4G TL Transmission Shudder at low speeds Possible Fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 PM
2011 SHAWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4G TL Transmission Shudder at low speeds Possible Fix

I have a 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD with about 160k. Got it at 92k. Previously owned by an older gentleman.

I have been a mechanic for about 6 years and counting, so all the services were done on time and in between service intervals.
I noticed shutters a few months after purchasing the vehicle. I figured the services were neglected as there were no records at Acura of any service. So, I performed all the services to my satisfaction. (transmission drain and fill until the fluid turned red). Even then the shudders did not go away. I realized that the shudders were only at low rpm and speeds, so I started to drive a bit more aggressively to make the transmission downshift often so that I don't have to deal with the shudder.

I got the notice for the Takeda Air Bag recall, and when I dropped off my car the service advisor told me that there was a recall for the torque converter, so I had the advisor perform the repairs. Right after the service, I noticed that the transmission was hesitant at up shift for the first few times. (possibly because of the update resetting the computer). After driving for about 10 minutes I realized that the shudder is completely gone and I can comfortably drive at low RPMs without the transmission feeling like it's seizing up. I guess I can expect better mileage as I don't have to step on it all the time to have the transmission in a lower gear. Also, the jerk that I had when I went from Park to Drive is gone too.

The service was an update to the software and one drain and fill (about 3.0l) of transmission oil.
My advice to pass on from a transmission rebuilder is that " since Honda transmissions don't have an accessible transmission filter, perform service at an earlier mileage" I personally perform transmission service at every 50k. Hope this helps someone else, as I could not find any other info on this issue. From ProDemand I realized that this recall was implemented in November of 2016 for anyone that is curious.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
FIrst of all this is not the same transmission as the older v6 Hondas and Acuras. I'd say that what your rebuilder said applies to BAYA and MAYA transmissions, but not to this relatively new one in the 4th gen TL. Actually if you didn't service the older transmissions just in time, they would die from clogged valve bodies, sticky actuators and toasted clutch packs. If you did service them often (above the call of duty) they could go on for ever...

Now, the real issue with the 4th gen TL is lack of low end torque, combined with the Honda/Acura objective for low emissions and better mileage. Hack the software to give that engine some more low end torque and all its transmission problems are gone... i.e. the torque converter will lock 4th gear at low RPMs. But out the door goes all the low emissions certifications etc. Does Honda care care about their low emissions commitment or customer satisfaction ? You tell me !

Some people have successfully fixed the issue with no software updates, after it re-appeared after the original software update (circa 2012) was done. They increased the exhaust flow using the usual methods (i.e. better j-pipe, 3rd cat delete, etc).
Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM
2011 SHAWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its good to know that the old transmission is gone. I had a 3rd Gen TL before this and I had a few people that had their transmission replaced. (i was lucky to have gotten a 6-Speed). God I miss my old TL

I didn't realize that there was an initial upgrade back in 2012. ( i got the car in 2015). The problem is that not everyone wants to hack the software or even play with mods ( The old me would have done it the day I got the car ) because I got the car so that I don't have to do anything to it and just keep it classy. Hence why I figured people may want to try this as it is free.

One thing I forgot to add initially was that if the shudders don't go away they will replace the torque converter for you under warranty. ( there are some criteria to match, such as total km on the car and age of the vehicle) unfortunately, I don't have that info.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajan_8
its good to know that the old transmission is gone. I had a 3rd Gen TL before this and I had a few people that had their transmission replaced. (i was lucky to have gotten a 6-Speed). God I miss my old TL

I didn't realize that there was an initial upgrade back in 2012. ( i got the car in 2015). The problem is that not everyone wants to hack the software or even play with mods ( The old me would have done it the day I got the car ) because I got the car so that I don't have to do anything to it and just keep it classy. Hence why I figured people may want to try this as it is free.

One thing I forgot to add initially was that if the shudders don't go away they will replace the torque converter for you under warranty. ( there are some criteria to match, such as total km on the car and age of the vehicle) unfortunately, I don't have that info.
Hope this helps
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-033.PDF
The following users liked this post:
Kajan_8 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by Lee C
The interesting part about that service bulletin is that they recommend 3.6 quarts, instead of the 3 quarts in the shop repair manual for regular transmission oil change. Are they admitting the original 3 was wrong? Some of us have found out that it really takes 3.6 and not 3. Interesting...

Other interesting part is that there is no provision to roll back the software if the update seriously messes up things. Anyone in the software world knows that its a good practice to have a back up plan. But I guess Honda doesn't build software to know all that?
Old 01-29-2017, 07:26 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

(correction, sorry that PDF file was about the FWD, not the SHAWD that indeed takes 3 quarts)

PS. yes me too missed my 3rd Gen TL so much
Old 02-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that my 2012 TL Tech FWD is currently with Acura right now. It has 97K miles and I've owned it since 3k miles. I have experienced the shuttering since I've owned the car and have brought it to Acura about 5 times for investigation on the drivetrain. 1st visit they couldn't find an issue, 2nd they upgraded the software, 3rd they flushed the transmission and upgraded the software, 4th they replaced the torque converter and upgraded the software, then after multiple complaints and an appointment later they have decided to change out the transmission, for which they are doing right now - all covered under warranty. I went to couple different Acura dealerships that said they could not mimic my issue but finally found one in a better area that was very aware of the trouble with the transmission. I spoke with the master technician which stated this issue is very common with the 2012-2013 TL's. I am very happy with the service that I am getting from them and wanted to make all aware since this type of work can cost about 7-8k plus. If you are experiencing any shuttering what so ever, be sure to take your car in for an evaluation - it can save you lots of money because of the track record you will have of the complaints to Acura while still under warranty.