Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
^^

Don't forget law enforcement!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Just placed my order for these mufflers. I should have them on in 2-3 weeks. Can't wait!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Thanks for this helpful mod. I get all the speed I need out of my Vette, this mod will be great for the TL to get a mild roar on spirited runs while keeping me smiling on my daily commute!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Potmilkz: Hi, is that your car in post 97?
Looks fantastic, I love it. Way to go.
BTW, I am an old retired geezer (but I can be immature forever)!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 10 fwd tl and i installed magnaflows w dual 4" magnaflow tips and stock pipes and it gives it a nice tone. Didnt want it to loud. I got a good deal on hottexhaust.com with a coupon code for $250 mufflers and tips.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Black10TL
I have a 10 fwd tl and i installed magnaflows w dual 4" magnaflow tips and stock pipes and it gives it a nice tone. Didnt want it to loud. I got a good deal on hottexhaust.com with a coupon code for $250 mufflers and tips.
Did you go with this same setup?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
Potmilkz: Hi, is that your car in post 97?
Looks fantastic, I love it. Way to go.
BTW, I am an old retired geezer (but I can be immature forever)!

yea, that is my car

thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
just remember guys, if you are going with a full custom exhaust, make sure it is mandrel bend and not crush bend when they bend the pipes.. it turns a 2.5 circle into oval shape if you use crush bend which affects the flow of the exhaust
Old 11-20-2013, 08:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone done a drive by video with the magnaflow yet?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
Dee did it.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:35 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kits

What's the best kit I put on my 09TL? I WAS LOOKING AT AN aero kit I figured somebody up on here could give me a few ideals.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 PM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by EXQLUSV-TL
What's the best kit I put on my 09TL? I WAS LOOKING AT AN aero kit I figured somebody up on here could give me a few ideals.
You're talking about exhaust, right? I always get confused because Canadian dealers refer to the lip kit as an Aero kit

Anyways, assuming you're talking about exhaust, it really depends on your budget and goal. Pseudo put together a nice summary of your options in his Stickied post:

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
First Modification: Exhaust.

I fully bolted my TL and did exhaust last. Everything felt choked until I did this. Based up on that experience, I would say - "Lead with Exhaust".

Options:

~$1100+Shipping - XLR8 CatBack
~$1500 +Shipping - ATLP CatBack
~$ 950 +Shipping - Comptech Mufflers (exhaust shop required)
~$150 Shipped - Magnaflow 11225 Mufflers (exhaust shop required)

I did the Magnaflows and I am not disappointed. It's not too loud in the car, it's very sporty sounding, and definitely unlocked the power of my other mods. I would refuse to believ that the ATLP catback delivers 10x the performance of my Magnaflows - with no disrespect intended to what looks to be a gorgeous exahust by them.
Hope this helps! I can vouch for the quality and enjoyment of having the ATLP kit, but then again it's quite a bit more expensive.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Decided to do the Magnaflow mufflers today. Mufflers are $75 a piece on Amazon - I paid the shop $100 a piece for them (but supporting a friend's local business). Shop labor was $100 to remove the old mufflers, re-use the factory tips, and install, and all said and done took about 90 minutes / just shy of 2 hours. Basically - $300 sport exhaust - using Magnaflows.

The sound: I like it. It does have a low, low, low drone at low rpms, but it's not but barely audible from the cabin.

The sound is aggressive (but not ricey) - deep tone, bits of rasp on the downspin.

It sounds as good as anything I've heard in videos - and videos don't do the sound justice on any of these things.

I'll get a sound clip up.
Hi there,

I know this thread is quite old, but I wanted to know, did you experience any drone after installing this mufflers?
Let me explain, I did a muffler delete (both mufflers are gone) and I'm running straight pipes, and there's an anoying drone when crousing around 2k-3k rpm.
I don't want to spend too much on mufflers and I narrowed down to Borla pro xs or the Magnaflows. Following your experience I thought maybe you can advise on how your setup performed on regards of drone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I installed the HFPC's from RV6 and the J-pipe from XLR8 prior which changed the tone a little. After that, I installed the magnaflows. I found it to be just as described - more aggressive but not ricey. I really like the sound from the outside of the car. It almost sounds like a V8. However, it does increase the drone a bit in the cabin. Personally, it's far from annoying. I don't even notice it anymore. I had far more in my 3G TL when I installed an aftermarket cat-back. I thought about dinking around with the mid-muffler or resonator but at this point, I have no interest in touching the rest of the exhaust. It's perfect as it is.

I can't say if it added much power at all. But it's clearly more free-flowing, having looked through the magnaflows vs the two-tube system the stock mufflers use.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ponchoweed
Hi there,

I know this thread is quite old, but I wanted to know, did you experience any drone after installing this mufflers?
Let me explain, I did a muffler delete (both mufflers are gone) and I'm running straight pipes, and there's an anoying drone when crousing around 2k-3k rpm.
I don't want to spend too much on mufflers and I narrowed down to Borla pro xs or the Magnaflows. Following your experience I thought maybe you can advise on how your setup performed on regards of drone.

Thanks in advance.
MBRP Resonator and call it a day...
Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
I installed the HFPC's from RV6 and the J-pipe from XLR8 prior which changed the tone a little. After that, I installed the magnaflows. I found it to be just as described - more aggressive but not ricey. I really like the sound from the outside of the car. It almost sounds like a V8. However, it does increase the drone a bit in the cabin. Personally, it's far from annoying. I don't even notice it anymore. I had far more in my 3G TL when I installed an aftermarket cat-back. I thought about dinking around with the mid-muffler or resonator but at this point, I have no interest in touching the rest of the exhaust. It's perfect as it is.

I can't say if it added much power at all. But it's clearly more free-flowing, having looked through the magnaflows vs the two-tube system the stock mufflers use.
you get the ones op has?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2011 FWD with 11225's on it. I can probably get a video of a drive-by pretty soon, but I'm almost thinking that it's a little quiet or not aggressive enough for me with just the mufflers replaced. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like it to be a little more raspy and aggressive but not annoyingly loud.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JakeF
I have a 2011 FWD with 11225's on it. I can probably get a video of a drive-by pretty soon, but I'm almost thinking that it's a little quiet or not aggressive enough for me with just the mufflers replaced. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like it to be a little more raspy and aggressive but not annoyingly loud.
HFPC/PCD &/or Jpipe swap.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
HFPC/PCD &/or Jpipe swap.
I've been thinking about picking up a j-pipe... Do you have one on your TL? If you do, did you go with the XLR8 or ATLP? Any noticeable performance improvement? I've been sort of conflicted about it given that I've heard some people say they're getting 15+ hp and other people say they're not getting any gains from it.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 AM
Pro

I've been thinking about picking up a j-pipe... Do you have one on your TL? If you do, did you go with the XLR8 or ATLP? Any noticeable performance improvement? I've been sort of conflicted about it given that I've heard some people say they're getting 15+ hp and other people say they're not getting any gains from it.
I have a XLR8 J pipe... but I also swap the stock pre cats to the HFPC the same time. There is no true power gains IMO but exhaust do sounds deeper for those I hear in person that swap Jpipe alone. I would get the HFPC/PCD + Ktuner first before the J pipe swap. IMO working from the front to back makes more sense for sounds and gains for our cars.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure one of them is a long-tube, replacing the cat. The other leaves the cat in place. (I might be wrong here, just vaguely remembering Pseudo's sticky post)
Of course, the one that removes the cat would yield a little more power and sound louder.
Read through the comments here, and your questions will be answered.

You need to take into consideration that others may have additional mods.
Fully bolted car will see much more improvement from a better flowing exhaust, where as a stock car would see less.
Keep these things in mind, youtube search - there are a few vids on there.
There are also clips within comments above - these may not appear on youtube searches cuz they're not public.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

AWD has a more free-flowing exhaust (about 15.5%) compared to FWD models.
Also more aggressive exhaust note, especially above 3k RPM.

You could remove or replace the resonator for rasp and aggressive, but it may/may not be annoying, as members are reporting drone.
J-pipe would definitely be the way to go, especially if you are going to do it anyways.
For example, you might like the removed resonator sound, but when you get the j-pipe it could become too loud / raspy.

Hondanews: (this stuff and more are all in the FAQ section)
HIGH-FLOW EXHAUST SYSTEM WITH CLOSE-COUPLED CATALYTIC CONVERTERS

The TL 3.5-liter and TL SH-AWD® 3.7-liter engines both have exhaust manifolds that are cast directly into the cylinder heads for reduced weight, parts count and bulk. Attached directly to the cylinder heads are high-efficiency catalytic converters. The 3.5-liter engine has 900-cell/in2 converters, while the 3.7-liter engine has more free-flowing 600-cell/in2 converters. Due to closer-than-normal proximity to the exhaust ports, the close-coupled catalytic converters "light off" very quickly after the engine starts, reducing emissions in the critical start-up mode. To ensure optimum flow and low backpressure, a hydroformed two-into-one collector connects the close-coupled catalytic converters to the main 350-cell under-floor catalytic converter.

Downstream of the under-floor converter, the 3.5-liter engine has a single pipe that splits to a pair of resonators, each with a final high-performance muffler and rectangular exhaust tip. Exhaust flow has been increased by 1.5-percent compared to the previous TL 3.2-liter engine.

The 3.7-liter SH-AWD® engine has a special high-flow exhaust system that splits just past the under-floor catalytic converter. To provide clearance for the all-wheel-drive rear-mounted differential, one exhaust pipe is routed on each side of the driveshaft and feeds into a high-flow muffler on each side of the TL. Dual outlets on each side (a total of four) give the TL SH-AWD® a unique appearance. The SH-AWD® system has a substantial increase in flow of 17-percent versus the previous TL Type-S system. In keeping with its performance character, the 3.7-liter SH-AWD® system is also tuned to have a sportier, more aggressive exhaust note above 3,000 rpm than does the 3.5-liter TL.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Instructor

I have a XLR8 J pipe... but I also swap the stock pre cats to the HFPC the same time. There is no true power gains IMO but exhaust do sounds deeper for those I hear in person that swap Jpipe alone. I would get the HFPC/PCD + Ktuner first before the J pipe swap. IMO working from the front to back makes more sense for sounds and gains for our cars.

ive seen quite a few threads that say PCD/HFPC + ktuner are the best option. I don't really have access to a ktune dealer, at least not within 600 miles. Would you still go with the tuner? Is the PCD a lot louder than the high flow? I'm all stock except the mufflers.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Pro

ive seen quite a few threads that say PCD/HFPC + ktuner are the best option. I don't really have access to a ktune dealer, at least not within 600 miles. Would you still go with the tuner? Is the PCD a lot louder than the high flow? I'm all stock except the mufflers.
You can order Ktuner online... or buy it used from someone who has it unlock... PCD would be louder yes BUT can the sound and rasp can be fine tune wit proper resonators. For getting custom tune you can always etune.. a few tuners does it.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Instructor

You can order Ktuner online... or buy it used from someone who has it unlock... PCD would be louder yes BUT can the sound and rasp can be fine tune wit proper resonators. For getting custom tune you can always etune.. a few tuners does it.
Are the power gains for the PCD over the high flow worth it? I'd probably order both that and an upgraded resonator at the same time so I'm not driving around sounding like a race car lol. I know someone who does tuning but I'm not sure what platforms he uses. I would like to get a dyno tune after the mods.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Would this be the correct mufflers I need? With the one side offset?

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mickman
Would this be the correct mufflers I need? With the one side offset?

https://www.amazon.ca/Magnaflow-1122...1225+magnaflow
Thats it. Those are the exact ones I bought, 61.49 sold by Amazon. I'll try to record a pass with them later today or tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Pro

Are the power gains for the PCD over the high flow worth it? I'd probably order both that and an upgraded resonator at the same time so I'm not driving around sounding like a race car lol. I know someone who does tuning but I'm not sure what platforms he uses. I would like to get a dyno tune after the mods.
It depends..... I went HFPC because I did not wanted to deal with that smell having a little one around. If your looking MAX power gains and on a budget the PCD is where its at. If you got the extra $$ and plan to keep the car long term then HFPC will be a wise good investment. So it boils down to you really can't go wrong with either and your car will sound bad ass.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

It depends..... I went HFPC because I did not wanted to deal with that smell having a little one around. If your looking MAX power gains and on a budget the PCD is where its at. If you got the extra $$ and plan to keep the car long term then HFPC will be a wise good investment. So it boils down to you really can't go wrong with either and your car will sound bad ass.
you have an exhaust or jpipe/hfpc?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hyphology
you have an exhaust or jpipe/hfpc?
Borla S-Type Muffler, RV6 HFPC, & XLR8 J Pipe....
Old 08-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Borla S-Type Muffler, RV6 HFPC, & XLR8 J Pipe....
nice. Like the sound? Trying to decide on mufflers myself.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Instructor

I made a short clip of a flyby with the magnaflow 11225s. The sound isn't the best but I was running out of daylight.

The following users liked this post:
hoonee46 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Pro

nice. Like the sound? Trying to decide on mufflers myself.
Love it... My recommendation to anyone who wants sound and power work from the front to back. And I would get KTUNER first then work from the front to back.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Here's a video of the exhausts while I'm parked.

hoonee46 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Love it... My recommendation to anyone who wants sound and power work from the front to back. And I would get KTUNER first then work from the front to back.
I have jpipe already just going to order the rest at once this time. What are the diameters of that muffler?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Pro

I have jpipe already just going to order the rest at once this time. What are the diameters of that muffler?
Mines is 2.5... you can do 2.25
Old 08-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Thats it. Those are the exact ones I bought, 61.49 sold by Amazon. I'll try to record a pass with them later today or tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm if they are the same for both FWD/AWD?
Old 08-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

IIRC, per one of the comments above, AWD and FWD have slightly different exhaust designs due to AWD stuff in the way.
Competent muffler shop should be able to fit it just fine.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

I thought you would want to get a tune after bolting everything up?
Otherwise you have to keep tuning it, no?
Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Instructor

I have a FWD if that helps. I can't confirm how well they fit on the SH-AWD though.
hoonee46 (08-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 11225's Installed