STOPTECH Big Brake Kit by Excelerate Performance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I'd like to get an idea if the original 3 people are still interested. The last 2 on the list are current but how about the first 3?
I'm willing to donate my car for the fitment and stuff since I don't use my car that much because I use my motorcycle as a DD, dont have the funds at the moment, especially if its for the full price of the BBK.

-DeL
Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Ok so FallenTSX can be our test fitter but we still need 5 purchasers. We have 2 recent additions but who else is in?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

It's time to resurrect this thread. We are just about to finish our 2nd and 3rd gen TL BBK by STOPTECH and I think it's a great time to get this project going, seeing that there is a lot of interest in BBK's recently. All we need is a test fitter to begin and 5 people interested in purchasing. So let's create a new list.

Remember this will be an XLR8 Big Brake Kit engineered and manufactured by STOPTECH. It will include 4 piston calipers (red, black or silver), 355mm 2 piece discs with aluminum hubs and curved vanes, STOPTECH Performance pads, stainless steel brake lines, caliper brackets and hardware. The kit will go for about $2195 shipped to the cont 48 US Here is a picture for reference:

Also, one of the reasons we chose STOPTECH is because they put a significant amount of R&D behind every kit. They don't just slap on a big caliper with oversized pistons. They design a kit based on how it will perform. The BBK will actually reduce stopping distances, unlike many of the kits on the market.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Apple tech needing a h22a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btt
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Is fallentsx still test fitting? I'm guessing test fit will be done in AZ as well?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Thought there already was a bbk for the 4G TL that you were already selling Josh?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Racer

It's time to resurrect this thread. We are just about to finish our 2nd and 3rd gen TL BBK by STOPTECH and I think it's a great time to get this project going, seeing that there is a lot of interest in BBK's recently. All we need is a test fitter to begin and 5 people interested in purchasing. So let's create a new list.

Remember this will be an XLR8 Big Brake Kit engineered and manufactured by STOPTECH. It will include 4 piston calipers (red, black or silver), 355mm 2 piece discs with aluminum hubs and curved vanes, STOPTECH Performance pads, stainless steel brake lines, caliper brackets and hardware. The kit will go for about $2195 shipped to the cont 48 US Here is a picture for reference:

Also, one of the reasons we chose STOPTECH is because they put a significant amount of R&D behind every kit. They don't just slap on a big caliper with oversized pistons. They design a kit based on how it will perform. The BBK will actually reduce stopping distances, unlike many of the kits on the market.
Not sure if you still considering me as a Test Fitter, but I still am willing to help out, especially since STOPTECH is like 5 min from where I work and 20 min from where I live...

-DeL
The following users liked this post:
eazy (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Clearance will be key. I'm just gonna have to hold myself back til some R&D starts
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Based on the Rotora BBK - you'll need spacers with the factory 18's.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Whoops, forgot the other bbk is made by Rotora.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Whoops, forgot the other bbk is made by Rotora.
I just have to throw my .02 as a Rotora user for the last few years.

I would never buy a Rotora kit as long as you have kits like Stoptech for about the same price if it's performance or ethics you're after. Rotora does not properly size piston area to make up for the larger rotors so you end up with more front bias and longer than stock braking distances. I have measurements over 20 stops with the stock brakes and with the Rotoras on the same patch of road and on the same tires.

Many won't care about business ethics but I'll throw this out there. I bought my Rotora BBK a few years ago. They used the 1pc rotors. I've been through several sets of pads but this time I developed a large crack in one of the rotors. I was annoyed but figured I would just order a pair of new rotors. Well come to find out the 1pc rotors have been discontinued. No problem, I'll order the more expensive 2pc rotors. That won't work either because the caliper meant for the narrower 1pc rotor is too narrow for the wider 2pc rotor. So what I was faced with is replacing both the calipers and rotors leaving only the stainless lines and mounting brackets remaining of the original kit.

Rotora was nice enough to offer the 2pc kit for only $995 AFTER they received my old kit. So my daily driver would be down for at least 2 weeks and it would cost me $950. No stock of the 1pc rotors. No announcement so those of us with the 1pc kit could stock up. I had a cure though. I bought the Stoptech kit.

The Rotora kits look nice but they're not really used on any serious cars. Stoptech has a rich racing history behind it and I've seen some of the extensive testing they do on regular factory cars. Rotora seems to just slap whatever caliper and rotor will fit on there and leave it at that.
The following 3 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Alexander. (02-14-2013), HeartTLs (02-18-2012), jangkai (02-20-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Drifting

I hate cars thanks for the info, I know nothing about bbk's and would appreciate any other useful information you might have!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

What about your package that includes STOPTECH Drilled and Slotted Rotors with STOPTECH Ceramic Pads - Front and Rear? How would they compare? What are the differences? Sorry for the dumb Q.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FallenTSX
Not sure if you still considering me as a Test Fitter, but I still am willing to help out, especially since STOPTECH is like 5 min from where I work and 20 min from where I live...

-DeL
Yes, that would be great if you could be the test fitter. Are you interested in purchasing the kit at a discount or you just want to be the test fitter?

Originally Posted by Altegris
What about your package that includes STOPTECH Drilled and Slotted Rotors with STOPTECH Ceramic Pads - Front and Rear? How would they compare? What are the differences? Sorry for the dumb Q.
What we're talking about in this thread is a Big Brake Kit with larger rotors, pads, and larger 4 piston calipers. The brake package works with the factory caliper. The brake package is a significant upgrade over stock and it includes all 4 rotors and pads. The BBK is only for the front but it is a significant upgrade over the brake package. The BBK offers less brake fade, less chance of distortion, lighter weight, better heat dissipation, and more equal dispersion of brake force (4 pistons apply evenly against pad instead of a single piston applying against pad).
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
The BBK offers less brake fade, less chance of distortion, lighter weight, better heat dissipation, and more equal dispersion of brake force (4 pistons apply evenly against pad instead of a single piston applying against pad).
Just as an FYI -- OEM's are dual front piston calipers, rears are single...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Racer

Yes, that would be great if you could be the test fitter. Are you interested in purchasing the kit at a discount or you just want to be the test fitter?
I wouldn't mind purchasing depending on how much I can get for it, however, the earliest for me to purchase it would most likely be in June. PM the price if you can. Let me know, Thanks!

-DEL
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jnc2000
Just as an FYI -- OEM's are dual front piston calipers, rears are single...
Yes, was thinking of 3G TL's. Sorry. Either way, the principle still applies. 4 pistons pushing equally on both sides is superior to 2 pistons pushing on one side.

I wouldn't mind purchasing depending on how much I can get for it, however, the earliest for me to purchase it would most likely be in June. PM the price if you can. Let me know, Thanks!

-DEL
Excelerate Performance is proud to announce a strategic partnership with STOPTECH in producing a Big Brake Kit for the 09+ TL. To make this BBK come closer to reality and production I am going to need 6 purchasers. We will also need a test-fitter in the So Cal so that we can produce the kit. Based on our experience and speaking with STOPTECH I'm thinking a 4-piston 355mm disc will be the best setup.

There will be a choice of red, black or silver calipers; drilled rotors will be $100 extra and zinc coating will be $70 extra. Anyone who purchases on the initial run will get the kit for $2195 shipped to the cont 48 US for the standard color/slotted rotor combination. We will need a 50% deposit up front for the BBK and 50% will be due when the parts are ready to ship.

So those of you who were on the list and who are ready to pull the trigger please re-confirm your name. We are ready to move forward with the R&D phase and I need to get names and deposits. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
2010 SH-AWD TL

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, was thinking of 3G TL's. Sorry. Either way, the principle still applies. 4 pistons pushing equally on both sides is superior to 2 pistons pushing on one side.

Excelerate Performance is proud to announce a strategic partnership with STOPTECH in producing a Big Brake Kit for the 09+ TL. To make this BBK come closer to reality and production I am going to need 6 purchasers. We will also need a test-fitter in the So Cal so that we can produce the kit. Based on our experience and speaking with STOPTECH I'm thinking a 4-piston 355mm disc will be the best setup.

There will be a choice of red, black or silver calipers; drilled rotors will be $100 extra and zinc coating will be $70 extra. Anyone who purchases on the initial run will get the kit for $2195 shipped to the cont 48 US for the standard color/slotted rotor combination. We will need a 50% deposit up front for the BBK and 50% will be due when the parts are ready to ship.

So those of you who were on the list and who are ready to pull the trigger please re-confirm your name. We are ready to move forward with the R&D phase and I need to get names and deposits. Thanks.
I live in SoCal and I can be a test fitter.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

I need a list of 5 people before we proceed with test fitment. And the test fitter will get the BBK for about 20% less than the sale pricing and free installation. However the test fitter will need to provide their vehicle for 2 separate full days.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Racer

I need a list of 5 people before we proceed with test fitment. And the test fitter will get the BBK for about 20% less than the sale pricing and free installation. However the test fitter will need to provide their vehicle for 2 separate full days.
So, am I not the test fitter no more??
Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 AM
2010 SH-AWD TL

Oh, then I can't, its my only car.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
2010 SH-AWD TL

My bad dude....I guess you still are.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Just a question, this is for the front only not the entire BBK?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by suros10
My bad dude....I guess you still are.
No worries, Josh hasn't really said that I was officially i guess...So I am not sure
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I haven't made that determination yet. Typically whoever the test fitter is needs to have the BBK on their car because they need to do a driving evaluation and they aren't going to remove the BBK afterwards. Before I even worry about who is going to be the test fitter we need to get a list of people interested.

Originally Posted by types1fan
Just a question, this is for the front only not the entire BBK?
Yes, this is for the front BBK. A rear BBK is unnecessary as only 25% of the braking is done in the rear typically.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts

Yes, this is for the front BBK. A rear BBK is unnecessary as only 25% of the braking is done in the rear typically.
But then it will look way better with a matching set of calipers front and rear.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
But then it will look way better with a matching set of calipers front and rear.
I ordered mine with the black calipers for this very reason. It's not very noticeable, low maintenence and you can paint your rears to match without people realizing they're painted.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Well a front and rear BBK would easily cost $5k. However, I have no desire to create a rear BBK for this vehicle. STOPTECH took a lot of time developing a rear BBK for the TSX and I've never even sold one and I highly doubt they sold many either. It's a waste of time and money IMO. Sure, it would look better but for $2500-$3000 more it's not worth it. I have two 500+ HP vehicles and both have STOPTECH front BBK's only. I painted the rear caliper to match and called it a day. The difference was night and day after the front BBK installation and it was one of the best mods I've done on either car, aesthetically and mechanically.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Racer

I haven't made that determination yet. Typically whoever the test fitter is needs to have the BBK on their car because they need to do a driving evaluation and they aren't going to remove the BBK afterwards. Before I even worry about who is going to be the test fitter we need to get a list of people interested.
Well, whatever you decision is, just wanted to let you know if you need a donor car, i'm game.

-DeL
Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
6G TLX-S

Well a front and rear BBK would easily cost $5k. However, I have no desire to create a rear BBK for this vehicle. STOPTECH took a lot of time developing a rear BBK for the TSX and I've never even sold one and I highly doubt they sold many either. It's a waste of time and money IMO. Sure, it would look better but for $2500-$3000 more it's not worth it. I have two 500+ HP vehicles and both have STOPTECH front BBK's only. I painted the rear caliper to match and called it a day. The difference was night and day after the front BBK installation and it was one of the best mods I've done on either car, aesthetically and mechanically.
Is it possible to have STOPTECH to make available a set of direct bolt-on OEM-sized rear calipers with the same matching finish as the front BBK, for a couple hundred dollars (not thousands) more ?

The key is cheap price, but still looks good; since you mentioned that a rear BBK is useless in function anyway.

This way, with matching front and rear aftermarket calipers, I'm sure it'll make the front BBK look attractive to even more customers.

To be honest, a car with front BBK and rear OEM calipers looks very odd-ball indeed. This may be one of the reasons why so few people are showing interest.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 02-23-2012 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alienstudio (02-24-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
^^ that is exactly what I was thinking, it would look odd.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
It's what the 07 TL-S had - front Brembo BBK and rear "normal" calipers. It was pretty successful.

Honestly - if you get Black front BBK, paint the rears black, it would look awesome, and 3k less than full BBK.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Is it possible to have STOPTECH to make available a set of direct bolt-on OEM-sized rear calipers with the same matching finish as the front BBK, for a couple hundred dollars (not thousands) more ?

The key is cheap price, but still looks good; since you mentioned that a rear BBK is useless in function anyway.

This way, with matching front and rear aftermarket calipers, I'm sure it'll make the front BBK look attractive to even more customers.

To be honest, a car with front BBK and rear OEM calipers looks very odd-ball indeed. This may be one of the reasons why so few people are showing interest.
I can't imagine too many people would pay thousands of dollars for matching brakes when there's no performance to be gained. A caliper alone will be $800+.

Rotora makes a rear 13" kit. It might impress kids but when I see a nose heavy FWD car with a BBK on the rear the first thing that comes to mind is poser. Rotora is not exactly known for their racing heritage like Stoptech so it's no surprise Rotora makes a rear kit and Stoptech does not.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I can test fit in ct , but I would do the install myself... I don't like anyone touching my car but me....
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I can't imagine too many people would pay thousands of dollars for matching brakes when there's no performance to be gained. A caliper alone will be $800+.

Rotora makes a rear 13" kit. It might impress kids but when I see a nose heavy FWD car with a BBK on the rear the first thing that comes to mind is poser. Rotora is not exactly known for their racing heritage like Stoptech so it's no surprise Rotora makes a rear kit and Stoptech does not.
Rotora makes a BBK rear kit for the 4G that is 14". I have the Rotora BBK on my car front and rear for sometime now and haven't had any issues. The car stops on a dime and the Rotora BBK is far superior to OEM brakes. There's no comparison.
The rear BBK that Rotora makes for the 4G is a huge improvement over the stock brakes looks and performance wish. Here's an example when i had my OEM E-brake I had to pull extremely hard to hold the car in place on a slight decline. Now with the rear Rotora BBK a slight pull on E-brake and the car stops. I've been to several race tracks and have seen GTR, BMW M, Supra's etc. with Rotora BBK. There were some issues years back with their brake system but within the last few years Rotora has significantly upgraded there brake system.

i could go on but this thread is about STOP-Tech BBK not Rotora personal reviews... and i agree with some of the other post the car does looks odd when you have a nice BBK in the front and a rusty painted rear OEM caliper with small rotors in the rear.
For those that want the rear StopTech BBK they should have that option. my.

Last edited by FYAH TL; 02-23-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FYAH TL
Rotora makes a BBK rear kit for the 4G that is 14". I have the Rotora BBK on my car front and rear for sometime now and haven't had any issues. The car stops on a dime and the Rotora BBK is far superior to OEM brakes. There's no comparison.
The rear BBK that Rotora makes for the 4G is a huge improvement over the stock brakes looks and performance wish. Here's an example when i had my OEM E-brake I had to pull extremely hard to hold the car in place on a slight decline. Now with the rear Rotora BBK a slight pull on E-brake and the car stops. I've been to several race tracks and have seen GTR, BMW M, Supra's etc. with Rotora BBK. There were some issues years back with their brake system but within the last few years Rotora has significantly upgraded there brake system.

i could go on but this thread is about STOP-Tech BBK not Rotora personal reviews... and i agree with some of the other post the car does looks odd when you have a nice BBK in the front and a rusty painted rear OEM caliper with small rotors in the rear.
For those that want the rear StopTech BBK they should have that option. my.
So you want to get snooty.

Rotora is junk for track use. I've been to the track many times as well but I was in my TL driving it with the Rotora BBK so I have a little experience with this

The first problem is stopping distances increased over the stock 11.8" brakes. Rotora does not take brake bias into account. You end up with a heavily front biased system that will not stop as short as stock brakes in a single stop. I did more than 10 stops with cool down between stops with each brake setup on the same tires and the same road.

Second, I still had to run race pads for track use because with only 258hp and 3500lbs they were fading. The main reason I wanted a BBK was to not have to swap out pads.

Third, I got about a hundred cracks in the rotors with the final blow being a crack all the way through the rotor becoming a safety hazard. This crack developed from street use.

Fourth, increased pedal travel because theres more piston area than stock.

So saying it "stops on a dime" and "far superior to stock brakes theres no comparison" is very educational and all but this is just your subjective opinion, the numbers tell a different story. I'm sure they stop your car just fine from redlight to redlight but if you took the time to measure stopping distances or took it to the track you would realize you spent thousands on looks. 14" rears are just retarded.

Why do people become so brand loyal that they get so defensive over an inanimate object. I ran rotora for nearly 4 years. I would never run them again based on their performance and business practices. Stoptech is the superior performer. Rotoras look nice. Whats the big deal?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 AM
6G TLX-S

If you read my previous post (#70) carefully, you'll notice that I didn't ask for a full-blown thousands-dollar rear BBK kit, but simply a direct-bolt-on OEM-sized rear caliper with the same professional matching finish as the front BBK, and costing only hundreds of dollars after deducting core charge.

I, too, can't imagine too many people would pay hundreds of dollars for some heavy-ass (even heavier than stock) 19"/20"/21" rims with which the extra dead weight will actually hurt performance, let alone performance gain. But still many DID, for what ? For the look of it. They simply like the look of these big rims.

There are many people who are willing to spend $$ not on performance, but on making their cars look better; and I'm pretty sure that a car with BBK front calipers and matching-finish rear calipers will also LOOK BETTER than one with BBK front and OEM rear calipers.

Besides, when even the RonJon front grille costs hundreds of dollars, so I don't think a couple more hundred dollars for a set of matching-look rear calipers is too out of reach for most who want their front-BBK'ed cars to look more complete.

Of course, DIY'ers can spray paint the rear OEM calipers by themselves. But throughout the 2G and 3G forums, members have reported back that they are not getting good results with DIY-painted calipers. They've tried numerous brake-caliper and even hi-heat paints, but the paint finishes all end up either flaking off or pitting heavily after some time and especially through harsh winter punishments.

That's why it is best to let the professional (a.k.a. BBK manufacturers) to do the matching finish on the rear OEM calipers for a long-lasting appearance, just like the expensive front BBK calipers.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
So you want to get snooty.

Rotora is junk for track use. I've been to the track many times as well but I was in my TL driving it with the Rotora BBK so I have a little experience with this

The first problem is stopping distances increased over the stock 11.8" brakes. Rotora does not take brake bias into account. You end up with a heavily front biased system that will not stop as short as stock brakes in a single stop. I did more than 10 stops with cool down between stops with each brake setup on the same tires and the same road.

Second, I still had to run race pads for track use because with only 258hp and 3500lbs they were fading. The main reason I wanted a BBK was to not have to swap out pads.

Third, I got about a hundred cracks in the rotors with the final blow being a crack all the way through the rotor becoming a safety hazard. This crack developed from street use.

Fourth, increased pedal travel because theres more piston area than stock.

So saying it "stops on a dime" and "far superior to stock brakes theres no comparison" is very educational and all but this is just your subjective opinion, the numbers tell a different story. I'm sure they stop your car just fine from redlight to redlight but if you took the time to measure stopping distances or took it to the track you would realize you spent thousands on looks. 14" rears are just retarded.

Why do people become so brand loyal that they get so defensive over an inanimate object. I ran rotora for nearly 4 years. I would never run them again based on their performance and business practices. Stoptech is the superior performer. Rotoras look nice. Whats the big deal?
Not getting snooty just sharing my personal experience with the Rotora BBK on a 4G TL.
Not everyone wants to take their car to the track some just want an upgrade to the OEM brakes......Sad to hear about your not so good experience....but so far the Rotora BBK looks and performance has far surpass the OEM brakes on my car.

Last edited by FYAH TL; 02-24-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, whatever you decision is, just wanted to let you know if you need a donor car, i'm game.

-DeL
Thank you.

Unfortunately if this is done the rear kit will be a rear Big Brake Kit, not just a caliper upgrade. And even then a caliper upgrade is everything minus the discs so the cost would be at least $1500.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I've spoken with STOPTECH. We can make a rear BBK if people really want it. It would be roughly $2200-$2300. I can reduce the price a few hundred if we get enough buyers. The kit would be a 328 or 332mm 2 piece with 2 piston calipers.