AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-295/)
-   -   SH-AWD TL-Wow...Amazed at the Performance...Looking for More (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-295/sh-awd-tl-wow-amazed-performance-looking-more-975314/)

AK10 12-02-2018 09:25 PM

SH-AWD TL-Wow...Amazed at the Performance...Looking for More

Just got a 2010 TL sh awd and I am amazed at the performance. What are some of the plug in performance enhancing options?

Midnight Mystery 12-02-2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by AK10 (Post 16342436)
Just got a 2010 TL sh awd and I am amazed at the performance. What are some of the plug in performance enhancing options?

J-pipe, but you don't just "plug it in"...

AK10 12-03-2018 12:06 AM

j pipe gives how much added HP? i am thinking chip, supercharger, and possibly turbo options

Midnight Mystery 12-03-2018 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by AK10 (Post 16342482)
j pipe gives how much added HP? i am thinking chip, supercharger, and possibly turbo options

Chip? Oh, hell no!

You need a custom tune, which costs$$$!

Turbo, thats very expen$ive!

Supercharger, well, comptech makes one, I think... But it may need to be modified for your J37 engine... Will still cost between $5-10K (supercharger installed with stock internels) and in all reality, you would probably want to build an engine from the crank up...

Also, you should look into doing a 6 speed swap because your tranny wouldn't last long at all...

A J-pipe will give you about 15 hp, or sonething like that... It'll help your torque and with highway passing...

This will run you about $700 for a good J-pipe + install, so probably over $1k...

There is more you can do...

Forced induction should be like one of your later ideas, but with dedication, anything is possible...

But you're not going to just plug something in and get 500hp...

If you want speed get a Charger SRT8, or a Mustang or something... If you want a fast/reliable luxury car, get a Lexus IS F (420 HP), or atleast an IS 350 (306 HP)...

This is all information I've gathered from reeding so someone more experienced may chime in and correct me...

Best of luck, and have sone fun with the TL, they're really nice cars!!!

On a side note... There is a member who has a car like yours running like 500 hp, I just saw the thread the other day... Good ideas will be there...

Nev05 12-03-2018 12:08 PM

basically OP, you need to search

dv- 12-03-2018 12:38 PM

The TL is a big fat hog of a car with a pretty capable engine out of the box. So the cheapest route to more performance is "remove the heavy parts."

At the extreme end of things, you can cut like 600 pounds out of a 3G TL. I'd bet a 4G is similar.

Midnight Mystery 12-03-2018 03:33 PM

OP- If you do this, you'd be driving a stripped out luxury car!

But, I aggree, the TL is heavy... My 3gen was heavy enough...

Also, all of the turbo/supercharger struff will ruin your reliability, well, mainly the turbo... On a fab build, too many little parts that aren't OEM, one little thing could break, leaving you standard...

Just something to consider...

Here's a better question... Do you plan to drive this car daily? Do you have access to a sencond car to drive while the TL is being built? What is your mod budget, as it stands?

This will give you an idea of the reality here....

losiglow 12-03-2018 04:42 PM

This thread contains options that won't break the bank (too much....) or sacrifice reliability. It's a sticky in the performance section. Check it out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...our-4g-854092/

As far as lightening things up - I've removed the spare tire and jack, put in a lightweight battery, replaced stock 25lb wheels with 18lb aftermarket and a small handful of other items that don't compromise the ride quality but get rid of some fat. Weight loss is good but on this car, there's not too much you can get rid of without sacrificing comfort or ride quality.

KarKraze 12-03-2018 07:10 PM

There is a Rotrex Supercharger Kit available for the 4G TL.
It produces 410 WHP on a Stage 1. The downside is that you lose the AC, were it not for this, mine would be done.

Do a search on "Gerzy Bear Performance". He has been doing kits way back for the 3G as well.

thoiboi 12-06-2018 07:47 PM

Moving the Performance/Mods subthread for more applicability

AK10 12-06-2018 08:20 PM

I only drive the car on the weekend since my business requires the use of a utility truck - I have a budget of about 10k and have a goal of about 500hp to compete in a local BMW club (mostly tunned M cars). I decided not to get a BMW because of the high cost of repairs and upgrades....not to mention purchase cost. I priced out a supercharger at 3k and exhaust at $700 installed. Suspension and wheel upgrades will run me about 2k which leave me some $ to spare.

AK10 12-06-2018 08:35 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...298ea2b08.jpeg

Midnight Mystery 12-06-2018 08:56 PM

Your TL looks nice, like the painted grille!

AK10 12-06-2018 09:20 PM

I purchased with blackout option - front and rear

Midnight Mystery 12-07-2018 12:02 AM

What else did the previous owner mod? They didn't come that way, but a lot of owners have done this the their TL's!