KTuner w/Takeda intake (2012 TL 3.7)

Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KTuner w/Takeda intake (2012 TL 3.7)

Hey guys,

Just hoping y'all could help me understand a few things. I bought and installed the Takeda intake (no other mods) knowing well that many people had reported loss in torque/heat soak, etc. since there were the other handful of people who said they had no issues and it was well worth it. The sound itself is awesome of course, I don't notice a difference in performance so much but my fuel economy has definitely suffered, and that is with the same driving style as before.

I visited a local tuner who instantly recommended the KTuner since that is what he used with the only other TL he has worked with in the past. Showed me the dyno sheets that showed some nice power/torque gains for an NA. Also mentioned that the fuel economy issue was due to a "safeguard" that the manufacturer puts in the car which backs off the timing and makes the car work harder when the intake temperature gets too high. He said the tune can also eliminate that.

Have any of you added just a KTuner and takeda intake? If so, what kind of gains/differences did you notice? If I could get a nice chunk of added power and get my highway fuel economy back I'd drop the $600 but I've had nightmares with tuning cars before. I'd want to make sure its worth it and safe for the car long term.

Any and all insight is appreciated!
Old 07-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
with a naturally aspirated engine, you're not going to gain much hp from either short ram intake or tune...
what YOU will gain is drivability, meaning..the tuner will smooth things out and make sure the engine isnt knocking.
you might gain a little bit of power, but dont go in thinking you will gain... it's more for optimization and efficiency...

and it's all about the individual tuner...if that person, or tuner, can optimize the engine without hurting things, then you'll have a good tune. if that person doesnt know how to tune...well, good luck