J37A4 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
J37A4 Turbo

Has anyone done a 4th Gen TL (J37A4) Turbo? Wanted to see how it runs. If someone has done it would you mind posting which turbo you used? Thanks alot. Also Pictures if you can please
Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
No turbo yet, there is a supercharger but one was only built and doesn't run to full capacity.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by types1fan
No turbo yet, there is a supercharger but one was only built and doesn't run to full capacity.
Yes I know CT-Engineering made a supercharger for the 4th Gen TL but IMO superchargers lack the power that turbos give. Not to bash on the CTE Supercharger but I like turbos better. I know there isn't a turbo made for the 4th Gen TL but I was wondering if anyone had customized their turbo kit to fit a 4th Gen TL.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
i can clearly see you know nothing about turbo cars... or how they are built..

the most important question you need to ask.. "are you able to tune it?"

the answer is no.. to simply put it.. without a tune the turbo is pretty much nothing but an engine bay dress up.. tune is the key.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz

the answer is no.. to simply put it.. without a tune the turbo is pretty much nothing but an engine bay dress up.. tune is the key.
It's post like this make me mess with you. A few years ago you asked very similar questions. I went back and read so,e of your posts and threads. Now you act like you know everything and you make smart ass useless comments like this to noobs or people uneducated in this particular field. You asked tons of questions about wheels and offsets and now that you learned them you bash members that don't know that info. You were once an uneducated member, why don't you try and help out instead of being useless?
The following 9 users liked this post by Brock79:
CerberusKy (03-24-2014), Geodan (03-24-2014), ItzRocky (03-24-2014), lji (03-24-2014), Pandayo (03-23-2014), TennesseeTL (06-17-2020), TuroTL (04-16-2020), types1fan (03-22-2014), ucf_bronco (03-22-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ItzRocky
Has anyone done a 4th Gen TL (J37A4) Turbo? Wanted to see how it runs. If someone has done it would you mind posting which turbo you used? Thanks alot. Also Pictures if you can please
To answer your question properly, there are no tunes available for the 4G so a turbo would be pointless at this time. I'm not 100% sure though that it hasn't been tried. There are a lot of people out there with these cars that are not members of this forum. So anything is possible, yet if there was a tune out there someone on here would have heard of it. I was out to dinner last night and a guy pulled up with a silverish/blue SH AWD next to mine. He had the beak and rear trim colored match and never heard of this forum. He just did it because he liked the look and said mine was the first other TL he has seen with body matched grill and rear.
The following 4 users liked this post by Brock79:
ItzRocky (03-24-2014), justnspace (03-22-2014), types1fan (03-22-2014), ucf_bronco (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
there are no mass produced tunes.
The following users liked this post:
losimus (03-23-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Boomslang harness + ms3
The following 2 users liked this post by HeartTLs:
justnspace (03-23-2014), losimus (03-23-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced

First of all, no im not as educated about this as other people but I have heard talks of people from other forums attempting to turbo their 4th Gen TL. That is why I have asked is there anyone who has done it to see if anyone was successful in do so. I know there are no tunes. I have done my research, but like I said, there were people talking about it and I wanted to see if it was actually put into action. Don't be a troll. Im asking if people had tried or not. I dont need your if it isnt helpful. Thank you very much.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brock79
To answer your question properly, there are no tunes available for the 4G so a turbo would be pointless at this time. I'm not 100% sure though that it hasn't been tried. There are a lot of people out there with these cars that are not members of this forum. So anything is possible, yet if there was a tune out there someone on here would have heard of it. I was out to dinner last night and a guy pulled up with a silverish/blue SH AWD next to mine. He had the beak and rear trim colored match and never heard of this forum. He just did it because he liked the look and said mine was the first other TL he has seen with body matched grill and rear.

TY Brock for standing up for noobies like me. I understand that there is no tune for the 4th Gen TL yet. Ive seen ppl talk about putting a turbo in their 4th Gen TL so I just wanted to see if anyone in AZ has done it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
there are no mass produced tunes.

You are absolutely right. But I believe there are custom tunings.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts
TY Brock for standing up for noobies like me. I understand that there is no tune for the 4th Gen TL yet. Ive seen ppl talk about putting a turbo in their 4th Gen TL so I just wanted to see if anyone in AZ has done it.
Who are these people that you are referring to?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Since when do turbos make more HP, someone needs to let NHRA know since they are superchaeged. Superchargers make boost faster and TQ quicker. Granted they cost HP to turn the rotor pack so they are not as efficient. For heavy cars or trucks that need instant TQ supercharger is the way to go. Lighter cars that don't need the instant TQ benefit from turbos. 4 Gen needs a SC because of weight and drive train loss. Turbo on the car would take to long to spool up making any real difference.

You can build a standalone to run the engine just have to give up a lot of features on the car
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Camaro194
Who are these people that you are referring to?
If you really need to know then I would need to google it again. LOL. Thats where I found talk of ppl that said they were going to attempt to turbo their 4G TL
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
OP are you asking just out of curiosity or planning to do it to your own and gathering information?

I agree. SC will be the way to go.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
It's post like this make me mess with you. A few years ago you asked very similar questions. I went back and read so,e of your posts and threads. Now you act like you know everything and you make smart ass useless comments like this to noobs or people uneducated in this particular field. You asked tons of questions about wheels and offsets and now that you learned them you bash members that don't know that info. You were once an uneducated member, why don't you try and help out instead of being useless?
mess with me? clearly you dont know where you stand on this forum. i told what the OP what he needed to know..

i have bash on certain wheels members choose but i have never bashed on the offsets they use if you are being specific..

what i said, i stand by 100%... if OP said he has "done his research" then his research got him nowhere. It is clear that in order a turbo car to work properly it has to be tuned.. just like a computer with new upgraded parts... you still have to tune the computer to work with the parts installed. Concept is not hard to grasp.. anyone can slap on a turbo, heck i can throw on a turbo my toyota previa but will it work properly??? hell no.

and on top of that your post clearly stated what i statated.. you just worded it differently.. way to contradict yourself on the "being useless" statement
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

mess with me? clearly you dont know where you stand on this forum. i told what the OP what he needed to know..

i have bash on certain wheels members choose but i have never bashed on the offsets they use if you are being specific..

what i said, i stand by 100%... if OP said he has "done his research" then his research got him nowhere. It is clear that in order a turbo car to work properly it has to be tuned.. just like a computer with new upgraded parts... you still have to tune the computer to work with the parts installed. Concept is not hard to grasp.. anyone can slap on a turbo, heck i can throw on a turbo my toyota previa but will it work properly??? hell no.

and on top of that your post clearly stated what i statated.. you just worded it differently.. way to contradict yourself on the "being useless" statement
I know exactly where I stand, head and shoulders above you. Go back and re-read what I wrote about the wheels. Obviously you missed part of what I wrote. The part where you knew nothing about wheels at all.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
OP are you asking just out of curiosity or planning to do it to your own and gathering information?

I agree. SC will be the way to go.
Asking out of curiosity. See if anyone has actually done it and maybe doing it myself if they had everything intact and working properly
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced

If I was to do anything it would be after the 2015 TLX GT comes out. If the price of the TLX GT isn't way too over the top then I might just trade my current car in for the TLX GT instead. If it is way too expensive then I would just start working on my current car instead.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Turbos have the capacity and ability to produce TONS more HP/TQ over superchargers, if you look at those "NHRA" cars, the reason why they run superchargers is not because of power output, it does increase the output, but those motors are already pushing 1000+ hp on their own. Superchargers are very limited (depending on which style/type you are using lobe style superchargers cannot spool up as fast as a turbine). In my industry, we use turbo-supercharged diesel motors.

And turbocharged vehicles require A LOT more to run efficiently/more safely than a supercharged vehicle. Tuning CAN be done to ANY car, Honda doesn't have SUPER-GENIOUSES that make an "un-crackable" ECU, BUT it is VERY expensive to run a stand-alone and tune it to run properly. Not to mention engine reinforcement that is needed to actually utilize any type of boost and head building to allow the forced air to move/flow efficiently...in all, it's just EXPENSIVE to build a one-off turbo kit for our cars. Do-able, but expensive.
ItzRocky (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by losimus
Turbos have the capacity and ability to produce TONS more HP/TQ over superchargers, if you look at those "NHRA" cars, the reason why they run superchargers is not because of power output, it does increase the output, but those motors are already pushing 1000+ hp on their own. Superchargers are very limited (depending on which style/type you are using lobe style superchargers cannot spool up as fast as a turbine). In my industry, we use turbo-supercharged diesel motors.

And turbocharged vehicles require A LOT more to run efficiently/more safely than a supercharged vehicle. Tuning CAN be done to ANY car, Honda doesn't have SUPER-GENIOUSES that make an "un-crackable" ECU, BUT it is VERY expensive to run a stand-alone and tune it to run properly. Not to mention engine reinforcement that is needed to actually utilize any type of boost and head building to allow the forced air to move/flow efficiently...in all, it's just EXPENSIVE to build a one-off turbo kit for our cars. Do-able, but expensive.

Thank you for your input on this as this will show potmilkz that he is more noob than I am. I know there are no mass produced tunes by HONDATA but there are custom tuners out there that can help you tune your car to run perfectly with all the mods that you put on. Expensive but doable. Now back to my question, Has anyone seen or done it?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
No !

But I think no one in Acurazine would mind if you investing in one, and report back to the forum.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I bet the internals and the block can't handle much more than 420 hp before something blows up in the engine. Unless everything is already forged, and the block is made for more power. I know the 1999-04 mustangs could only take 400hp, but the 03-04 Cobras could handle 1000hp on the block and internals.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I bet the internals and the block can't handle much more than 420 hp before something blows up in the engine. Unless everything is already forged, and the block is made for more power. I know the 1999-04 mustangs could only take 400hp, but the 03-04 Cobras could handle 1000hp on the block and internals.
The internals on the 3.7 are forged, not for weight savings but for strength. I guarantee they will handle a hell of a lot more than that. Hell the stock J32a2 has seen well over 720hp at the wheels with stock internals.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh and its a long read but Robert boosted a J37. Work starts here

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...873314&page=16

Name:  9C879CC5-9D88-40AE-885F-AE4C945E08BD_zpscjvy65qe.jpg
Views: 5240
Size:  116.2 KB

Last edited by fsttyms1; 03-23-2014 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
CerberusKy (03-24-2014), ItzRocky (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The internals on the 3.7 are forged, not for weight savings but for strength. I guarantee they will handle a hell of a lot more than that. Hell the stock J32a2 has seen well over 720hp at the wheels with stock internals.

the block may be able to handle the higher compression/pressure, but how sturdy are the pistons and it's rings/ringlands and crankshaft/bearings? Not to mention the heads, after a certain HP and even RPM, the valves tend to float and without building them, they stop helping produce power.

For example: my STI's internals (block and ringlands) are only suitable for 300-400 HP...from 400-500, you need forged pistons...anything after 500 HP, you need block reinforcement, rods, bearings, pistons, etc.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Oh and its a long read but Robert boosted a J37. Work starts here

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...873314&page=16

WOW thats a long thread LOL. Will read through that to see how he did. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/announcing-my-twin-turbo-zdx-project-889142/

Here's a crazy Russian dude trying to turbo his J37 in his ZDX.

Quicknotes: He keeps stringing everyone along, or at least his shop is stringing everyone along. I don't think they have any idea what the hell they're doing. In the end, they found multiple reasons why they can't turbo the J37, so they're pitching it out and ordering him a J35 and are going to turbo that.

The common sense approach to why nobody has turbo'ed a 4G yet is the price per gain argument. You're going to ultimately invest (see: throw away) way too much money into this project and not get back the investment you think you're going to get.

I speak from experience on having visions of grandeur on a project car that I felt I was restraining myself heavily on and keeping my dreams down to earth (see my Supercharged Honda Prelude project build for the hell I went through and still go through). If there isn't some dedicated aftermarket company that offers warranties on their work and sells to thousands of customers, you may as well take reliability and ease of use off the shelf. Quite frankly, the TL doesn't have that and the guys who you think are posting on here just to be trolls are just cutting to the chase by getting you to realize your question should have been as simple as googling "turbocharged 4th generation Acura TL" and seeing the answer in front of you: "No results found."
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889142

Here's a crazy Russian dude trying to turbo his J37 in his ZDX.

Quicknotes: He keeps stringing everyone along, or at least his shop is stringing everyone along. I don't think they have any idea what the hell they're doing. In the end, they found multiple reasons why they can't turbo the J37, so they're pitching it out and ordering him a J35 and are going to turbo that.

The common sense approach to why nobody has turbo'ed a 4G yet is the price per gain argument. You're going to ultimately invest (see: throw away) way too much money into this project and not get back the investment you think you're going to get.

I speak from experience on having visions of grandeur on a project car that I felt I was restraining myself heavily on and keeping my dreams down to earth (see my Supercharged Honda Prelude project build for the hell I went through and still go through). If there isn't some dedicated aftermarket company that offers warranties on their work and sells to thousands of customers, you may as well take reliability and ease of use off the shelf. Quite frankly, the TL doesn't have that and the guys who you think are posting on here just to be trolls are just cutting to the chase by getting you to realize your question should have been as simple as googling "turbocharged 4th generation Acura TL" and seeing the answer in front of you: "No results found."

Some people do it for the passion. And there has been some people that are doing it. If you can refer to the post by fsttyms1 then you would know that there are people doing it. They just swapped the engine to another car instead. Thats why the title is J37A4 Turbo. My post says 4th Gen TL or J37A4 turbo meaning the engine can be in the TL or just turboed in another car. As long as its the J37 engine that I would want to know about it. I totally agree with you that boosting a J37 will be extremely expensive. Just the Tuning alone will cost a fortune. But some people would just want to do it for their own satisfaction. Pride to have a something that not everyone has unlike how everyone has a modded civic. Its just like how some people will spend all their money to buy a rolex and some people will just settle for a citizen watch. Its for the passion, pride and satisfaction.

Last edited by ItzRocky; 03-24-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Just to let you know that the thread that fsttyms1 posted, Im still reading through that dam thread because ITS SO DAM LONG!!! lol
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by losimus
the block may be able to handle the higher compression/pressure, but how sturdy are the pistons and it's rings/ringlands and crankshaft/bearings? Not to mention the heads, after a certain HP and even RPM, the valves tend to float and without building them, they stop helping produce power.

For example: my STI's internals (block and ringlands) are only suitable for 300-400 HP...from 400-500, you need forged pistons...anything after 500 HP, you need block reinforcement, rods, bearings, pistons, etc.
The 3.7 internals are forged. They are very strong. There is no reason it coudnt reliably make 500hp (with a good tune). They have oil squirters to help cool piston temps, The crank will handle over 1k bearings and rods will easily handle the power. Adding a turbo isnt spinning the engine any faster, the valvetrain on the TL is more than adequate for the job. Only once you start reving it beyond the redline is where they start to become an issue (the reason the 700+hp J32 finally broke because he was pushing it beyond 7600 rpm and the valve hit the piston)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

The 3.7 internals are forged. They are very strong. There is no reason it coudnt reliably make 500hp (with a good tune). They have oil squirters to help cool piston temps, The crank will handle over 1k bearings and rods will easily handle the power. Adding a turbo isnt spinning the engine any faster, the valvetrain on the TL is more than adequate for the job. Only once you start reving it beyond the redline is where they start to become an issue (the reason the 700+hp J32 finally broke because he was pushing it beyond 7600 rpm and the valve hit the piston)
I bet it broke because of the cam regrind or the pistons not having the proper relief for the valves. This is very common when swapping oem parts to performance parts and not getting the right ones. It's commonly referred to as piston slap.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I bet it broke because of the cam regrind or the pistons not having the proper relief for the valves. This is very common when swapping oem parts to performance parts and not getting the right ones. It's commonly referred to as piston slap.
Non of that was swapped. It was a fully stock engine other than a ported intake manifold and runners. It was because the stock valve springs started to float. They arent strong enough for that rpm. He was also putting the power thru a stock 6spd manual trans

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?p=17230

Last edited by fsttyms1; 03-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Thank you for your input on this as this will show potmilkz that he is more noob than I am. I know there are no mass produced tunes by HONDATA but there are custom tuners out there that can help you tune your car to run perfectly with all the mods that you put on. Expensive but doable. Now back to my question, Has anyone seen or done it?

Anything can be done but that didn't help prove anything. Superchargers rather it's roots or twin screw are positive displacement blowers. Basically always on boost since they are driven off the engines crankshaft. Boost is instantaneous and they produce maximum boost by 2500 to 3000 rpm. About 80% of their boost is created by 1500 to 1800 rpm. That's why heavy cars love them so much.

Turbos are much more efficient since they are turned or spooled off off the engines exhaust gasses. It takes no horsepower from the engine to spin the turbo that is why it's so efficient, free horsepower. Now on the down side you have the extra piping on a turbo that runs from exhaust to turbo and back to intake plus intercooler if using one. Most use external waste gate to better control boost creep and blow off. Something you don't have to worry about with supercharger.

Tuning a supercharger is easier because it's a constant factor. Turbos get a little tricky since you have to raise fuel pressure with boost. Some use FMUs and some like the 1:1 fuel regulators. Reason dragsters and even monster trucks use superchargers is the instantaneous boost that's needed getting them out the hole. Trying to keep it simple without getting to technical.

Last but not least turbos are oiled by the engines oiling system. Noone wants their engine oil getting superheated in a turbo and pumped back into the engine. Diesel isn't that bad since you have 40+ quarts compared to a car with 5 quarts. Not being argumentative but there are a lot of variables. On the TL supercharger all day but it's not worth the money on return gains. You would spend more money in the car to get it to work properly and break parts that have no aftermarket following
HeartTLs (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
To answer your question. No, no one has done it on here.