2012 TL Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL Timing Belt Question

Hey all,
I've had my 2012 TL SH-AWD for about a year now and recently had a tire rotation and oil change done at my Honda dealership. They said at 7 years or 105,000 miles (I'm at 103,000) I need a new timing belt, drive belt, water pump, and spark plugs for $1,200. A lot of people are telling me the timing belt part is a load of BS. Has anyone else been told this? I want to take good care of her but also don't want to get screwed. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
The timing belt part is the least BS of all of the others you mentioned. If it breaks, you've got a good 75% chance of your engine being damaged and needing to be overhauled or replaced. Having said that, many have gone well over the 105K mark without any trouble, but it's not good practice.

The water pump and drive belt are cheap and easily replaced along with the timing belt job. The reason for the cost of the timing belt service is largely labor. Quite a few things have to be disassembled. And while they're in there, it's good to just replace other things. If you have them do it, add the timing belt tensioner and pulley to the list of things for them to replace. It will only cost a bit more. And it's not unheard of for the tensioner to fail or the pulley to seize which will also ruin the belt and thus, the engine.

The only BS is the spark plugs. They charge a ton for them even though they can be had at around $8 each online. The parts are cheap and the job is simple and quick but they gouge for it. Unfortunately, dealers don't typically use parts that you bring in, otherwise I'd tell you to order the plugs yourself and have them change them (assuming you're not a DIYer and want to tackle it yourself). So you might be stuck at that price.

The other option is to take the car somewhere else such a good rated independent shop that has experience on Honda's and Acura's, and see how much they'd charge. $1200 for all of that is probably about average but I bet you could get a better price elsewhere. Some feel value in having the dealership do the job though. Although it's not the hardest timing belt job compared to other cars, it's still something that you really don't want to have done incorrectly.
The following 3 users liked this post by losiglow:
Ken1997TL (09-07-2019), manejer (09-07-2019), USofA (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,693 Likes on 6,707 Posts
Who are these, "lot of people" and why are you listening to them?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Who are these, "lot of people" and why are you listening to them?
A friend who went to auto trade school and various family members
Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,693 Likes on 6,707 Posts
Like losi said, shop around, it's definitely one of the very crucial maintenance items on these cars and if it breaks, you will risk catastrophic damage to your engine.

Check out a local Honda dealership, they've been known to have cheaper pricing.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Like losi said, shop around, it's definitely one of the very crucial maintenance items on these cars and if it breaks, you will risk catastrophic damage to your engine.

Check out a local Honda dealership, they've been known to have cheaper pricing.
My quote was from my Honda dealership
Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
The timing belt part is the least BS of all of the others you mentioned. If it breaks, you've got a good 75% chance of your engine being damaged and needing to be overhauled or replaced. Having said that, many have gone well over the 105K mark without any trouble, but it's not good practice.

The water pump and drive belt are cheap and easily replaced along with the timing belt job. The reason for the cost of the timing belt service is largely labor. Quite a few things have to be disassembled. And while they're in there, it's good to just replace other things. If you have them do it, add the timing belt tensioner and pulley to the list of things for them to replace. It will only cost a bit more. And it's not unheard of for the tensioner to fail or the pulley to seize which will also ruin the belt and thus, the engine.

The only BS is the spark plugs. They charge a ton for them even though they can be had at around $8 each online. The parts are cheap and the job is simple and quick but they gouge for it. Unfortunately, dealers don't typically use parts that you bring in, otherwise I'd tell you to order the plugs yourself and have them change them (assuming you're not a DIYer and want to tackle it yourself). So you might be stuck at that price.

The other option is to take the car somewhere else such a good rated independent shop that has experience on Honda's and Acura's, and see how much they'd charge. $1200 for all of that is probably about average but I bet you could get a better price elsewhere. Some feel value in having the dealership do the job though. Although it's not the hardest timing belt job compared to other cars, it's still something that you really don't want to have done incorrectly.
Thank you so much!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
The price the Honda dealer is quoting is actually pretty good. The Acura dealer quoted me over $1600 for the timing belt kit and all the other parts you should change. They also quoted me over $200 for the spark plugs. I think the timing belt is mostly for piece of mind, but like was mentioned, if it does brake, then you have many more issues and a much larger repair bill.

I'm sure its a good idea to shop around, but it seems like Honda is being fair. I would also suggest, they could find additional things to repair when they are in there. They got me for a leaky oil pump repair at $400 additional...
Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 AM
Why Boast!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can agree with that sentiment! I just had my timing belt break on me at 153k miles. Because of that my car wouldn’t start. So I went ahead and changed out a ton of stuff that was recommended in that “Tune up” maintenance and I will say that most of what was replaced looked extremely worn. I would buy out the parts myself and take it to a reputable shop. I think that my dealer wanted $2400 to perform the maintenance, most other shops were charging $1200-1500. Fortunately I have a mechanic buddy that took care of it all for me as a favor. Car feels brand new after. Anyway I would recommend the the maintenance be performed within the next 20k miles tops, just don’t take it to the dealer they rape you!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by manejer
I can agree with that sentiment! I just had my timing belt break on me at 153k miles. Because of that my car wouldn’t start. So I went ahead and changed out a ton of stuff that was recommended in that “Tune up” maintenance and I will say that most of what was replaced looked extremely worn. I would buy out the parts myself and take it to a reputable shop. I think that my dealer wanted $2400 to perform the maintenance, most other shops were charging $1200-1500. Fortunately I have a mechanic buddy that took care of it all for me as a favor. Car feels brand new after. Anyway I would recommend the the maintenance be performed within the next 20k miles tops, just don’t take it to the dealer they rape you!
So you had a TB break but you didn't bend any valves? Interesting.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
$1200 for all that is a decent price based on my experiences at Honda and Acura dealers. See if you can at least get a loaner car out of it