6MT Clutch pedal engagement point

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
6MT Clutch pedal engagement point

I have a 2010 6mt, Last september I had the clutch replaced on my car due to it being completely worn out. It was covered under warranty although the service manager was very rude to me about my driving habits. Since then I feel like the clutch engagement point has been getting farther up the travel of the clutch pedal and harder to tell exactly when it will engage. I'm wary to ask the dealer as I'd prefer to never do business with them again. I could always just drive to another dealer...

I was wondering where other's clutch pedals are actually starting to engage their transmission. Mine feels like it's a little past half-way through the clutch pedal's travel. Does this sound normal? Also, does the feel of the clutch engaging seem kind of mushy to anyone else?

Is this normal or am I going to have to deal with getting it looked at?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Is the clutch cable adjustable so you can lower the engagement height ?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Maybe the clutch cable is loose? I'm not sure what accounts for an iffy engagement point. On mine the catch point is probably on the 1/3 side of the clutch travel. But it's the same spot every time.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Racer

sigh... Gonna take it to the dealership and see what they say.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Racer

Dealership found nothing wrong, guess I'm just paranoid since I had to have the clutch replaced at 19k miles. Oh well, 68 bucks for peace of mind seems acceptable to me at this point.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by maddogtheta
Dealership found nothing wrong, guess I'm just paranoid since I had to have the clutch replaced at 19k miles. Oh well, 68 bucks for peace of mind seems acceptable to me at this point.
My clutch's engagement also seems to be a tad past half way point if I recall on the top of my head. It's been at the same position since I got the car; I'll repost on here if I find otherwise on my commute home today.

I recall reading a magazine article, and one of their comments was that the 4G TL 6MT's clutch engagement point is "a little high up." Seems to be the "norm."

So the dealership charged you $68 to look at the clutch? Or were other services performed as well?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info docboy, it was 68 for the diagnostics on the clutch since there wasn't anything wrong with it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I remember when I first bought my 2010 sh-awd that I thought the engagement point was pretty high.

it hasn't changed, though...i'm still paranoid as you are...

My knowledge of the inner working of cars aren't especially high...would buying an upgraded after market clutch help?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering where other's clutch pedals are actually starting to engage their transmission. Mine feels like it's a little past half-way through the clutch pedal's travel. Does this sound normal? Also, does the feel of the clutch engaging seem kind of mushy to anyone else?
Ever since new I noticed that my car's clutch engagement is earlier in the travel compared to my other non-automatic cars, roughly about 1/3 of the way. Also, it is not easy to detect when the clutch is fully disengaged, which can lead to applying the gas too soon after an upshift, and therefore to premature wear of the clutch. One way around this is to release the clutch rather rapidly, faster than one would in a normal manual transmission.

I suspect that the special twin-mass flywheel that Honda chose for this car may be a contributing factor to this difficulty in detecting clutch release. Unlike a normal flywheel, this one is made up of two components connected by strong springs: when the flywheel's rotation speed drops or increases suddenly (as when engaging the clutch, upshifting or downshifting and immediately disengaging) the spring dampens the lurch by temporarily allowing one of the components of the flywheel to rotate at a different speed from the other. In practice, I believe this type of flywheel makes it less easy even for an experienced driver to detect the exact point of clutch engagement/disengagement.

By the way, this type of flywheel was introduced in Europe about 20 years ago, initially by BMW on their diesel engines, and is now quite common on European cars. Initially it was plagued by problems, with many breaking prematurely under stress, but the technology has since progressed and become quite reliable. To the best of my knowledge, this is a first for Honda or any other Japanese manufacturer.
Stefano
Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Motorista
Ever since new I noticed that my car's clutch engagement is earlier in the travel compared to my other non-automatic cars, roughly about 1/3 of the way. Also, it is not easy to detect when the clutch is fully disengaged, which can lead to applying the gas too soon after an upshift, and therefore to premature wear of the clutch. One way around this is to release the clutch rather rapidly, faster than one would in a normal manual transmission.

I suspect that the special twin-mass flywheel that Honda chose for this car may be a contributing factor to this difficulty in detecting clutch release. Unlike a normal flywheel, this one is made up of two components connected by strong springs: when the flywheel's rotation speed drops or increases suddenly (as when engaging the clutch, upshifting or downshifting and immediately disengaging) the spring dampens the lurch by temporarily allowing one of the components of the flywheel to rotate at a different speed from the other. In practice, I believe this type of flywheel makes it less easy even for an experienced driver to detect the exact point of clutch engagement/disengagement.

By the way, this type of flywheel was introduced in Europe about 20 years ago, initially by BMW on their diesel engines, and is now quite common on European cars. Initially it was plagued by problems, with many breaking prematurely under stress, but the technology has since progressed and become quite reliable. To the best of my knowledge, this is a first for Honda or any other Japanese manufacturer.
Stefano
I'm not sure that I understand your recommendation correctly, if your clutch is engaging in the first 1/3 of clutch travel, then your clutch is not behaving like mine is, mine doesn't engage until after it has traveled halfway through the pedal travel. As for the clutch being fully disengaged, I assume that when the pedal stops against the floor, the clutch pedal is fully disengaged, I always fully depress the clutch when I change gears.

I would also assume that if the clutch weren't fully disengaged, I would feel it when using the shifter, as well as smell the clutch burning?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

Hey Guys, you can adjust the height of clutch engagement very easily, just crack the lock nut where the pin goes thru the firewall and turn the pin counter clockwise a few rotations fixed, wont hurt anything unless you go too far
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry I think its clockwise turning the pin in
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Uneven clutch/brake pedal height

Just had my clutch replaced at 36k. After considerable discussions and debating with the local dealership, it was replaced under warranty, so they said, however they had me pay $500.' and maintained it was a goodwill gesture from Acura to keep me as a customer. Now like the guy who started this thread, I'm a little paranoid. It seems that the clutch pedal is now higher than the brake, and I don't remember if it was originally like that, or if it was adjusted wrong. Anybody can take a look at their pedal height and give me some feedback, I will surely appreciate it.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I wonder if any of this is related to the clutch delay valve.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
OP, here you go... very easy.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showt...t=clutch+throw
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's hard to drive this car smoothly..
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
My concern is not the clutch engagement point, but rather the actual height of the clutch pedal in relation to the brake pedal. I have had the car since new and don't remember the clutch pedal being higher than the brake pedal. The dealership told me that they tinkered with the clutch pedal height and bled the system by hand after the new clutch was installed. If it isn't adjusted to factory specs they I'll take it back and ask them to correct it. So my question again, to anybody out there with a 6MT 4G is, are your clutch and brake pedals different heights? or are they adjusted to same height?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor

I have a 2010 6mt, Last september I had the clutch replaced on my car due to it being completely worn out. It was covered under warranty although the service manager was very rude to me about my driving habits. Since then I feel like the clutch engagement point has been getting farther up the travel of the clutch pedal and harder to tell exactly when it will engage. I'm wary to ask the dealer as I'd prefer to never do business with them again. I could always just drive to another dealer...

Is this normal or am I going to have to deal with getting it looked at?

Thanks for any input.
maddogtheta
May be a bit too late, but seems you encountered the same issue I just had with my 6MT 4G at the dealer. How many miles did you have on the car when you needed the new clutch?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 91lgndsdn
My concern is not the clutch engagement point, but rather the actual height of the clutch pedal in relation to the brake pedal. I have had the car since new and don't remember the clutch pedal being higher than the brake pedal. The dealership told me that they tinkered with the clutch pedal height and bled the system by hand after the new clutch was installed. If it isn't adjusted to factory specs they I'll take it back and ask them to correct it. So my question again, to anybody out there with a 6MT 4G is, are your clutch and brake pedals different heights? or are they adjusted to same height?
My clutch pedal is basically flush with my brake pedal.

ETA: And I can imagine it being annoying to drive a car with it any higher. I can rest my left heal on the floor and pivot on and off the clutch pedal. Any higher and I don't think driving would be so easy.

Last edited by ABDomega; 04-11-2014 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
91lgndsdn (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
So my question again, to anybody out there with a 6MT 4G is, are your clutch and brake pedals different heights? or are they adjusted to same height?
I'll try to remember to check later today. If I don't post by tonight shoot me a PM and I'll have a reply to you quickly.
91lgndsdn (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
It's a hydraulic clutch system. No cables. Check your fluid and bleed the lines before adjusting anything.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by d1sturb3d119
It's a hydraulic clutch system. No cables. Check your fluid and bleed the lines before adjusting anything.
Oh I'm not about to start adjusting anything. I just had a new clutch installed by Acura so if it needs adjustments to OEM specs they going to have to fix it.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Oh I'm not about to start adjusting anything. I just had a new clutch installed by Acura so if it needs adjustments to OEM specs they going to have to fix it.
Ah ok. Yeah smarter. Should be free considering the time frame within which you got it done.
91lgndsdn (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Just confirmed my clutch pedal sits an inch or so higher (prob a little less) than the brake pedal.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Just confirmed my clutch pedal sits an inch or so higher (prob a little less) than the brake pedal.
Ever had the clutch replaced or adjusted by anybody?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Drifting

^^^No, original clutch and never adjusted.
91lgndsdn (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Instructor

How do you like the Magnaflows on your 6MT SH-AWD?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Drifting

I really like the Magnaflows. I didn't want anything too loud and the Magnaflows are perfect (a very mild tone).