2009 TL-ShAWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TL-ShAWD

My '09 TL-Shawd , 76k mikes, just started giving the msg - battery not charging properly and the battery charge indicator sign comes up on the dash stays for 10-15 mins while driving & then goes off
Took it to dealer, says battery all fine , contacts were loose , all fixed now. after few days same trouble with battery charge indicator lighting up
Same dealer Sayd same thing abt loose contacts n shouldn't happen again
Happens 3rd time in 2 weeks , take it to diff dealer- says alternator needs replacement -cost 800 bucks (bore taxes)
Am thinking of getting it replaced outside - like a Goodyear store or Kauffman -their quote 435-550range
Would it have any major impact given the fact they won't be using the original replacent alternator part which I believe is a Denso. Pls advise !Thanks Guys!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
An easy test is to get your hands on a multimeter and see if you have 12v with the engine off. Start the engine and see if that number goes up to about 14v. If not then its the alternator. But these alternators are not the old total crap Delphi ones, but much better.

That being said, if you haven't changed the battery already on an 09 it is time to do so. Grab one from a store and throw it in yourself, its not that hard to do!

Part of the standard service test is for the techs at Acura to test the battery. I am seriously surprised of two things. First that an 09 battery is still alive and second that the techs there tested it and found it ok.

PS. Of course they said you need a new alternator... if the battery is dead then the alternator can't charge anything! So if the battery isn't charging that doesn't mean the charging system is bad, its the battery thats bad. Ask for a second opinion for the battery.

Last edited by Tonyware; 10-24-2014 at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Reorge (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
If this is the original battery just install a new one. Even if this is not the issue causing the MID message this old battery is going to leave you stranded someplace soon. IN my experience late model Honda/Acura alternator failures are very uncommon.

My Dad (08 Honda Odyssey) also got burned with the "needs a new alternator" routine from the dealer. Well it wasn't the alternator and he had to change the battery one week latter.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
An easy test is to get your hands on a multimeter and see if you have 12v with the engine off. Start the engine and see if that number goes up to about 14v. If not then its the alternator. But these alternators are not the old total crap Delphi ones, but much better.

That being said, if you haven't changed the battery already on an 09 it is time to do so. Grab one from a store and throw it in yourself, its not that hard to do!

Part of the standard service test is for the techs at Acura to test the battery. I am seriously surprised of two things. First that an 09 battery is still alive and second that the techs there tested it and found it ok.

PS. Of course they said you need a new alternator... if the battery is dead then the alternator can't charge anything! So if the battery isn't charging that doesn't mean the charging system is bad, its the battery thats bad. Ask for a second opinion for the battery.
Thanks for that. I got the battery checked out at a 3rd dealer and the tests came out normal -they also say it's the alternator gone bad - Denso replacement parts + labor comes to 715$
Am surprised too as there is no abnormal sounds emitting which is usually the case with a bad alternator
Going to take it outside for a non dealer opinion
Got a quote frm the Goodyear guys- Denso refurbushied with 2 yrs warranty -525$
Old 10-26-2014, 03:40 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
One more thing, if you do have to change the alternator make sure you get a refund for the "core", i.e. the old one. If dealers don't give you a discount for that, ask for the old part to be returned to you.

I agree with Reorge, the newer Denso are bulletproof, the older Delphi were total cr*p.