Stand-alone j37a4 minijet boat

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stand-alone j37a4 minijet boat

so I picked up a 2010 TL sh-awd 3.7 auto motor that I found on Craigslist that someone had bought for their car and then realized their motor was cheaper to fix. Long story short I thought it would be a sweet motor to put in a jet boat so I picked it up knowing very little except the little bit of research I did before I bought it......
1st- where would be the best place to get a stand alone harness and Ecu or do I need to get a factory ecu and then add a tuner? If I do need a factory Ecu how to I match up the serial numbers to get the right one for the motor.....
2nd- because this was an automatic it only has the flexplate and no starter ring gear....I doesn't matter if I have a flexplate or a flywheel because i will make an adapter for my jet unit just need to be able to have the ring gear for the starter and something cheap....I have started to realize that there isn't a ton of parts for these cars yet....will a j35 flexplate with the gear work on the 37? Would it be worth cutting a old torque converter? Good used parts sources? A completely smoked flywheel would work just as well as a brand new one for me

3rd- the exhaust manifolds flange the same as the j35 or is it bigger? I need to build custom water jacketed manifolds and looking for exhaust fab parts.....will I run into check eng codes with out cats? Does the o2 sensor in the manifolds have to go in thru the top

4-I want to strip down the motor as much as possible from any accessories and have it as light and bare as possible....basically water pump/alternator/starter

5- I read that this is drive by wire so will I need to get the pedal assembly out of a car or will the standalone setup take care of all that?

6- best engine management display system....basically I am looking to have all my engine vitals either on a screen or gauges....I think a screen would be the cleanest install

well that is all I can think of right now but I have jumped in with both feet and really appreciate all the help I can get....I am super excited about this build and I think these little motors are awesome....thanks!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
best thing to do is get the ECU setup from the 3.5L honda outboard motors! That should solve quite a few of your issues! Also look into the modifications honda did to the motor to be able to stand up the marine environment!

You can always go ahead and go with a 3.7L ECU and go with K-tuner to modify the tune and get rid of the emissions light. Beware that the J37 found in 2009+ TL's, 2011+ MDX's, etc are prone to oil consumption and can burn 1 quart in 1K miles! Acura has updated piston rings that are better and solve the issue. A dealer should be able to link the ECU to the car and get it to start. Main thing is having the immobilizer system + key for the ECU you are using so you don't have to need the programing!

Last edited by csmeance; 11-02-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:45 PM
4th Gear

Ya it isn't really marine use it's a river boat so fresh water....just trying to figure out what my best options are or where to get the parts from....i did search a little in the Honda marine motors but not much for parts....my goal is to find everything I need to get the motor to start and run basically just hooking power to it and fuel....wiring/Ecu/flywheel/starter/alternator/and accelerator pedal options
Old 11-02-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
junk yards for the wiring harness and ecu
Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 PM
4th Gear

It did come with the engine harness and most all the sensors...I found a few Ecu on eBay just not sure how to match them up with my motor
Old 11-28-2018, 02:16 AM
4th Gear

Found a parts 225hp j35 Honda outboard

what are the odds of the Honda outboard Ecu and wiring harness working on the j37? I still haven't had much luck nailing down a good stand alone system that has bare minimum emissions and stuff....just want to hook up power and throttle and have gauges.....the good news is the flywheel off the outboard should work and has the ring gear for the starter