you already have?

:rave:

HaloGirl 10-08-2017 08:58 PM

Thank you! Those are all things I was thinking about and believe me, I have my stereo up loud. My stereo is awesome as far as I am concerned but it sucks trying to have a conversation with someone in the car and there's a constant crackling noise coming from the back LOL. I will contact both and see if either thinks they can fix it or if it sounds like something they are used to working on. I wasn't sure which one to try as they are both good options. Appreciate it!

myacuratl10 10-08-2017 09:47 PM

I would take it back to the dealer that pulled it apart. That hump in the middle shouldn't be there. Even if they didn't fix your problem they should have told you what it is. They didnt give you a write up on the problem?

HaloGirl 10-08-2017 10:05 PM

They couldn't figure it out. They first told me they think they know what the problem is and then 2 days later it was 'we still can't figure out what it is and need to know if you will pay the money for us to find out.' I won't take it back there - they are absolutely incompetent. I asked the service manager about the deck shelf being put in wrong and he said he looked at another TL and it's supposed to be like that.

Beak14 10-10-2017 06:16 AM

HaloGirl, I think I'd contact Acura, and tell them your story! If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt what you've told us, then I think Acura should know how this dealer treated you, and how they resolved your issue!

Just my thoughts... Please tell us what happens, if you don't mind?

HaloGirl 10-10-2017 07:39 PM

Thank you Beak14, I will do that. I have most of it typed up already as I was going to file a complaint with the dealership.

EE4Life 10-10-2017 08:12 PM

Check out TSB 11-024 - Rear Shelf Area Clicks, Taps, or Ticks in the 2012 TSB thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945428/

HaloGirl 10-12-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by EE4Life (Post 16111233)
Check out TSB 11-024 - Rear Shelf Area Clicks, Taps, or Ticks in the 2012 TSB thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945428/

Oh my goodness, I can't thank you enough for this EE4Life, this WORKED! 15 minutes of my time and I have silence! My sanity is slowly returning. Now I just need to bawl out my local dealership for NOT doing their due diligence in researching this. Their incompetence is totally unacceptable - that this is a known issue and there's a service bulletin on it and they didn't attempt this fix. I paid them to not fix my car and damage/trash it in the process, I will be sending a letter to Acura!

hoonee46 11-02-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by HaloGirl (Post 16112370)
Oh my goodness, I can't thank you enough for this EE4Life, this WORKED! 15 minutes of my time and I have silence! My sanity is slowly returning. Now I just need to bawl out my local dealership for NOT doing their due diligence in researching this. Their incompetence is totally unacceptable - that this is a known issue and there's a service bulletin on it and they didn't attempt this fix. I paid them to not fix my car and damage/trash it in the process, I will be sending a letter to Acura!

How did you fix it in 15 minute?
Procedure instructs to remove a lot of the trunk interior and rear seats...
If you managed to find a shortcut please share :)

HaloGirl 11-02-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by hoonee46 (Post 16124592)
How did you fix it in 15 minute?
Procedure instructs to remove a lot of the trunk interior and rear seats...
If you managed to find a shortcut please share :)

You don't have to take the seats out. Just remove the top trunk liner and pull it down to expose the metal (basically start at step 13). However, this has only worked temporarily. I know this is the area of the noise, because every time I futz with it, it stops for a few days. It is back, so I am bummed out. Does anyone have any ideas on other things I can try before I take it to a body shop?

hoonee46 11-02-2017 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by HaloGirl (Post 16124597)
You don't have to take the seats out. Just remove the top trunk liner and pull it down to expose the metal (basically start at step 13). However, this has only worked temporarily. I know this is the area of the noise, because every time I futz with it, it stops for a few days. It is back, so I am bummed out. Does anyone have any ideas on other things I can try before I take it to a body shop?

ah, ok.

I thought maybe you somehow wedged something between the two panels without removing everything.
It seems the proper resolution is to execute the fix described in the TSB.
The key point is to create the gap between the 2 metal panels by prying between them.

Seems like overkill to remove everything like that..
One day, if it annoys me enough, I'll take it apart and see if any shortcuts.'
Till then, music on or windows down to drown it out...

HaloGirl 11-02-2017 10:37 AM

I've worked at it several times - just leaving that top trunk liner open - because it keeps coming back after a couple days. I am going back in this weekend to create a larger space and see what I can cram in there. I was able to put some small felt pieces in before but not very deep or far. I am thinking of leaving the bolts out too and see if that helps at all. So, you are dealing with this too? I absolutely can't stand it, it's been going on for almost 6 months now.

hoonee46 11-02-2017 10:43 AM

Well, if there is a TSB out, then it means it is a very common issue, so I'm sure many of us are.
Probably worse for some, not so bad for others, and some are more sensitive to interior noises.

I've been busy wedging away at the climate control unit to get rid of the ticks there, then sticking felt stickers on the center armrest.
With most of the other noises gone, I'm sure this will bother me more now.

After driving audis and bmws for the past decade, I got the TL.
German cars are far superior in this area, but you know what?
I'll deal with the interior noises rather than spend hundreds a month on repairs
Don't let it get to you too much. Love the car, turn up the music, keep your smile! :)

HaloGirl 11-02-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by hoonee46 (Post 16124636)
Well, if there is a TSB out, then it means it is a very common issue, so I'm sure many of us are.
Probably worse for some, not so bad for others, and some are more sensitive to interior noises.

I've been busy wedging away at the climate control unit to get rid of the ticks there, then sticking felt stickers on the center armrest.
With most of the other noises gone, I'm sure this will bother me more now.

After driving audis and bmws for the past decade, I got the TL.
German cars are far superior in this area, but you know what?
I'll deal with the interior noises rather than spend hundreds a month on repairs
Don't let it get to you too much. Love the car, turn up the music, keep your smile! :)

Thanks! I'll just work at it a little here and there and maybe I will be successful. I absolutely love the car too! The stereo is amazing and I am keeping it loud when I'm driving solo Glad you are enjoying yours as well :)

jasonstuckey 11-06-2017 12:46 PM

I had a annoying rattling sound coming from my rear deck when I listen to loud music with bass. I looked at the rear deck shelf from the trunk and noticed a long crack that had formed around one of the screws for the sub-woofer. I applied some Gorilla Glue to crack and that took care of all my rattling sound. Since then I have had more cracks form and used GG to fix problem.

Just my thoughts...Not sure if your problem is the same.

HaloGirl 11-08-2017 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jasonstuckey (Post 16127022)
I had a annoying rattling sound coming from my rear deck when I listen to loud music with bass. I looked at the rear deck shelf from the trunk and noticed a long crack that had formed around one of the screws for the sub-woofer. I applied some Gorilla Glue to crack and that took care of all my rattling sound. Since then I have had more cracks form and used GG to fix problem.

Just my thoughts...Not sure if your problem is the same.

Thanks Jason! I will look into that this weekend. Did your rattle happen even if the stereo is off? That is what mine is doing. I worked on it some more this last weekend and had another temporary reprieve, but the crackling started again last night. I believe it is coming from the area (on the driver's side, not the passenger) that is in the TSB because every time I tinker in there I get a few days of quiet, but then it starts up again. I'll take a look this weekend and see if I can see any cracks in that area.

jasonstuckey 11-13-2017 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by HaloGirl (Post 16129116)
Thanks Jason! I will look into that this weekend. Did your rattle happen even if the stereo is off? That is what mine is doing. I worked on it some more this last weekend and had another temporary reprieve, but the crackling started again last night. I believe it is coming from the area (on the driver's side, not the passenger) that is in the TSB because every time I tinker in there I get a few days of quiet, but then it starts up again. I'll take a look this weekend and see if I can see any cracks in that area.

No. I only had an issue while the stereo is on.