Possibly the first J-Pipe installed on a 4th Gen (SH-AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Possibly the first J-Pipe installed on a 4th Gen (SH-AWD)

Hey everybody.

So as promised, here is the thread which will give you the details about the J-Pipe that is going into production for the 4th Gen TL. My car is a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6-speed for reference.

First I'll give the background story to give it some emotion and throw out some props, but if you don't like to read, just scroll down to where I have bolded "now onto the J-Pipe" for the info on the J-Pipe and the pictures.

Back around February of this year, I was still deployed in Iraq and was excited at all of the new modifications in development for the TL (which I bought in December of 2009). I noticed that Josh from Excelerate was trying to recruit a person near the Phoenix area to drop off their TL for a few weeks so it could be test fitted for a production run of J-Pipes and cat-back exhaust. My car was in Tennessee at the time, but I told him that if he could wait until the end of May, I'd be back home and my car would be with me in El Paso. I don't think Josh took me too seriously at first probably because the length of time I was asking him to wait and also because El Paso isn't exactly close to Phoenix (450 miles away), but I am a man of my word soooo....

When I redeployed back to El Paso, I had a nice 30-day chunk of leave to take off and go back to my wife in Tennessee and then have a wedding in Ohio and then go on a Honeymoon and then relax until the 30 days were up. I emailed Josh who told me that Excelerate was working with Billy Boat Performance Exhaust (also called B&B Fabrication I believe) in Phoenix and they would be the ones building and producing the exhaust products for the TL. I called them up and was put in contact with Billy's brother Mike, who was very reassuring and helpful. I didn't exactly understand the depth of this company until I came to see it with my own eyes!

The car was successfully dropped off to Billy Boat's on 26 May with the agreement that it'd be completed by 20 June, which it was. All prototypes were made but unfortunately, I couldn't bring the car back in until today to actually get the J-Pipe installed. I had initially decided that I didn't want to get involved with the exhaust as per my wife potentially having a cow about it, but after a conversation on the phone with Mike Boat, he sold me on their in-house produced mufflers that are unlike anything else produced by other mass production muffler suppliers (Magnaflow and Flowmaster come to mind). Without getting into the specifics (which he is better at explaining), let's just say that he promises the exhausts to be complimentary to the kind of car the TL is, not like a teenager's idea of what a Civic should sound like.

Just as one more note about B&B, they are primarily producers of exhaust systems for very high end cars like Corvettes, Porches, Audi's, Vipers and so on. So you know you're getting a high quality product from them because owners of those cars wouldn't stick any ordinary Chinese-made piece of crap exhaust on their expensive cars.

And finally, the company is incredibly clean and organized. I'm used to going into run-of-the-mill Import Performance shops where they literally look like 15 cars exploded all over their floors, shelves and desks, but this place truly impressed me. I got the official "factory tour" from Eric (who installed my exhaust as you'll see in the pictures) and was impressed with the thoughtful layout as well as immense scale they can produce their products on.

Here are a couple pictures of some notable things I saw in the facility:

Front Room/Office (notice the extremely professional and business setup

Random goodie piles around the shop that show great pride and skill that goes into making each one individually:

Now onto the J-Pipe

So to get down to business, here is the information I know and observed so far with the J-Pipe...

First of all, here are two pictures. Billy or Mike personally ordered the stock J-Pipe for the J37 for consideration when making this design. As you know, they already had a basis to go off of from the 3rd Gen TL, but the 4th Gen TL SH-AWD required a couple tiny modifications to bolt up correctly. First of all, the "U-Bend" that makes this an equal length configuration had to be bent slightly more from 180 degrees (spec for a 3rd Gen) to 185 degrees (now the specs for the 4th Gen). This clears a small chasis obstacle on the underbody. The hangar for the rubber hanger mount also is in a different position, so that was changed.

The stainless steel is T-304, which I expected, and all the welds were done with stainless steel welding rod as well. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but when I was trying to get exhaust shops around El Paso to custom weld me up a stainless steel exhaust, nobody was equipped to weld with stainless steel rod. What's the point of a stainless steel exhaust resisting corrosion if the welds are just going to fail in a few years, ya know? /end rant

Okay, so the aftermarket J-Pipe obviously has a smaller flex pipe than stock, which is fine. No fitment problems were noticed and the small flex pipe is still remarkably flexible. The flanges on the OEM J-Pipe are sealed with metal o-rings, which are a typical trait among Japanese cars (says Eric), but he guaranteed that his sandwhich-style gaskets would be more than up to the tasks of sealing and staying put. In the past, I've had trouble with sandwhich-style exhaust gaskets failing way too quick and I found out that the ones I had been using/supplied with were an inferior aluminized fiberglass. The ones Eric put on (and said would be supplied in the kit) are made out of ceramic and graphite. The graphite obviously resists heat well, but as an added benefit, won't bond to the steel surfaces and stick on when/if the time comes to take it off. That gets a in my book.

To install the J-pipe, it took Eric 30 minutes (and that was with us talking about all things car-related) and the only tricky part was 1.) getting the two gaskets to stick on the primary cats (which point straight down) and 2.) to get all 3 flange surfaces on bolts at the same time, as you can't do it all one at a time.

1.) was solved by taking RTV sealant and applying a small amount to the gaskets to get them to stick to the cats. 2.) was solved by putting a nut on one of the secondary cat's three bolts, then joining the two primary cat flanges up at the same time (you'll have more luck getting the front cat flange to bolt up first). Keep the rest of the cat back system "loose" during this process as it makes it all possible (we could not do it with a bar propping it up we found out). My final thoughts are listed at the very bottom of this post...

OEM j-pipe (brand new)

B&B Stainless Steel Equal Length J-Pipe

Removal of the stock unit from my car:

Installation of the new J-Pipe:

So how does it feel/sound/run? Well, the push of the "start" button and subsequent revs showed only a very mild increase in exhaust sound. The noise only comes from the front of the car (as is probably expected) and is not negative in any way. My drive out of the shop did prove a couple things, most notably:

1. Throttle application will rev the engine "easier" (feels more willing) and faster.

2. For some reason, my revs didn't seem to drop quite as fast between my gear changes? I didn't view this as a bad thing, but it was a pleasant oddity.

3. I was questioning if it truly did bump up the power as I didn't get a chance to open it up how I wanted to until about 200 miles into my drive. Traffic became clogged and I did several "asshole" manuevers to get my car to the front. A quick drop into 4th gear at around 65mph shot the car forward at a great pace that genuinely felt quicker than stock. Also, after gassing up along the way home, the take-offs from a full stop were satisfying and pronounced.

4. I could not accurately determine if this modification helped increase gas mileage. Here are the base facts for you to deduce:

a.) The trip from El Paso to Phoenix went from 2:00a.m. to 8:00a.m. There was barely any traffic on the roads. My speed was steady at roughly 85mph the whole way on I-10. The temperature started at 71 degrees and went to a high of 77 until I hit phoenix where it quizzingly jumped to 93 degrees at freakin' 8am! I used the Air Conditioning for about 1/3 of this trip. Also, no severe wind was noticed. Average fuel economy according to the MID: 26.3mpg

b.) The trip from Phoenix to El Paso went from 11:00am to 5:30pm. There was much more traffic on the roads which resulted in me slowing down from my 85mph constant I was trying to achieve to around 65mph and then having to accelerate back up those 20mph. The temperature upon leaving Phoenix was 106 degrees and dropped roughly 3 degrees every hour it seemed. It was 87 in El Paso when I arrived. The Air Conditioning was always on for this segment. Wind gusts were noticably stronger in the last 150 miles of the trip. Average fuel economy according to the MID: 25.6mpg.

Overall, do I think that this J-Pipe will help fuel economy? Yes I do. The sheer facts of the second part of the trip seem to stack the numbers in favor of a lower fuel economy number, so the fact I wasn't even lower is great news.

One final noticable trait of this J-Pipe is a very very small amount of rougher idle. I wouldn't even call it "rougher" either, as it's almost like somebody installed the worlds tiniest "lumpy cam" in the engine somewhere, haha. I will perhaps reset my ECU tomorrow from the fuse box and see if the engine computer smooths it out by relearning that it is more efficient, but only time will tell. As it is though, it is not anything I'm worried about and my tach doesn't even show the slightest movement in the needle at stops. I could live with this for the rest of the ownership of the car if I found out i had no choice.

I hope you enjoyed my review and it will help energize you to make this a purchase that is well-deserving of going on your ride.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
YAYYYYYYYSSSSS!!!!

Thank you sooooo much!

Glad to see you're back! And the J-pipe looks so well made, wow!

@ Josh: When can we order it? lol j/k

I'm eager to see a dyno or some hard data on the performance gains.

Great post btw, very well written. It made a nice start to my Sunday morning!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Morning wood! Was there another floor pan in place below the original J-pipe, and is there room to replace it with the new J?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Awesome writeup! What is their time-line on developing a HFC and a Catback exhaust?

Do we have any details on pricing and availability?

Got any videos for sound? Or is the sound not that different enough to hear via video?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Colorado Springs

To answer your questions:

1. I don't think we'll get to see a dyno on how well this performs. The same goes with any mod for the 4G SH-AWD simply because the AWD system apparently doesn't respond to dyno's well. After all, that's been the one shortfall of the Takeda intake and the gains it would/should make on the SH-AWD version.

2. I don't think there was a floor pan over the J-Pipe area, but I never looked under the car to verify it was there to begin with. The new J-Pipe sets about 1/2 inch lower than the stock one (which now puts it below the crossmember), but because it's right under the wheels, it shouldn't have issues scraping speedbumps. I'll get a picture of it.

3. I don't know the timeline for this stuff coming out, but I believe Eric at B&B said that Josh has put an order in for 15 J-Pipes preliminarily. I know Excelerate sells a cat-delete pipe (or at least they have pictures of it on here) but that wasn't made by B&B because Eric was talking to me about how the TL would take well to the deletion of that secondary cat.

4. Mike Boat told me that when I got my J-Pipe installed, that I should be able to see the prototype cat-back for the TL somewhere in the shop, but I didn't come across it and I forgot to ask them about it.

This is just what I've heard so far, but both Mike and Eric have heard and driven my TL with the J-Pipe on and their prototype exhaust. Mike told me that the car wasn't loud and that the sound was just like a luxury car should be (the tone of his voice almost made him sound like he thought it should've been louder ) and Eric told me that it "screamed" at the upper RPM levels and sounded "awesome," but that under 3000 RPM, you shouldn't really hear it at all.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Great news!
I remember you talking about it in an older thread that you'd be willing to drive down for a test fitment once you got back.
Thanks for keeping your word
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Very nice, Should post an acceleration video as well as a pass by to hear if there is a sound difference.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Colorado Springs

Just wanted to show two pictures.

This is the color the J-Pipe has turned thus far (funny, I thought it'd be hotter where it's at and turn more blue and red around the bends)

And this is as good of a "clearance" shot as I can get. You can barely make out how much lower the J-Pipe is compared to the rest of the underbody components.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome write up! I am defo on board for a j-pipe. Now we need a high flow cat! Lol, I have a teach in el paso in a few months. Maybe I can see your j pipe in person then?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Racer

^ *pause* no homo!! lmao
Old 07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Colorado Springs

I would let you see it for sure man, but I'm out of here tomorrow and on my way to FT Lee, probably never to return to El Paso again. Enjoy El Paso though!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Jersey?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I will perhaps reset my ECU tomorrow from the fuse box and see if the engine computer smooths it out by relearning that it is more efficient, but only time will tell. As it is though, it is not anything I'm worried about and my tach doesn't even show the slightest movement in the needle at stops. I could live with this for the rest of the ownership of the car if I found out i had no choice.

I hope you enjoyed my review and it will help energize you to make this a purchase that is well-deserving of going on your ride.
Awesome review! Just wondering how you reset your ECU from the fuse box? I would assume its in the fuse box under the hood... Thanks again for the write up!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice, thanks for volunteering. Too bad they couldn't do a full catback while you there. I think that was my stock J-Pipe, I had sent one to Josh to send to them. ;]

Man, that clearance scares me a bit, are you dropped? I'm lowered and have to be careful as it is.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
COTM Coordinator

Do we know a price on this yet?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
First off thank you to prepreludesh for offering his vehicle and time. I'm glad we were able to get this worked out. It's been a long time coming and as you can see BB is a little late in giving me updates. I didn't even get any of the pics yet to post up.

Originally Posted by YetiTL

@ Josh: When can we order it? lol j/k

I'm eager to see a dyno or some hard data on the performance gains.
I'm still waiting on specifics from BB. I'm sure the j-pipe gains are very similar to the 3rd gen TL. 10-15 hp and 15-20 ft lbs of tq.

Originally Posted by petec2010
Awesome writeup! What is their time-line on developing a HFC and a Catback exhaust?

Do we have any details on pricing and availability?

Got any videos for sound? Or is the sound not that different enough to hear via video?
We already have a test pipe and HFC available for the 09+ TL AWD. Catback was jigged while the car was there. I should have pics and ETA's and pricing on everything soon.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yay!

lol.. cant wait
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
We already have a test pipe and HFC available for the 09+ TL AWD. Catback was jigged while the car was there. I should have pics and ETA's and pricing on everything soon.
There is already an HFC available? I can't find it on the website.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Racer

+1 I've been looking for the HFC as well
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by petec2010
There is already an HFC available? I can't find it on the website.
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-349577.aspx

Originally Posted by SSGHutch
+1 I've been looking for the HFC as well
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-349577.aspx
Old 07-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Pro

In order to install the J-Pipe, do we have a remove a black floor panel or is the OEM J-Pipe already exposed like in the photos? Since I live in Canada and we got slush for 6 months per year, I wouldn't want to exposed the exhaust systems to too much crap...

Thanks!

Last edited by YetiTL; 07-17-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: additionnal info
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM
COTM Coordinator

these are the pre cats right? do you know the gains on these and is it 300 for the pair or 300 each?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by YetiTL
In order to install the J-Pipe, do we have a remove a black floor panel or is the OEM J-Pipe already exposed like in the photos? Since I live in Canada and we got slush for 6 months per year, I wouldn't want to exposed the exhaust systems to too much crap...

Thanks!
Not sure. I haven't installed one yet personally. But the steel is T304 Stainless Steel which is one of the highest grade steels available in our industry. So slush should not be an issue.

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
these are the pre cats right? do you know the gains on these and is it 300 for the pair or 300 each?
These are the replacements for the third cat, not the pre-cats. We do not modify the main cats on the vehicle.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Colorado Springs

Id like to give everybody an update on my mpg gains with the j-pipe as I think that it would push many of you over the edge on the decision to purchase one.

All along my drive from el paso to clarksville, tn I noticed that my MMC was recording my mpg at 28.5! This was recorded on my car that was loaded with 500 lbs worth of stuff as well as me (230 lbs). This is a verified weight because I had to get my car weighed in el paso to get reimbursed for doing my own move. Also, I was averaging speeds of 75-85mph the whole time. Traffic was not flowing well in many parts, so this includes a lot of slow down and speed up driving. I was running 91 octane until my last fillup in arkansas (where it was 93) and the temperature was 95ish the whole way.

At each pump stop, I recorded my actual mpg numbers to go like this... 27.2, 27.8 and 28.1 even though it was showing upwards of 28.5 the whole trip.

Therefore, I am officially going to say that this j-pipe will give you a highway veriffied 1.5 to 2mpg increase compared to my previous flat-line driving average of 26.2 high point when my exhaust was stock.

And when coupled with the power increases, this should be on the top of everyone's christmas list!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I have car ADD

^ thanks for the update... j-pipes, and most exhaust mods not only increase power, but MPG too

Manufacturers make more restrictive piping to help reduce emissions and noise.... boo

Josh-- Any possible ETAs? will we be seeing this before the XLR8 exhaust?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^ thanks for the update... j-pipes, and most exhaust mods not only increase power, but MPG too

Manufacturers make more restrictive piping to help reduce emissions and noise.... boo

Josh-- Any possible ETAs? will we be seeing this before the XLR8 exhaust?
The j-pipes are in production now. They will be finished before the exhaust.

I would estimate 3-4 weeks before the j-pipes can ship. I have about 10 being built right now.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I have car ADD

^ taking pre-orders yet?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^ taking pre-orders yet?
Yes we are.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-349736.aspx

We have 10 in production. So first come first serve.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Pro

I just ordered mine!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
If we order how soon can we expect it to ship? - 3-4 weeks from 7/21/10?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jnc2000
If we order how soon can we expect it to ship? - 3-4 weeks from 7/21/10?
I would expect about 4 weeks before I see them in hand.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would expect about 4 weeks before I see them in hand.
XLR8, I'm currently deployed to AFG and the internet connectivity is not the greatest. Is there a contact email address for a sales rep so I can start putting my order in?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Colorado Springs

Just got back from another 1300 mile round trip from Richmond, VA to Clarksville, TN over the weekend. Had 3 fillups for the whole trip and my average mileage for each fillup was: 27.5mpg, 28.3mgp, 27.3mpg.

Facts:

1. Extremely hilly terrain (usually means worse mileage)
2. A/C on all the time (level 1, 72 degrees)
3. Oil Life 100-90%
4. Average speed recorded on diagnostic: 69mph.
5. 25 minute traffic jam on I-81 where traffic crawled at a snails pace on the last tank of gas.

Overall, another excellent showing of how well this J-Pipe will increase highway mileage!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Just got back from another 1300 mile round trip from Richmond, VA to Clarksville, TN over the weekend. Had 3 fillups for the whole trip and my average mileage for each fillup was: 27.5mpg, 28.3mgp, 27.3mpg.

Facts:

1. Extremely hilly terrain (usually means worse mileage)
2. A/C on all the time (level 1, 72 degrees)
3. Oil Life 100-90%
4. Average speed recorded on diagnostic: 69mph.
5. 25 minute traffic jam on I-81 where traffic crawled at a snails pace on the last tank of gas.

Overall, another excellent showing of how well this J-Pipe will increase highway mileage!
Thank you for the feedback.

Originally Posted by C_MARTY
XLR8, I'm currently deployed to AFG and the internet connectivity is not the greatest. Is there a contact email address for a sales rep so I can start putting my order in?
sales@excelerateperformance.com
Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

I should have the j-pipes by the end of the next week; only a handful left.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I ordered mine last Friday, hopefully I'll get one of the first!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Pro

I should have the j-pipes by the end of the next week; only a handful left.
That's great news! Thanks for the update!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoooooot! order placed. I cannot wait to see the difference especially since I already have the Takeda Intake
Old 08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Pro

Any news about the ETA of the J-pipe? I must get my car to my mecanic to remedy to the hissing sound I now have since the P"R TB and IMG gasket installation. I had hoped to do all that stuff at once during my summer vacation...

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Possibly the first J-Pipe installed on a 4th Gen (SH-AWD)