Somewhat Bittersweet Install of RonJon Grille

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhat Bittersweet Install of RonJon Grille

I always wanted a RJ grille for my SHAWD, but had some other vehicle projects that took precedence. But I couldn't pass up a great deal on a used RJ grille (thanks Blackura!!! ) and installed it today.

The good: this grille really, really transforms the look of the car. I honestly think it should have been factory equipment. Very classy design and looks perfect with the silver housing headlights.

The bad: I just can't get over the fit, especially at the top where it meets the hood. The gap is very noticeable. I looked at the RJ gallery and see that the fit varies for each grille, and it's just most obvious on white. We pushed and adjusted while tightening the bolts, but that's as good as it gets. I can tell it's as far back as it will get because it's lined up with the side pieces. There's no more wiggle room. Am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone have any ideas? Any calls from the governor? I'm really sad because this is the ONE THING I've always wanted for my TL But it looks like unless I can figure out a miracle, I am going to have the stock beak painted and then try to find a new home for the RJ grille.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn that sucks. I think this piece may be from one of the first batches that are apparantly the only batches affected by the gap problem (as was said by the dude from Hawaii)
The RJ grill is a nice design, but this is the main reason I never wanted to get an RJ grill. The fitment was never quite stock like on the ones that I have seen, but its not as noticeable on the darker colors like Pete's.
I thin the painted stock grill would have been a better choice. Nothing like being dissatisfied with a purchase..... sorry man.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
It's just one of those things, it is an aftermarket part, so it is expected. i do paint and body work. So I would be able to take that grille and make it fit, but in your situation, it might be best to put the stock grille back on, because you will always look at it when you come out,
Old 11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Instructor

I think this grille looks better than the stock painted grille, which is why I was holding out. I just want the stock fit.

I'm not prepared to try and resell this and then spend another $800 on another one on the hope that it will be better I just can't help but think it's something I did, as it looked better on Blackura's car!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nexson
It's just one of those things, it is an aftermarket part, so it is expected. i do paint and body work. So I would be able to take that grille and make it fit, but in your situation, it might be best to put the stock grille back on, because you will always look at it when you come out,
How would you do it?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:56 PM
COTM Coordinator

There isnt a way to get that adjustment unless you adjust the hood stops, but then you will have a gap on the sides of teh hood above the headlights.... worth a try though right?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM
-Brian

Wait, this grille cost $800?? OMG
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 PM
-Brian

To make the grille fit, just take down the high spots and then use reinforced body filler on the gaps to fill in the voids , then reinforce it from the backside. All this is done on the car, so that the grille is "fit" perfectly to its surroundings. It is not hard to do, just takes time, it would then need to be repainted.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 PM
COTM Coordinator

^yeah..... painted.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 PM
COTM Coordinator

To make the grille fit, just take down the high spots and then use reinforced body filler on the gaps to fill in the voids , then reinforce it from the backside. All this is done on the car, so that the grille is "fit" perfectly to its surroundings. It is not hard to do, just takes time, it would then need to be repainted.
That is a lot of work for a grill that should fit like stock...
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Instructor

New, it's $800 painted. But is that really surprising when you think about it? I mean, it's a completely NEW structure and shape that's researched, manufactured, painted, and shipped. Not to mention not many of them around, so you're not benefitting from the economies of scale. Working in a body shop, you shouldn't be shocked by the cost of anything pertaining to this stuff Not in the days when having a bumper painted is in the neighborhood of $500 and higher.

I paid $450 shipped.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 PM
-Brian

I'm still getting over the price, anyways I know the work involved in a special type of grille like this (R&D) (materials to make), so I respect that, however for a price like that, it should fit, correct.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Instructor

I'm thinking that I'm doing something wrong...if other people are rocking this grille with the right fitment...? Then it must be fixable?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM
-Brian

No, you just got a bad one, if it was going to fit, it would have fit.

its like a LEGO, it should fit into place. It doesn't.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Instructor

I'm going to give it another go tomorrow, see if I can push it up any further.

I still really love the grille, I think it looks incredible on these cars. I just want it to be a perfect fit because the design is perfect for the car!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:32 PM
-Brian

Originally Posted by PenguinTL
I'm going to give it another go tomorrow, see if I can push it up any further.

I still really love the grille, I think it looks incredible on these cars. I just want it to be a perfect fit because the design is perfect for the car!
If all else fails, try a hair blower to try and flex the grille. I wouldn't use a heat gun if your inexperienced.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 PM
COTM Coordinator

Have you tried adjusting the hood stops? I have heard this work for others...
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Not until tonight, Blackura provided some useful advice! I will be heading back out to the garage tomorrow

Always get useful information on the 'zine!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I think there were some threads around here that give the details on how to get the grill to fit better. Something about making the holes bigger for more wiggle room, and also about removing some material from the back as needed. I saw that grill in person on Blackura's ride, and I remember the gap being bigger because he didn't have the engine covers with the rubber seals under the hood, but still didn't seem as big as other photos you have.

I still don't think that his gap was as big as what you show in the photos, so I'm guessing there is still some working you can do to get it to fit better. I can't give you any specifics on the install, as I had mine done professionally. But I think that as long as they can get the gaps to even up, that will probably look the best. I'm sure they can also do some other stuff to make it fit better also, different adjustments and such.

Honestly, I don't think that looks bad at all. A little more adjustment, and I'm sure it will fit better. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by PenguinTL
Not until tonight, Blackura provided some useful advice! I will be heading back out to the garage tomorrow

Always get useful information on the 'zine!

Yea - he's got all the info on how he installed it, I'm sure you'll get it much better than what you have now.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Considering I've seen maybe all of 1 application where the grill actually looks like it fits ...
RonJon does some good work (was one of the first ((if not the first)) to purchase his Servos for my CL), but this piece just doesn't fit. No two ways about it. Too bad you didn't take a long hard look at the pictures when installed on Blackura's car. Hope you can do something with it too make it look like it should.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Actually I did, and I'm fine with the way it looked...

Thank you.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Just saw this thread now--

I would def try the things i recommended... also, alot of people did widen the holes for the 4 bolts on top, so you can push it back even further...

when me and my buddy installed, it took about 3-4 attempts to align, but there was still a gap.. and i was little bitter at first, but after a while, it just became normal to me

The weather stripping is a big win too... some people took the stripping off the OEM grille, and put in the RJ grille...

widening the holes will definitely fix it... also, where the grille meets the bumper, its important to get them as flush as possible (still should be a little variance though)

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:57 PM
I have car ADD

a few days after i installed it, i went up to Ron's place, and we adjusted it some more as well...

here are some pics from our attempt at aligning it

definitely just need to realign and keep trying to you'll get it better.. wish i could lend a hand!

this black one appears to have the weather stripping installed under the grille.. not sure if he DIY'ed or had it professionally installed

Last edited by BLACKURA_NY; 11-20-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I will widen the holes today, and look at the weatherstripping. I didn't even look at the back of the stocker
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

RonJon grill def looks good, but I think I actually like the grill better when its color matched to the car. IMO it just flows better
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Thank you, and I know what you mean. Just get used to the beak after awhile, so when you colormatch it, it just looks right!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
-Brian

I got another stock grille on order, in which I will go through the paint process with pictures in a thread.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I have car ADD

any luck today?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Instructor

I didn't get back out to the garage yesterday. Saturday was a modfest with also installing OEM nav in my Tundra, so I was just tooled out, lol. Had to catch up on other stuff around the house.

I will mess with it this weekend. It has to go in for an oil change and rattle repair this Wednesday, so hopefully I'll get it back in time.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Instructor

I got another stock grille on order, in which I will go through the paint process with pictures in a thread.
I have two other vehicles, so downtime was not an issue - but the RJ grille does make it nice to not have one pulled apart for a week!

Can't wait to see your pics. I am calling the dealer today for a quote on painting, just to see what it will run me.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
-Brian

typically around $250 they charge.

Be careful, if they don't do it right, it will chip.

I got the paint today and it cost me $40 for just 4oz of basecoat, holy moly basque red pearl is expensive!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
That was one of the first grilles we had, the Gen 1 if you will. We addressed the problems since then with 2mm larger holes and we builtm a Jig to use as a template before finalizing the QC on the grilles being shipped out. You can already tell, all TLs are not the same, so the same grille will fit two different TLs slightly different. If you make the 4 main holes larger, you will be able to tighten the bolts where it is gapped fine, then shift the area around the other holes until the gap is consistent and tighten to achieve an even spacing. As of now, there probably isn't enough platy to wiggle the grille to the same gap all around. If the middle of the grille is sunken in on your car (appears fine on blackuras, but then again, all Tl's are slightly different), use some washers under the area that needs to be higher, looks like the two primary holes closest to the center would need a washer or two as spacers to level out the height in relation with the hood.

Also, use the weather stripping from the OEM grille around the headlights and between the hood / grille, that will help alot in making the whole thing tighter.

Last edited by rondog; 11-23-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Thanks for chiming in! I will be retackling this on the weekend if Acura is done with it on Friday.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Instructor

Well I will not be able to try it again this weekend most likely, the dealership will have to order the seatbeat assembly and Honda parts is closed on Friday

But, as soon as I pulled into the service bay, the advisor immediately commented on how much nicer the RJ grille was compared to stock!

In the meantime I am driving a ZDX again. I love this quirky thing
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

I got the paint today and it cost me $40 for just 4oz of basecoat, holy moly basque red pearl is expensive!
Is there a way to paint your grill to guarantee no paint chips? Or are you better off using vinyl?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
-Brian

there is no way to paint anything to guarentee zero rock chips, however you can reduce the chance of rock chips by using using 2k primer and sealer, to create a strong bond.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also considering putting this grille on my CBP, so I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm weighing that option against a paint match for the stock edition.

Just to get this straight you're saying to paint match it should cost around $250? I like both ideas so if paint matching is cheaper I might just do that. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

there is no way to paint anything to guarentee zero rock chips, however you can reduce the chance of rock chips by using using 2k primer and sealer, to create a strong bond.
how do you feel about using vinyl?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

and if you get your grill painted and it does chip, can you touch it up, or would you have to repaint the whole thing?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Instructor

I am working a deal to trade in my current TL, so this grille may be for sale after this evening. Please let me know if you are interested!

I never did expand the holes (yes, I am lazy lol) so this will be something the next owner can experiment with per RonJon's instructions!

Quick Reply: Somewhat Bittersweet Install of RonJon Grille