considering a 4g TL, any known issues? what to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
considering a 4g TL, any known issues? what to watch for?

Hey Guys, I'm thinking of looking at a 4g tl, the 3.7 sh-AWD model, not sure what year but I'd guess earlier, like 09,2010 or 2011. I currently have a 3g Tl, Had it 2 months and it has been a lemon for me, Tranny went, rich codes both banks that wont go away, etc etc lol... apparently its a semi common issue to the 3g tl is the tranny.

What are some known issues? Are the tranny's good in the 4g now? things to look out for? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Sorry to hear your 3G didn't pan out. I had a 2006 and it was flawless. It was a manual however. Some of the 2004-2006 auto's were faulty. They corrected this the latter part of 2006-2008.

The transmissions in the 4G are considerably better but not bulletproof. The main issue has been the torque converter. In a few cases, the torque converter has failed. However, it seems to be a much less widespread problem than the AT's in the 3G TL's. It also seems to happen relatively early on. If it hasn't been an issue before 50K miles, it's likely not going to be a problem. One of the main things you'll want to make sure of is that the software update has been done by the dealer (which is free) which smooths out the transmission and helps avoid the issue with the TC. Before it's done, the transmission is considerably rougher in shifting and often has a hard time "finding" a comfortable gear. I purchased my 4G at about 60K miles and it had not yet been done. Once it was done (along with the Takata airbag recall) it purred like a kitten and has ever since. I'm now at 126K and shifts as good as the day I bought it. Another thing to keep in mind is that in 2012, during the mid-model refresh, Acura began using the 6-speed transmission on the TL. Prior to that, in the 2009-2011, it's a 5-speed. Neither have been shown to be better or worse in reliability but your gas mileage and acceleration may be better in a 2012+ due to the extra gear.

The other potential issues with the SH-AWD is oil consumption with the 3.7L engine and the propeller shaft "whirring". It's ironic, because almost no one has issues with the 3.5L in the FWD TL - but mine has suddenly began to consume oil bigtime. You posted on my thread. However, I've literally not heard of one other oil issue for any other FWD members on the board. In general, that engine is pretty solid. The 3.7L in the SH-AWD has had somewhat widespread oil consumption issues though. It seems it's less than half that end up having the problem, maybe 30% or so? Unlike my issue, which is due to a bad ring in only one cylinder, the 3.7L doesn't seem to suffer from a lot of spark plug fouling, carbon buildup or spark knock, indicating that the oil consumption is probably somewhat uniform between all cylinders and minor enough that it doesn't have an adverse effect on the engine. You'll still want to plan for this though. There isn't a fix for it either. Some have had the dealer replace the engine, even several times, and the problem still persists. It appears to be a design issue. Most members of the forum with the problem just accept that they'll have to add a quart of oil every 1000-3000 miles.

The propeller shaft issue is due to a bearing IIRC. It's not a cheap fix either. Not sure how much exactly but I think it's toward $1000 or so. I'm not sure how many have had this issue but it's enough that it's been brought up several times. Many have had to replace it at least once, some twice. But plenty haven't had the problem at all. Just another thing to factor in with the AWD.

Both of those sound pretty bad but if you put it into perspective with other cars problems, it's really not that bad. The engine issue isn't one you'll want to dump any money into. It's simply a matter of having to add oil occasionally. There are cars that burn that much oil straight off the line where it's just an expectation that oil will need to be checked and topped off occasionally. The propeller shaft is an expense but not likely one you'll have to address often. Probably once, maybe twice if you keep the car a long time. Otherwise, most members haven't encountered other problems.

Good luck with your search. The SH-AWD system is magic. I didn't purchase it because of my budget but I still think it's a great car. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to purchase one based on the potential problems it's known to have.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Sorry to hear your 3G didn't pan out. I had a 2006 and it was flawless. It was a manual however. Some of the 2004-2006 auto's were faulty. They corrected this the latter part of 2006-2008.

The transmissions in the 4G are considerably better but not bulletproof. The main issue has been the torque converter. In a few cases, the torque converter has failed. However, it seems to be a much less widespread problem than the AT's in the 3G TL's. It also seems to happen relatively early on. If it hasn't been an issue before 50K miles, it's likely not going to be a problem. One of the main things you'll want to make sure of is that the software update has been done by the dealer (which is free) which smooths out the transmission and helps avoid the issue with the TC. Before it's done, the transmission is considerably rougher in shifting and often has a hard time "finding" a comfortable gear. I purchased my 4G at about 60K miles and it had not yet been done. Once it was done (along with the Takata airbag recall) it purred like a kitten and has ever since. I'm now at 126K and shifts as good as the day I bought it. Another thing to keep in mind is that in 2012, during the mid-model refresh, Acura began using the 6-speed transmission on the TL. Prior to that, in the 2009-2011, it's a 5-speed. Neither have been shown to be better or worse in reliability but your gas mileage and acceleration may be better in a 2012+ due to the extra gear.

The other potential issues with the SH-AWD is oil consumption with the 3.7L engine and the propeller shaft "whirring". It's ironic, because almost no one has issues with the 3.5L in the FWD TL - but mine has suddenly began to consume oil bigtime. You posted on my thread. However, I've literally not heard of one other oil issue for any other FWD members on the board. In general, that engine is pretty solid. The 3.7L in the SH-AWD has had somewhat widespread oil consumption issues though. It seems it's less than half that end up having the problem, maybe 30% or so? Unlike my issue, which is due to a bad ring in only one cylinder, the 3.7L doesn't seem to suffer from a lot of spark plug fouling, carbon buildup or spark knock, indicating that the oil consumption is probably somewhat uniform between all cylinders and minor enough that it doesn't have an adverse effect on the engine. You'll still want to plan for this though. There isn't a fix for it either. Some have had the dealer replace the engine, even several times, and the problem still persists. It appears to be a design issue. Most members of the forum with the problem just accept that they'll have to add a quart of oil every 1000-3000 miles.

The propeller shaft issue is due to a bearing IIRC. It's not a cheap fix either. Not sure how much exactly but I think it's toward $1000 or so. I'm not sure how many have had this issue but it's enough that it's been brought up several times. Many have had to replace it at least once, some twice. But plenty haven't had the problem at all. Just another thing to factor in with the AWD.

Both of those sound pretty bad but if you put it into perspective with other cars problems, it's really not that bad. The engine issue isn't one you'll want to dump any money into. It's simply a matter of having to add oil occasionally. There are cars that burn that much oil straight off the line where it's just an expectation that oil will need to be checked and topped off occasionally. The propeller shaft is an expense but not likely one you'll have to address often. Probably once, maybe twice if you keep the car a long time. Otherwise, most members haven't encountered other problems.

Good luck with your search. The SH-AWD system is magic. I didn't purchase it because of my budget but I still think it's a great car. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to purchase one based on the potential problems it's known to have.
Great, informative post. Good info in there. I've had my '12 SH-AWD for just over a year now, had the airbag recall and torque converter update done. No regrets with the car.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replys, I'll look into the propeller shaft issue, probably isn't a big deal though, and I'm not afraid of some mileage so odds are I will find something above 60k miles, or 100k km. I just want something reliable, fun to drive and still half luxurious, AWD really appeals to me being up here in the great white north or canada, we do get snow, and lots of it, so It wouldn't hurt to have at all.

going from the 3g tl to 4g is the soundsystem any better? I read you want the TECH package or the one with navigation then you get the better sound system, is it the same as the 3g or better? I find the factory sub for the most part isn't BAD but its a shame it's best at low volume then as it goes up it pumps less and less. Otherwise for me it does have a good enough kick to it.

Also anybody have some input with what they loved about the 4g sh awd over their 3g?

Last edited by Octanee; 08-29-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Octanee
going from the 3g tl to 4g is the soundsystem any better? I read you want the TECH package or the one with navigation then you get the better sound system, is it the same as the 3g or better?
In my opinion, the tech package is an absolute must. OMG. Night and Day on the audio system. Probably in my top 3 best improvements from the 3G to 4G. I'm not an audiophile but I had to modify my 3G system considerably to get it where I wanted it. Aftermarket speakers, tweeters and sub. With the 4G, I have absolutely no desire to touch anything. It's the first car I haven't had to modify. The sub puts out plenty of bass and the highs are good. If anything, the highs could be a bit better, maybe some aftermarket tweeters. But that's it. Granted, I'm not a kid anymore and don't need earth shattering bass. But still, I have my sub setting on 3/6 and bass on 0/6. If I cranked it up it would be too much for my taste.

I driver Uber/Lyft on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of my passengers are hitting the bars and clubs and frequently ask for the aux cable. I've had multiple people ask me what system I installed in my car. When I tell them it's stock they're always surprised.

And yeah, I'd go for the AWD up there in Canada. But my FWD with Bridgestone Blizzaks was a boss in deep snow up in Park City last winter. I was the only car running around doing Uber and Lyft. Everyone else was in SUV's with AWD looking at me funny. Those tires are a wonder of engineering.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:04 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
losiglow should seen the looks I got back in early 90s when I use Blizzaks on my 85 RX-7 GSLSE. I seriously plowed through the snow and replaced the lower grill twice. I had lots of fun with it. My wife drove blizzaks for the first time back in 97 and ever since, never drives in winter without it. (or comparable studdless winter tire brand)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Good info guys! and I'm a firm believer no matter what in good winter tires. Who ever thinks all seasons can do it all are terribly wrong, they aren't good at summer and aren't good during the winter. And just because you have AWD to help you accelerate faster in the snow... Doesn't mean you're going to stop any better because it makes 0 difference there! haha.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just went to a 2012 elite from a 2006 TL. I must say I love the 4g but hate how the door panels are a rough plastic instead of the soft material used on the 3G all the way down. I had the dreaded propeller shaft issue on day 3 luckily the dealer will replace the unit under warranty. Car has 55k miles, 19" ride very stiff will look at replacing them with michelins in the sprig. Car is a gas pig avg 15 mpg in the city so far.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Octanee
Good info guys! and I'm a firm believer no matter what in good winter tires. Who ever thinks all seasons can do it all are terribly wrong, they aren't good at summer and aren't good during the winter. And just because you have AWD to help you accelerate faster in the snow... Doesn't mean you're going to stop any better because it makes 0 difference there! haha.
Sorry, I guess I'm in the "Terribly Wrong" category and plan to stay there as well. The thing is, not all All-Season tires are created equal. I run them year round on all of my cars and they really are far more capable than you give them credit for. That said, I typically spring for the top of the line Michelin, Continental, or Pirelli all-seasons; I said "typically" because I made the mistake of buying a set of Yokohama all-seasons a few years ago and they did indeed suck both in winter driving as well as all phases of non-winter driving.

Regarding your 3G transmission, it seems not all rebuilds/remanufactures are the same; before dumping your car it might make sense to review this thread:
Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM
Advanced

good feedback on switching from your 3g to 4g! thanks!

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sorry, I guess I'm in the "Terribly Wrong" category and plan to stay there as well. The thing is, not all All-Season tires are created equal. I run them year round on all of my cars and they really are far more capable than you give them credit for. That said, I typically spring for the top of the line Michelin, Continental, or Pirelli all-seasons; I said "typically" because I made the mistake of buying a set of Yokohama all-seasons a few years ago and they did indeed suck both in winter driving as well as all phases of non-winter driving.

Regarding your 3G transmission, it seems not all rebuilds/remanufactures are the same; before dumping your car it might make sense to review this thread:
Oh interesting, Well I suppose it does have a lot to do with brands of tires as well and you do get what you pay for too!. And thanks for that link, interesting read, I know my other trans had slammed gear 1 -2 from day 1 i owned it and let go after 1.5 months of ownership. this new trans which came out of a car with over 230k km shifts smoothly. I'm worried though whether this will hold up fine or not. And that's why I'm debating to sell the car or not. I do like it but I don't seem to have much trust in the tranny anymore! hmm
Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anicra
losiglow should seen the looks I got back in early 90s when I use Blizzaks on my 85 RX-7 GSLSE. I seriously plowed through the snow and replaced the lower grill twice. I had lots of fun with it. My wife drove blizzaks for the first time back in 97 and ever since, never drives in winter without it. (or comparable studdless winter tire brand)
Damn. And that Mazda was RWD I believe. Kudos to you.

I've never used snow tires here in Utah until I drove rideshare up in Park City while I was unemployed. Prior to that I just used good all seasons which does the trick just fine in the city. The only negative is the Blizzaks wear quick. But still, it's better to spend the money on good snow tires than risk an accident or get stuck somewhere.

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sorry, I guess I'm in the "Terribly Wrong" category and plan to stay there as well. The thing is, not all All-Season tires are created equal.
^ Totally agree. All season tires have a massive range of quality and traction. Some are completely worthless in snow (or even rain....) and others are very capable. You get what you pay for to a certain degree. Cheapo all seasons from Walmart are likely going to be crap while the good ones, from tire companies that put a good deal of research and development into, are obviously going to be more expensive. I drive the Continental DWS 06 and they are very good in the snow and still plenty sporty in the summer. They do wear a little faster than touring tires like Michelins but I believe they're rated #1 in snow traction among all season tires. I got about 40K out of my last set, but I drive pretty "spirited" in the summer. They obviously don't touch the Blizzaks with a 10 ft. pole when it comes to hardcore stuff like 18 inches of unpacked snow that I was barreling through in Park City, but they're still more than enough in the valley with reasonable amounts of snow and ice. I've used them for the last 5 winters or so (sans the "06" which is a new release) and they've been excellent.
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (08-31-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I have a 2010 TL AWD with 112,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had was and alternator had to be replaced.
I also have a 2005 TL 3.2 liter with 163,000 miles on it and I have only had to do a few things. Alternator, power steering pump, and 1 door actuator.
Both cars have been family cars since they were new and they have been factory serviced from day one. I have been really impressed with Acura.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies and great debates, And yes I'd believe the car I have would of been better had the previous owner actually maintained it better, she had some paper work and It made it look better than it really was, I've had it up for sale for a month now and no takers, I think I'm stuck with her, oh well it runs lol. now to find winter tires since the seasons coming.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:58 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have sights on a 2009 TL with the Tech package with 167000 kms on it. CARFAX is clean from 2014 and on. Regular oil changes, sway cars done, driver mirror replaced.

Took it for a ride yesterday. The airbag light was on after a start on it twice. The 3rd start, it was gone. It's not mine yet and I need to have it inspected before I buy it. So have seen above that it might cost some to fix? Maybe? Other light was a key FOB light. IT was showing red on the dash. The key FOB worked for proximity push buttons on the doors and the FOB did it's job as well.

Looking for opinions.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim_NS
I have sights on a 2009 TL with the Tech package with 167000 kms on it. CARFAX is clean from 2014 and on. Regular oil changes, sway cars done, driver mirror replaced.

Took it for a ride yesterday. The airbag light was on after a start on it twice. The 3rd start, it was gone. It's not mine yet and I need to have it inspected before I buy it. So have seen above that it might cost some to fix? Maybe? Other light was a key FOB light. IT was showing red on the dash. The key FOB worked for proximity push buttons on the doors and the FOB did it's job as well.

Looking for opinions.
Id have it scanned to see what the lights are, the airbag one must be an intermittent issue. for instance like a steering wheel clock spring failed/failing, Every time you turn your vehicle on the air bag system does a self check, and during driving at times, so if it was parked at the right spot it was reading fine then other times not connecting like a broken wire.. just a thought. Airbag stuff can be big $$$ and airbags are important too.... Lucky on my truck (2008 chevrolet) It was just the clock spring. easy enough to swap.
The following users liked this post:
jim_NS (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 01:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I'm going to see if the local dealership has any info on it. I see a lot of TSBs and recalls on the airbag systems but that seems to be about accidental discharge vice coming up as a code.