XLR8 vs ATLP Opinions Please

Old 11-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
XLR8 vs ATLP Opinions Please

Hi guys, I have an 2010 Acura TL FWD, after watching so many videos, I am still having a problem making a decision.

Can Someone Help Me Please!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Our XLR8 exhaust is made from U.S. grade stainless steel, is manufactured here in the U.S., and provides some good horsepower gains. We have free shipping on our exhausts right now! At this time you'd be looking at $1,149 shipped to the continental 48 U.S.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Both good options. Slightly different tone. XLR8 has more of an exotic tone. I personally went with ATLP but do have it paired with XLR8 V2 jpipe.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Another option you can look into are the Endless RPM catbacks, private labeled thru magnaflow and maybe a little cheaper. There are several people who have them and love them because it has less drone. I myself choose the XLR8 catback because I like the exhaust note. It makes nice gains with a jpipe and custom tune.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
they are all too loud IMHO...
Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
they are all too loud IMHO...
Hopefully the Tanabe Medalion Touring will be released for the 4G soon so that people have a more subtle option.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Guys, I still don't know which one I want to buy!!! Additionally, after speaking with the dealership they said my warrantee would be voided if I do any mod including aftermarket exhaust pipes
Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by John35205
Guys, I still don't know which one I want to buy!!! Additionally, after speaking with the dealership they said my warrantee would be voided if I do any mod including aftermarket exhaust pipes
For exhaust? Thats a first.... honestly what sound are you looking for? They are many options out there. Are you looking loud to turn heads? Or something that when you turn your car on you know it's on.
The following users liked this post:
John35205 (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
For exhaust? Thats a first.... honestly what sound are you looking for? They are many options out there. Are you looking loud to turn heads? Or something that when you turn your car on you know it's on.
I just want something that sounds awesome, but not as loud as some cars on the street. That will attract to many cops.....especially my driving style (sometimes).
Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You can't go wrong with either one. Flip a coin.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TacoBello
You can't go wrong with either one. Flip a coin.

Haha, I wish! Guys, should I go with the XLR8?
Old 11-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Dude, which LOOK do you prefer? Get that one.

Both are high quality products. Both do the same job. Both will help you get what you're looking for.

Honestly, I'd say looks are more important. While they may slightly sound different, neither sounds horrible. You will see it lots though, whenever you walk up to your car, or take photos, or whatever.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Dude, which LOOK do you prefer? Get that one.

Both are high quality products. Both do the same job. Both will help you get what you're looking for.

Honestly, I'd say looks are more important. While they may slightly sound different, neither sounds horrible. You will see it lots though, whenever you walk up to your car, or take photos, or whatever.
Dawg, after watching those videos. I feel they are wayyyy tooooo loud. I am a tax accountant, what would you think if you are my client or my manager and found that I drive a loud ass car like that. I could of chose the wrong profession, hahahaha.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
I just want something that sounds awesome, but not as loud as some cars on the street. That will attract to many cops.....especially my driving style (sometimes).

Based on what you said ^^, stay away from both. Take the money and purchase a J Pipe and HFPC. This combo will add some sound and improve performance.
HeartTLs (11-28-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Dawg, after watching those videos. I feel they are wayyyy tooooo loud. I am a tax accountant, what would you think if you are my client or my manager and found that I drive a loud ass car like that. I could of chose the wrong profession, hahahaha.
The ATLP is not loud on my car. It sounds like a sporty exhaust, but at cruising speeds it isn't all that loud at all. Just a mild hum. When I have clients in my car, they're always like "oh, I see you're a car enthusiast. Cool!", but no one has ever complained about it being too loud. Conversations in the car are NEVER a problem. No raised voices. Nothing. Same with using Bluetooth. Never an issue.

If you're worried about noise, why are you even considering an exhaust? Why do you care what your boss thinks about your car? You should tell him to shut the fuck up and mind his own business, and if he doesn't like it, kindly let him know that he can start driving from now on, as your job isn't supposed to be his chauffeur. Same with the clients. Tell them to fuck right off if they don't like it. They don't pay you to listen to a quiet exhaust. They pay you to do their taxes. I can understand requiring a semi professional looking car, but that exhaust will not make your car unbearable.

Also, with those exhaust sound recordings, you need to keep in mind that you have no idea what sensitivity the mics were at.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Sorry, I know I came off sounding like an asshole and that's not my intent, however, your job isn't to be a chauffeur and clients should respect that. It's not like your car is bright neon green, with 4 15" subs in the back, straight pipe exhaust with no muffler and underglow lighting.

No one should give you grief for a sporty sounding car. It really isn't that loud. However, it's generally a bit louder in the drivers seat, as opposed to any other seat in the car. The first time wifey drove my car, she was like "why is it louder all of a sudden?"

Again, it's not obnoxious loud. Just louder. And if that is still too loud, I believe the addition of resonators, etc, will quiet it down, but you'll likely lose some of that performance also.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Based on what you said ^^, stay away from both. Take the money and purchase a J Pipe and HFPC. This combo will add some sound and improve performance.
Thanks for the reply, but what is a HFPC? Should I get the ATLP or XLR8 J pipes?
Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Sorry, I know I came off sounding like an asshole and that's not my intent, however, your job isn't to be a chauffeur and clients should respect that. It's not like your car is bright neon green, with 4 15" subs in the back, straight pipe exhaust with no muffler and underglow lighting.

No one should give you grief for a sporty sounding car. It really isn't that loud. However, it's generally a bit louder in the drivers seat, as opposed to any other seat in the car. The first time wifey drove my car, she was like "why is it louder all of a sudden?"

Again, it's not obnoxious loud. Just louder. And if that is still too loud, I believe the addition of resonators, etc, will quiet it down, but you'll likely lose some of that performance also.

Dude, thanks for all the replies man. I really do appreciated it, I think you are right and I somewhat do agree with your opinion. I just don't want people think I am a immature prick just came out of college, haha. I just don't want overall too loud of the noise because I drive in NYC occasionally and those NYPD sometimes are a dick about those exhaust pipes and if you are stopped, you will end up with a fine.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

I haven't modded a single thing on my TL since I bought it, because the performance gains aren't worth the money required to invest. When I bought the car, though, it did have some parts already on it. I don't have an aftermarket j-pipe or hfpcs (high flow pre cats). I do have the ATLP exhaust and intake, though (mind you, I drive a 3G TL).

These exhausts are built by Acura- specific aftermarket companies and they didn't bastardize our cars by making the exhausts obnoxiously loud. You'll get a nice hum and a nice sound, but it won't be unbearable and it shouldn't get you in trouble either. I've driven past police, or driven alongside them many times and I've never been stopped once. It's honestly not that bad.

Also, by haying a j pipe and HFPCs, you'll likely end up with drone, or a sound you're not entirely happy with. By just doing the exhaust, I have a feeling you'd be pretty happy.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-27-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced

I haven't modded a single thing on my TL since I bought it, because the performance gains aren't worth the money required to invest. When I bought the car, though, it did have some parts already on it. I don't have an aftermarket j-pipe or hfpcs (high flow pre cats). I do have the ATLP exhaust and intake, though (mind you, I drive a 3G TL).

These exhausts are built by Acura- specific aftermarket companies and they didn't bastardize our cars by making the exhausts obnoxiously loud. You'll get a nice hum and a nice sound, but it won't be unbearable and it shouldn't get you in trouble either. I've driven past police, or driven alongside them many times and I've never been stopped once. It's honestly not that bad.

Also, by haying a j pipe and HFPCs, you'll likely end up with drone, or a sound you're not entirely happy with. By just doing the exhaust, I have a feeling you'd be pretty happy.

So, say going with the ATLP? PM your phone number, if you don't mind!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply, but what is a HFPC? Should I get the ATLP or XLR8 J pipes?
HFPC refer to high flow pre cats.
RV 6 as well as the other vendors you mentioned make quality products. Regardless of which after market cat back you choose you will have drone. It can get very annoying, while subjective the systems are also very loud. If you are looking to attract attention or enjoy loud systems then you should be okay.

I recommended the J Pipe and HFPC because it will enhance the tone of the stock system, be drone free, not overly loud and give you better performance than a cat back alone.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:51 PM
The Original Shawdy

But jpipe, hfpc or pcd with a catback nets the best gain.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Advanced

HFPC refer to high flow pre cats.
RV 6 as well as the other vendors you mentioned make quality products. Regardless of which after market cat back you choose you will have drone. It can get very annoying, while subjective the systems are also very loud. If you are looking to attract attention or enjoy loud systems then you should be okay.

I recommended the J Pipe and HFPC because it will enhance the tone of the stock system, be drone free, not overly loud and give you better performance than a cat back alone.
Okay, this is driving me nuts. I appreciate your information, is there anyway you can give me a sound clip? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:55 PM
The Original Shawdy

Not gonna be too much to hear with the factory exhaust. Yes it adds a little tone but nothing like catback.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
But jpipe, hfpc or pcd with a catback nets the best gain.
Not gonna be too much to hear with the factory exhaust. Yes it adds a little tone but nothing like catback.
The OP has repeatedly mentioned that he is not looking for something that is loud. There is no denying that many people have found the aftermarket systems mentioned loud and do drone,especially noticeable during city driving. Again, I repeat that this is subjective but compared to the stock system its darn loud.
Some members have added resonators, and dynamat to tone down these systems and some could not bear it and ended up selling them. I will also repeat, if the OP is comfortable with loud then go for the cat back.

I mentioned the JPipe / HFPC combo since it can offer a refined tone without being overly loud and for a similar cost of the Catback provide better performance.

In the end only the OP can decide what is suitable for him since we all have different thresholds for what we consider loud. I would advise him to try and listen to one of the systems in person before spending money on something that he is unsure of.

Okay, this is driving me nuts. I appreciate your information, is there anyway you can give me a sound clip? Thanks!
Sorry , the video clip I have in my build thread is with the JPipe / intake and for some reason it doesn't show. My car is stored for the Winter otherwise I would have recorded one for you.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Advanced

The OP has repeatedly mentioned that he is not looking for something that is loud. There is no denying that many people have found the aftermarket systems mentioned loud and do drone,especially noticeable during city driving. Again, I repeat that this is subjective but compared to the stock system its darn loud.
Some members have added resonators, and dynamat to tone down these systems and some could not bear it and ended up selling them. I will also repeat, if the OP is comfortable with loud then go for the cat back.

I mentioned the JPipe / HFPC combo since it can offer a refined tone without being overly loud and for a similar cost of the Catback provide better performance.

In the end only the OP can decide what is suitable for him since we all have different thresholds for what we consider loud. I would advise him to try and listen to one of the systems in person before spending money on something that he is unsure of.

Sorry , the video clip I have in my build thread is with the JPipe / intake and for some reason it doesn't show. My car is stored for the Winter otherwise I would have recorded one for you.

Thanks a lot for your help, I just spoke with HeelToe Automotive and they are willing to offer their cat back for 1162+plus shipping ($130 to Pennsylvania). I assume that is a great deal? I am just not comfortable buying yet because I don't know what I am walking in to. I just like how the G37s coupe sounds a lot, I don't want something crazy interns of the sound, I hate to grab any unnecessary attention. Anything louder than a stock M3 or the new Porch Macan will not be in my consideration. Any idea of the ATLP?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Thanks a lot for your help, I just spoke with HeelToe Automotive and they are willing to offer their cat back for 1162+plus shipping ($130 to Pennsylvania). I assume that is a great deal? I am just not comfortable buying yet because I don't know what I am walking in to. I just like how the G37s coupe sounds a lot, I don't want something crazy interns of the sound, I hate to grab any unnecessary attention. Anything louder than a stock M3 or the new Porch Macan will not be in my consideration. Any idea of the ATLP?

The ATLP system is a very good ( quality ) system. Few members have complained about the drone and several have also been very happy with it.

I believe that Heel Toe Automotive has reworked the system to address some of the issues that customers were unhappy with. You can discuss this with Marcus.

The G 35 unique sound has more to do with the engine than the exhaust system. The aftermarket systems for the TL will be louder than the stock sound of the G.

Last edited by KarKraze; 11-28-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Pro

You ain't looking loud but want a growl? Get the Borla. You will be find with that.

I have this set up right here and a on guy have a clip on here with this #40357 Borla ProXS.

If you find that to be to Quiet then Borla #40941 is highly recommend.

Seem like you have some cash flow for a exhaust set up. The ATLP exhaust is quieter to me but a lot of guys complain about the drone. I like how it looks.. I don't care for the price. The Xlr8 exhaust sounds sexy but it is loud. I would not do it.

Get you one of those Borla (I hope you choose the #40941) and a J-pipe RV6 has a sale right now as well. Think you will be satisfied.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Advanced

You ain't looking loud but want a growl? Get the Borla. You will be find with that.

I have this set up right here and a on guy have a clip on here with this #40357 Borla ProXS.

If you find that to be to Quiet then Borla #40941 is highly recommend.

Seem like you have some cash flow for a exhaust set up. The ATLP exhaust is quieter to me but a lot of guys complain about the drone. I like how it looks.. I don't care for the price. The Xlr8 exhaust sounds sexy but it is loud. I would not do it.

Get you one of those Borla (I hope you choose the #40941) and a J-pipe RV6 has a sale right now as well. Think you will be satisfied.
Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to have a link to these items you mentioned? I am new to exhaust systems, I am just starting to learn. Thank you very much for all the tips! I actually did renovate my car a lot, but I have never created threads or posted anything about it. I am eager to learn and share more information!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I read a handful of the responses and OP's post. I agree with what KarKraze said, HFPC/RV6 Jpipe. I also commute in NYC and sold my catback years ago because I was getting too much negative attention. Particular from NYPD, 3 exhaust tickets. You can't plea by mail for that, you have to waste a day in court, to do a pre-hearing. At the pre-hearing you're asked before a judge if you'd like to plead guilty or not guilty, this takes about 5 hours. If you choose to plead not guilty your given a future court date; that's another day you'll have to spend there if you choose to fight it. All that aside it was obnoxiously loud; ex would always know when I was on my way home from blocks away. Person I sound my xlr8 catback to (I'm sure I would've felt the same way had I bought an ATLP catback), ended up selling it too because after a while he also got sick of the noise.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I read a handful of the responses and OP's post. I agree with what KarKraze said, HFPC/RV6 Jpipe. I also commute in NYC and sold my catback years ago because I was getting too much negative attention. Particular from NYPD, 3 exhaust tickets. You can't plea by mail for that, you have to waste a day in court, to do a pre-hearing. At the pre-hearing you're asked before a judge if you'd like to plead guilty or not guilty, this takes about 5 hours. If you choose to plead not guilty your given a future court date; that's another day you'll have to spend there if you choose to fight it. All that aside it was obnoxiously loud; ex would always know when I was on my way home from blocks away. Person I sound my xlr8 catback to (I'm sure I would've felt the same way had I bought an ATLP catback), ended up selling it too because after a while he also got sick of the noise.

So as you mentioned, don't get those cat back pipes?
Old 11-28-2015, 11:55 PM
The Original Shawdy

Yes and I am just adding my input to help, that's what the forum is for. He started off asking about cat backs and doesn't know if he should go towards no exhaust and just cat replacement and j pipe or exhaust. I have been down this road so all input is useful but thanks for your response.

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 11-29-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
Hopefully the Tanabe Medalion Touring will be released for the 4G soon so that people have a more subtle option.
Is this a real thing? I looked on Tanabe's website and they don't mention anything about it in their blogs for upcoming products...
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Team Owner

Lol, OP, this topic is extremely subjective. Every member in here has a different opinion (and that's not a bad thing). I think you just need to jump on something and try it for yourself. If you're that hesitant, then just don't do it.

I dunno if the sound deadening between the 3G and 4G is all that different (I'd expect the 4G to be better though), but as I was driving 70-75 mph yesterday on the freeway, I had the radio on (news radio, because I'm old balls ) and I was having a normal conversation about the news with Wifey, who was sitting shot gun, while listening to the radio, which was on at level 7. I dunno what the radio maxes out at, but 7 is NOT loud. I think it goes up, close to 40.

Is there more drone than stock? Well seeing as stock doesn't have any drone whatsoever, yes, this has more drone. Is the drone/volume unbearable? Maybe there's a big difference with a 4G and ATLP exhaust and a 3G with ATLP exhaust, but if this is loud for some guys, I dunno why they even thought about getting an exhaust. What were they expecting?

I know, I know

OP, buy something. Whatever you like. Get it installed. See if you like it. If not, take it off, put your stock exhaust back on and sell the other one. I'm sure you would get most of your money back if you don't like it. Or, sell it, again, at a minor loss and try another brand. Count it as a lesson learned.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-29-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Yes and I am just adding my input to help, that's what the forum is for. He started off asking about cat backs and doesn't know if he should go towards no exhaust and just cat replacement and j pipe or exhaust. I have been down this road so all input is useful but thanks for your response.
I didn't mean to be critical of your comments, apologies if it sounded that way In the end we are all trying to assist the OP, he has had really good advise from everyone.
carbonTSEX (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Drifting

I don't recommend you buy it, but we might have different tastes. I think initially you'll love it under tunnels and raised subways, the roar is awesome. Then the smiles will pass and the annoying drone with stay.

To add to what Taco said although XLR8, ATLP, Megan and now that it's launched Endless exhausts go on sale, and yet 2nd hand they're still very difficult to sell even if you offer it at a discounted price. Catbacks are big and heavy, they're hard and expensive to ship so you may be limited to selling it locally which greatly decreases your market pool. What kind of message does that send if you buy a catback and then shortly thereafter you sell it? It's not good enough for me or my tastes but I'm sure you'll love it? Lol. Something else I've noticed about the 4G crowd, the majority are CHEAP, they want it all at ridiculous prices. If you buy it make sure you want it because I foresee a lot of frustration on your end if you try to sell it 2nd hand.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 11-29-2015 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HeartTLs:
JT4 (12-17-2015), KarKraze (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Pro

Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to have a link to these items you mentioned? I am new to exhaust systems, I am just starting to learn. Thank you very much for all the tips! I actually did renovate my car a lot, but I have never created threads or posted anything about it. I am eager to learn and share more information!
This is the one I'm recommending if your looking for that sound it's not loud but have a deep sound to it. Get 2 of theses and use either your stock tips or do what most guys do here get the dual exhaust tip from EBAY.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/borl...-racing-40941/

This the J-Pipe
https://www.heeltoeauto.com/xlr8-per...e-fwd-ua8.html

This is the one I have
http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/borl...-pro-xs-40357/

It's not loud it has the sound of I have something and you have to have an ear for exhaust to know. I am going to upgrade to a different one same company and put this one on my wife Accord.

Now at the end of the day it your money your car. I ain't familiar with NYC but if HEARTLs say NY porkies can be an ass then my recommendation to you is this. Get J-pipe and get the Borla in the first link I send you (That site $25 OFF $275 or more. Use code:SMOKE) and they have free shipping. Now with the Borla I have I took the resonators off after a yr because I felt it was to quiet. Cant lie it sounds better but slight drone is there. When you get this exhaust install take your resonators and mid muffler (think FWD have it) off and see how you feel about it. If you feel that drone is to loud put it back on and you will be fine. To my knowledge you going to be the first one with the XR-1'S on here if you do decided to go with it send us a clip. Also make sure you fine a good Exhaust Performance Shop.

Last edited by CruzanTLSH-AWD; 11-29-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: correct info needed
Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Pro

I don't recommend you buy it, but we might have different tastes. I think initially you'll love it under tunnels and raised subways, the roar is awesome. Then the smiles will pass and the annoying drone with stay.

To add to what taco said although XLR8, ATLP, Megan and now that it's launched I doubt Endless exhausts go on sale, 2nd hand they're very difficult to sell even if you offer it at a discounted price. Catbacks are big and heavy, they're hard and expensive to ship so you may be limited to selling it locally which greatly decreases your market pool. What kind of message does that send if you buy a catback and then shortly thereafter you sell it? It's not good enough for me or my tastes but I'm sure you'll love it? Lol. Something else I've noticed about the 4G crowd, the majority are CHEAP, they want it all at ridiculous prices. If you buy it make sure you want it because I foresee a lot of frustration on your end if you try to sell it 2nd hand.
I cosign this STATEMENT.
The following 2 users liked this post by CruzanTLSH-AWD:
HeartTLs (11-29-2015), KarKraze (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Here's my 09', XLR8 catback, RV6 long J pipe and HFPC:
Loud and wonderful.

After I got sick of the noise and dedicated to performance, I ditched the catback (PITA to sell, buyer eventually sold it as well), switched to PCD and have never been happier with my exhaust note.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Drifting

To add to what Taco said although XLR8, ATLP, Megan and now that it's launched Endless exhausts go on sale, and yet 2nd hand they're still very difficult to sell even if you offer it at a discounted price. Catbacks are big and heavy, they're hard and expensive to ship so you may be limited to selling it locally which greatly decreases your market pool. What kind of message does that send if you buy a catback and then shortly thereafter you sell it? It's not good enough for me or my tastes but I'm sure you'll love it? Lol. Something else I've noticed about the 4G crowd, the majority are CHEAP, they want it all at ridiculous prices. If you buy it make sure you want it because I foresee a lot of frustration on your end if you try to sell it 2nd hand.
I cosign this STATEMENT.
And I bear witness
HeartTLs (11-29-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XLR8 vs ATLP Opinions Please