Anyone running OBX J-pipe with PCD??? See pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 AM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone running OBX J-pipe with PCD??? See pics

Just wondering if there’s anyone running these on 4G TL SH-AWD?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Never heard of it. I have a few concerns. First, it states that it fits both the SH-AWD and FWD. From what I understand, and based on the different designs the vendors here have, I'm pretty sure the two pipes are different. In other words, the FWD won't fit the SH-AWD and vice versa. I think it has to do with the propeller shaft and the J-pipe needing to navigate around it. If they designed a one-size-fits-all pipe, I wouldn't be surprised to see some rubbing of the pipe (which creates mad rattles) or the pipe hanging low which increases chance of bottoming it out (which leads to broken welds and additional stress on the exhaust system as a whole). XLR8 and RV6 have designed theirs to navigate undercarriage components in such a way that the pipe doesn't hang any lower than stock. Second, it doesn't look like it has the defoulers on the PCD's that the RV6 ones do. You could probably use those spark plug extension thingies that some try when their cats go bad, but the defoulers that are built into the RV6 PCD's work better from what I've heard (I use their high-flow cats so I can't speak from experience on that). Third, not a big deal but the test pipe on the end is kind of dumb IMO. It's not a deal killer, but the XLR8 and RV6 pipes eliminate that altogether. Less bolts and gaskets - less chance for rattles, exhaust leaks and chance of breaks at the weld points.

What's the price on it? Ballpark for the XLR8/RV6 pipe and PCD's is around $850 ($475 for the pipe, $375 for the PCD's as of 12/3). And I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a holiday sale or combo package discount soon.

I'm all about a good deal but when it comes to this stuff, I prefer going with the tried and true option. XLR8 and RV6 have been doing this for quite a while and know what they're doing. If it's a killer deal then I might consider it. If it's not less than $250 or so than the other vendors, I think I'd pass. It's a PITA to get it all installed (especially the PCD's) and having to redo it if it falls apart would make me

Last edited by losiglow; 12-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rainydays (12-12-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:39 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I think losiglow did a really good job of articulating the potential concerns of this product.

Also very interesting that it says it fits 08-12 Honda accord.... somehow its like a one size fits all product.

I too am interested in the price, I think that will tell us a lot.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

Originally Posted by losiglow
Never heard of it. I have a few concerns. First, it states that it fits both the SH-AWD and FWD. From what I understand, and based on the different designs the vendors here have, I'm pretty sure the two pipes are different. In other words, the FWD won't fit the SH-AWD and vice versa. I think it has to do with the propeller shaft and the J-pipe needing to navigate around it. If they designed a one-size-fits-all pipe, I wouldn't be surprised to see some rubbing of the pipe (which creates mad rattles) or the pipe hanging low which increases chance of bottoming it out (which leads to broken welds and additional stress on the exhaust system as a whole). XLR8 and RV6 have designed theirs to navigate undercarriage components in such a way that the pipe doesn't hang any lower than stock. Second, it doesn't look like it has the defoulers on the PCD's that the RV6 ones do. You could probably use those spark plug extension thingies that some try when their cats go bad, but the defoulers that are built into the RV6 PCD's work better from what I've heard (I use their high-flow cats so I can't speak from experience on that). Third, not a big deal but the test pipe on the end is kind of dumb IMO. It's not a deal killer, but the XLR8 and RV6 pipes eliminate that altogether. Less bolts and gaskets - less chance for rattles, exhaust leaks and chance of breaks at the weld points.

What's the price on it? Ballpark for the XLR8/RV6 pipe and PCD's is around $850 ($475 for the pipe, $375 for the PCD's as of 12/3). And I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a holiday sale or combo package discount soon.

I'm all about a good deal but when it comes to this stuff, I prefer going with the tried and true option. XLR8 and RV6 have been doing this for quite a while and know what they're doing. If it's a killer deal then I might consider it. If it's not less than $250 or so than the other vendors, I think I'd pass. It's a PITA to get it all installed (especially the PCD's) and having to redo it if it falls apart would make me
well price was $300 plus shipping, which pretty much says it all... in the process of reaching out to OBX to get more info
Old 12-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Drifting

That's a killer deal. If it's legit then I'd jump on it.

Or so I said before I googled them:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/OBX-Raci...=page_internal

2.0 of 5 based on 45 reviews. Most of them about cracks, fitment issues and customer service.

Roll the dice if you want.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

That's a killer deal. If it's legit then I'd jump on it.

Or so I said before I googled them:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/OBX-Raci...=page_internal

2.0 of 5 based on 45 reviews. Most of them about cracks, fitment issues and customer service.

Roll the dice if you want.
yikes customer service not looking so good from OBX...

we’ll see once I receive the items... hopefully they get back to me soon (not wait a few months like others did from what I read from that link)...

I basically asked them to confirm fitment to the 4th Gen TL SH-AWD.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:30 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I remember when people were buying OBX headers instead of Comptech because of the huge price difference. I wouldn't trust OBX.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

Update

Well haven’t received any feedback from OBX (not surprised &#128528 BUT did receive the package....

Turns out you guys were right, jpipe doesn’t fit. It’s about 2” longer at the end where the 3rd Cat bolts up. Plus the flange on the PCDs looks small than stock so wouldn’t fit either.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Damn. Sorry man. You were smart to compare before you took things apart though. Now just hope you can get your money back.

Quality doesn't look half bad. But I bet if we were to ask XLR8 and RV6 what the hardest part about designing parts is, they'd say fitment. Making a part that is superior to stock AND fits the vehicle correctly isn't easy.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

Damn. Sorry man. You were smart to compare before you took things apart though. Now just hope you can get your money back.

Quality doesn't look half bad. But I bet if we were to ask XLR8 and RV6 what the hardest part about designing parts is, they'd say fitment. Making a part that is superior to stock AND fits the vehicle correctly isn't easy.
Well I was able to get my full refund including shipping. Ebay seller made the return a hassle free process.

Guess I’ll just bolt up the Endless Exhaust and put the Xlr8 / Rv6 jpipe and pcd on wish list.

thanks to all that gave their 2 cents on this 👍
Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

eBay is actually a pretty safe place to buy things. Their return policy is pretty good.