AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/)
-   -   '10 Steering Wheel Leather cracks (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/10-steering-wheel-leather-cracks-871988/)

SaNdSuKkA 10-22-2012 04:46 PM

'10 Steering Wheel Leather cracks

The steering wheel on my 2010 TL SH-AWD is cracking or getting some sort of ridged/ribbed texture to it. I don't remember hitting it when anything sharp like keys or rings (and my fiance can't drive a manual, so I know her ring isn't doing it). I haven't used any harsh cleaners are abrasives.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've had the steering wheel replaced once already for the same problem, but even this second one has developed the same issue. Dealer refuses to replace this time saying that it's normal wear and tear....

Ugh. Am I the only one with this issue? :zombie:

PS: I'll try to get some pics, but car is currently at dealer due to a whining sound when turning left. They are replacing steering wheel column.

potmilkz 10-22-2012 04:58 PM

how many miles do you have on the car?

pics can help too.

cagilber 10-23-2012 06:34 AM

I noticed on mine near the bottom left edge that it has a "rippled" / "cracked" texture to it where I scraped the pocket clip of my knife against it while getting in and out.

Ruby 10-23-2012 07:44 AM

As long as you clean it with warm water and a mild soap you should be fine.

kostantinos 10-23-2012 11:36 AM

it's happening on my 11 tsx
small hairline parallel cracks in 2 spots
Gotta ask the dealer to replace mine

SaNdSuKkA 10-24-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by cagilber (Post 14117893)
I noticed on mine near the bottom left edge that it has a "rippled" / "cracked" texture to it where I scraped the pocket clip of my knife against it while getting in and out.

Yes, that's a much better description, "rippled". Maybe I just have hit it with something and haven't realized it....oh well :(

Also, car has 35,650 miles on it.

SaNdSuKkA 11-06-2012 04:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are some pics. I'm a noob at uploading stuff. Hopefully it worksAttachment 112982

Attachment 112983

Mr Marco 11-06-2012 04:37 PM

YyyyIKES! Looks like sun damage to me. Is that the side or bottom?

SaNdSuKkA 11-06-2012 05:10 PM

It's all over really but the worst of it is on the bottom. Again, this is the second steering wheel with this problem. Do I put a sun shade all the time? No, but I do during the summer and when the sun's rays are most intense. These cracks seem to just show up the next time I get in the car. I figured the leather is wrapped to tight. :(

VQPower37 11-06-2012 05:13 PM

are u sure its not something ur wearing on ur hand like a glove or something? kinda looks like something dug into it a bit ...

just throwing a thought out there

SaNdSuKkA 11-07-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by VQPower37 (Post 14146465)
are u sure its not something ur wearing on ur hand like a glove or something? kinda looks like something dug into it a bit ...

just throwing a thought out there

Well I was convinced that wasn't possible, but considering the dealership doesn't believe me and no one else seems to have had this problem, I beginning to doubt myself :whyme:.

Ah well, such is life. Maybe if someone ends up having this problem in the future, they will find this thread and confirm that I might not be crazy :)

sebounet2005 11-07-2012 05:41 PM

Those kind of marks appears for me also, but it was due to my coat zipper rubing against the sterring wheel when going in or out of the car

djtanveer 11-07-2012 07:38 PM

I have a similar mark on mine that was caused by me. Im pretty sure this is some type of scratch since it looks almost the same. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.

carloverp 11-14-2012 01:52 PM

i have the exact same marks on mine but they arent as big, im wondering if theres a recall of this? :S

Samba 11-14-2012 07:16 PM

I have the same scratches, it was caused by my badge rubbing when getting in/out of the car.

Originally Posted by sebounet2005 (Post 14148816)
Those kind of marks appears for me also, but it was due to my coat zipper rubing against the sterring wheel when going in or out of the car

23109VC 11-17-2012 03:53 PM

are you the only one who drives the car? on a prior car, I suddenly noticed vertical scratches like this on my steering wheel.... my wife had JUST driven the car. I looked at her pants and she had some sort of zippers on her pants...and given she is short, she had the seat up close...so as she got in/out of the car, her zippers scraped all over the steering wheel.... it wasn't that bad and with some conditioning I got it to flatten out..but it was always there....

i wonder if somethingy ou are wearing, or someone else who drives your car... as they ingress/egress is scuffing the crap out of your steering wheel?

it looks like damage from scuffing / abrasion.. not from sun or wear and tear.. but that's just my thought.

ndnTL 11-27-2012 11:22 AM

I've got the same thing on my car (prob from my jeans and getting in and out). A shame the steering doesn't automatically lift up when you exit the vehicle. That would be an awesome feature (take notes Acura).

potmilkz 11-27-2012 12:05 PM

drop your seat lower, or make your steering wheel higher..

looks like your scratching your steering wheel when you get in the car..

what are the odds of this happening only on the parts where you can actually scrape your zipper or something against it while getting in the car..

i have 1 of these scratches on my steering wheel which was caused by me.. my zipper on my peacoat rubbed against it very hard which caused a half an inch mark just like that.

cagilber 11-27-2012 12:43 PM

Your photo looks exactly like the small spot of damage I did with my pocket knife clip on the lower left bottom of my steering wheel.

wreak 11-27-2012 02:33 PM

This can easily happen for anyone wearing a ring as well if you catch the wheel the wrong way.

potmilkz 11-27-2012 03:40 PM

i call this negligence..

stars_fan 11-27-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ndnTL (Post 14182035)
I've got the same thing on my car (prob from my jeans and getting in and out). A shame the steering doesn't automatically lift up when you exit the vehicle. That would be an awesome feature (take notes Acura).

It's just missing from the TL. My MDX has the auto steering column

wreak 11-27-2012 08:08 PM

Anyone agree that the leather on the steering wheel is kind of thin? It feels really soft but like it would damage really easily. The wheel on my 05 TSX felt like the leather was much thicker and durable.

kostantinos 08-19-2013 01:53 PM

happened to mine on my 11 tsx and 13 tsx
dealer wont do a thing

both times just from my hand swiping across
not sure why it happens, i smushed the leather down, and most of the visible damage went away, you can see small hairlines now.

has anyone called acura care?

potmilkz 08-19-2013 02:51 PM

keep it clean and always condition it.. my 2010 has virtually new.. i clean and condition it every month along with my seats.. you should see both my driver and passenger seat.. looks spanking new.

Packagingpro 08-19-2013 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can always get the wood steering wheel. I love the feel!

Attachment 89881

potmilkz 08-19-2013 07:05 PM

it looks good by itself.. but looks weird when your looking at it as a whole with the the interior.. it has to match and i must say.. it doesnt for our 4g unless your getting base model

Buckyten 08-20-2013 09:36 PM

I like the wood steering wheel

zapco 08-21-2013 10:00 AM

You rubbed it with something getting out.

My holster does that to my steering wheel too.

irischloealeck 08-25-2013 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by potmilkz (Post 14631142)
keep it clean and always condition it.. my 2010 has virtually new.. i clean and condition it every month along with my seats.. you should see both my driver and passenger seat.. looks spanking new.

Conditioning....We should all agree it's a must for leather.

Still can't find a product that can protect the leather while maintaining that matte brand new look.

I sympathise with. OP. My driver's seat makes me sad everytime I get in the car and see the wear marks .Mycar only has 50000 km

optimus prime 08-27-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by irischloealeck (Post 14639603)
Conditioning....We should all agree it's a must for leather.

Still can't find a product that can protect the leather while maintaining that matte brand new look.

I sympathise with. OP. My driver's seat makes me sad everytime I get in the car and see the wear marks .Mycar only has 50000 km

I am having really good results with the Mother's LeatherTech Moisture Infusion Gel Cream. Keeps that matte finish pretty well and is alleviating signs of leather cracking. I don't know if its too late for the OP's problem on the steering wheel, but its worth a shot.

Mr Marco 08-28-2013 09:11 AM

Sorry PackPro, I'm not feeling it. :sick:

potmilkz 08-28-2013 10:46 AM

yup... looks odd when only your steering and shift knob is wood rest is silver..

shurik74 08-28-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SaNdSuKkA (Post 14116711)
The steering wheel on my 2010 TL SH-AWD is cracking or getting some sort of ridged/ribbed texture to it. I don't remember hitting it when anything sharp like keys or rings (and my fiance can't drive a manual, so I know her ring isn't doing it). I haven't used any harsh cleaners are abrasives.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've had the steering wheel replaced once already for the same problem, but even this second one has developed the same issue. Dealer refuses to replace this time saying that it's normal wear and tear....

Ugh. Am I the only one with this issue? :zombie:

PS: I'll try to get some pics, but car is currently at dealer due to a whining sound when turning left. They are replacing steering wheel column.

I think I saw new OEM wheels for sale online for like $50-100. Buy one and replace yourself, very easy... my 2c

Packagingpro 08-28-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Marco (Post 14644211)
Sorry PackPro, I'm not feeling it. :sick:

I hear you about the look, I love the feel and would never get rid of it. In addition, I have the wood shift knob and my interior is parchment so it does blend. I drove my buddies TL the other day with the stock steering wheel and hated it.

potmilkz 08-28-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Packagingpro (Post 14645076)
I hear you about the look, I love the feel and would never get rid of it. In addition, I have the wood shift knob and my interior is parchment so it does blend. I drove my buddies TL the other day with the stock steering wheel and hated it.

still.. you have like 4 different colors as far as interior colors go..

black dash, silver trim, tan seats and door panels and wood steering wheel

the base model has wood trim you should get it to match.

Packagingpro 08-28-2013 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by potmilkz (Post 14645161)
still.. you have like 4 different colors as far as interior colors go..

black dash, silver trim, tan seats and door panels and wood steering wheel

the base model has wood trim you should get it to match.

Ill pass!