RV6 Black Friday Sale! Long Tube Jpipe, PCDs, HFPCs and KTuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:29 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by suspekt360
Some more impressions before I put on the stock J Pipe.

1. The exhaust is growing on me. At anything below 3/4 throttle, there isn't really any rasp. It's only when you go WOT all the way that you get a distinctive kinda rasp from the tail pipes.

2. There is a separate type of whoosh that emanates from the j pipe itself. Its not really that noticeable unless you are very concerned with OEM style silence. It is most noticeable at part throttle tip in.

Now for some positive thoughts. Even more so for 2009-2011 5 speed autos that can rev match down to 1st gear (or those lucky 6 speed m/t owners)

1. Rapidly decelerating and downshifting sounds amazing. With the PCD, the motor revs up so freely that the throttle blips are just crisper, faster, and accompanied by a very angry j motor revving up freely.

2. Coming out of a slow turn down shifted all the way into 1st, the car "feels" like it pulls right to redline very quickly and the gear change to 2nd is immediate with strong acceleration after the shift.

3. There is no doubt that over 5,000rpm, the engine feels livelier, smoother, and shifts seemed to be followed by more power in the next gear.

Overall, it is very interesting exhaust setup that is maniacal when you lay into it but quiet if you don't. At part throttle, between 2,500-3,500, there is a baritone sound similar to a 350z.

Keep in mind, I still haven't done the K Tuner which is next. Very eager to get the full potential from this setup.

Will the car fully tuned, make more power with the stock j pipe or the aftermarket j pipe?

I really wonderful about overall volumetric efficiency of the PCD with long j pipe or PCD with stock J pipe. It could be possible that the stock j pipe paired with pcd provides better flow than PCD with the long j pipe.

One thing is for certain, the way the PCD uncorked the sound and intensity of the motor is rather addictive. It just feels that much more fun running up and down the gears.... especially getting down into a rev matched 1st gear and clawing out of slow turns with shawd in full power oversteer with t/c off... bliss...

I guess with the aftermarket J-Pipe you only gain 4HP. The dyno does seem to contradict itself but my biggest concern is the smell of gas with the PCD. Rasp could always be minimize.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:59 AM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I think my car is running is super rich which must add to the fuel smell.

My FE is horrendous at 15L per 100km right now. It's not from driving aggressive either, I can tell at anything other than steady state Highway driving, the car is burning way too much fuel at part throttle.

I can't wait for the K Tuner but I only want to tune it once and I need to decide which j pipe will be used. It would be great if the stock j pipe provides 75% of the gains of an aftermarket pipe (when paired with pcd) plus the benefit of some fuel smell and rasp reduction.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Pro

My FE is horrendous at 15L per 100km right now. It's not from driving aggressive either, I can tell at anything other than steady state Highway driving, the car is burning way too much fuel at part throttle.

I can't wait for the K Tuner but I only want to tune it once and I need to decide which j pipe will be used. It would be great if the stock j pipe provides 75% of the gains of an aftermarket pipe (when paired with pcd) plus the benefit of some fuel smell and rasp reduction.
Aint going to know the response to that but you might have to run both on the dyno to see whats what for you.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
Elaborate
Work from engine back. The most restrictive part of a 4G exhaust are the cats, then the 3rd cat and lastly, if at all the catback.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I have not read this thread so I apologize if you listed your mods.... If you are running a non-stock intake that could be your problem. My CTE Icebox threw my fuel ratio off dramatically, and my mileage went way down after install, same with power. I have now gotten this all fixed with a tune. Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 PM
CLS^6

Update:
Still running xlr8 j pipe and pcd with icebox. Will be ordering k tuner soon and getting tune from turbo gixxer.

I really think K tuner needs to offer Canadian pricng that isn't purely based on USD base price. If the Canadian price was $599 CDN I would have bought already. The price shouldn't float 1:1 with the USD:CDN exchange rate..... but I digress.....

The update is that I have had a CEL come on (can't confirm if it was inefficient cat code or unable to read sensor). 2 observations from this:
1. The car doesn't restrict performance with cel on (no lower rev limit).
2. The light went away on its own a day later.

Ultimately, the K Tuner will allow me to disable the downstream O2 sensors so it's not a big deal.

Gotta say the high rpm power gain is impressive with PCD.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 AM
Pro

Update:
Still running xlr8 j pipe and pcd with icebox. Will be ordering k tuner soon and getting tune from turbo gixxer.

I really think K tuner needs to offer Canadian pricng that isn't purely based on USD base price. If the Canadian price was $599 CDN I would have bought already. The price shouldn't float 1:1 with the USD:CDN exchange rate..... but I digress.....

The update is that I have had a CEL come on (can't confirm if it was inefficient cat code or unable to read sensor). 2 observations from this:

Ultimately, the K Tuner will allow me to disable the downstream O2 sensors so it's not a big deal.

But how that smell tho?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

The cost of materials, labor, and the discounts given to dealers are all in USD. If you can make those things cost less I'd be happy to augment the price for you!

With OBD2 if it sees data within the spec of the tests over some period it will reset a code that's been turned on. An O2 code won't apply a lower limiter, but some codes do.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Update:

I'll never steer you wrong, wait till you're tuned!

But how that smell tho?
Who cares?! If you're getting the best set of track cleats, are you going to complain they're not as comfy as a slipper? But I digress, in an outdoor environment it's fine, indoors in a 1-2 car garage, I don't know.
The following users liked this post:
carbonTSEX (02-03-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM
CLS^6

FUpdate:
Put stock j pipe on.

Pros:
- less fuel smell
- zero rasp
- nice buzz saw sound from exhaust
- feels OEM again (in terms of NVH levels)
- under 2,500 rpm feels a bit more responsive

Cons:
- explosive top end not the same
- rev matched down shifts to 2nd and 1st just not as fast (the motor doesn't spin up as effortlessly)
- less torquey between 3,500-5,500

I will post another update.
Bottom line: button dyno says long j pipe paired with pcd does produce more power. I don't believe those that say j pipe does nothing. It could be that the 3rd cat is all to blame but the XLR8 J Pipe with pcd was definitely adding power.

I will be installing ktuner soon (ordered) but dilemma is whether or not to reinstall j pipe....
Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Pro

FUpdate:
Put stock j pipe on.

Pros:
- less fuel smell
- zero rasp
- nice buzz saw sound from exhaust
- feels OEM again (in terms of NVH levels)
- under 2,500 rpm feels a bit more responsive

Cons:
- explosive top end not the same
- rev matched down shifts to 2nd and 1st just not as fast (the motor doesn't spin up as effortlessly)
- less torquey between 3,500-5,500

I will post another update.
Bottom line: button dyno says long j pipe paired with pcd does produce more power. I don't believe those that say j pipe does nothing. It could be that the 3rd cat is all to blame but the XLR8 J Pipe with pcd was definitely adding power.

I will be installing ktuner soon (ordered) but dilemma is whether or not to reinstall j pipe....
Thanks for that update. What you have now is what I was looking to do. But I do hope that the Ktuner would make a difference with the base map. They do have a option on there for the PCD/HFC.

If no difference is there then I may have to custom a Magnaflow HFC down stream somewhere.

Ain't want the rasp or smell.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 PM
CLS^6

Re: PCD + Long J Pipe combo

Does anyone believe the rasp emanates from the J pipe itself?
Im sure the oem chambered muffler design contributes as well.

I wonder if the j pipe wall thickness coupled with the 2 primary pipes running parallel to one another in very close proximity cause the rasp.

I am very curious to see if putting a wedge between the primaries (just before the merge collector) would tame the rasp.

I also can't say it was raspy. It's more of a metallic wail that only presents itself at 3/4 to WOT throttle openings... it also sounded cool depending on your perspective.

With PCD + Stock J pipe, the exhaust is damn near perfect in terms of NVH and tone. The fuel smell is also nearly eliminated.

I am going to wrap the XLR8 pipe and see if I can try to reduce the rasp it creates.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:21 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
The rasp is due to the replacement of the precats. I'm sure you had no rasp before when just running the XLR8 Jpipe. So it's pretty clear what the culprit is.
The following 2 users liked this post by carbonTSEX:
614erich (02-26-2016), HeartTLs (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 AM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
The rasp is due to the replacement of the precats. I'm sure you had no rasp before when just running the XLR8 Jpipe. So it's pretty clear what the culprit is.
There is no rasp now with pcd and stock j pipe.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Drifting

I never tried AF cats & stock J pipe, but I did try the opposite. I think carbon is right, the culprits are the PCD's. If you had HFPC's I believe there wouldn't be any rasp even when paired with AF j pipe.

I'm sad you didn't like the sound of long j pipe + PCD's, I love that snarl.
carbonTSEX (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 PM
The Original Shawdy

There is no rasp now with pcd and stock j pipe.
The reason for that is due to the 3rd cat and smaller diameter in the Jpipe size.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 PM
CLS^6

The reason for that is due to the 3rd cat and smaller diameter in the Jpipe size.
I agree with you. But I also think j pipe wall thickness plays a role.

I'm going to find a way to reinstall xlr8 J pipe and also minimize some of the raspiness which honestly wasn't too obnoxious...I think the setup of the AWD dual exhaust really helps control rasp with the placement of the stock resonators.

I'd like to ktune the car with pcd/xlr8 j pipe....
carbonTSEX (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 AM
Pro

I agree with you. But I also think j pipe wall thickness plays a role.

I'm going to find a way to reinstall xlr8 J pipe and also minimize some of the raspiness which honestly wasn't too obnoxious...I think the setup of the AWD dual exhaust really helps control rasp with the placement of the stock resonators.

I'd like to ktune the car with pcd/xlr8 j pipe....
If you look at Driveaccord.net and V6performance.net they actually touch this topic a bit. And there even guys on there with Dyno numbers as well with the PCD and Stock pipe. On there site I guess it's the BEST bang for the buck PCD Stock j-pipe.

But if the rasp is bearable as you said then put that XLR8 J-Pipe back on.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Rasp comes from the pulses interfering with each other on both sides of the motor...removing the cats just removes what baffles the sound and breaks up the sound waves.

I did find wrapping my exhaust helped, because it's like when you hold a pipe, it helps with reverberation. I can't speak on PCD vs HFC on my personal car because I have a different brand HFC...V3 RV6 Jpipe...I used to have terrible rasp with my stock exhaust...but with the True Dual RV6 Exhaust it all disappeared.

I also think that freeing up the PCD at the engine, but then trapping the gases further down the line will increase the unburnt fuel smell since it won't be freely shooting out your arse.

E-shift (my HFC) originally made a high flow version of all 3 cats...so technically you could run the stock jpipe with a high flow cat on it...but then you lose the benefit of the design that Richie put together...plus, it's the 3rd iteration with the dyno backing to prove it.

If you're ktuning and concerned with performance though, there's no way in hell putting an OEM restrictive component back in should even be an option for you. You're either in and modifying your car, or trying to keep it stock...can't play "just the tip" with car modifying!
HeartTLs (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 AM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Rasp comes from the pulses interfering with each other on both sides of the motor...removing the cats just removes what baffles the sound and breaks up the sound waves.

I did find wrapping my exhaust helped, because it's like when you hold a pipe, it helps with reverberation. I can't speak on PCD vs HFC on my personal car because I have a different brand HFC...V3 RV6 Jpipe...I used to have terrible rasp with my stock exhaust...but with the True Dual RV6 Exhaust it all disappeared.

I also think that freeing up the PCD at the engine, but then trapping the gases further down the line will increase the unburnt fuel smell since it won't be freely shooting out your arse.

E-shift (my HFC) originally made a high flow version of all 3 cats...so technically you could run the stock jpipe with a high flow cat on it...but then you lose the benefit of the design that Richie put together...plus, it's the 3rd iteration with the dyno backing to prove it.

If you're ktuning and concerned with performance though, there's no way in hell putting an OEM restrictive component back in should even be an option for you. You're either in and modifying your car, or trying to keep it stock...can't play "just the tip" with car modifying!
I can categorically state the following:
1. PCD with stock J pipe dramatically reduced the fuel smell to the point of being a non issue. Exhaust note, on the dual shawd stock exhaust, is perfect in my opinion now. You get baritone note under 4,500 and then a wonderful growl through the icebox on the way to redline. This is my ideal setup for exhaust sound transitioning tointake sound.

2. PCD yielded a definitive performance gain even with stock j pipe (greater gain than oem cats paired with long j pipe).

Looking ahead.

I am going to do 3 things to the XLR8 pipe:
1. Put a wedge between primary runners to reduce resonance between the two
2. Wrap the pipe
3. Might throw on a shorty bullet style spun magnaflow universal high flow cat just ahead of rear flange; these cats flow so well I highly doubt there will be a loss of any measurable power.

I will update group again.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
3. Might throw on a shorty bullet style spun magnaflow universal high flow cat just ahead of rear flange; these cats flow so well I highly doubt there will be a loss of any measurable power.
I run this, and and HFPCs... I like this set up.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Pro

I can categorically state the following:
1. PCD with stock J pipe dramatically reduced the fuel smell to the point of being a non issue. Exhaust note, on the dual shawd stock exhaust, is perfect in my opinion now. You get baritone note under 4,500 and then a wonderful growl through the icebox on the way to redline. This is my ideal setup for exhaust sound transitioning tointake sound.

2. PCD yielded a definitive performance gain even with stock j pipe (greater gain than oem cats paired with long j pipe).

Looking ahead.

I am going to do 3 things to the XLR8 pipe:
1. Put a wedge between primary runners to reduce resonance between the two
2. Wrap the pipe

I will update group again.
Check this out... I was looking at this style Cat... What do you think about it?

MagnaFlow Universal Catalytic Converters 93510 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Old 02-10-2016, 04:53 PM
CLS^6

Check this out... I was looking at this style Cat... What do you think about it?

MagnaFlow Universal Catalytic Converters 93510 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Interesting.
My plan is to install a magnaflow 59959 just ahead of the rear flange on the XLR8 v2 j pipe. I really want to keep a bolt-on bolt-off setup and not do any welding that makes undoing it difficult.

I may even weld on some reinforcement tabs on the 2 primary pipes to assist with reducing vibration.

I think honestly, the premium for rv6 HFPC's saves all this headache and your basically paying cost for those 2 high flow cats.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 PM
CLS^6

Update:
1. Installed ktuner basemap#3 for PCD-HFPC. Will post a review once I've flogged the car a bit with the tune. I am still amazed at the way the J37 responded to pcd + xlr8 j pipe. It was so free flowing and effortlessly revvy. I am currently on stock j pipe and its just not the same.

2. Ordered magnaflow high flow cat #59958. Me and my Mechanic have a plan to install cat ahead of rear flange on the XLR8 v2 long j pipe. We will also be reinforcing the primary pipes where they run parallel. We will also be wrapping the primaries to try and dampen some noise. I will post a pic of the completed j pipe in a few weeks when we are done with it.

3. We will be tuning the car once the j pipe is back on with the ktuner software.

I will post more details soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by suspekt360:
carbonTSEX (02-12-2016), KSeriesTuner (02-13-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 AM

So...you concur then?

I just spent 20 hours behind the wheel of a 3.7/PCD/Intake/Jpipe/TD and let me say...free flowing is right. Never really thought I'd know the difference with some top end, but yeah, I felt the difference.

I'd like to know how the PCD wrapping goes...
Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Usually from my expierence, the long tubes are great to be a little cheaper, "all in one" and better top end, but the risk of them is rasp and also some lower end torque loss. Going off of some dynos as well for the stock size piping with a 20 degree collector and equal length primaries it seemed to have some more lower end torque.

The worst rasp I have ever seen was from tsuedo, it sounded like there was a marble inside of the piping at all times banging around..

Last edited by AckTL05; 02-15-2016 at 09:58 PM.
HeartTLs (02-18-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
I just picked up some used RV6 PCD, figure I'll wrap them to get rid of some of the rasp and then pair it up with the RV6 J-Pipe.

No one likes rasp
Old 02-24-2016, 04:14 PM
The Original Shawdy

Does wrapping actually help cut down the rasp? I know it helps with cooling and forcing the gases straight out the pipe rather than through it. It also helps bump up the hp and tq a tad. Has anyone wrapped the precat deletes and can verify it helped decrease the rasp?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Wrapping has also been known to cause premature rusting. Ceramic coating has replaced wrapping.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Wrapping has also been known to cause premature rusting. Ceramic coating has replaced wrapping.
Ceramic coating doesn't cut down on rasp though

And that said, it's not really the wrap that causes rust, the wrap will hold moisture in which can cause rusting. Fiberglass wrap on its own won't rust something. Also, don't wrap it while damp/wet, I've seen people recommend making the wrap wet and then wrapping - no need to do that.
HeartTLs (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 AM

Rasp is the devil.
HeartTLs (02-26-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:10 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J pipe can cause vibration on the sub frame brace. You can space it out with washers to eliminate it.
Interesting... Is this at all speeds or at high speeds? I just put on the V2 J-pipe and am feeling a vibration above 80 mph
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

feeling vibration is drivetrain or shitty balance on wheels, point blank. It's not your ex host.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Update:
1. Installed ktuner basemap#3 for PCD-HFPC. Will post a review once I've flogged the car a bit with the tune. I am still amazed at the way the J37 responded to pcd + xlr8 j pipe. It was so free flowing and effortlessly revvy. I am currently on stock j pipe and its just not the same.

2. Ordered magnaflow high flow cat #59958. Me and my Mechanic have a plan to install cat ahead of rear flange on the XLR8 v2 long j pipe. We will also be reinforcing the primary pipes where they run parallel. We will also be wrapping the primaries to try and dampen some noise. I will post a pic of the completed j pipe in a few weeks when we are done with it.

3. We will be tuning the car once the j pipe is back on with the ktuner software.

I will post more details soon.
Suspekt, any updates bud?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:25 PM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
Suspekt, any updates bud?
Here's the update as requested.

1. I ended up selling the XLR8 V2 Jpipe to a fellow member on this thread. The reason was that I was not comfortable with the fitment of the high flow cat on the long j pipe. I opted to save the J Pipe and sell it rather than potentially hack it up and make it worthless.

2. The car is currently fitted with PCD, stock j pipe, stock exhaust with CT Icebox.... I have to tell you guys, this setup sounds just right to me. The exhaust has a nice baritone sound that never drones, never rasps, never smell fuel. It sounds so nice and rough on cold start but settles to a nice idle. On acceleration, the sound is right in the sweet spot of never being intrusive but has a nice tonal change as you rev up.

3. I have not tuned the k tuner yet but the k tuner is worth it. The motor just feels smoother and more kick between 4k-7k.

4. I will be modifying the stock j pipe by removing the OEM cat and fitting the high flow cat in its place to remove the restriction. The car was definitely faster (especially on the 1-2 shift) with the PCD/J Pipe/K Tuner combo.

Right now, I am satisfied with the setup. It all feels very OEM but with an exhaust that has a nice bite to it.

If I was doing this all over again, I would urge anyone to keep it simple and do the following:

1. Install PCD's
2. Install K tuner

This setup sounds very nice and provides a noticable increase in performance. I would be very surprised if someone did this and felt they still wanted an exhaust.

This would cost about $850USD +/- $50 depending on how you negotiate with the vendors. Richie gives a solid deal and I bought through him.

The final peice would be a full tune.

Once I get the high flow cat installed, I will provide another update.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 PM
CLS^6

Does anyone know of an easy way to get the flanges that would normally mount on a test pipe? XLR8 has a test pipe but I am not needing the whole thing.

This would reduce the need to hack the stock 3rd cat.... basically I am looking to make a high-flow cat fitted test pipe and just need the flanges to make the job easy to bolt-in and bolt-out.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 AM
The Original Shawdy

Finally installing my precat deletes tomorrow. Bring on the rasp! Lmao

Deletes and ktuner have been sitting brand new since Novemeber!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM
Pro

Here's the update as requested.

1. I ended up selling the XLR8 V2 Jpipe to a fellow member on this thread. The reason was that I was not comfortable with the fitment of the high flow cat on the long j pipe. I opted to save the J Pipe and sell it rather than potentially hack it up and make it worthless.

2. The car is currently fitted with PCD, stock j pipe, stock exhaust with CT Icebox.... I have to tell you guys, this setup sounds just right to me. The exhaust has a nice baritone sound that never drones, never rasps, never smell fuel. It sounds so nice and rough on cold start but settles to a nice idle. On acceleration, the sound is right in the sweet spot of never being intrusive but has a nice tonal change as you rev up.

3. I have not tuned the k tuner yet but the k tuner is worth it. The motor just feels smoother and more kick between 4k-7k.

4. I will be modifying the stock j pipe by removing the OEM cat and fitting the high flow cat in its place to remove the restriction. The car was definitely faster (especially on the 1-2 shift) with the PCD/J Pipe/K Tuner combo.

Right now, I am satisfied with the setup. It all feels very OEM but with an exhaust that has a nice bite to it.

If I was doing this all over again, I would urge anyone to keep it simple and do the following:

1. Install PCD's
2. Install K tuner

This setup sounds very nice and provides a noticable increase in performance. I would be very surprised if someone did this and felt they still wanted an exhaust.

This would cost about $850USD +/- $50 depending on how you negotiate with the vendors. Richie gives a solid deal and I bought through him.

The final peice would be a full tune.

Once I get the high flow cat installed, I will provide another update.
Just got the J-pipe install day before YESTERDAY and went well. Thanks for the smooth transaction.

Ktuner is BOSS.....

My set up is...

HFC
Tuner
XLR8 V2 Jpipe
Borla S-Type
Resonator Delete............. I will be installing my stock Resonator back on my set up.. After the HFC and J-pipe had to much drone. I'm hoping that Resonator would give me that sound I'm looking for.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 PM
The Original Shawdy

Just did my precat deletes today... Hella loud and raspy during hard acceleration, chill while cruising. Definitely quicker. Now I gotta tune the bitch so she's running perfect.

Echoed thru my homies neighborhood from the street. Completely different car.

Quick Reply: RV6 Black Friday Sale! Long Tube Jpipe, PCDs, HFPCs and KTuner