2009 TL SH-AWD w/ tech package reliability (for second hand purchase)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 TL SH-AWD w/ tech package reliability (for second hand purchase)?

I'm about to buy a second hand 2009 TL SH-AWD w/ tech package with about 120k km on it.

Any current owner of this model with higher mileage experienced big or recurring issues?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
There's two major issues you'll want to be aware of. The first is the oil consumption issue that is relatively widespread among the 3.7L engine. There's a huge thread on it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...mption-939258/

The second, and less major issue, is the propeller shaft bearing going out. That's about a $1500 fix from what I've heard. That's the shaft that sends power from the transmission back to the rear wheels.

Neither of those problems are present on every TL. But they're items to consider. I have the FWD version so I can't comment to the problems from first hand experience. FWD doesn't have a propeller shaft of course (no rear wheels to power) and has the smaller 3.5L engine which doesn't have the oil consumption issue like the 3.7L.

There's also the Takata airbag recall. You'd want to take the car to the dealer to make sure that's been done. It's free of course. While you're at it, make sure the firmware is up to date on the transmission. There were some torque converter issues with the transmission which were largely solved by a software update.

There are several minor issues but nothing out of the ordinary for any other car. Some have had their alternator go out as early at 60K miles but that's definitely been the exception. Mine went out at 165K miles but that's a pretty good run for an alternator. There's been some TSB's for some little things like interior rattles and some suspension noise but those aren't a big deal either. It's just the engine that can be an issue. There's really no way to fix it unfortunately. Some have even had their engine replaced by Acura only to have the problem reoccur later on. Others have used different oils which have helped mitigate the problem. Read that thread and decide if it's an issue you're willing to deal with if it started to occur (or is already occurring). One thing I'd make sure to do is check the oil level when you test drive the car. If it's considerably low, there's a good chance it's consuming oil. The "good" thing about the oil problem is that it doesn't necessarily affect the engines power or reliability. A lot of guys just live with it and top off the oil every couple of weeks.

That's largely it. There are a few minor issues here and there with some suspension noise and interior rattles but nothing else I'd consider deal breakers. My FWD has 172K miles on it and has been relatively trouble free.

Last edited by losiglow; 11-12-2018 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
el_fono (11-17-2018)