HeartTL's 2nd 4G Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
HeartTL's 2nd 4G Build Thread

So as many of you know I previously had a palladium/ebony 09' AWD/TECH TL, which I loved dearly:

The first time around I committed the mistake of not documenting my progress and of trying to save a few dollars here and there, getting what I found acceptable and not what I really wanted. Having learned from my mistakes here's my build thread. I still don't have a proper DSLR, but that's on the way. For now the poor quality pictures were taken with an iphone4 and the slightly better ones with an iphone5.

Unfortunately due to circumstances in and out of my control the 09' took a beating. Eventually, although it looked great, accidents had rendered the car a mechanical mess, as documented in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/buyer-beware-2009-acura-tl-19uua96569a004326-883054/. Worst of all I was upside down on the car and knew I had to get out of it ASAP. After months of looking I cam across a 12' AWD/ADV, CBP/Umber, clean title TL, with 21k miles for 33k at a Hyundai dealership . Little did they know my unassuming demeanor helped disguise how over matched they were and a week later the 12' was mine:

I didn't want a black car because of the exterior maintenance required but because of my particular situation, I couldn't pass up on this golden opportunity, plus the umber interior won me over.

My first mod was to remove all the ugly amber/clear bulbs and replace them with chrome bulbs that light up in the proper color and lip kit shortly thereafter:

Before:

After:

Kit on:

I also took the opportunity to install my 21mm wheel spacers, HID fogs and matching low beams. In these pictures the light output looks a lot more blue than it does in person:

Next the tints need to be changed, the previous owner had a very light tint which didn't obscure nosy motorists eyes of my cabin, so I went with 20% 3M color stable film, all around:

That's all I have time for now, I have plenty more pictures to upload. I'll try to get a few more up today. Enjoy, comment, let me know what you think; part of why I'm making a build thread this time around is to benefit from the collective opinion of AZ'ers
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Looking sharp already
Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts
Congrats on another 4G! Looking good so far. At least you have the proper knowledge and can build this one the way you want it with no regrets. Good luck with the CBP.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Before proceeding with more pictures I'd like to thank Merlin, Mike, Potmilk, BuddyTL, Juan, Njsimons, Nexson, Alexander and a few others I can recall at the moment for helping me mod my car whether through guidance, letting me use their shop, recommending the right shop or hands on help, you've all been invaluable to my car's progression.

Next was the roof spoiler and debading the rear:

I really liked BuddyTL's TL and wanted to something along those lines but a little different, after discussing whether to wrap or paint the exterior chrome/silver trim pieces I decided to have them painted. His are wrapped. Thank you Nexson for the awesome work, I've never gotten a package wrapped as securely as the one you sent:

I've yet to install the pieces. I'm waiting to get a full detail from Phil @ DD's and some light paint work to fix some scuffs and blemishes left by the previous owner. After which I'll have the trim pieces installed and from the mirrors onward the entire front clear bra'd.

Having learned from past experience, I knew a few HP could be unlock from the 3.7 with bolt on's. This time around though I wanted a more luxurious ride and therefore decided to sell the XLR8 catback and only install RV6 HFPC/Long Jpipe, a lightweight crank pulley and the CT-E icebox. The best way to decribe the car now is that there is noticeably more power on tap but theres no drone or obnoxious noise(s); total stealth mode. I'll get a sound clip up in the next few weeks.

Removing rear cat:

Ice box in:

I'm considering the magnaflow exhaust mod to unlock the hew HP there, but my exhaust note is perfect as is and I'd really hate to ruin it.

While installing the performance mods, I also took the change to clean up some very dirty rotors:

I used two wire brushes (one large, one small), plenty of brake cleaner, some MF towels and A LOT of elbow grease:

I taped off the hub/rotor screws and sprayed the hubs/calipers with 3 coats of silver:

Some goodies came in shortly thereafter:

Which I installed that weekend. TEIN SS w/ EDFC, installed flawlessly by Elite Auto Works. They also rolled my rear fenders; butter smooth:
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Coming up, detail, paint correction, clear bra, wheels and maybe a front windshield tint.
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (10-10-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great so far
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Damn man... Haha you did a lot! Looks great!

So the HFPC, is the noise noticeable at all? Definitely looking forward to a sound clip. If its not that noticeable and actually add power then I'm definitely getting them. I'm a FWD but I would imagine I would still pick up some HP.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Looking sharp already
I'm just playing catchup. I might need a set of the sweet custom illuminated door sills!

Originally Posted by ActRightSB
Congrats on another 4G! Looking good so far. At least you have the proper knowledge and can build this one the way you want it with no regrets. Good luck with the CBP.
Thanks, yea I definitely learned from my mistakes

Originally Posted by Leebog
looks great so far
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Matts_Acura
Damn man... Haha you did a lot! Looks great!

So the HFPC, is the noise noticeable at all? Definitely looking forward to a sound clip. If its not that noticeable and actually add power then I'm definitely getting them. I'm a FWD but I would imagine I would still pick up some HP.
Thank you. Yea I put my work in quickly, on the down low .

Not that my car can even reach a Ferrari 458's ankles but the 458 has 3 exhaust pipes, one for around town driving and then all three open up when you change the driving mode or WOT. If you've heard it driving around town you wouldn't know the beast of an engine/power that lurks in the trunk. I see my TL like that ATM. There's zero drone, car isn't loud during startup. The only time you hear the car is during WOT, and it sounds amazing. In comparison to my setup with XLR8, which I feel as though it personified "bark worse than bite". In it's own right it also sounded amazing but that's not something I'd want again on a daily driver.

Edit: I feel as though the 5spd AT is faster than the 6spd AT, after mods and I don't know which mods provided the largest gains since I installed all of them on the same day.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 05-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Old 05-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Lol great description of your car's power. I had thought about doing PCD's but after reading a few threads in the 3G forums and the complaints of rasping I was like nah. I'm thinking of doing the icebox (when it comes out for FWD) and the HFPC; should give me a little more pep then just the jpipe. I decided against full exhaust because of the drone and noise when just driving normally around town. Your setup sounds like you get the best of both worlds.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Hey Carlos, that's what we're here for, We give each other guidance and help each other out. I have my car ready so I'll post some pics ASAP.

Funny thing is that I was able to recommend you to elite because of trial and erorr. BTW the car is coming along nicely, can't wait for the shoes to come in.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-12-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Looks great man. I want to get the roof spoiler for mine next and paint the front grill and rear shield. Just haven't felt like taking the bumpers off to get then off again. :/ hehe.

Wish Nexon was near me so I could have him paint my stuff!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
look great hope to see it again soon
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by types1fan
Hey Carlos, that's what we're here for, We give each other guidance and help each other out. I have my car ready so I'll post some pics ASAP.
Funny thing is that I was able to recommend you to elite because of trial and erorr. BTW the car is coming along nicely, can't wait for the shoes to come in.
AZ is amazing the collective wealth of knowledge here is immense. Your car already looks great. Thanks!

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Looks great man. I want to get the roof spoiler for mine next and paint the front grill and rear shield. Just haven't felt like taking the bumpers off to get then off again. :/ hehe.

Wish Nexon was near me so I could have him paint my stuff!
Thank you! I actually ordered an extra set, had them mailed directly to Nexson, he did his thing and mailed them back. Although it costs a little more I suggest going this route incase you need to repaint anything due to dmg (rock chips), you have another set readily available.

Excuse my grammatical and spelling mistakes, I typed most this thread from my phone
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Wow Carlos you kept everything on the hush and load all tons of photos with the upgrades. The TL looks very elegant. I've been thinking about our conversation about the HFPC. Looking forward to see what else you have under your sleeves.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
AZ is amazing the collective wealth of knowledge here is immense. Your car already looks great. Thanks!

Thank you! I actually ordered an extra set, had them mailed directly to Nexson, he did his thing and mailed them back. Although it costs a little more I suggest going this route incase you need to repaint anything due to dmg (rock chips), you have another set readily available.

Excuse my grammatical and spelling mistakes, I typed most this thread from my phone
Do you still have your originals? :P
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Hey Carlos - it's about time you start a thread for your new TL! I look forward to your updates, I like what you have done already.

Will you be keeping your HPT wheels or maybe sell?
The following users liked this post:
B.G. (05-09-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Ryan

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Carlos, congrats on the '12 TL...gonna be a sweet looking ride!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts
looking great!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
well i guess its time to change your avatar..
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Very nice work.

Can't wait to see more mods and more pics coming up.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Looking nice!!! I can already see that youll make this one look so much better than the last.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matts_Acura
Lol great description of your car's power. I had thought about doing PCD's but after reading a few threads in the 3G forums and the complaints of rasping I was like nah. I'm thinking of doing the icebox (when it comes out for FWD) and the HFPC; should give me a little more pep then just the jpipe. I decided against full exhaust because of the drone and noise when just driving normally around town. Your setup sounds like you get the best of both worlds.
Smart choice!

Originally Posted by Vidol642
look great hope to see it again soon
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Zelaya
Wow Carlos you kept everything on the hush and load all tons of photos with the upgrades. The TL looks very elegant. I've been thinking about our conversation about the HFPC. Looking forward to see what else you have under your sleeves.
Hahaha, I don't do it intentionally I just never think to stop and take a picture of what I'm doing. This time around I really tried to take pictures of me doing small DIY mods like the driver/passanger foot light, 1/2 way through I said F this and just finished it without taking anymore pictures lol . Theres just a few things left to do. The down side doing all the mods so quickly is that soon there will be nothing left to mod

Do you still have your originals? :P
I do, they're still on the car, I'm not too keen on selling them but I can help you get them for less than what other online merchants are charging.

Originally Posted by LawnPro
Hey Carlos - it's about time you start a thread for your new TL! I look forward to your updates, I like what you have done already.

Will you be keeping your HPT wheels or maybe sell?
Thank you! I will, I plan on using them as my winter set. Although these tires haven't impressed me with their performance capabilities their longevity has. The original owner put just under 20k miles on the car and the thread depth was still 10/32.

Originally Posted by TL_MDX
Carlos, congrats on the '12 TL...gonna be a sweet looking ride!
Thank you, I'm working hard on making sure it is!

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
looking great!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by potmilkz
well i guess its time to change your avatar..
Not until I get wheels or at least a decent picture of the 12'.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Very nice work.

Can't wait to see more mods and more pics coming up.
Thank you, I have a few misc ones I might put up of me trying to do DIY's, and failing.

Originally Posted by manutd
Looking nice!!! I can already see that youll make this one look so much better than the last.
Thanks, it shouldn't be too hard to do either
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice...quick progress LOL. So...what kind of rims you have in mind? What setup you going for?

And dang man! The iPhone pics are horrible!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-12-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Nice...quick progress LOL. So...what kind of rims you have in mind? What setup you going for?

And dang man! The iphone pics are horrible!
Thanks. I want something very concave. 10.5" all around is very likely, I won't be getting Vossen's though; I want something different. I'm still debating forged vs cast. Both of the wheel brands I'm considering 1 other member has. Horrible is putting it midly. I need that camera ASAP!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
looks great, i finally got my wheels on, was going to do a little thread for the community, but i got rear ended on my way home from work last week and am in the midst of insurance/body shop BS, so the thread will have to wait a week or so.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
09 TL Tech

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice set of rims and your good to go! Im guessing you don't have those jnc headlights for sale anymore? Car looks great!!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Thanks and lets talk about getting those two items for less. PM me when you get a chance. Our MDX just got into an accident so now this may delay that for a bit but I can at least be prepared.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Booya4139
looks great, i finally got my wheels on, was going to do a little thread for the community, but i got rear ended on my way home from work last week and am in the midst of insurance/body shop BS, so the thread will have to wait a week or so.
Thank you. Yea, I can't wait to put them on! PM me when you have a chance. Theres something interesting you might be able to do regarding the MVA.

Originally Posted by 04actright
Nice set of rims and your good to go! Im guessing you don't have those jnc headlights for sale anymore? Car looks great!!
No, I traded the old TL with them still on. AZ'ers slept on the quick part out opportunity . Thank you!

Thanks and lets talk about getting those two items for less. PM me when you get a chance. Our MDX just got into an accident so now this may delay that for a bit but I can at least be prepared.
I'll pm you what I paid tomorrow, need to locate the invoice. All together in my opinion the cost how parts and labor from Nexson wasn't all that much.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
did you do spacers all the way around? what sizes? what brand spacers did you use?

any pics from the sides/quarter angles that show how the wheels sit within teh wheel wells... showing they are flush vs. sunk in?

thanks.

your car looks great!

what do you mean you think the 5AT is faster than the 6AT?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 23109VC
did you do spacers all the way around? what sizes? what brand spacers did you use?

Yes, all around. 21mm. I got them Motorsport technology.

any pics from the sides/quarter angles that show how the wheels sit within teh wheel wells... showing they are flush vs. sunk in?

I currently don't have any of those but if the weather is nice, I'll wash the car and take some pictures of those angles this weekend. The wheels are not sucken in and the tires are flush to the fender.

thanks.

your car looks great!

Thank you!

what do you mean you think the 5AT is faster than the 6AT?

Just what I said, I feel as though after my mods were put in the 5spd AT is faster than the 6spd AT with all my mods in. I think it's because the 5spd didn't shift for you when in "S" mode, which allowed me to go well beyond the normal rev limit of around 6k (with mods), it would let me go just past 7k so when I shifted into the 2nd/3rd gear I was higher in the rev range and a strong(?) part of the power band.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Great progress so far.

How do you like the pulley? Did it increase any power? Is it safe to be put on G4

I know that on my Jetta V the pulley was a big no, no.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sympley
Great progress so far.

How do you like the pulley? Did it increase any power? Is it safe to be put on G4

I know that on my Jetta V the pulley was a big no, no.
I like the pulley, I had it on my previous 4G and debated whether I should put it on this TL. Most the guys I asked, who's opinions/experiences I greatly respect advised me not to install it. Only one person insisted there was no need to fear based on his experiences, analysis and research. I thought about what he said and though to myself "I had this mod on my TL already for over 20k miles and nothing bad ever happed". I'm not saying something bad can't happen, I'm just saying it hasn't and I don't know a person who has experienced drivetrain or engine failure because of it as a stand alone. I have heard of people with light weight pulley/flywheel that have had failures.

All that being said I really like some characteristics of the pulley:
-There is a small increase in power thought the power band.
-The throttle is more responsive
-The car revs significantly faster and make the car feel fast.

The negative(s):
-Just like the car rev's up faster it also rev'd down faster, which if you have your foot off the gas makes you feel as if you're engine braking.
-There's one more negative I can't think of. When I do I'll post it up.

Why is it a no no on the jetta?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Yay or nay:
Old 05-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Yay or nay:
hard to say without them on the car. I like the satin finish.

Speaking of which, what are you doing with the advanced rims?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
I guess is base on personal preference but if I have give my 2 cents I would say " Nay" I'm sure you're keeping the advance wheels for winter setup.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Nay,nay, I saw those today and they look small because the spoke don't go all the way.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Nay,nay, I saw those today and they look small because the spoke don't go all the way.
I concur...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Drifting

I'll be keeping my stockies for winter. Odie is trying to push those wheels hardcore. I liked them from the picture he sent, but everywhere else I saw them made me feel as though it's not a 4G appropriate wheel.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Odie is trying to push those wheels hardcore. I liked them from the picture he sent, but everywhere else I saw them made me feel as though it's not a 4G appropriate wheel.
Yeah with Concave the spokes have to touch the lip... or you loose some of the concaveness... +3 on the nah... Check out Concavo Wheels... New Company they should about now of just came out with a 5 spoke with the offsets for the 4g... I was talking to them back when I did the CV3's and the wait was going to be to long... but they should be out or real close now... I liked the thought of being the first with them... They also had a split 5 that was already in the states... I may be able to go back in my email and find the guys email address if you like them...

Quick Reply: HeartTL's 2nd 4G Build Thread