Car vibrations at high speeds and feels Like a flat spot in my tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Car vibrations at high speeds and feels Like a flat spot in my tire

Hi all,

So I am still fixing up my new TL and sharing some of my work / issues / fixes with the world. So when i bought the car i noticed that the front left tire was recently replaced and noticed that it felt like it had a flat spot until the tires warmed up, then it got a little better. But overall the car had vibrations at any speed between 40-85 mph. So I figured they hit a big pothole and blew the tire and put a new one on.

Possible issues: Not in any particular order.
Wheel Balance
Bent rim's
Bad tire
Bad alignment
Bad suspension

Progress so far:
So I found a shop here in NJ that will fix bent rim's for $110 each and paint / fix bends for $160 each. They inspected all of the tires and found that 2 of the rims were bent, i was able to see the rims myself as they spun them. That front driver side had a 6 inch flat spot, I don't even know how they got the tire to stay on! The shop then accidentally took the wrong front tire off and repaired any bends by accident *FREEBIE* lol so both fronts have been straightened. The rears are being fully repainted and straightened and its about a 2 day turn around. I am doing 1 at a time and using my spare tire in the meantime. This also includes re-balancing after the tire has been re-installed.

The car already feels near perfect. The one really bent rim scored of over 100, after being repaired it scored an 18. He said anything under 30 is considered straight, but lower number the better.
Once i get all of the wheels fixed i'll take it in for an alignment, I noticed a few of the tires wearing on the inside more than the outside.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just picked up my 2009 Tech AWD last week.
During the test drive, I noticed the same thing, except very subtle.
I ended up leaving a deposit for the car and asked them to check it out.
Monday, when I returned, they had discovered a bent wheel in the rear.
Offered free fix and loaner, so I signed.

DCH Acura Montclair.

FYI, these guys repair wheels in a mobile station - I had them come into my work parking lot a few times.
Great people, great work.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/silverstar-...repair-oakland

Good luck with your new car, and enjoy the smooth ride!