XLR8 V2 J Pipe Impressions and Q about RV6 J Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014 | 10:29 AM
CLS^6

XLR8 V2 J Pipe Impressions and Q about RV6 J Pipe

Hi guys,

Debating buying the new RV6 J Pipe versus the XLR8 V2 I just installed.

The only major difference I see between the pipes is the merge collector size of 2.75 inch on the XLR8 pipe vs 3.0 inch on the RV6. I think on a FI engine, this could definitely matter. But on NA, I wonder if the larger collector takes away from low rpm throttle response but potentially better high rpm flow.

Is there really a discernable difference between the two??? Also, if the RV6 has thicker walls it might provide better sound attenuation which would interest me.

I currently have the XLR8 V2 J Pipe (sold to me by fellow member Buffa who was great to deal with btw).

Car:
- 2009 TL SH Auto
- ODO at 40,000 miles

What was done:
- Install XLR8 V2 J Pipe
- Transmission drain and fill with OEM DW1 fluid
- Oil change with Dino Pennzoil Yellow 5w20 (sticking with dino oil on 5,000 miles OCI with OEM acura oil filter)

Impressions:
- Without a doubt, a power increase you can feel. Car seems more willing to spin tires even at low rpm light throttle.
- For the first time, the car was able to actually spin up to 7,000 rpm in first 2 gears whereas before it would always shift at 6,500 or so. Car felt "plugged up" beyond 6,000 rpm before.
- I don't personally think there is any torque loss or loss in throttle response
- Change in exhaust tone is a very nice upgrade. I see no reason to change the cat-back setup.
- Transmission fluid change definitely smoothed out the shifts and the transmission just feels better behaved now.
- Oil change was done at 50% oil life on MID however I was down about a quart.
- Car was dealer serviced from 2009-2014.

Negatives:
- I think the J pipe makes the floor boards buzz ever so slightly at low rpm or briefly when doing a hard launch.
--> As my car is a 2009, I didn't install the spacers for the subframe connector. It looks like there is a lot of clearance... what could this be??? I have read maybe the exaust hanger needs to be bent but again I see a lot of clearance everywhere

Concerns
- Anyone concerned that removed the heat shield that is on the stock J pipe places the driveshaft assembly (closest to factory heat shield on stock j pipe) at risk of heat exposure over time? Why would Acura waste money putting a heat shield there in the first place...
- Will the factory ECU tune the gains out? That is my worry. If it does, the mods are worthless. Not willing to disconnect battery each time I wish to feel a little more power

Bottom line: Great upgrade

Next up: UR Pulley
Old 12-16-2014 | 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

We're glad you're enjoying the J-Pipe so far The J-Pipe shouldn't be causing any buzz or vibration like that. Make sure there isn't any metal on metal contact somewhere else in the exhaust system.

Our V2 J-Pipe has a couple of benefits. The T304 stainless steel used to make our J-Pipes is U.S. grade and sourced here. Our V2 J-Pipe is also manufactured here in the U.S. and held to very high manufacturing standards. This adds up to a quality product that will last a long time and have guaranteed fitment.

Last edited by ExcelerateRep; 12-16-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2014 | 12:49 AM
Drifting

could you pass CA smog with this installed??

1) could you possibly make it past a visual inspection? could they miss this or woudl it be an instant bust?

2) assuming you coudl somehow make it past the visual inspection - would the tailpipe emissions be altered?

how long have you driven on it to form these impressions? are you convinced the car pulls harder?
Old 12-17-2014 | 09:49 AM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by 23109VC

1) could you possibly make it past a visual inspection? could they miss this or woudl it be an instant bust?

2) assuming you coudl somehow make it past the visual inspection - would the tailpipe emissions be altered?

how long have you driven on it to form these impressions? are you convinced the car pulls harder?
Hi,
I can't answer your smog questions but as for impressions, its been a week. I will reserve further judgement until I have put maybe a 1,000 miles on the car with the mod. I can say for certain that winding out the gears is way more satisfying now. You really notice the difference between 6,000-7,000 rpm range. I think below 4,000 it is very similar to stock if not the same.

J motors want to rev and this is one of those mods that helps the motor move air high up in the rev range.
Old 12-17-2014 | 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 23109VC

Could you possibly make it past inspection? It's definitely possible, as the two precats that are monitored are still present. Would they miss it? It probably depends on if they inspect a lot of TL's and know to look for the third cat. Would it be an instant bust? There's no way for me to tell.

The tailpipe emissions will obviously be a little bit altered as you are removing a cat from the system, but you still have the two precats that do a lot to keep emissions down. There's no way for me to guarantee you would pass a sniff test. It depends on the condition of your vehicle, your precats, and what the test is like. Basically, there are so many variables there's really no definitive answer any of us can give you.

The one definitive answer I can give is that our V2 J-Pipe will add power gains. Dyno tests on an '07 TL-S with just an intake showed a 19whp and 30tq increase.
Old 12-17-2014 | 11:45 AM
Instructor

Do dealers try and void your warranty for deleting the 3rd cat ??? Anyone have experience ??
Old 12-19-2014 | 12:45 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm sure they would love any reason to void it, though I haven't had any experience with that scenario or heard of it happening. As you said it would be nice to have some feedback from people who have had experience going to a dealership with a J-Pipe installed.