"Clunking diesel noise" when starting 1st/2nd gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
"Clunking diesel noise" when starting 1st/2nd gear.

Occasionally I've been now noticing the following noise occuring: after I've driven the car and the car is warmed up, I stop, shut off the engine, and leave the car. I return sometime later, say 20-30 minutes, and:

I turn on the car, and accelerate in 1st gear (starting from stationary) I can hear what appears to be a "diesel clunking like noise" that appears to be coming from the engine bay. I can hear this noise in 1st and 2nd gear, and appears to have disappeared by the time I'm in 3rd gear or higher. If I stop the vehicle, and continue on in 1st and 2nd gear again, I hear the same "clunking noise." This noise seems to be disappear if the car is driven for a bit. If memory serves me right, I recall hearing this noise when I'm starting of on an incline.

Have you guys/gals heard this "clunking noise" before? The first time I've noticed this noise a few months ago, I thought an engine part may have "broke" and I'm driving a tractor trailer.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
it sounds like your car is "pinging". The sound is more pronounced when the engine in working. You need to have that checked out as its not good.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by dwest1023
it sounds like your car is "pinging". The sound is more pronounced when the engine in working. You need to have that checked out as its not good.
Thanks for the response. I'll mention this noise to the stealership tomorrow. Would you know of any possible causes? I always use 91 unleaded FWIW.

I have a feeling though, they won't be able to reproduce this noise and say it's driver error (like my 3rd gear occasionally popping out).
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by docboy
Thanks for the response. I'll mention this noise to the stealership tomorrow. Would you know of any possible causes? I always use 91 unleaded FWIW.

I have a feeling though, they won't be able to reproduce this noise and say it's driver error (like my 3rd gear occasionally popping out).
Let me know what they say. I have this too. Pinging is not it, I have had that in other cars, the ping is much more high pitched. Diesal sound come to think of it is accurate. I get it when warm, when gears 1 or 2 are under load. I took it in one for it and they could not reproduce. Then they just said its normal. I've al wys been sure it isn't.

If you ever had an old standard car and when in econd gear driving throw it into 5 th gear and hit the gas it makes the tranny clunk bc the engine speed is not matched to gear speed. There is a term for that. And to me that's what it sounds like. Tranny lug, ,that's the term I think.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jsla.v2
Let me know what they say. I have this too. Pinging is not it, I have had that in other cars, the ping is much more high pitched. Diesal sound come to think of it is accurate. I get it when warm, when gears 1 or 2 are under load. I took it in one for it and they could not reproduce. Then they just said its normal. I've al wys been sure it isn't.

If you ever had an old standard car and when in econd gear driving throw it into 5 th gear and hit the gas it makes the tranny clunk bc the engine speed is not matched to gear speed. There is a term for that. And to me that's what it sounds like. Tranny lug, ,that's the term I think.
Can you describe what "pinging" sounds like? I always assumed it was like a higher pitched, fairly rapid, "ting-ting-ting-ting-ting" sound that I sometimes hear after the vehicle is driven for a while and it sits in the garage.

Do you also have a 4G TL 6MT?

I had an old 91 Integra 5spd manual which never made this "diesel noise." I haven't had time to call the stealership yet. I'll see if I can get around it today.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you describe what "pinging" sounds like? I always assumed it was like a higher pitched, fairly rapid, "ting-ting-ting-ting-ting" sound that I sometimes hear after the vehicle is driven for a while and it sits in the garage.

Do you also have a 4G TL 6MT?

I had an old 91 Integra 5spd manual which never made this "diesel noise." I haven't had time to call the stealership yet. I'll see if I can get around it today.
Pinging on my crx sounded like a thumb operated bell on a kids bike kind of, high pitched. 'shring shring'
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I've never heard pinging being high pitched. If its NOT pinging then it could be a rod bearing. Have any of you run low on oil at ANY time? Maybe what you are hearing is the torque converter issue. Do you have AWD?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I've never heard pinging being high pitched. If its NOT pinging then it could be a rod bearing. Have any of you run low on oil at ANY time? Maybe what you are hearing is the torque converter issue. Do you have AWD?
I'll check my oil level to see if it's low.

Yes, I have a TL 6MT, which is AWD. Does the torque converter issue affect manual transmissions as well?

I heard it again this morning, when I was driving up a small hill. Doesn't happen all the time, and I'm pretty sure the stealership will says its driver's error or "within specs."
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
It sounds like spark knock ("pinging"), especially when you describe it as happening going up a hill. Pinging is usually worse under a light load.

Could be a bad batch of gas or your spark knock sensor is not working.

I'd take it in. Pinging is not good for the engine over the long run.

I'd be very surprised if it's a rod bearing. It's a HONDA. I've seen Accords that have gone years without oil changes, only having oil added when the light came on. Even these cars experienced no rod bearing failure.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have this issue. 2010 6MT SH-AWD (obviously)..

However, today I really noticed it starting out in 2nd gear. I also found out the wife put regular grade gasoline into it on the weekend.. tsh tsh.. She now knows not to! I'm hoping that when I fill'er up with premium again, it will subside..

My transmission is much more of a problem than the 'diesel knocking'. It frequently grinds on it's way into 3rd (clutch to the floor as a habbit now from this problem), and if I'm redline in 1st then slide to 2nd I can hear a metallic grinding from the synchros (especially if the windows are open and there is a reflective surface such as a curb near by). A few weeks back, I couldn't even get it into 1st gear at all. I took it to the dealer, but of course by time I got there it was smooth as butter again.. Not happy with this transmission so far, unfortunately!

Anyone else have this issue?? Sorry to hijack your thread!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
silky, try changing you transmission fluid to GM Synchromesh.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by silkysmooth_96
I also have this issue. 2010 6MT SH-AWD (obviously)..

However, today I really noticed it starting out in 2nd gear. I also found out the wife put regular grade gasoline into it on the weekend.. tsh tsh.. She now knows not to! I'm hoping that when I fill'er up with premium again, it will subside..

My transmission is much more of a problem than the 'diesel knocking'. It frequently grinds on it's way into 3rd (clutch to the floor as a habbit now from this problem), and if I'm redline in 1st then slide to 2nd I can hear a metallic grinding from the synchros (especially if the windows are open and there is a reflective surface such as a curb near by). A few weeks back, I couldn't even get it into 1st gear at all. I took it to the dealer, but of course by time I got there it was smooth as butter again.. Not happy with this transmission so far, unfortunately!

Anyone else have this issue?? Sorry to hijack your thread!
No worries about the hijack. Yup, some of the same issues here. I have the occasional 3rd gear "stick and pop out" when shifting from 2nd-3rd and from 4th/neutral to 2nd; and yes, also the infrequent grind when shifting into 3rd. Doesn't always happen. I took it to the stealership a few times, they have never been able to duplicate the problem and they attribute it to driver's error.

I'm hesitant to try the GM syncromesh fluid. Seems to work for the 3G TL, but 4G shows mixed resuts. One 4G owner used it and I think it really messed up his transmission.

I have also heard the infrequent "screech" when shifting from 1st-2nd. Not very pleasant.

Stuck at this point on what to do....
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
silky, try changing you transmission fluid to GM Synchromesh.
Not so sure while under warranty with the issues I'm having this would be wise. Today, redline from 1st to second it wasn't in any mood to engage! Needless to say, it no longer goes into 1st gear!

So, it's 100% of the time 2nd gear starting for me until the dealer fixes the transmission. No matter what I try, can't get into 1st whether I'm stopped or rolling. POS..

Anyhow, we'll see how this one goes over with Acura.. Silkysmooth OUT.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

With the shift stick in neutral, try let up the clutch for a few seconds. This will synchronize the engine rpm with the tranny gears. Then depress the clutch all the way, and see if you can shift into 1st this time.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

With the shift stick in neutral, try let up the clutch for a few seconds. This will synchronize the engine rpm with the tranny gears. Then depress the clutch all the way, and see if you can shift into 1st this time.
Have tried this numerous times at the red lights. Even a very slow clutch pedal travel yields a grind. it just won't go into 1st.. ever.. With the car moving slowly this should also bring the input shaft to speed when trying to get into 1st gear allowing it to engage.. No luck..

Better fuel economy starting off in 2nd anyhow :-)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

Looks like you've lost 1st gear synchronization completely. You may need to rebuild your tranny to fix.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM

^^^A little disturbing you can no longer access 1st gear. What does the stealership have to say about this?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced

She was dropped off this morning at the dealer. We will see what they say.. dealer says he's gonna take it for a test drive. LOL. Why bother when it doesn't go into first!

Tranny will be coming out for rebuild. I plan on stopping in tomorrow to see the progress, and more importantly the problem!!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by silkysmooth_96
She was dropped off this morning at the dealer. We will see what they say.. dealer says he's gonna take it for a test drive. LOL. Why bother when it doesn't go into first!

Tranny will be coming out for rebuild. I plan on stopping in tomorrow to see the progress, and more importantly the problem!!
Based on your other post I would guess loose nut behind the wheel.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Leather so soft.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Occasionally I've been now noticing the following noise occuring: after I've driven the car and the car is warmed up, I stop, shut off the engine, and leave the car. I return sometime later, say 20-30 minutes, and:

I turn on the car, and accelerate in 1st gear (starting from stationary) I can hear what appears to be a "diesel clunking like noise" that appears to be coming from the engine bay. I can hear this noise in 1st and 2nd gear, and appears to have disappeared by the time I'm in 3rd gear or higher. If I stop the vehicle, and continue on in 1st and 2nd gear again, I hear the same "clunking noise." This noise seems to be disappear if the car is driven for a bit. If memory serves me right, I recall hearing this noise when I'm starting of on an incline.

Have you guys/gals heard this "clunking noise" before? The first time I've noticed this noise a few months ago, I thought an engine part may have "broke" and I'm driving a tractor trailer.

i have a 2012 manual tl, and i encountered this problem too? did you find a solution orthe problem?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Leather so soft.

Some forums say it could be a heat shield, can anyone attest to this?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Leather so soft.

I went to change my oil and the shop said that my front slid plate is missing which can be causing the noise.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone get this resolved? I have the exact "diesel" clunk when accelating from dead stop. '10 Awd auto. Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi guys ,
I am having the same issue started 2 weeks ago ( every fluid in my car is flushed new with synthetic last month and car is up-to-date) ***09 SH-AWD AUTO***

Took it to dealership. Tech took it for test drive he said its loose heat shield
I Checked everything under the car nothing loose,
took it back to dealership took out their most experienced Tech for drive
he said its pinging and its a bad batch of gas as I use 91 gas from Superstore all the time. Told me to use SHELL V-POWER for next 3 for 4 tanks as its a slow learning process for ECU
or he also gave me a option to use the rest of gas and fill up with V-power and come to dealership and get the ecu updated to tell it that its ACTUAL 91 OCTANE GAS

I just filled up my first tank with V-POWER let see how it changes

I have noticed if I don't accelerate hard it won't do it hopefully its just engine knocking.

"Lastly damage caused by using cheap 91 gas( there is a engine code for low octane gas used multiple times) is not covered under warranty and it eventually causes engine light to come on which can be a serious issue( that means ECU counts the cycles of knocking where it had to retard timming when it reaches certain limit it gives check engine light)" - AS TOLD BY ACURA SERVICE MANAGER
hope it helps :-)

Last edited by LADHAR; 10-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
I recently switched to Shell. If it can go in a Formula 1 car, it's good enough for me.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/0...road-car-fuel/
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Not sure if its the same sound... but I had noises coming from the heat shield and I realize its not directed related to the tranny but on my car it had a sweet spot... 2nd or 3rd gear at about 2300rpm. The noise bothered my so much that I literally drove the car about 100 miles on a Saturday to find this sweet spot because as you know... if tech can't hear it... tough luck!

The heat shield was bent out a bit and it also had some pebbles in there that were rattling.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 AM
KB LADHAR

any update guys ??
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by echodigital
I recently switched to Shell. If it can go in a Formula 1 car, it's good enough for me.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/0...road-car-fuel/
“99% of the chemistry in Shell V-Power race fuel is identical to the chemistry used in the road fuel that can be bought at Shell forecourts
Except the octane level in F1 fuel is between 102-116...
Old 10-23-2013, 03:07 AM
KB LADHAR

just an update guys
Iam at my 4th V-POWER tank fill up and that noise is considerably reduced
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 AM
10th Gear

When I'm at idle, like at a stop light, I'll notice this faint clacking noise from the engine bay, which reminds me of the clacking of a diesel engine. I presume it's a belt? I'm surprised I'm hearing any noise from a higher end car like this.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
[QUOTE=docboy;14067155]

Yes, I have a TL 6MT, which is AWD. Does the torque converter issue affect manual transmissions as well?
QUOTE]

You can rule out torque converter, you have a manual trans., that means, no torque converter...only in automatics.

Originally Posted by jerzey111
Did anyone get this resolved? I have the exact "diesel" clunk when accelating from dead stop. '10 Awd auto. Thanks
THIS might be the torque converter issue, loss of power on acceleration?

Originally Posted by LADHAR
Hi guys ,
I am having the same issue started 2 weeks ago ( every fluid in my car is flushed new with synthetic last month and car is up-to-date) ***09 SH-AWD AUTO***

Took it to dealership. Tech took it for test drive he said its loose heat shield
I Checked everything under the car nothing loose,
took it back to dealership took out their most experienced Tech for drive
he said its pinging and its a bad batch of gas as I use 91 gas from Superstore all the time. Told me to use SHELL V-POWER for next 3 for 4 tanks as its a slow learning process for ECU
or he also gave me a option to use the rest of gas and fill up with V-power and come to dealership and get the ecu updated to tell it that its ACTUAL 91 OCTANE GAS

I just filled up my first tank with V-POWER let see how it changes

I have noticed if I don't accelerate hard it won't do it hopefully its just engine knocking.
Any early AWD automatic TL with this issue should be checked for the torque converter issue...I believe there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) with Acura about it...they should fix it.

Last edited by losimus; 10-24-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 AM
KB LADHAR

Torque converter is fine there is no loss of power and no hesitation just this Clunking diesel noise

any updates guys?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

My starter with only slight clunk just like ok stated but turned into this. To make the long story short, dealer is replacing the entire engine. They said it was a bent rod or something like that.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jerzey111
My starter with only slight clunk just like ok stated but turned into this. To make the long story short, dealer is replacing the entire engine. They said it was a bent rod or something like that.

T20131015_185612.mp4 - YouTube
wow that doesnt sound good. mine sounds like a very faint version of yours as of recent. i use shell but 89.